Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

makes sense, we get lots of once in a blue moon poo poo here too. like back when i worked as an electrician's assistant over summer, i was jacking out channels in the vall for the cables, and did cross a few old cables in the vall, that were held either in lead, or glass tubes, for instance

as for 15a @ 120v yea, still exceeds the lowest tier crap here, which never reaches 12, or often even just double digits of "american amperes" at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ceiling fans are not a thing here either, as you might imagine

speaking of ceiling lights, btw, do you guys do like swedes do, where they have a funny lighting outlet around ceiling that you plug your light in?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

cinci zoo sniper posted:

speaking of ceiling lights, btw, do you guys do like swedes do, where they have a funny lighting outlet around ceiling that you plug your light in?

if you mean track lighting, some places do have that, most don't.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fishmech posted:

if you mean track lighting, some places do have that, most don't.

no, i mean a comically sized wall outled that is mounted in the ceiling, so you hang your lights and plug poo poo in like regular bedside lamp or whatever

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no, i mean a comically sized wall outled that is mounted in the ceiling, so you hang your lights and plug poo poo in like regular bedside lamp or whatever

can you show a picture of what you're trying to describe

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

can you show a picture of what you're trying to describe

http://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/LampSockets1.html

13, 14 there. i dont remember if mine had grounding since i never bothered to install a ceiling lamp in my dorm room

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

efb

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 12, 2017

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

http://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/LampSockets1.html

13, 14 there. i dont remember if mine had grounding since i never bothered to install a ceiling lamp in my dorm room

nah ours of that similar form factor just take a light bulb directly in a socket

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

nah ours of that similar form factor just take a light bulb directly in a socket

so, multibulb lights just screw into that on a standart bulb socket in the root?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

that's kinda cool though

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they just do like this

regular ceiling lights/fans get mounted into a box that's in the ceiling

probably the closest thing to plugging something into the ceiling is for projectors

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

they just do like this

probably the closest thing to plugging something into the ceiling is for projectors
oic

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hifi posted:

they just do like this

one of the weird candle bulbs being burnt out but no one bothered to replace it is so typical

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

fishmech posted:

one of the weird candle bulbs being burnt out but no one bothered to replace it is so typical

"you cant buy the good bulbs anymore" - my dad

speaking of, do old farts in sweden and latvia or wherever still want their incandescents back

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

thread for when you have problems with latvia

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

SO DEMANDING posted:

mikrotik is pretty cool

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I live in a non poo poo tier European country so quality of switches isn't a problem, but light switches are designed for switching lights and usually can handle 10A, they are not designed to handle the full 16 amps in a typical wall outlet circuit.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are ceiling fans good oir bad

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

are ceiling fans good oir bad

fan bad for healthy, deadly if used when sleep

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
if you live where it's often over 35c and you don't have ac it's good but otherwise what's the point.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

fan bad for healthy, deadly if used when sleep
didnt know you were korean

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hifi posted:

"you cant buy the good bulbs anymore" - my dad

speaking of, do old farts in sweden and latvia or wherever still want their incandescents back
surprisingly no, poo poo like that stops once you show them quick math on cost efficiency of modern bulbs

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

didnt know you were korean

well if having plausible deniability for the inevitable suicide of a loved one is korean :kimchi:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Maximum Leader posted:

if you live where it's often over 35c and you don't have ac it's good but otherwise what's the point.

we have a huger ceiling in this room and it makes me wonder if would be good in winter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

syscall girl posted:

well if having plausible deniability for the inevitable suicide of a loved one is korean :kimchi:
idk what is this grim reference to, i just meant korean fan death meme

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

echinopsis posted:

we have a huger ceiling in this room and it makes me wonder if would be good in winter

why would you want a fan for the winter

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maximum Leader posted:

my parents have a ceiling fan in the room with the wood stove -- it blows hot air downward, off the ceiling

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SO DEMANDING posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762306

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

idk what is this grim reference to, i just meant korean fan death meme

the explanation for the phenomenon i read is that it's a euphemism for a bad death that doesn't want talking about, no one actually believes it

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

ceiling fan at low speed is pretty decent for ensuring air movement that keeps hot air from settling in just one part of the room. you wouldn't want to put it up to high though, because then the cooling effect overwhelms it.

spankmeister posted:

I live in a non poo poo tier European country so quality of switches isn't a problem, but light switches are designed for switching lights and usually can handle 10A, they are not designed to handle the full 16 amps in a typical wall outlet circuit.

they should be.

i mean the british usually have switches directly attached to their outlets and thats the same power isnt it.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

ceiling fans have a switch on them somewhere and when you flip it the fan runs backwards so it pushes the hot air off the ceiling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yr

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

hifi posted:

ceiling fans have a switch on them somewhere and when you flip it the fan runs backwards so it pushes the hot air off the ceiling

dont reveal the korean secret to eternal life

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
is there a place where i can get a microsoft windows server license for cheap homelab use, kinda like how vmug only costs $200/year

my boyfriend is a college student would it be allowed for him to buy it with my money through dreamspark and me use it

i wanna experiment with hyper-v

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

evaluation license is 4 or 6 months and you can rearm it a few times to go a year or more between reinstalls. dreamspark is free but it depends on your school, some of them don't have server licenses unless you are an IT student. you can setup vagrant or another tool to automate transferring the fsmo roles and promoting the DCs. it is good practice to demote and promote servers anyways. the command is just slmgr.vbs -rearm to extend the trial period.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

action pack is like vmug though. https://partner.microsoft.com/en-US/membership/action-pack iirc you can use both for actual production use

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
i installed about 130ft of cat5e today between the main house and outside cottage.
to see if everything worked, I quickly ghetto-crimped some RJ45s using a flat-tip screwdriver and hammer – my crimping tool wasn't in the tool box.

and, well, either the cable is running right next to a DC transformer or my crimping hackjob is worse than i thought, because i'm only getting throughput of ~10mbps using gigabit routers.

it's been years since I've really got involved with networking at a more complex level, though.
will the speed be sorted by properly crimping on the plugs (which I suspect aren't making proper contact with the strands) or should i suck it up and buy some cat6 STP cable?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hello Spaceman posted:

i installed about 130ft of cat5e today between the main house and outside cottage.
to see if everything worked, I quickly ghetto-crimped some RJ45s using a flat-tip screwdriver and hammer – my crimping tool wasn't in the tool box.

and, well, either the cable is running right next to a DC transformer or my crimping hackjob is worse than i thought, because i'm only getting throughput of ~10mbps using gigabit routers.

it's been years since I've really got involved with networking at a more complex level, though.
will the speed be sorted by properly crimping on the plugs (which I suspect aren't making proper contact with the strands) or should i suck it up and buy some cat6 STP cable?

yeah, do unfuck your endpoint wiring, cat5e proper should be consistent wrt up to 1gbps @ 100 metres end-to-end

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah, do unfuck your endpoint wiring, cat5e proper should be consistent wrt up to 1gbps @ 100 metres end-to-end

my thinking too. i wasn't able to get a PC in there to see what the negotiated link speed is, but the fact that it's at ~10mbps makes me think it's stuck at ethernet speed bc of a dodgy connection on a pin. more so, "negotiated speed" theory makes sense because the speed tests didn't exhibit usual signs of interference: wildly inconsistent speeds.

thanks for the reassurance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

make sure you include some cat 6 to a jack in your laundry room