Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's a tangential anti-money laundering tie-in to the issues of asset forfeiture, usually having to do with shady business owners thinking structuring isn't a crime then getting real weepy when their safe full of cash at home gets seized and then the tax audits start.

As someone who does the bank-side reporting of those shady business owners who think they're really bright evading taxes, I would still like to see those assets seized so that they can be included in the inevitable tax evasion investigation and/or (if a landscaping contractor, farmer, or asphalt paver) labor violation suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What's the actual legal basis/structure of domestic asset forfeiture? Do we have a source for discussion that's descriptive and not opposed to it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

What's the actual legal basis/structure of domestic asset forfeiture? Do we have a source for discussion that's descriptive and not opposed to it?

Probably not, most of the content I've ever seen written on the topic has to do with "lo, this poor captain of industry, laid wretched by the avarice of the state!" with like a half paragraph at the bottom referencing the labor violations, tax cheating, attempts to steal/hide joint assets amidst a divorce, etc.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

A descriptive source would be opposed because it's a fundamentally invidious system.

My favorite angle is that asset forfeiture in America doesn't rely solely on admiralty and smuggling precedents; the opinions specifically reference the medieval law of "deodand", I.e., your cart rolled over.my chicken so your cart is possessed by an evil spirit and thus forfeit to the Crown.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

"We've always done it this way." It's not completely insane - after all, an SEC violation can be either civil or criminal, and so on.

US v. Ursery posted:

Since the earliest years of this Nation, Congress has authorized the Government to seek parallel in rem civil forfeiture actions and criminal prosecutions based upon the same underlying events. See, e.g., Act of July 31, 1789, ch. 5, §12, 1 Stat. 39 (goods unloaded at night or without a permit subject to forfeiture and persons unloading subject to criminal prosecution); §25, id., at 43 (persons convicted of buying or concealing illegally imported goods subject to both monetary fine and in rem forfeiture of the goods); §34, id., at 46 (imposing criminal penalty and in rem forfeiture where person convicted of relanding goods entitled to drawback); see also The Palmyra, 12 Wheat. 1, 14-15 (1827) ("Many cases exist, where there is both a forfeiture in rem and a personal penalty"); cf. Calero Toledo v. Pearson Yacht Leasing Co., 416 U.S. 663, 683 (1974) (discussing adoption of forfeiture statutes by early Congresses).
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/95-345.ZO.html

Of course, the court does admit that this is essentially a punishment for the owner being at least negligent in letting their property be used for ill.

Austin v. US posted:

The same understanding of forfeiture as punishment runs through our cases rejecting the "innocence" of the owner as a common law defense to forfeiture. See, e. g., Calero Toledo, 416 U. S., at 683; Goldsmith Grant Co. v. United States, 254 U.S. 505 (1921); Dobbins's Distillery v. United States, 96 U.S. 395 (1878); United States v. Brig Malek Adhel, 2 How. 210 (1844); The Palmyra, 12 Wheat. 1 (1827). In these cases, forfeiture has been justified on two theories--that the property itself is "guilty" of the offense, and that the owner may be held accountable for the wrongs of others to whom he entrusts his property. Both theories rest, at bottom, on the notion that the owner has been negligent in allowing his property to be misused and that he is properly punished for that negligence.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/92-6073.ZO.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

A descriptive source would be opposed because it's a fundamentally invidious system.

My favorite angle is that asset forfeiture in America doesn't rely solely on admiralty and smuggling precedents; the opinions specifically reference the medieval law of "deodand", I.e., your cart rolled over.my chicken so your cart is possessed by an evil spirit and thus forfeit to the Crown.

Read Austin v. US more closely.

quote:

Three kinds of forfeiture were established in England at the time the Eighth Amendment was ratified in the United States: deodand, forfeiture upon conviction for a felony or treason, and statutory forfeiture. See Calero Toledo, 416 U. S., at 680-683. Each was understood, at least in part, as imposing punishment.
Of England's three kinds of forfeiture, only the third took hold in the United States. "Deodands did not become part of the common law tradition of this country." Calero Toledo, 416 U. S., at 682. The Constitution forbids forfeiture of estate as a punishment for treason "except during the Life of the Person attainted," U. S. Const., Art. III, § 3, cl. 2, and the First Congress also abolished forfeiture of estate as a punishment for felons. Act of April 30, 1790, ch. 9, § 24, 1 Stat. 117. "But `[l]ong before the adoption of the Constitution the common law courts in the Colonies--and later in the states during the period of Confederation--were exercising jurisdiction in rem in the enforcement of [English and local] forfeiture statutes.' " Calero Toledo, 416 U. S., at 683, quoting C. J. Hendry Co. v. Moore, 318 U.S. 133, 139 (1943).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ulmont posted:

Read Austin v. US more closely.

_but see_ https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/254/505,"in such a case there is some analogy to the law of deodand . . . But whether the reason [ ] be artificial or real, it is too firmly fixed . . . to be now displaced." (Apologies for informal cite; on my phone)

Historically speaking, deodand is at the root of U.S. forfeiture law. Austin's dicta there is just an attempt to paper over that unsound foundation. If it were otherwise, why would such a denial be necessary?

Edit: to argue more explicitly, Austin is correct that deodand specifically was never part of U.S. law. But admiralty forfeiture was, and historically speaking, it was the doctrine of deodand that provided (part of) the justification for admiralty seizures. The doctrine of deodand was never explicitly US law, but deodand provided the legal foundation, in British law, for admiralty forfeiture, which was adopted into US law. So it all traces back causally to deodand.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 9, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Historically speaking, deodand is at the root of U.S. forfeiture law. Austin's dicta there is just an attempt to paper over that unsound foundation. If it were otherwise, why would such a denial be necessary?

Austin is specifically quoting a flat statement from Calero-Toledo that cites to Parker-Harris (admittedly a state supreme court), which predates Goldsmith.

Calero-Toledo v. Pearson Yacht Leasing Co. posted:

Deodands did not become part of the common-law tradition of this country. See Parker-Harris Co. v. Tate, 135 Tenn. 509, 188 S.W. 54 (1916).
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/416/663#writing-type-1-BRENNAN

Parker-Harris Co. v. Tate posted:

The doctrine [of deodand], after being subtly refined and pared down, was discarded in England by Stat. 9 and 10, Victoria, Chapter 62. To the credit of American jurisprudence, from the outset the doctrine was deemed to be so repugnant to our ideas of justice as not to be included as a part of the common law of this country.
https://books.google.com/books?id=J...Tate%22&f=false

Edit: to argue more explicitly, Austin is correct that deodand specifically was never part of U.S. law. But admiralty forfeiture was, and historically speaking, it was the doctrine of deodand that provided (part of) the justification for admiralty seizures. The doctrine of deodand was never explicitly US law, but deodand provided the legal foundation, in British law, for admiralty forfeiture, which was adopted into US law. So it all traces back causally to deodand.

But you're right on this point, so I will take my "technically correct" sticker and concede.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Technically correct is the best kind of correct.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I strongly endorse this statement. And see, now we're citing something other than ACLU websites! I have something to read! It's great!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ulmont posted:

But you're right on this point, so I will take my "technically correct" sticker and concede.

It works for CPG Grey why not you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Discendo Vox posted:

I strongly endorse this statement. And see, now we're citing something other than ACLU websites! I have something to read! It's great!

The history of asset forfeiture is a fascinating subarea of the law. You get everything from bizarre medieval cases with clouds getting prosecuted for raining and blocking the sun and poo poo, up to and including the Kennedy assassination (U.S. Vs mannlicher-carcano rifle; they used asset forfeiture to prevent Oswald's widow from inheriting the rifle).

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Of course, the ancient Greeks had the correct approach:

quote:

Classics scholar Walter Woodburn Hyde has gathered together the few references to the Prytaneion in the extant Greek literature. He concludes that, though ceremonial in character, the trials observed ordinary procedural requirements. Even jurisdiction was sometimes at issue. In one instance, a boy was killed by a javelin while watching a man practice in the gymnasium. The court was forced to determine whether the boy, the man, or the javelin was to blame. Only if it were deemed to be a trial of the javelin could the case be heard at the Prytaneion. Although such questions sound fanciful, they were apparently taken very seriously. According to Plutarch, the great statesman Pericles once spent an entire day arguing with the famous sophist Protagoras about the issue.

This jurisdictional dispute suggests that the action against the object was not conceived as a fiction standing in for a trial against a negligent or guilty owner. Rather, the javelin was considered to be capable of its own guilt, quite apart from the person who threw it, and the community took action to rid itself of the moral taint attaching to the object itself. The proceedings in the Prytaneion, like all other murder trials, took place in the open air so that the judges would not be contaminated by moral pollution emanating from the accused. And, if the accused were found guilty, the court issued an order banishing the offending object or animal beyond the borders of the city. Oliver Wendell Holmes observed that the ancient Greeks banished inanimate objects in precisely the same way that a person would be ostracized for committing a crime. Thus, after a statue fell on a man, the statue was tried, found guilty, and cast into the sea beyond the borders. This belief in the guilt of objects even extended to the requirement that, if a person committed suicide, the hand that struck the fatal blow be severed and buried separately from the body.

the article also is opposite the idea the deodands never were a part of American common law, though I guess it depends on where you view American common law beginning, and British common law in America ending

quote:

The law of deodands migrated to the American colonies and entered the legal annals of this country as well. Thus, an inquest before a jury was held on January 31, 1637, regarding the body of a planter who had been felled by a falling tree. According to the trial record, "the jurors aforesaid, upon their oath aforesaid, say that the said tree moved to the death of the said John Bryant; and therefore find the said tree forfeited to the Lord Proprietor." Likewise, under a Massachusetts statute of 1648, a dog that killed sheep could be hanged. One commentator reports that, at least through the eighteenth century, deodand forfeitures appear to have been accepted in this country as "routine procedure." In early colonial vice admiralty courts, ships were treated as if they were alive, and prosecutions were initiated against vessels by name. As Holmes observed: "It is only by supposing the ship to have been treated as if endowed with personality, that the arbitrary seeming peculiarities of the maritime law can be made intelligible."

See Morris, supra note 154, at 227; Cyrus H. Karraker, Deodands in Virginia and Maryland, 37 Am. Hist. Rev. 712, 713 (1932) ("Deodands occurred, it seems, in all the colonies."); see also The Earliest Acts and Laws of the Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations 1647-1719, at 61 (John D. Cushing ed., 1977) (quoting a 1663 law: "For as much as A man may be Slaine by other cafsulties then by the Hand of A man… ye thing yt accafsioned his Death… shall be seized… & taken as ye Deodands are in England....").

ARTICLE:An Anthropological Approach to Modern Forfeiture Law: The Symbolic Function of Legal Actions Against Objects, 11 Yale J.L. & Human. 1 (1999)

we should go back to the old roman laws

quote:

BY the Roman law, parricide, or the murder of one’s parents or children, was punished in a much severer manner than any other kind of homicide. After being scourged, the delinquents were sewed up in a leather sack, with a live dog, a cock, a viper, and an ape, and so cast into the sea

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 9, 2017

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

That Roman law could be acceptable only if the dog, cock, viper and ape had been found equally guilty surely? I'm confident that's what Founders intended.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Did they like, keep supplies of dogs, cocks, vipers and apes on hand in case they had a patricide case? I'm...not sure how accurate or reliable this source is.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Did they like, keep supplies of dogs, cocks, vipers and apes on hand in case they had a patricide case? I'm...not sure how accurate or reliable this source is.

The roman part is from Blackstone. If you read it, he makes sure to point out how the English didn't have a separate punishment for when a child killed his parents. Unless the child was also a servant

quote:

Solon, it is true, in his laws, made none against parricide; apprehending it impossible that any one should be guilty of so unnatural a barbarity. And the Persians, according to Herodotus, entertained the same notion, when they adjudged all persons who killed their reputed parents to be bastards. And, upon some such reason as this, must we account for the omission of an exemplary punishment for this crime in our English laws; which treat it no otherwise than as simple murder, unless the child was also the servant of his parent.

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 10, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Discendo Vox posted:

I thought about this, but then I figured that maybe murder between parents and children was infrequent enough that they just had on demand dog/cock/viper/ape hunting parties.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

twodot posted:

I thought about this, but then I figured that maybe murder between parents and children was infrequent enough that they just had on demand dog/cock/viper/ape hunting parties.

SCOTUS Thread 2016: US. v. one bag of assorted animals

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

twodot posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > SCOTUS Thread 2017: on demand dog/cock/viper/ape hunting parties

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > SCOTUS Thread 2017: dog/cock/viper/ape hybrid confirmation hearings begin

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Discendo Vox posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > SCOTUS Thread 2017: dog/cock/viper/ape hybrid confirmation hearings begin

would be better than what we're actually going to get i suspect

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Mr. Nice! posted:

The thing is, it makes sense from an admiralty perspective. You have to seize poo poo when there's a problem and no one to pay for it. Arrest the ship and the cargo and let people sue to recover it so that harmed persons can actually recover damages. If they don't sell the poo poo at auction to cover the damages.

It makes zero sense when pulling someone over on the side of the road to steal their vacation money.
So what I'm hearing is that civil asset forfeiture is unconstitutional unless the court has a flag bearing gold fringes

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > a SCOTUS Thread for every year

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

ShadowHawk posted:

So what I'm hearing is that civil asset forfeiture is unconstitutional unless the court has a flag bearing gold fringes

:golfclap:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like how this thread is sincerely talking about ADMIRALTY LAW!

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I'm learning so much! I think...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Maritime liens are a weird and mysterious thing because the court is creating a property right out of thin air which might seem like a simple thing but is so contrary to fundamental principles of what common law courts do that it is very important nobody points out the elephant in the room.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alchenar posted:

Maritime liens are a weird and mysterious thing because the court is creating a property right out of thin air which might seem like a simple thing but is so contrary to fundamental principles of what common law courts do that it is very important nobody points out the elephant in the room.

But its also fundamentally necessary just due to the nature of maritime matters. Especially in a modern context where owners are actually buried under mountains of shell companies, it is important for people to have a way to recover damages. In light of all the circumstances surrounding any maritime tort, it makes sense to seize the ship/cargo and if it matters enough to someone they'll step up and make a claim.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Discendo Vox posted:

SCOTUS Thread 2016: US. v. one bag of assorted animals

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Seeing as there isn't a Federal Justice System thread, can we ask in here if anyone can think of a good reason that purging close to fifty prosecutors isn't the last straw in the US being a banana republic?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

But its also fundamentally necessary just due to the nature of maritime matters. Especially in a modern context where owners are actually buried under mountains of shell companies, it is important for people to have a way to recover damages. In light of all the circumstances surrounding any maritime tort, it makes sense to seize the ship/cargo and if it matters enough to someone they'll step up and make a claim.

How does this apply to the situation where your car and cash are stolen by police under the color of law simply for being a minority driving through their town?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Potato Salad posted:

Seeing as there isn't a Federal Justice System thread, can we ask in here if anyone can think of a good reason that purging close to fifty prosecutors isn't the last straw in the US being a banana republic?

Asking for resignations isn't uncommon, telling someone you won't ask them, asking them, they refuse and you fire them is very uncommon though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

All USAs are generally replaced on day 1. A competent administration would have replacements all ready to go.

This administration is not competent, so they waited 2 months to replace half of them after asking them to stick around.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Every administration appoints their own US attorneys. It's common practice for them to stay on until you get a replacement confirmed but very rare for them to keep the role permanently. Obama only kept one (out of 93) Bush-era US attorney for his entire term, and incidentally that was the same guy who's now up for Deputy Attorney General.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing like a good old ship arrest to get the juices flowing.

edit: Actually I was taught in law school that the notice of arrest gets placed on the funnel or spout or whatever it's called on a ship. But casual research in Australia apparently the common and best practice is affixing it to the Bridge Window. Which, now i'm imaging an a4 piece of paper with THIS SHIP IS UNDER ARREST written on it stuck on the window.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 12, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

The U.S. economy does not revolve around the export of one specific resource, therefore it cannot be a banana republic. :smug:

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

hobbesmaster posted:

All USAs are generally replaced on day 1. A competent administration would have replacements all ready to go.

This administration is not competent, so they waited 2 months to replace half of them after asking them to stick around.

Except they aren't being replaced, the position is just being left empty because the White House doesn't have people lined up for all the positions.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Alchenar posted:

Aren't there property doctrines that pretty much do exactly that though? The one where you relied on being allowed to use some property and no one stopped you and now you get a small property interest in being able to use the property that way in the future.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 12, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ogmius815 posted:

Aren't there property doctrines that pretty much do exactly that though? The one where you relied on being allowed to use some property and no one stopped you and now you get a small property interest in being able to use the property that way in the future.

That requires “open and notorious“ use for decades, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rygar201 posted:

Asking for resignations isn't uncommon, telling someone you won't ask them, asking them, they refuse and you fire them is very uncommon though.

Firing a bunch of people when you haven't even started to look for their replacements isn't normal. When Clinton cleaned house he kept the USDAs on until their replacements were confirmed.

When it comes to Trump the answer to a question of "is this normal" is always going to default to no.