Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Pureauthor posted:

Also thanks to Gamillas swarming you with their dinky fighter planes once you get back on track with the Yamato plot you'll be racking up kill counts in no time.

I didn't buy Proud Ace on a single unit and I reached the hidden route split with 38 Aces. That said there's probably at least one other hidden requirement for the IF path.

There is (I had almost 50), but as near as anyone can determine, it's just "Use the Wave Motion Gun on the one stage you have it for".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Also, please stop talking about G-Reco. Fans of the show are impervious to logic and discussion will get nowhere.
what a poo poo thing to say, lol. some people like a show some people didn't, idk where logic comes into it on either side and iunno why people need to be such cocks about which toy commercial they liked the most and which they liked the least. gundam age was actively excruciating to watch for me and if some dude came in this thread and said it was his favorite id be like 'woah, im really glad you enjoyed it so much, i hope they put it in these games properly and it gets more merch or w/e so you have a way to express your appreciation for it.'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like cross ange more than 95% of gundam series and i dont give a gently caress!!! *grins crazily like my favorite cross ange character, ange, as i bench all the gundam protags, sticks yazan in the crossbone gundam, and don't even bother to deploy him* :twisted: :evil:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Wait, you're not deploying Tusk are you?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
SRW is a series where bad unit launch decisions are ok and even encouraged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Wait, you're not deploying Tusk are you?
his unit is bright pink and he has love for like 40 sp, hell yeah i am

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Endorph posted:

his unit is bright pink and he has love for like 40 sp, hell yeah i am
Hmm, these are some compelling reasons I must admit.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I didn't even worry about doing the aces secret this first run (that I beat a few days ago), since I know I'm gonna go back into it to use different units and the other MC and the other upgrade etc etc. After that if I still have an overwhelming desire to smash robots I'll do a gimmick run of some sort and see how badly it backfires on me.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Broken Loose posted:

Also, please stop talking about G-Reco. Fans of the show are impervious to logic and discussion will get nowhere.

You were the guy who compared the lady main character crying to the sexual assault scene in KLK.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

The game has no relationship bonuses, from what I've seen.

:ironicat:

The GIG posted:

You were the guy who compared the lady main character crying to the sexual assault scene in KLK.

Also flipped out over how the G-Self had horns and this was in irredeemable design flaw that would forever ruin its ability to see.

Realtalk:

G-Reco has weird pacing and a rushed ending but still is a fairly strong coherent show, just one that suffers from the reverse of the usual Gundam problem and shoves too much into too few episodes instead of too little into too many. It'd easily something that could have been resolved but the blinding angry hatred for it is pretty goddamn dumb.

Samurai Sanders posted:

SRW is a series where bad unit launch decisions are ok and even encouraged.

A SRW where I can't launch bad units is weaker than one where I can. Launch Fa in Banshee Gundam all day e'ry day.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 12, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Somebody bought me 2 avatars because I was a "virtue signaling SJW," and I said the horns were a bad design choice because they made huge blind spots and provided a weak point for somebody to grab onto.

I was then immediately proven right in the first episode when the protagonist wrestles the Gundam into submission with an unarmed training grunt by grabbing it by the horns.

But go on, die on this hill.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Somebody bought me 2 avatars because I was a "virtue signaling SJW," and I said the horns were a bad design choice because they made huge blind spots and provided a weak point for somebody to grab onto.

I was then immediately proven right in the first episode when the protagonist wrestles the Gundam into submission with an unarmed training grunt by grabbing it by the horns.

"Someone grabbed a thing on a Gundam" making it a bad design choice means all Gundams and indeed all mobile suits have bad design choices except the glorious glorious Ball.

The 00 Gundam literally got one of its precious irreplaceable reactors cut off because it mounted them on its shoulders but mysteriously you never had a bizarre flipout about that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 12, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you have like seven probations for weird rape metaphors

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Congrats the thing you complained about for posts on end turned out to be a plot point for an episode and then the show moved on.

Also you compared crying to rape.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

"Someone grabbed a thing on a Gundam" making it a bad design choice means all Gundams and indeed all mobile suits have bad design choices except the glorious glorious Ball.

The 00 Gundam literally got one of its precious irreplaceable reactors cut off because it mounted them on its shoulders but mysteriously you never had a bizarre flipout about that.

Turn A bottom tier, that moustache is a perfect handhold.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Supremezero posted:

Turn A bottom tier, that moustache is a perfect handhold.
theyre called lovehandles

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ImpAtom posted:

"Someone grabbed a thing on a Gundam" making it a bad design choice means all Gundams and indeed all mobile suits have had design choices except the glorious glorious Ball.

Actually, I talked massive amounts of poo poo about 00 when it aired because Seiji Mizushima is a hack director, but nobody bought me any avatars over that. In fact, nobody claimed it was a "bizarre flipout" when I said the cables on Exia were a liability.

Of course, that show didn't air during Gamergate and its explosion of weird internet dudes who do things like oust somebody for saying women are being presented poorly.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

You compared crying to rape. Like yeah you can make an pretty decent argument about G-Reco's handling of ladies but you're just some weirdo who needed to bitch about something you didn't like.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Actually, I talked massive amounts of poo poo about 00 when it aired because Seiji Mizushima is a hack director, but nobody bought me any avatars over that. In fact, nobody claimed it was a "bizarre flipout" when I said the cables on Exia were a liability.

Of course, that show didn't air during Gamergate and its explosion of weird internet dudes who do things like oust somebody for saying women are being presented poorly.

Yeah, I was posting here when 00 aired. I was in fact pretty drat critical of it. You didn't have insane flipouts because if you posted in that thread it was barely ever as opposed to running in screaming about insane things and then blaming Gamergates for people calling you out on being weird.

Plenty of people make criticisms of lovely handling of women in Gundam without getting avatars for it. It's not exactly a controversial statement. Trying to paint it as "oh no those nasty people just didn't want me to point out the problems" is giving yourself an excuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

as an actual woman, the way you bring up rape and say things like 'chitose is just a pair of boobs' is insanely uncomfortable, to me. i would be much more comfortable if you would not do those things. this isnt some attempt to own you this is a sincere request from a woman to stop making me uncomfortable on the internet when i just wanna talk about gundams. if you have issues with the way women get presented that's totally valid but just say 'I think the characters in this show get treated weirdly/aren't allowed to do much' instead of going to incredibly uncomfortable extremes to try and make some weird point, and also stop tossing rape around to try and make some weird point about the price of warhammer 40k models or whatever, also.

edit: also concrete revolutio is good

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 12, 2017

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

There is a like a giant pile of issues with G-Reco but everyone seems to pile on the really flawed ones or the ones that come down entirely to personal taste. And then you get the internet nerd mentality where you have to dig up as many reasons as possible for why you are absolutely right and everyone else is wrong. Like G-Reco happened, it did okay financially, Bell and G-Self are going to cameo in everything until the end of time like every other gundam protag, who cares.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The GIG posted:

You compared crying to rape. Like yeah you can make an pretty decent argument about G-Reco's handling of ladies but you're just some weirdo who needed to bitch about something you didn't like.

This is the last I will say anything on this topic, because if you don't understand after this point there's no hope:

Do you know what dogwhistle racism is? My point was that the first 4-5 episodes of G-Reco were full of dogwhistle sexism (which caused me to stop watching after that point). The show as a whole was sexist, and most people seem to agree. The problem is that posters cherry-picked phrases out of my statements in an attempt to discredit me, which worked perfectly and continues to work to this day. I pointed out how hosed up it is that even the expert women characters were powerless in the face of amateur male characters, from things like an unarmed training grunt flown by a first-timer taking out a space pirate leader piloting a Gundam to how virtually every character with 2 X chromosomes was either in a cheerleader uniform or crying. In fact, it may be literally every one-- it's been a while since I last saw the show. These were not the only examples in the show neither were they the only examples I provided at the time.

The show had a ton of problems visible from the outset, but between being pushed by overly defensive goons and poor wording on my part the actual subject matter got divorced from the content. I was right about the show being bad, I was right about the ways in which the show was gonna be bad (with a single exception*), and isolating instances of me trying to drill the idea of "Hey, context and presentation are very real things, just look at people defending this other show which is about real, actual rape used for entertainment" into idiots as some vague attempt to insult me only makes you look like a Trump voter.

*The part where I was wrong was on the topic of the horse blinders on the G-Self. I was shown wrong on episode 3 that G-Reco doesn't care about visibility as a concept, demonstrated by Bellri shooting with pinpoint accuracy with his monitors off and only viewport blocked by his own shield. I'll file that right next to "brain damage from oxygen deprivation wears off over time."

Endorph posted:

as an actual woman, the way you bring up rape and say things like 'chitose is just a pair of boobs' is insanely uncomfortable, to me. i would be much more comfortable if you would not do those things. this isnt some attempt to own you this is a sincere request from a woman to stop making me uncomfortable on the internet when i just wanna talk about gundams. if you have issues with the way women get presented that's totally valid but just say 'I think the characters in this show get treated weirdly/aren't allowed to do much' instead of going to incredibly uncomfortable extremes to try and make some weird point, and also stop tossing rape around to try and make some weird point about the price of warhammer 40k models or whatever, also.

You're right, and that was hosed up of me! Something about the atmosphere here makes me speak like I'm much more immature than I should be. I'm trying to work on it, but I get tempted into extreme wording when people troll me, which happens all the time. After so many years online I should have learned that facts don't drive discussion (example: anybody saying I play 40k in the last 8 years).

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 12, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh, gently caress. I posted that exact same explanation 3 years ago and it didn't stick then, either. gently caress it. Just lay into me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Broken Loose, there is no objective standard for sexism. There is no objective amount of sexism. There are women who do not think G-Reco is sexist. There are men who do think it is sexist. There are men who don't think it is sexist. There are women who do. Sexism is a complex, multifaceted issue, especially when you are talking about how it manifests in media. You cannot, at the end of the day, be objectively right about something being sexist. Even if the main character literally turns to the camera and says women are inferior to men, someone might interpret that as the show being a self-aware parody and the main character being meant to be incredibly wrong, or something, or the main character being meant to be a scumbag, or any number of possible interpretations. Fiction is malleable and its interpretations are shaped mostly by the viewer. To this end, constantly going on about how you're a crusader for women for taking the most aggressive 'i'm right and you're wrong' stance possible when it comes to sexism is downright insulting and condescending. You aren't changing hearts and minds, and you aren't taking a valiant stand. You're just kind of being a dick on the internet and using women as an excuse for it.

Like, again for the cheap seats, I am a woman. I do not think stuff like Chitose's outfit in this game or any number of fanservice boobjiggle games on the vita are sexist. Most people would disagree with me, man or woman. Neither of us is right, we just have opinions. We can discuss why we hold these opinions like mature, rational adults, and while our minds probably won't be changed, we can at least gain an appreciation for the other side's viewpoint. People disagreeing with you about sexism aren't horrendous monsters keeping women down, they're just people that disagree with you about what constitutes sexism and their interpretation of the material. Some of them were probably even women themselves!

Please stop insulting and condescending towards women by acting like being a dick on the internet is for their sake. Instead of that, just try and have an honest dialogue with people where you present your opinions as what they are, opinions, instead of accusing everyone that disagrees with you of hating women. People who disagree with you aren't trolling you, and they aren't terrible people. That's the thing you need to understand. If you see something as sexist, that does not mean it *is* inherently sexist and wrong and deserving of scorn. If you think it is sexist and do not enjoy it and do not want to watch it, that is a totally fair stance to take. Other people will not see it that way, and that does not mean they are sexist and wrong and deserving of scorn, it just means they have a different view. You can discuss these things. You can talk about them. You can appreciate each other's view points. This is much more likely to foster understanding and mutual respect than internet slapfighting about how you're inherently right.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Nobody with a brain thinks G-Reco was a paragon of female representation. In fact there are a ton of things wrong with Aida alone. The problem is dudes like you who just end up poisoning the entire drat conversation with poo poo like trying to compare Aida crying out of overdone personal anguish to loving rape and then complaining that everyone is against you and you are on some moral high ground when you're just an rear end.

Also don't try to talk bullshit like clearly someone doesn't know what dog whistling is. gently caress off I'm black and gay and stuck in an armpit of a community you gently caress. Don't talk poo poo because you think you know everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Do you know what dogwhistle racism is? My point was that the first 4-5 episodes of G-Reco were full of dogwhistle sexism (which caused me to stop watching after that point). The show as a whole was sexist, and most people seem to agree.

No, Broken Loose, most people don't agree. That is in fact something you made up. Or rather while G-Reco has issues they are issues that are systemic to mecha anime as a whole and G-Reco certainly reflects those issues but not in the ways you pretend or claim.

Like yeah, if you want to talk about how mecha anime has problems with women, go for it. You're not wrong and it has been there since Mazinger Z and will unfortunately probably continue to be there for the foreseeable future, but acting like G-Reco is particularly noteworthy even for Gundam series in that regards is absurdly silly. Rather than actually discussing the ongoing problems you're just interested in whining about a show someone was mean to you about.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 12, 2017

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The GIG posted:

trying to compare Aida crying out of overdone personal anguish to loving rape

stop

nobody did this

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't remember what this rape thing is in reference to, but something you certainly did do was come into this G-Reco derail by saying fans of the show were "impervious to logic".

What did you think would happen when you took such a negative tone right off the bat?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

stop

nobody did this

You compared people defending the show with the crying to people defending the show with the rape.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Good morning, I picked VangNex because I liked it more and I wanted to beat Ghoulie at his own game. They both seem fairly both bulky and rocket-powered, honestly.

e: I also have kind of the same thing with the original Li Brastas where the "real" one looks a lot more like a straight upgrade to the original and the other one looks a bit like a generic-shaped bulky machine with some bits on.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 12, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Good morning, I picked VangNex because I liked it more and I wanted to beat Ghoulie at his own game. They both seem fairly both bulky and rocket-powered, honestly.

e: I also have kind of the same thing with the original Li Brastas where the "real" one looks a lot more like a straight upgrade to the original and the other one looks a bit like a generic-shaped bulky machine with some bits on.

I can understand that. VangNex really does look more like an upgrade and it also kinda fits the tone better since you're facing a dude obsessed with speed.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The problem I have is that the 'Speed' upgrade's attacks mostly consist of it standing in one place and shooting guns. And for the basic attack where they're trying to show speed they use the really bad method of flipping around a static sprite in an attempt to make it look fast.

For that matter, for someone who's entire gimmick is GOTTAGOFAST Ghuli's animations in the Blarmag aren't particularly awe-inspiring next to a TRANS-AM or even the Destiny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The GIG posted:

Nobody with a brain thinks G-Reco was a paragon of female representation. In fact there are a ton of things wrong with Aida alone. The problem is dudes like you who just end up poisoning the entire drat conversation with poo poo like trying to compare Aida crying out of overdone personal anguish to loving rape and then complaining that everyone is against you and you are on some moral high ground when you're just an rear end.

Also don't try to talk bullshit like clearly someone doesn't know what dog whistling is. gently caress off I'm black and gay and stuck in an armpit of a community you gently caress. Don't talk poo poo because you think you know everything.

Even then, I feel like G-Reco was fairly decent on the women front? It has a variety of women characters of different ages, in different roles, displaying varying levels of agency and competency. There might even be slightly more women than men in the show if you count all the characters? Belri's mom alone is pretty great.

But no, I'm not gonna say it was a paragon of female representation. Just, you know, pretty good compared to most modern anime, which is a pretty low bar to clear.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a multi-page trainwreck, I just wanted to nerd out about a series I like that I think could be very fun in a future SRW. :shrug:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

VIRTUAL ON IS BACK!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBJLRXQlVxE

*as a crossover game with an anime.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even then, I feel like G-Reco was fairly decent on the women front? It has a variety of women characters of different ages, in different roles, displaying varying levels of agency and competency. There might even be slightly more women than men in the show if you count all the characters? Belri's mom alone is pretty great.

But no, I'm not gonna say it was a paragon of female representation. Just, you know, pretty good compared to most modern anime, which is a pretty low bar to clear.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a multi-page trainwreck, I just wanted to nerd out about a series I like that I think could be very fun in a future SRW. :shrug:

Well, here's my question. How would they handle all the backpacks for the G-Self? Just checking MAHQ and there are seven in the series, making eight forms if you include no pack. That's quite a lot, maybe too many. I haven't seen G-Reco, so I don't know if any were one-offs, but still... To be fair, you can ask the same thing of the Barbatos. Going by MAHQ again, eight forms. Granted, Barbatos just gets upgraded more and more, so this one could just replace each form after a few levels, or they just use the first form for a bit, then the fourth form until they cover the second season and use the Lupus until it becomes the Lupus Rex.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Most of the upgrades were one-ofs. They can just story-gate the upgraded forms for both G-Reco and Barbatos, it's not like there's a fundamental difference between Barbatos and how the Wing Gundams eventually become upgraded and then Endless Watlzed.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

Well, here's my question. How would they handle all the backpacks for the G-Self? Just checking MAHQ and there are seven in the series, making eight forms if you include no pack. That's quite a lot, maybe too many. I haven't seen G-Reco, so I don't know if any were one-offs, but still... To be fair, you can ask the same thing of the Barbatos. Going by MAHQ again, eight forms. Granted, Barbatos just gets upgraded more and more, so this one could just replace each form after a few levels, or they just use the first form for a bit, then the fourth form until they cover the second season and use the Lupus until it becomes the Lupus Rex.

Just have a pack be an attack, rather than a different deployable? Haven't they done something similar with the Impulse Gundam recently?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Droyer posted:

Just have a pack be an attack, rather than a different deployable? Haven't they done something similar with the Impulse Gundam recently?

They also did that with the AGE-3's packs in SRWBX.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Inferno-sama posted:

Most of the packs are once-offs. They'll probably either just give it a bunch of attacks or focus on the ones that get used a lot and make the others into attacks or just cut them.

Perfect Pack is "all of the packs rolled into one" anyway so the final G-Self will be that so the worst thing it could be is that G-Self Perfect Pack doesn't feel enough of an upgrade over G-Self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Droyer posted:

I think in the 3ds games?

edit: Also like the first half of G-Reco is mostly water-based so it'd be good to pair it with some stuff with a similar setting so you could have some mechs with decent water ratings. and give you getter early so you can have musashi/benkei. maybe rinne no lagrange would fit?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 12, 2017

• Locked thread