Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tunahead posted:

This happens in the greatest motion picture based on a board game, Clue.

Communism is just a red herring, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Presumably the benefit is getting Lana into the prosecutor's office and having the chief prosecutor in your pocket yes?

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Communism is just a red herring, anyway.

Flames... on the side of my face.

Kitala
Sep 2, 2012

Not Some Opera Floozy

xxarmageddonxx posted:

Flames... on the side of my face.

Mrs.Peacock was a man?!?!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Edgeworth is trying to drop poor rock-brained Phoenix a hint or three.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 7

: True, you might not help out anyone for their sake.
: But if it would benefit you...
: you might decide to assist someone.
: ...
: Mr. Wright.
: It appears you're positively determined to portray the Chief...
: as a nice man who likes to lend a hand.
: (That's not what I mean...)

: Very well, I'll ask.

: Chief Prosecutor Lana Skye...
: Th-the defendant!?
: I believe it's quite obvious in light of the circumstances.

: Who would want to help her more than her own sister, Lana?
: And as for Chief Gant...
: he would also have a reason to help Lana if she asked him to.

: That reason, of course, is... self profit.
: Self profit...?
: What do you mean?
: After the SL-9 Incident was resolved...

: The person who arranged this job change...
: was you, Chief Gant.
: B-but...
: how would he profit from all of this?
: He would be able to use the Chief Prosecutor as his puppet!

: Essentially...
: he would acquire unchecked authority over all investigations!
: Do you mean to tell me... that despite the Chief's formidable appearance,
: he plays with puppets?

: Oh, wait.
: You must mean "puppet" as in someone forced to do his bidding... Never mind!

: Admit it, Chief!
: You assisted Lana Skye in forging evidence!

: Your motive: to appoint her as Chief Prosecutor so you could control her!
: Wrighto, my boy. You have quite an imagination. Let me ask you something.
: What?
: Do you have any proof of this?
: That I "controlled" Lana?
: For example, is Lana testifying that I've done such a thing?
: Lana... (She's keeping quiet to protect Ema. There's no way she'd testify against Gant!)

: I'm afraid without any proof, this all amounts to nothing more than mere conjecture.
: ... Unless... that is also
: what happened in this incident...
: "This" incident...?
: Er... which one would that be?
: Of course I'm talking about...

: Worthy... You'd better watch your tongue...
: I wouldn't want you to get hurt.
: Just what do you mean?

: What he means, Your Honor, is that Chief Gant is involved in the murder of Detective Goodman.

: Wha... wha... wha... WWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAATTTTT!!!?

: Order! Order! Order! I SAID... ORDEEEEERRRR!!!
: Mr. Wright!
: You...
: You can't be serious!
: Huh?
: This...
: This is an affront to the highest ranking officer in our law enforcement agency! To accuse the Chief of Police
: of blackmail... and murder!!!?
: That's i.... i... i-i-i-i-i-i-i-
: IMPOSSIBLE!!!

: Your Honor, I was merely reiterating...
: what Mr. Edgeworth said, in easier-to-understand language.

: It's too late, Mr. Wright.
: !

: There's no turning back for us now.
: (It looks like he's the one who's decided to go through with this.)

: Can you prove this, Mr. Wright?
: That the Chief, a high-ranking officer of the law, is involved in this murder!?
: ... (Good question...)

: Regardless of his rank or title, Chief Gant is just a man.

: I see.
: Alright, then.
: Show us this evidence that ties Chief Gant to the murder of Detective Goodman.

: This is the ID card list...
: Yes, the one that shows who entered the evidence room on the day of the crime.
: There was one ID on the list we couldn't determine the owner of yesterday...
: 7777777.

: It's your number.
: What!? How do you know that!?
: The safe in Chief Gant's Office requires a code to open.
: A seven-digit code...
: Seven digits...
: You don't mean...

: I'm afraid so, Your Honor.
: The code was "7777777"...
: The same as the remaining ID card number on that list!

: Order! Order!
: Chief Gant! What do you have to say!?
: ... Nothing.
: The defense's search of my office was in violation of regulations.
: And I will demand Mr. Wright be punished to the maximum extent of the law.

: But right now, this court demands an explanation from you...

: Chief Gant!
: So you admit it? You entered the evidence room...
: on the day of the crime!?
: What about it? I'm Chief of Police. Whether it's the evidence room or the bathroom, what's the difference? I can go anywhere I want.
: Tell me. When you entered the room...
: were you alone?
: I always go to the bathroom alone... as I do with the evidence room.

: O-of course not! Why would he be? I hadn't seen him in days!

: You hadn't seen him... "in days"? Chief Gant...
: I'm afraid you've just undone yourself.

: On that day,
: you had to have met with Detective Goodman!

: What do you mean!?
: This trial's purpose is to determine Lana Skye's guilt!

: No it isn't, Your Honor.
: This trial's purpose is to determine the truth.

: then we need to determine one thing:

: In that case, Mr. Wright! I'm going to have to ask you for evidence!

: Detective Goodman lost his ID card on the day of the crime.
: Or to be more accurate, Jake Marshall stole it.
: So Detective Goodman filled out a lost item report. He would have had to give that report... to the Chief of Police!
: Yet you are in possession of the report...
: which means you can't be sure if he filed it.

: He filed it.
: How do I know, you ask?
: Because he needed to enter the evidence room that day.
: He needed to?
: Yes.
: To transfer the evidence out.
: Oh...
: Detective Goodman took the form to you, Chief Gant.
: Then...

: I "accompanied" him?

: There's no other way the murderer and Detective Goodman could have entered the room!

: Hold on. Let me guess what you're going to say next. I, the Chief of Police,
: murdered poor Goodman!

: Exactly.

: But wait!
: The Chief didn't necessarily need to accompany him to the evidence room.
: He could have just lent him his ID card.
: Yes...
: Now that you mention it, I believe I might have done something of the sort.

: Sorry,
: but that's not possible.
: According to the record, your card was only used once. But you showed us your ID card earlier.
: If you really "lent" it to Detective Goodman,

: Chief Gant!
: Y-you didn't...!
: The murder was most likely committed on the spur of the moment. No one in their right
: mind would choose the Police Department as a place to commit murder.

: Why else? To dispose of Detective Goodman's body.

: However.

That is a period there. Keep this in mind.

: How did he manage to move it there?
: I was at the Police Department the entire day, you know.
: And everyone's aware that Lana stayed at the Prosecutor's Office after the ceremony.
: Everyone except me, it seems...
: Still, you're the Chief of Police.
: You have an entire police force at your disposal.
: Oh, so you think I just ordered an officer to do it?
: "Hey you. Take this here dead body over to the Prosecutor's Office." I don't think so...
: Chief Gant. You left all the evidence we need...
: to prove how you moved the body to the Prosecutor's Office. (And all this time I thought it was just a useless clue just taking up space...)

: How could the Chief have moved the body!?
: Mr. Wright! Show us this evidence!

Next time: Can you figure it out?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
...I am hoping that I merely lost the thread of this case somewhere, or this answer is silly.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This is the best freak out animation until AA4.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Something that seemed irrelevant and was just taking up space? The screwdriver fits that description at least.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I forgot what evidence there was, is it the barrel in the parking lot or the Blue Badger sign?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

SgtSteel91 posted:

I forgot what evidence there was, is it the barrel in the parking lot or the Blue Badger sign?

My guess is the barrel, since it's been just sitting there without commentary throughout the majority of the case. The Blue Badger's come up, though, since it obscured events in the evidence room.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Funky Valentine posted:

That is a drat good freakout, yes. Also good: the very visible :sweatdrop: of the entire court at the Judge's puppet line, which got me to laugh out loud.

As for the evidence... the only thing I can think of is: the rubber glove, which Marshall held open that locker with. At the time, I didn't know why we were keeping it, but now...

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ah Edgeworth. 'Sorry Phoenix but you just went there. We're in this deep now.'

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I don't know if this request can easily be done, but I'd appreciate a full listing of all the evidence we have at the bottom of each update. It makes the guessing game a lot more fun.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The primary reason I haven't been doing that is that the evidence list is pretty long. I'll see if I can work something up in a post on its own, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SgtSteel91 posted:

the Blue Badger sign?
It looks guilty as gently caress. Surely it has room to hide a mans body inside it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

And to think he was talking about Neil getting a shock when he was stabbed last update. :allears:

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

The other freak outs have been good, but this one, wow.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Did...he just get struck by lightning indoors? :stonk:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yes. Yes he did :allears:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

...I am hoping that I merely lost the thread of this case somewhere, or this answer is silly.

Welcome to Ace Attorney, please enjoy your stay. :allears:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Yvonmukluk posted:

Respect Chief Gant's Thunder Hair!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Yvonmukluk posted:

"And if I am lying, then may God strike me down where I..."

Though in all seriousness I think that's his lightning bolt hair standing up? It's kinda hard to tell.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Dirk the Average posted:

"And if I am lying, then may God strike me down where I..."

Though in all seriousness I think that's his lightning bolt hair standing up? It's kinda hard to tell.

It's his hair doing the lightning bolt. Apparently Gant's hair crest is akin to a mowhawk in terms of amount of hair up there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Boy! I'm glad Phoenix knows what he's doing, otherwise this would be certain doom for all involved.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I see that I have up on my Gant is the murderer hypothesis much too early.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Mors Rattus posted:

: What do you mean!?
: This trial's purpose is to determine Lana Skye's guilt!

: No it isn't, Your Honor.
: This trial's purpose is to determine the truth.

This is really important to note, by the way. Edgeworth is now treating prosecution as less of a battle of wits between defense and prosecution, and more of a collaborative effort to find the truth. To be fair, his rear end is on the line in this case, as not only have Wright and Edgeworth accused the Chief of Police of murder, but if Gant has his way, Edgeworth will be under suspicion of having purposefully manipulated evidence to convict innocents. It's a neat moment of character development, going from Von Karma's understudy who pursues victory at all costs to someone unafraid to fight for the truth instead of blindly trying to win. The question does remain as to whether this is a sincere conviction or something born of desperation at the situation that he has found himself in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm kinda hoping that the final trial in the series will be a mass collaborative effort between all the MCs/Prosecutors. That would be satisfying having all the MCs with all their gimmicks dogpiling on every incompetent witness all at once and overwhelming the villain on their search for the truth. Defense and Prosecutor, Living and Dead all working together and being badasses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Dirk the Average posted:

This is really important to note, by the way. Edgeworth is now treating prosecution as less of a battle of wits between defense and prosecution, and more of a collaborative effort to find the truth. To be fair, his rear end is on the line in this case, as not only have Wright and Edgeworth accused the Chief of Police of murder, but if Gant has his way, Edgeworth will be under suspicion of having purposefully manipulated evidence to convict innocents. It's a neat moment of character development, going from Von Karma's understudy who pursues victory at all costs to someone unafraid to fight for the truth instead of blindly trying to win. The question does remain as to whether this is a sincere conviction or something born of desperation at the situation that he has found himself in.

Well, also.

Someone still gets prosecuted, so it isn't like he isn't going to get a prosecution out of nailing the police chief.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Night10194 posted:

Well, also.

Someone still gets prosecuted, so it isn't like he isn't going to get a prosecution out of nailing the police chief.

Yeah, but if that motivated him to do this, then he should also have jumped on throwing Redd White under the bus, rather than pulling bullshit like "White planted the bug". Likewise, it should NOT have been a surprise when he objects to Dee Vasquez. (And Maya and Phoenix even have that conversation about "what happened to finding all defendants guilty???")

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Our current evidence list:

Attorney's Badge (Type: Other, One of my possessions.): No one would believe I was a defense attorney if I didn't carry this.
Goodman's ID (Type: Evidence, Retrieved from the Underground Parking Lot.): An investigator's ID card. Found at Prosecutor's Office crime scene. (ID# 5842189)
Prosecutor Trophy (Type: Other, Retrieved from the High Prosecutor's Office.): Two years ago the "halberd" was removed at Gant's behest, giving it its current form.
Edgeworth's Knife (Type: Weapons, Retrieved from the Underground Parking Lot.): The murder weapon, found in Edgeworth's toolbox. Traces of victim's blood. No prints.
Parking Stub (Type: Other, Received from Miles Edgeworth.): Record of parking in the Prosecutor's Office lot. Entered lot at 5:12 PM.
Blue Badger Panel (Type: Other, Retrieved from the Police Department Entrance.): Was allegedly dancing in the evidence room at the time of the murder at the P.D..
Goodman's Autopsy Report (Type: Reports, Received from Jake Marshall.): Death due to loss of blood. One knife wound. Died within an hour and a half of 4 PM.
Victim's Note (Type: Documents, Retrieved from the Underground Parking Lot.): Victim's memo found in the car trunk.
Lana's Cell Phone (Type: Evidence, Retrieved from the Underground Parking Lot.): The word "muffler" was overheard during a call made to Ema at 5:18.
Parking Lot Floor Plans (Type: Maps, Submitted as evidence during the trial.): The parking lot with Edgeworth's car.
Crime Photo (Type: Photographs, Submitted as evidence during the trial.): Taken by Angel Starr after the crime was committed.
Victim's Shoe (Type: Evidence, Submitted as evidence during the trial.): White enamel shoe. Bears traces of blood from Goodman and Lana Skye.
Switchblade Knife (Type: Evidence, Submitted as evidence during the trial.): Found at the crime scene, wrapped in the defendant's muffler. Small tag attached.
Luminol Testing Fluid (Type: Other, Received from Ema Skye.): Solution used for scientific investigation. Finds blood traces. "Spray" to use.
ID Card Record (Type: Documents, Received from Jake Marshall.): IDs of all who entered the evidence room on 2/21.
Fingerprinting Set (Type: Other, Received from Miles Edgeworth.): Recovers fingerprints from "handprints" for comparison with fingerprint file.
Screwdriver (Type: Other, Received from Miles Edgeworth.): Evidence from a past case of Edgeworth's. Brought back to his office by Gant's request.
Goodman's Lost Item Report (Type: Documents, Received from the chief of the detectives.): A half-written document. The date was 2/21. To be submitted to the Chief.
Evidence Room Floorplans (Type: Maps, Received from Detective Dick Gumshoe.): Scene of the stabbing of a detective at the P.D..
Rubber Glove (Type: Evidence, Retrieved from the Evidence Room.): The tag reads "SL-9 Incident." Extremely thin rubber glove.
Evidence Locker (Type: Other, Retrieved from the Evidence Room.): Each locker is unlocked using a detective's fingerprint. A light indicates open boxes.
Unstable Jar (Type: Evidence, Retrieved from the Evidence Room.): Final fragment found in Chief Gant's safe. "Ema" is written on the surface in blood.
Marshall's Prints (Type: Evidence, Retrieved from the Evidence Room.): Found on a bloody handprint on Marshall's own locker. The print had been wiped.
Security Video (Type: Evidence, Submitted as evidence during the trial.): Video from the security camera placed in the evidence room.
SL-9 Incident Files (Type: Reports, Received from Lana Skye.): Files for the "Darke killings," solved two years ago.
Neil's Autopsy Report (Type: Reports, Received from Detective Dick Gumshoe.): Stabbed in the back, died from punctured heart and lung.
Gant Team Picture (Type: Photographs, Retrieved from the Chief's Office.): Photo at the awards ceremony of Gant, Lana, and Neil.
Evidence List (Type: Documents, Submitted as evidence during the trial.): List of evidence in the SL-9 Incident. The remaining half was found in Gant's desk.
Strip of Cloth (Type: Evidence, Retrieved from the Chief's Office.): Found in Chief Gant's safe. Evidence for something, but what? Bears Ema Skye's prints.
Evidence Law (Type: Other, Received from Lana Skye.): From Ms. Skye. Explains the two rules of evidence law.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Gotta be the screwdriver. Only evidence that states "Gant requested" in some way.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

I don't remember any particularly good freak outs in AA4, though i will concede it has what's probably the single best / most sublimely animated character of the series.

[agreed, but let's not get ahead of ourselves -fedule]

edit: tho to be fair everything in AA4 is extremely well and smoothly animated and it's probably the best looking Ace Attorney game to date

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 15, 2017

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

ZeusCannon posted:

Gotta be the screwdriver. Only evidence that states "Gant requested" in some way.

I'm sticking to my "rubber glove" theory, as the evidence being discussed is how to move things... how does one move a body with a screwdriver? (I mean, I've no doubt the screwdriver will come up at some point, but in this instance?)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Did we ever use the parking stub?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Did we ever use the parking stub?

I reckon it's this. The question at hand is how Gant could have got the body to the car park while still being at the awards. The stub proves that a vehicle went from the awards to the car park in time for the murder; presumably, Goodman's body was hidden in the trunk without Edgeworth knowing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I bet Meekins did it without even realizing there was a body in the trunk.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That would imply Edgeworth would willingly allow Meekins to so much as be within sight of his car.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Case 5 - Rise From the Ashes
Trial (Day 4) - Part 8

Fun fact. This is the hundredth update, and of those, 40% have been Rise From the Ashes. It is a long, long case.

: This is how he moved Detective Goodman's body!
: What's that?
: A screwdriver?
: But what does that have to do with this case?
: Mr. Edgeworth.
: Think back to the day of the crime.
: What is this screwdriver doing here?
: It's here because...

: He told me he wanted me to keep it at the Prosecutor's Office.
: In any case, on the day of the stabbings, I brought this back to the Prosecutor's Office.

: I didn't plan to return to the Prosecutor's Office.
: But you did.
: Because Chief Gant asked you to.
: You mean I... I...
: The body was found in the trunk of Mr. Edgeworth's car.

: Detective Goodman's body...
: was carried in the trunk of Mr. Edgeworth's car!
: Yes.
: Unless, of course, you have another explanation, Chief?
: Why else would you have asked Mr. Edgeworth to carry evidence from a closed case?
: There's only one plausible explanation: to transport the body to your accomplice...
: Ms. Lana Skye!

: Order! Order! Order!
: What's going on here!? Is there no room for rebuttal to the defense's outrageous accusations!?
: Think back to the photograph Ms. Starr took at the Prosecutor's Office.

: It was exactly the opposite...
: It is a photo of the body being taken from the trunk!
: Chief Gant! Please, say something!
: I believe...
: your time's up.
: My "time's up"?
: Sorry, Wrighto, but I'm having lunch with the District Attorney General after this.
: We have to get going if we're to make it in time for the early bird special.

: B-but...
: The cross-examination isn't finished yet!
: Remember what I told you earlier? A police chief...
: has all kinds of weapons at his disposal.
: ..."Weapons"...?
: Like the right to refuse to testify. I'm invoking that right now.
: What!? That is not a right to be casually invoked.
: There are certain risks to be considered!

: So you're going to just run away after all this!?
: "Run away"?
: Don't make me laugh, Worthy.
: "I stabbed ol' Goodman." That's what you're saying, right?
: But if you had any conclusive evidence, you would have presented it by now.
: Well I...
: You think I had Lana dispose of the body? If so,
: then show your proof and get it over with!
: Hmm...
: I'll say it again, Mr. Wright. Damon Gant is the current Chief of Police.

: This court will not tolerate any accusations against him without concrete proof.
: Well, Mr. Wright?
: Y-Your Honor?
: Do you have any concrete proof?
: Proof that Chief Gant murdered Detective Goodman and made Ms. Skeye dispose of his body?

: (I can't let him just squirm his way out of this! I've got to keep the pressure on!)

: Yes, Your Honor. I do have such evidence.

: Then please hurry up and present it. Just remember, it better prove Chief Gant murdered Detective Goodman beyond a shadow of a doubt!

And there isn't a right answer.

: So...
: Er, what exactly is this evidence?
: It's proof. As to whether or not it's enough to demonstrate the Chief's guilt... I'll let you be the judge!
: But... I am the judge.
: Oh, right... Well,
: what do you think, Your Honor?

: (I guess it wasn't enough...)
: Please, Your Honor! Give me just a little longer to consider!

And we get sent around again.

: (It's no use showing evidence I'm not even sure of myself...)
: No, Your Honor. At present I have no conclusive evidence.
: Hmph!
: See, Udgey?

: In that case...
: This court is forced to penalize you for your allegations against the Chief.
: What?

: I don't gamble unless the stakes are high! It seems that
: Lady Luck was
: on my side again today.
: Okay Udgey, I'll leave the rest to you!

He leaves.

: I warned you earlier, Mr. Wright. This...
: is an affront to a senior officer in our nation's law enforcement agency.

: "Lady Luck," hm?
: Maybe we should have a word with her.
: Mr. Edgeworth? What do you mean!?
: There's one "Lady" who knows the real truth behind this trial...
: We haven't yet had the honor of hearing her testimony.
: (A lady who knows the truth... Another witness!)
: In the absence of conclusive evidence, the only other method of proof is testimony.
: But Chief Gant has invoked his right to refuse to testify!
: There's still someone else. One more witness who can answer all the questions
: raised in this trial. Someone right in this very room!
: Mr. Edgeworth! Who is
: this person!?

: Hmph... Why are you asking me, Your Honor? Have you forgotten?
: The defense is the one calling witnesses today.

: Mr. Wright. Does such a witness exist?
: (She may not be willing to tell the truth...)
: (But we can't just stop now!)

: The defendant...
: Ms. Lana Skye!?
: She was in the underground parking lot at 5:15 PM on February 21.

: in accordance with a certain someone's orders!
: Hmm...
: Mr. Edgeworth...?
: The prosecution has no objections, Your Honor.

: Very well. The court will now take its final recess for the day.
: In 15 minutes, we will reconvene to hear the defendant's testimony.
: This court is now in re-
: Hold on!
: Huh?

: Listen good, Lana!
: (He's talking to Lana!)
: I don't think you need me to tell you this, but if you accept Mr. Wright's claim...
: there will be terrible consequences.
: ...!
: That's right... Your sister will be found guilty...
: for Neil Marshall's murder!
: Ah!
: (This isn't good!)
: Of course, you'd never support such outrageous claims anyway... right? Just something to think about...
: All right, then.
: I've got a lunch date to meet.

He leaves again.

: Okay. If there aren't any further objections...
: this court is now in recess!

: Looks like we managed to stay in the game.
: Yeah. Thanks to your help, Edgeworth.
: That Chief...
: He's something else, eh pals?
: Detective Gumshoe!
: Ha ha ha.
: I'm not a "detective" anymore.
: Oh yeah. Sorry about that...
: Ah, don't worry. I've already decided where to work now!
: At your office!
: My office...?
: Sure!
: I'll take the place of that top-knotted girl you used to work with!

: Still...
: Looks like we're all out of moves now.
: Chief Gant's done it again.
: How is it he always gets the upper hand!?
: It's not fair he has the right to refuse to testify!
: Hmph.
: Settle down, Wright.
: Remember what the judge said?

: There are certain risks to be considered!

: It's simple. If the Chief refuses to testify...
: the opposite also holds true.
: You mean, he forfeits his right to say anything too!

: Ema! Are you okay?
: Yeah. When I came to, I was in the medical office.
: I've been listening to the trial from the gallery.
: (So she heard everything that's been going on.) Um, Ema... I'm sorry for what I said before.
: No, don't be. It was the truth.
: You know, it's funny.
: I almost feel somehow... relieved.
: "Relieved"?
: Yeah...
: Now I finally know what really happened.
: To think that all this time...
: my sister was being blackmailed by that terrible man! And she did it all...
: just to protect me.
: Ever since her appointment as Chief Prosecutor, everyone who knew her...
: said she changed. Perhaps...
: it was easier that way for her.
: What do you mean?
: What do you think I mean? To follow Chief Gant's orders.
: She must have shut herself up deep inside... to force herself to do anything and everything the Chief told her to do.
: (That must be why she became so cold...)
: It was all my fault. It's all because I... I murdered Mr. Marshall.
: Hey. Don't go blaming yourself, now. If you want to blame anyone, blame society, pal!
: Chief Gant may be able to fool everyone else with his "forgery,"
: but he can't fool my memory. I remember now. I knocked Mr. Marshall into that armor.
: I... I see.
: Well, we'd better get back.
: It's time for the final act!
: Ema, why don't you wait h-
: No. I'm going with you.
: I want to be there...
: when Lana tells the truth.
: Let's go, Wright.
: It's time to end this.

Next time: This is the case that never ends. Yes, it goes on and on, my friends...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I read the thoughts of someone on this case earlier today, pointing out a number of inconsistencies. The main reason I bring this up, though, is because I learned from that that you can present either the screwdriver or the parking ticket stub at the choice at the beginning of the update.

I also love how Gant just straight up threatened Lana in front of everyone.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 15, 2017

• Locked thread