Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Re: MicroSD cards, is there a good brand to aim for? A quick amazon search shows prices ranging from "I can deal with that, I guess" to "Way too good to be true", and it's been awhile since I've needed to hunt down SD card reviews.

I bought one of the "way too good to be true" KomputerBay 256gb supposedly 95MB/sec cards, will get it this week and report on how terrible it is.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Another shortcoming of the Switch's hardware has been found

it involves butts

"My pussy be yankin"

/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I was about to be excited, but then I remembered that I downloaded the game. :(

And you're going to download MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 because you'll always want them available :colbert:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

http://www.macworld.com/article/3179204/gaming/how-to-use-the-nintendo-switchs-joy-cons-on-mac-and-why-youd-want-to.html

Joycons pair with a Mac fairly easily. Unfortunately you can't pair two of them into one controller, but he speculates that somebody may code up a solution someday. Pro controller works though.

He played his totally not acquired illegally SNES roms a steam tower defense game and it worked good with a joycon.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I tried pairing my Joy-Cons to my PC earlier today not expecting it to do anything and was very surprised when it just worked. Played a few NES games in MAME and it worked as well as any gamepad. It shows up as two separate controllers, but that's solved by simply rebinding the controls.

JoyToKey plays with them just fine in case you want to use one as a media remote or control your web browser or something else weird.

Worked on my phone, too.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's great and novel, but honestly, we should expect that bluetooth devices work together.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

It's great and novel, but honestly, we should expect that bluetooth devices work together.

Connect? Yes, but to work natively as a controller? No.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, my only experience using Bluetooth for anything before was trying to get a Wiimote working and it definitely wasn't as simple as just connecting it and playing some games.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

well why not posted:

They're 2 physically independent controllers, why would you expect them to work together natively without 3rd party software like DS4Windows?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm hoping that the Joycons can act like a Wiimote Motion Plus controller when it comes to Dolphin support.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Puyo Puyo Tetris has some interesting rumble effects... I was playing it muted while listening to a podcast, and the controllers do this distinct whistling sound when the boards swap between Puyo Puyo and Tetris. They also mimic the original Game Boy sound in Tetris whenever you clear a line.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Infinitum posted:

They're 2 physically independent controllers, why would you expect them to work together natively without 3rd party software like DS4Windows?

I think they mean "bluetooth enabled controller natively pairing and at least being recognized as generic controllers by OSes in tyool 2017 shouldn't be a huge jaw-dropper and the fact that it is is sad commentary on the state of affairs when it comes to what should be generic cross platform interoperability"

also mac's been able to natively pair with playstation controllers since ps3 so windows can gently caress a duck

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I think they mean "bluetooth enabled controller natively pairing and at least being recognized as generic controllers by OSes in tyool 2017 shouldn't be a huge jaw-dropper and the fact that it is is sad commentary on the state of affairs when it comes to what should be generic cross platform interoperability"

also mac's been able to natively pair with playstation controllers since ps3 so windows can gently caress a duck

Oh well that's a horse of a different colour.

I'm liking how dev friendly the Switch is. Can easily joycons to your PC, devkits only cost a couple hundred, lot of people interested in porting their games.

Hopefully the indie swell will bring back some big name devs as well. I don't mind the Switch being just a Nintendo + Indie game machine, but it'd be nice to have some big name brands on here as well. :allears:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Infinitum posted:

Oh well that's a horse of a different colour.

I'm liking how dev friendly the Switch is. Can easily joycons to your PC, devkits only cost a couple hundred, lot of people interested in porting their games.

Hopefully the indie swell will bring back some big name devs as well. I don't mind the Switch being just a Nintendo + Indie game machine, but it'd be nice to have some big name brands on here as well. :allears:

I agree, but the one thing I'm hoping/worried about is getting handheld quality games on the Switch. Big console games are great, but I really love the tighter if less ambitious focus of games like Bravely Default, SMTIV, and Phoenix Wright.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

It's very obviously what Nintendo wanted to do with the Wii U but couldn't.

The Wii U's feature was two screens at the same time, that was its whole thing.

Same, but the instant I think "I could do that" I follow that thought with "even if you get them disassembled, painted to look that nice and reassembled, the tactile feel of them spray painted is probably going to be poo poo and you're going to end up buying another pair for normal use anyways".

Depends how expensive your paint is. You can get paint that literally dries into rubber. Just make sure you use primer, for whatever paint you choose and it'll probably be fine.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

enojy posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris has some interesting rumble effects... I was playing it muted while listening to a podcast, and the controllers do this distinct whistling sound when the boards swap between Puyo Puyo and Tetris. They also mimic the original Game Boy sound in Tetris whenever you clear a line.

In Digital Foundry's Fast RMX look, they said the rumble was based on the sound effects for boosting, collisions, ect.
I bet that's what PPT is doing, and it's going to be the go-to cheap HD rumble solution, and it's gonna be real weird hearing the motors produce recognizable frequencies when playing without sound.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah, Fast RMX has some cool rumble. There are a number of stages where there's strong air currents around the track and the rumble gives you this strong whirling sensation that actually makes those parts feel pretty scary, like you're gonna lose control any second.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

So the joycon uses gyro controls instead of the wiimote method of IR pointer AND gyros...right? So unless they made some mysterious advances I would expect the joycon to be not as good for pointing since the I think main problem with gyros is they lose calibration very easily. But the joycon seems to work alright for aiming in botw.

What with the ir light on the back of the joycon and why is it there/pointing the wrong way ?

Curious about all this because I haven't heard a firm answer on whether they could make something like skyward sword or sm galaxy work on this console

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I've yet to have the rumble feel like any tangible thing. I'd LOVE for a 12 Switch demo to come out with the ball counting game, so I could finally experience that or finally write it off as baloney.

ethanol posted:

What with the ir light on the back of the joycon and why is it there/pointing the wrong way ?

It's on the back for easy access to your mouth so it can count digital sandwich chomps.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 12, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I've yet to have the rumble feel like any tangible thing. I'd LOVE for a 12 Switch demo to come out with the ball counting game, so I could finally experience that or finally write it off as baloney.

Rest assured it very much feels like balls in a box.

It's weird.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hmm my studies and tests have concluded that *shuffles papers around* the Switch is good

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Friends, played some switch Zelda last night, reckon I'll play more today.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I keep forgetting this thing has a touch screen.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I am missing one shrine and I have no goddamn idea where it could possibly be. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure how to go about finding it WITH help. Maybe I should actually go finish the game or the random non-shrine related side quests I have left instead of spending 3 hours running around with no direction. And yes, I got the shrine in the castle.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I splurged and got a Guardian amiibo at Target today. It's rad, I think I am going to have to track down the rest of the line.

I got the Guardian and archer Link. They're both really, really nicely done. Scanning anything into the game isn't worth the effort unless you're doing some kind of amiibo assisted speed run.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Nephzinho posted:

I am missing one shrine and I have no goddamn idea where it could possibly be. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure how to go about finding it WITH help. Maybe I should actually go finish the game or the random non-shrine related side quests I have left instead of spending 3 hours running around with no direction. And yes, I got the shrine in the castle.

I got the Guardian and archer Link. They're both really, really nicely done. Scanning anything into the game isn't worth the effort unless you're doing some kind of amiibo assisted speed run.

Did you do event tide island?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

Did you do event tide island?

I have done every thing that can be reasonably intuited from the map. Hence the frustration of missing just 1. Not something someone is (or should) just throw out there as the one I'm missing. Taking a break to do other poo poo and will give it a fresh look later.

And standing by my original "Best Shrine" assessment. Location: Inside the rock crab in the northwest of the lava lake in death mountain.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Nephzinho posted:

I have done every thing that can be reasonably intuited from the map. Hence the frustration of missing just 1. Not something someone is (or should) just throw out there as the one I'm missing. Taking a break to do other poo poo and will give it a fresh look later.

And standing by my original "Best Shrine" assessment. Location: Inside the rock crab in the northwest of the lava lake in death mountain.

I'm surprised there isn't a way to find it though use of a late game special ability or treasure map system, ala Windwaker.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm surprised there isn't a way to find it though use of a late game special ability or treasure map system, ala Windwaker.

There's the tracker on the slate, turned that on to find some of the last few even though the sound effect is so annoying. The first 104 or so were found pretty organically but they have been a bit of a slog since.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Welp, thanks Switch, got in a fender bender on the way to work.

I fukken told you :newlol:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How are people almost already done with Zelda, I've put like 20 hours into it and just got to Kakariko village and have hit up.. maybe 10 shrines?

The game's ability to take hours away via distractions is unreal. Only two other games I've played that've ever sucked me so immensely into the world is OOT and Xenoblade. gently caress I love Xenoblade and we better loving get an HD remake for the Switch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Louisgod posted:

How are people almost already done with Zelda, I've put like 20 hours into it and just got to Kakariko village and have hit up.. maybe 10 shrines?

The game's ability to take hours away via distractions is unreal. Only two other games I've played that've ever sucked me so immensely into the world is OOT and Xenoblade. gently caress I love Xenoblade and we better loving get an HD remake for the Switch.

It came out like over a week ago man.

I keep wanting to get a Switch, but the concerns I hear about connectivity issues, scratchiness, overheating, questionable UXUI choices, etc. make me a bit hesitant. I'll prolly get one once those things are resolved.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ethanol posted:

So the joycon uses gyro controls instead of the wiimote method of IR pointer AND gyros...right? So unless they made some mysterious advances I would expect the joycon to be not as good for pointing since the I think main problem with gyros is they lose calibration very easily. But the joycon seems to work alright for aiming in botw.

Curious about all this because I haven't heard a firm answer on whether they could make something like skyward sword or sm galaxy work on this console

Skyward Sword would work just fine on Switch. It never used the sensor bar and the joycons have to have more accurate gyros than wii motion plus. Most Wii games would probably work as well. They could make a Twilight Princess with Wii controls that work on the switch. Everything in TP was either waggle controls or short bursts of aiming at the screen which can be emulated by the gyros as seen with Skyward Sword.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Got the final upgrade for Sophia in Blaster Master

All I can say is :laffo::discourse:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So how does gyro aiming work in Zelda if your playing with split joy-cons. Is it just controlled with the right joy-con?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Guys the Nintendo Switch Rad Valtar Christmas Miracle is real. Walked into Wal-Mart this morning to pick up some bacon. Decided to check Electronics and saw zero Switch on the shelf so I talked to the store associate who I have known that has worked there for 20 years. He said they didn't have any in stock but then as I'm checking out at the front he's runs up and says they have one that was being held for Preorder that never got picked up and was cancelled. They also had 4 pro controllers so I grabbed one as well. Today is a great day.

Edit: Morale of the story be nice to retail workers.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 12, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sam Faust posted:

So how does gyro aiming work in Zelda if your playing with split joy-cons. Is it just controlled with the right joy-con?

Yes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Got the final upgrade for Sophia in Blaster Master

All I can say is :laffo::discourse:

This a public service reminder to every Switch owner that if you do not have Blaster Master yet, you are officially not one of the cool kids. Don't be lame, get Blaster Master.

Thank you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The rumble on Blaster Master is so strong. In hand held mode I feel like it's going to tear the switch apart.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Rad Valtar posted:

Guys the Nintendo Switch Rad Valtar Christmas Miracle is real. Walked into Wal-Mart this morning to pick up some bacon. Decided to check Electronics and saw zero Switch on the shelf so I talked to the store associate who I have known that has worked there for 20 years. He said they didn't have any in stock but then as I'm checking out at the front he's runs up and says they have one that was being held for Preorder that never got picked up and was cancelled. They also had 4 pro controllers so I grabbed one as well. Today is a great day.

Edit: Morale of the story be nice to retail workers.

Treating retail workers like human beings owns IMO

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dr Cheeto posted:

Treating retail workers like human beings owns IMO

gently caress that. Order online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Murder retail workers.

• Locked thread