Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

theres still one more game to go. brisbane are locked in, my understanding is if they win next week or if adelaide lose next week then brisbane get a home GF

dees and adelaide both win next week - adelaide should still go through with their superior percentage
dees win and adelaide lose - dees make the GF
dees lose and adelaide win - adelaide make the GF

both teams lose (and carlton win?) - adelaide probably still goes through anyway with their percentage

I don't know what's more likely, Adelaide or Melbourne choking their way out of the final.

OOH OOH I KNOW I KNOW
Adelaide and Melbourne choking and Carlton beating Brisbane by 50 points and leapfrogging both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Melbourne realistically need Adelaide to lose to make the GF. The two goals in the last two minutes killed the idea of catching on percentage.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
This makes losing yesterday all the more bitter, could have been in the gf.

If only there was a final system for this season.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

drunkill posted:

This makes losing yesterday all the more bitter, could have been in the gf.

If only there was a final system for this season.

How would you structure a finals series for an 8 team comp?

A final 4 with two simple semis? This has the benefits of being simple, but also the downside of half the teams in the comp make the finals

A final 3 with the minor premier making the GF and 2 vs 3 for the right to face them? This has teh benefits of rewarding number 1, and making the finals series elite. But only adds one game and compared to the current system only benefits one team.

Something else?

Personally I'd go with the semis idea. Simple, and easily understood.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

A final 4 with two simple semis? This has the benefits of being simple, but also the downside of half the teams in the comp make the finals

A final 3 with the minor premier making the GF and 2 vs 3 for the right to face them? This has teh benefits of rewarding number 1, and making the finals series elite. But only adds one game and compared to the current system only benefits one team.

Something else?

I wouldn't.
For next year, maybe a top 4 (1 vs 2, winner goes to GF, loser plays winner of 3 vs 4). I feel like the double chance is a valuable part of the AFL finals system.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

they do a 4 team finals series in the WAFL

also collingwood winning today throws up some interesting (if mathematically minuscule) possibilities for the final round to set up the second grand finalist team. adelaide's percentage will still lock collingwood and carlton out of contention if both of the latter teams win at the crow's expense (collingwood will be playing adelaide in the final round).

so the most likely results will still be:

1. adelaide win and they're in,
2. adelaide lose and dees win then the dees make it, and
3. adelaide and dees both lose and adelaide still makes it anyway

followed by the incredibly unlikely:

4. adelaide lose by a large enough margin to wipe off 50 percentage points bringing them crashing down to the dees and carltons' level (and that scenario would result in a massive boost to collingwoods percentage), and so if the dees also lose to freo and carlton win then the blues and collingwood would both be in the running for the GF spot, with it most likely being collingwood getting in due to that theoretical percentage surge they would get against adelaide in this scenario. so for carlton to get in they would have to rely on adelaide getting belted, demons losing, then winning by a huge margin against... brisbane.
5. demons win by a large enough margin to chase down the 46.4 percentage differential between them and adelaide

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 12, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

snaeksikn posted:

so the most likely results will still be:

1. adelaide win and they're in,
2. adelaide lose and dees win then the dees make it, and
3. adelaide and dees both lose and adelaide still makes it anyway

4. Adelaide and Melbourne win, percentage doesn't change enough for Melbourne to get through which means Adelaide goes through
5. Adelaide and Melbourne win, percentage does change enough for Melbourne to get through which means Melbourne goes through.

It's Collingwood and Fremantle. The odds of both winning are really rather high.

EDIT: I just did some rudimentary maths and if - for example - Adelaide wins 35-34, and if Fremantle score 23 points then Melbourne needs to score around 101. I think what I'm saying is "have fun Brisbane and Adelaide".

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 12, 2017

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Something else?

Old-skool McIntyre Four, although that'd take three weeks. (Actually this used to take four weeks in the VFL as there was one final a week when football on Sunday was for heathens.)
SF 1: 1 vs 2 - winner goes straight into GF with a week off, loser plays Prelim
SF 2: 3 vs 4 - winner plays Prelim, loser is knocked out
PF: Obviously the winner goes to the Grand final.

At this point a final three makes more sense with the Minor Premier enjoying that week off, at least until the comp gets expanded.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
3rd quarter kings

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Hawkins is like 30 god I'm old

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
No Acres :(

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

But Jack Steele has had 8 disposals and 4 tackles in a quarter.

Bruce should have kicked those 2 goals.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

But Jack Steele has had 8 disposals and 4 tackles in a quarter.

Bruce should have kicked those 2 goals.

Steele's ability to wriggle some space while in close and under pressure is dreamy.

Good game so far. Straight kicking would help.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

boy undead posted:

Steele's ability to wriggle some space while in close and under pressure is dreamy.

Good game so far. Straight kicking would help.

Yeah, it's been a real good game. Our execution is just letting us down at the wrong times and then the Swans are cutting us up on the turnover. Buddy is good to watch.

I nearly poo poo myself when McCartin and Gresham crashed into each other. Luckily it looks like it was just a bit of a corky for both of them.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid

Periphery posted:

Yeah, it's been a real good game. Our execution is just letting us down at the wrong times and then the Swans are cutting us up on the turnover. Buddy is good to watch.

I nearly poo poo myself when McCartin and Gresham crashed into each other. Luckily it looks like it was just a bit of a corky for both of them.

When McCartin came up hobbling, I was just thankful it wasn't his head. Hickey is definitely showing he's still first choice for ruck.

Just need to hit some targets. Multiple times we've been toiling away trying to get it clean inside 50, thhen someone rushes a kick into a turnover and three clean kicks later Sydney are lining up for goal. Hit targets, win the match.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Despite giving up a 40 points lead to lose by 20, thus a 60 point turn around, I was actually pretty happy with the Bombers today. There were just things being done that were rarely sighted in the past few years. Moving the ball quickly, lots of linking handballs to players who were in the right position and not under pressure rather than just going constantly sideways and then when they are forced to move forward its to the wrong man. Some good inside 50 deliveries that were often fast enough to catch Geelong unawares. Actually taking a few key marks inside 50 too. You can never be too happy with that kind of loss, even in preseason, but hell at least there are signs that there is a plan and they have been working towards it over summer.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Roo :allears:

Don't really care about the score from here, just keep it up.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
GAME ON

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Saints poor kicking at goal cost them that. Should have had 2 or 3 more goals from easy shots.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
A little disappointed they didn't kick straight at the end there, but that was a good game. Pretty happy.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Tom HIckey: 29 disposals (18 contested), 39 hitouts, 10 clearances, 6 tackles. :vince:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

Tom HIckey: 29 disposals (18 contested), 39 hitouts, 10 clearances, 6 tackles. :vince:

"BUT BUT LONGER CAN RUCCK BETTER" <- Idiots on bigfooty.

Longer IS a better ruck but holds no candle around the ground at all.

Meanwhile was a drat good game that we should have won. Slippery ball conditions didnt help our skills for sure.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

"BUT BUT LONGER CAN RUCCK BETTER" <- Idiots on bigfooty.

Longer IS a better ruck but holds no candle around the ground at all.

Meanwhile was a drat good game that we should have won. Slippery ball conditions didnt help our skills for sure.

Yeah, the whole Longer v Hickey debate over there was ridiculous. Hickey was always clearly #1 but (imo) they were giving Longer a chance to take the spot from Hickey. Longer did alright but Hickey just asserted his dominance in a spectacular way tonight.

How nice is it to have a midfield that looks like it can stand up to a team like Sydney (even if it is just preseason). Armo getting back to his 2015 form and the addition of Steele (:swoon:) make all the difference. KStevens gives more depth and if Acres can pull his head out (38 disp in the VFL is a good start) then he'll be another great addition. It helps that we got players like Newnes, Webster, Wright and Weller that throw themselves at the contest with reckless abandon.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

the whiz kid
Wright is hard as a cat's head. Love watching him go.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Big changes in the AFLW stats this week, lots of Freo entries into the top 5 and a lot of Carlton players have dropped out who were in the top 5 in previous weeks.
https://twitter.com/championdata/status/840762260913963008

Also list strength raankings:
https://twitter.com/championdata/status/840763391694192640

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

lol at people on bigfooty chucking tantrums because Andy McGrath isn't "stamping his mark on the game" already. Dude hasn't even played a H&A game yet. Although some of them do bring up a good point which is our defense looking a bit old and slow. Probably where we are going to be caught quite often by small forwards.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

drunkill posted:

Big changes in the AFLW stats this week, lots of Freo entries into the top 5 and a lot of Carlton players have dropped out who were in the top 5 in previous weeks.
https://twitter.com/championdata/status/840762260913963008

Also list strength raankings:
https://twitter.com/championdata/status/840763391694192640

Those list rankings are really cool

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I really hope we make the women's GF, if for no other reason than it gives me an excuse to fly to Brisbane and watch that instead of seeing loving st kilda embarrass us again

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

AFL site put up a talk piece about the best player since 2000 (the writers put up Ablett, Mitchell, Judd and Franklin), two of the top 3 comments are questioning why Goodes didn't make the list. Faith in footballing fans.. somewhat redeemed.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I really hope we make the women's GF, if for no other reason than it gives me an excuse to fly to Brisbane and watch that instead of seeing loving st kilda embarrass us again

There's no good reason to look forward to going to Brisbane

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

snaeksikn posted:

AFL site put up a talk piece about the best player since 2000 (the writers put up Ablett, Mitchell, Judd and Franklin), two of the top 3 comments are questioning why Goodes didn't make the list. Faith in footballing fans.. somewhat redeemed.

Are the three after that "something something flog something something else the little girl didn't know what it meant"?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

There's no good reason to look forward to going to Brisbane

This also applies to docklands

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Are the three after that "something something flog something something else the little girl didn't know what it meant"?

ape isn't even racist i mean i call barry hall an ape because he looks like an ape is that racist also goodes hates australia

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Apes are also big and strong so when you think about it its really a compliment

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I like Brisbane more than Sydney even though it's basically a swamp town.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Reminder we're boycotting Coopers now, so find an alternative beer to drink while watching the football

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

I like Brisbane more than Sydney even though it's basically a swamp town.

its disgustingly humid for half the year with none of the good things you can find in either sydney or melbourne. its like people who live there dont actually realise there are better places on the east coast because i cant think of any other reason someone would willingly live there

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

its disgustingly humid for half the year with none of the good things you can find in either sydney or melbourne. its like people who live there dont actually realise there are better places on the east coast because i cant think of any other reason someone would willingly live there

The disgustingly humid/weather part is pretty much the only reason I would live in Brisbane. I know I'm a freak who loves the heat and especially humidity, but yeah, even that wouldn't be enough. But I guess for anyone who wants Brisbane without the hot weather then there's always Cranbourne.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Reminder we're boycotting Coopers now, so find an alternative beer to drink while watching the football

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

NTRabbit posted:

West End

• Locked thread