Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

- One of the reasons for that was that they destroyed his sarcophagus and replaced it with Saint Domnius' bones so they needed an excuse for that.
- Saint Domnius who was legend has it martyred under Diocletian might not have even existed.
How can both of these things be true. Whose bones are in there then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
The bones were moved a few hundred years after his death and who knows whose bones they were.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Terrible Opinions posted:

How can both of these things be true. Whose bones are in there then?

Start counting how many finger bones of St. Whoever are STILL in assorted reliquaries in museums and churches (ignoring all the ones that were lost or destroyed before now). You'll quickly come to the conclusion that holy men were easily identifiable by their dozen or so fingers on each hand.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

The bones were moved a few hundred years after his death and who knows whose bones they were.
Yeah my bad I was reading all of that has happening all at once which is in retrospect completely ridiculous.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Start counting how many finger bones of St. Whoever are STILL in assorted reliquaries in museums and churches (ignoring all the ones that were lost or destroyed before now). You'll quickly come to the conclusion that holy men were easily identifiable by their dozen or so fingers on each hand.

In the same vein, aren't there enough pieces of the True Cross to make a fairly large sailboat?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The best part about being a Roman veteran and getting your free land was that you could say no to farming for the rest of your life, immediately sell that land and go live in Rome off the proceeds, a plan which would have no negative consequences for either you or the Roman state ever.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

In the same vein, aren't there enough pieces of the True Cross to make a fairly large sailboat?

That was something John Calvin said and it got into pop history for whatever reason. There actually weren't that many pieces of the "true cross" floating around in the medieval relic trade.

St. Nicholas does have like six arms though; it was explained that holy relics could replicate themselves so that's how that happened. Fraud in the relic trade was, uh, kind of a problem.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Weren't there people who had body parts of Saints from different ages? Like "Here we have St Francis' arm from when he was a boy of 11, and here we have the same arm from when he was an adult."?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Jerusalem posted:

Weren't there people who had body parts of Saints from different ages? Like "Here we have St Francis' arm from when he was a boy of 11, and here we have the same arm from when he was an adult."?

Dude led a hard life.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

It makes a bit more sense when people didn't travel much. Like if you're backpacking through Europe you'll see all that stuff, but if you live and die within 20 miles of your hometown it doesn't become an issue.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is also a fairly common occurrence for places to have relics of lesser known saints and pretend they're from more famous ones. Like we have a finger bone of Saint Matthew and they have all sorts of iconography of the apostle Matthew but the relic is actually of some guy names Matthew who lived in England in the 1200s.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Proof of lizard people :tinfoil:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

sullat posted:

It makes a bit more sense when people didn't travel much. Like if you're backpacking through Europe you'll see all that stuff, but if you live and die within 20 miles of your hometown it doesn't become an issue.

Except the whole point is to attract pilgrims from farther away than the nearest pigsty who will hopefully give to the church so competition for the best relics was fierce. Real funny stuff was done in this period

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Eternal Darkness taught me that if you go on a pilgrimage to see a relic it'll turn out to be a trap to satisfy the flesh-hunger of a huge evil monster.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

sullat posted:

People did go backpacking through Europe to see this stuff. My favourite anecdote is about a village in the Alps that hired a guy to stand at a crossroads and persuade travellers to stay in this village, not the other one nearby.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best part about being a Roman veteran and getting your free land was that you could say no to farming for the rest of your life, immediately sell that land and go live in Rome off the proceeds, a plan which would have no negative consequences for either you or the Roman state ever.

What were the negative consequences it didn't have for you?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Safety Biscuits posted:

What were the negative consequences it didn't have for you?

It removed a heritable source of income from you to become a fraction of a percentage of some senator's latifundium. Maybe you'd have enough money to get on in Rome for a while, but would your kids? How about their kids? How about the kids of the other ten thousand legionaries who said the same thing you did? Give it a couple generations and that's a lot of kids. How are they all going to eat? The senators who bought your farm and thousands like it control all the grain supplies after all, they can charge whatever they want. Don't you think it would be better if the state just used some of the grain it collected as tax to sell to these unfortunate Romans at subsidized prices? Re-elect me, Gaius Gracchus, to the office of plebeian tribune, and I will do whatever is in my power to achieve this goal and obstruct those senators who want to take the very bread out of your mouths!

The collapse of small farming made the relatively poor poorer, their descendants poorer still, and the rich (and their descendants) richer. It led to a bloating of the population of Rome with the unemployed, who still had to be fed, a massive problem for an ancient state to cope with. It also put senators in an antagonistic position to the masses, making populism seem like a good way to gain power for those who didn't love senatorial elites. It turned government against the people and individual members of government against one another in a vicious cycle of ambition, reaction, and political violence that culminated in decades of brutal civil wars that all but extirpated the old Roman nobility and god knows how many other people.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skasion posted:

It removed a heritable source of income from you to become a fraction of a percentage of some senator's latifundium. Maybe you'd have enough money to get on in Rome for a while, but would your kids? How about their kids? How about the kids of the other ten thousand legionaries who said the same thing you did? Give it a couple generations and that's a lot of kids. How are they all going to eat? The senators who bought your farm and thousands like it control all the grain supplies after all, they can charge whatever they want. Don't you think it would be better if the state just used some of the grain it collected as tax to sell to these unfortunate Romans at subsidized prices? Re-elect me, Gaius Gracchus, to the office of plebeian tribune, and I will do whatever is in my power to achieve this goal and obstruct those senators who want to take the very bread out of your mouths!

The collapse of small farming made the relatively poor poorer, their descendants poorer still, and the rich (and their descendants) richer. It led to a bloating of the population of Rome with the unemployed, who still had to be fed, a massive problem for an ancient state to cope with. It also put senators in an antagonistic position to the masses, making populism seem like a good way to gain power for those who didn't love senatorial elites. It turned government against the people and individual members of government against one another in a vicious cycle of ambition, reaction, and political violence that culminated in decades of brutal civil wars that all but extirpated the old Roman nobility and god knows how many other people.

Yes, lol, it was the fault of the poor that the rich slave-estates grew so powerful and antagonistic to the needs of the populace. Thing about farming is that having some land isn't enough, you have to have some cash as well. Cash for seeds & equipment, cash to survive during the off-seasons. And where are you going to get it? Well, the local noble is offering favorable rates. And he's the one that buys most of the harvest anyway, so he sets the prices. Harvest was bad this year, can you front me some more cash? I see he just bought 1000 slaves, wonder what's that about. Oh, you're calling in the mortgage? I can't pay it and I don't want to be enslaved for debt, well, the only asset I have is this land...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It also may have been a bit much to expect the soldiers who had spent a lifetime in the Legion to want the life of a farmer and easily pick up the skills involved. Farming's hard work, and that land that you got granted is probably way away from the large groups of people that they had been accustomed to.

Reminds me of professional athletes that burn all their savings after retirement partying.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

skasion posted:

This is very well-written.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

skasion posted:

It removed a heritable source of income from you to become a fraction of a percentage of some senator's latifundium. Maybe you'd have enough money to get on in Rome for a while, but would your kids? How about their kids? How about the kids of the other ten thousand legionaries who said the same thing you did? Give it a couple generations and that's a lot of kids.

uh how were all those descendants going to live off your one-family-sized land plot anyway

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

sullat posted:

Yes, lol, it was the fault of the poor that the rich slave-estates grew so powerful and antagonistic to the needs of the populace. Thing about farming is that having some land isn't enough, you have to have some cash as well. Cash for seeds & equipment, cash to survive during the off-seasons. And where are you going to get it? Well, the local noble is offering favorable rates. And he's the one that buys most of the harvest anyway, so he sets the prices. Harvest was bad this year, can you front me some more cash? I see he just bought 1000 slaves, wonder what's that about. Oh, you're calling in the mortgage? I can't pay it and I don't want to be enslaved for debt, well, the only asset I have is this land...

This is very true, of course. Discharged soldiers didn't sell out because they were dumb and bad, but because major landowners incentivized it very strongly (and the government often turned blind eye to this because 1) it was made up of the major landowners and 2) "Big Agriculture" in the form of massive slave farming operations was more productive than a couple thousand little farms run by randoms). The whole system of land grants was atrociously broken and that's why so many Roman leaders attempted to fix it (invariably to suit themselves best) with so little success.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

uh how were all those descendants going to live off your one-family-sized land plot anyway

Why, by joining the legions, doing their 16 20 25 years of service, and rightfully earning their own farms in service to SPQR, of course! Haha just kidding, they will probably all die in a civil war or else move to Rome and die of disease.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Couldn't they learn trades or become soldiers themselves? Why are the only two options farming vs starvation?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doctor Malaver posted:

Couldn't they learn trades or become soldiers themselves? Why are the only two options farming vs starvation?

When a large portion of how soldiers expect to be paid is grants of land when their service is up, all becoming soldiers is a problem. As far as learning trades, there doesn't seem to have been all that much demand for that out in the provinces, and it's a crowded market inside Rome proper and the various cities.

Hell you kinda have the same dynamic in rural areas of the modern world, cities and suburbs are just big enough with enough jobs to absorb people now rather than collapsing. Small family farms have been going out of style in America for nearly a century now, as it's a hard life to do it and make enough to get by.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I hear being a brigand is a growing market.
Turns out so is being a body guard.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

skasion posted:

2) "Big Agriculture" in the form of massive slave farming operations was more productive than a couple thousand little farms run by randoms)

I'm just regurgitating the argument from this, but as I understand it the big farms didn't so much produce more as require fewer workers (because slaves could be made to work longer hours and produced a substantial surplus, whereas landed peasant farmers tended to own as much land as they needed for subsistence, which meant more farmers on the same area of land)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
not strictly on topic, but I saw this on cracked tonight:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

I give it two weeks until that is unironically cited by turkish media as evidence of a new gulenist plot against the government

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol I was gonna say Gulenist spotted but too late :nsa:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I give it two weeks until that is unironically cited by turkish media as evidence of a new gulenist plot against the government

pity the fool who cites cracked as evidence, there's a water mark and everything

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tias posted:

pity the fool who cites cracked as evidence, there's a water mark and everything

Clearly cover to broadcast information to a disperse group of deep agents

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Restore its rightful place as "The City", a name Istanbul is derived from.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

A longer capital for Rome than that marsh by the Tiber. Better seafood, too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I'm just regurgitating the argument from this, but as I understand it the big farms didn't so much produce more as require fewer workers (because slaves could be made to work longer hours and produced a substantial surplus, whereas landed peasant farmers tended to own as much land as they needed for subsistence, which meant more farmers on the same area of land)

That means exactly the same thing, though. Fewer workers through economies of scale means fewer mouths to feed means more surplus to sell.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

feedmegin posted:

That means exactly the same thing, though. Fewer workers through economies of scale means fewer mouths to feed means more surplus to sell.

Well no, there's a big difference between getting more crops from a given piece of land and getting the same amount of crops but using fewer workers to do it. For one thing, the first implies a bigger population overall, whereas the second implies keeping the population about the same but shifting it from agriculture to something else

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ynglaur posted:

The century fluctuated between 80 and 120 men, differing over time and by troop type, iirc

That's still better than the Strategikon of late antiquity. That author specifically recommends making every unit a slightly different size to screw with enemy scouts.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

golden bubble posted:

That's still better than the Strategikon of late antiquity. That author specifically recommends making every unit a slightly different size to screw with enemy scouts.

Speaking of, is it at all true that the reason why the first line was called hastati and the second line principes in (pre-Marian) Roman armies was in order to confuse the enemy? I've heard that somewhere but it sounds like a stretch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Doubtful. Hastati just means spearmen, princips in context is probably 'first reserve'.

Besides, anyone who knows that there were multiple divisions of Roman soldiery has probably seen them fight, and would know anyway.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 13, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Yeah, it doesn't really makes sense. I think it was also argued that hastati being called that whilst wielding the gladius would cause additional confusion, but then it's more likely they did use hastae in the beginning and the name stuck.

If only I remember where I have this from, drat. I was under the impression that it's a fairly common myth.

Grevling fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 14, 2017

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Grevling posted:

Yeah, it doesn't really makes sense. I think it was also argued that hastati being called that whilst wielding the gladius would cause additional confusion, but then it's more likely they did use hastae in the beginning and the name stuck.

If only I remember where I have this from, drat. I was under the impression that it's a fairly common myth.

Well, the Romans did use hoplites before the wars with the Samnites, and only switched to the scutum and gladius after getting their poo poo wrecked by them. I was always under the impression the word Hastati simply was carried over, same way the world cavalry is still sometimes used for mechanized/armor units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

packetmantis posted:

Eternal Darkness taught me that if you go on a pilgrimage to see a relic it'll turn out to be a trap to satisfy the flesh-hunger of a huge evil monster.

Happened to me in Czestochowa Monastery, Poland.

I just wanted to see the pretty picture :saddowns: :hf: :cthulhu: