Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

You know, Steph Curry losing to JR Smith makes the line "The prince of all saiyans... humbled by a clown!" to mind

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

https://twitter.com/nba/status/840706445536612353

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow, read a great preview of the Spurs-Warriors game here
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/6/3/5772796/nba-y2k-series-finale-the-death-of-basketball

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Dejan Bimble posted:

I can't make this argument but Bogut set really good screens, without Bogut, about 1/3 of the screens he uses per game won't feature good Bogut screening. That makes his entire game more difficult.

Watching college is always shocking to me, even though i keep watching, because they cant set screens at all, but a really good borderline illegal screen makes shooting automatic for Curry. Without Zaza there's no one to do that, Javale isn't a screen setter, only Draymond, I dont know, maybe they should try McAdoo and see if he can hold and grab people to let Curry get open shots

But even on open shots Curry is only shooting 20 percent according to Haberstroh.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Looks like knee surgery for Embiid.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The facial expressions

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I love the official nba twitter's header image

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I love the official nba twitter's header image

"This is why we play" takes on a passive-aggressive tone here.

Coffee Grindr
Jul 4, 2008
Stimulating
Just thought I'd pop in with the very important news that yesterday Steven Adam's sister, Valerie Adams, won the New Zealand women's gumboot throwing contest.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Coffee Grindr posted:

Just thought I'd pop in with the very important news that yesterday Steven Adam's sister, Valerie Adams, won the New Zealand women's gumboot throwing contest.

That'll go well with the Olympic medals.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Zogo posted:

Curry appears to be deteriorating. He's looking more like 2014 Curry than 2015 or 2016. He's still an elite scorer but for him to be MVP level he needs insane shooting and he's not doing that this year. Now that he's not shooting like an alien anymore the Warriors are panicking.

Curry predictably regressed, but 2014 Curry was still in the top-5 MVP category.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

gently caress the Bucks for swiping the Heat's 8 seed.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

gently caress the Bucks for swiping the Heat's 8 seed.

The way the NBA is structured if you don't make the playoffs you 100% don't deserve to make the playoffs. No ones ever been robbed the back door last playoff spot.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bip Roberts posted:

The way the NBA is structured if you don't make the playoffs you 100% don't deserve to make the playoffs. No ones ever been robbed the back door last playoff spot.

How long until we see an MLB style play in game for the 8th spot :allears:

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

Utah/lakers free throw differential post all-star break when the Lakers had Dwight is the one NBA conspiracy I believe in for the last decade.

Ghetto SuperCzar fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 12, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I know it was a joke. The Heat are going to get the 6th seed comfortably.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR

Strawberry Panda posted:

I know it was a joke. The Heat are going to get the 6th seed comfortably.

if the heat get the 6th seed spo should be coach of the year by a mile. The team looked terrible early on.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

evil_cheese posted:

if the heat get the 6th seed spo should be coach of the year by a mile. The team looked terrible early on.

On the other hand Scotty has the wizards at the two seed right now

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

The 2014 Suns and the 2008 Warriors with their 48-34 records might have a thing or two to say about that. The Suns that year would've been tied for third seed in the east but were number 9 in the west and the Warriors also would've had home court in the first round if they were in the east. Not that those teams had realistic chances of going far even if they'd gotten in, but they were absolutely robbed of playoff spots precisely because of how the NBA is structured.

To make the NBA playoffs more mathematically pleasing they should do the following:
1. Add two expansion teams to get to 32 and keep the current number of playoff teams, so exactly half the teams get in.
2. Remove the conferences for the purposes of playoff seeding. 1 plays against 16, 2 against 15, etc. There are logistical barriers here, but it would be the most fair system by far, and would have the greatest chance of making the finals as competitive as possible.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter because basketball is a fairly predictable sport where the best team wins the vast majority of the time. The team with the better regular season record wins their playoff series almost 80% of the time (part of which is precisely because of home court advantage, mind you).

LOOK I AM A TURTLE fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 12, 2017

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Witness THIS!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Metapod posted:

Wow, I didn't realize this. They started slow out of the gate, didn't they? That's impressive.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Deceptive speed, scrappy, last in the gym etc.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Wow, I didn't realize this. They started slow out of the gate, didn't they? That's impressive.

I think they have the best record in the league since Jan 1. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop but it doesn't happen

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I want the Bucks and the Heat to kick the boring rear end Pacers out and preferably the Pistons too somehow

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Coffee Grindr posted:

Valerie's the alpha of the Adams Family. <snap-snap>

Metapod posted:

Scott Brooks- The Redemption

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

I want the Bucks and the Heat to kick the boring rear end Pacers out and preferably the Pistons too somehow

You'll be eating crow when the Pistons beat the Celtics in the first round of the playoffs by playing Drummond for 10 minutes a game, off the bench, and starting Ish Smith, Kentavious, Tobias Harris, Marcus Morris, and Jon Leueurueur

That the heat keep turning d-league players into NBA players speaks to either the dead luck or incredible talent development of their organization

Strawberry Panda posted:

But even on open shots Curry is only shooting 20 percent according to Haberstroh.

Hmm I guess he's just too excited about the new king kong movie to focus on basketball

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 12, 2017

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's actually kind of hilarious that Wade left Miami for Chicago now that Miami is ahead of Chicago in the standings.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Libertine posted:

It's actually kind of hilarious that Wade left Miami for Chicago now that Miami is ahead of Chicago in the standings.

It turns out that two is the optimum number of alphas. Three is just too many.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Doltos posted:

Also the Raptors so that Casey gets fired finally.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Who does Nikola Jokic compare to, historically? Like pre injury Bill Walton? Arvydas Sabonis?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who does Nikola Jokic compare to, historically? Like pre injury Bill Walton? Arvydas Sabonis?

This is such a gut call but he reminds me of young Pau. That high post/low post combo and great passing touch.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 16 minutes!

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think we're in uncharted territory, because no one has ever used big men in quite the way some of them are bing used now. Both in terms of shooting and play creation.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So the Warriors are probably turbofucked without KD huh?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol
"I just think it takes away from it because we are here to see all the players," said Mary Lou Mahone, a Spurs fan, who flew to Corpus Christi, Texas, from Sacramento, California, on Friday, before making the drive to San Antonio with her husband, Louis, a Warriors fan. "It's kind of disappointing when you don't get to see everybody. Is LaMarcus [Aldridge] even gonna be here?"
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18886924/highly-anticipated-golden-state-warriors-san-antonio-spurs-game

Is the guy with a heart problem even gonna be here?

It sucks for fans when stars don't play but don't pick out the fans who can fly across the country when they could have driven to a Warriors game.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
In case anyone else hasn't been keeping up on the Nuggets, and thinks Jokic's season stats look merely good rather than great: since new year he's getting 20/11 with five and a half assists, on 58/40/83 shooting :stare:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Lol
"I just think it takes away from it because we are here to see all the players," said Mary Lou Mahone, a Spurs fan, who flew to Corpus Christi, Texas, from Sacramento, California, on Friday, before making the drive to San Antonio with her husband, Louis, a Warriors fan. "It's kind of disappointing when you don't get to see everybody. Is LaMarcus [Aldridge] even gonna be here?"
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18886924/highly-anticipated-golden-state-warriors-san-antonio-spurs-game

It sucks for fans when stars don't play but don't pick out the fans who can fly across the country when they could have driven to a Warriors game.

I did feel bad for the guy that flew to Detroit from Germany to see Kevin Durant last year and then the Thunder rested him.

Also the Pistons have the fourth best record since Feb. 1.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think its crazy that there five generational type big men playing at a time where guard play is peaking; the result being that these big men have guard skills to make their games easier is amazing

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So the Warriors are probably turbofucked without KD huh?

do the warriors have anybody who will probably be going elsewhere for next season? i would love it if they had this all star team assembled, KD got hurt and they don't win, and then someone leaves this offseason and they don't win.

i hope KD never gets a title unless be pulls a lebron and goes back to where he started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Lol

i don't feel much empathy for people with enough disposable income that they can fly across the country to watch a basketball game. but then again, most people on this board actually follow basketball and understand that things like resting players/injuries happen and that no full roster is guaranteed on any given night, nor is a particular player's performance.

so, on the one hand, sure its kind of disappointing that a relatively small amount of people who paid lots of money to watch this game live didn't get to see the full potential that their ticket offered. but a ticket isn't a guarantee to anything other than admission. those people purchased those tickets knowing that there was risk involved, and if they didn't explicitly know that then the onus is on them to be more informed.

the alternative is to pay much less money for tv coverage which greatly reduces the investment risk.

anyway, i digress terribly, but boo hoo if you have the kind of money to spend thousands of dollars to go see a basketball game halfway across the continent and you don't get to see your favorite players play (in particular for the spurs lady above because they're injured, not even being rested).

edit: in addition, how do you even make rules regarding forcing players to play? is there a time amount? do they think that the hunt for stats will make players police their coaches (because i assume DNPs don't reduce your stats, but playing 2 minutes of a game would)?

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 12, 2017

• Locked thread