Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Predator fans expect less, I think. There's only been one truly great Predator movie. I think Predator 2 is amazing, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a good movie; the AvP films were dumb clusterfucks; and Predators was fun but forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There isn't really an over arching story for Predator. It's a Predator comes down or shows up and the heroes get it cocky enough so that they could kill it. And thassit.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

There isn't really an over arching story for Predator. It's a Predator comes down or shows up and the heroes get it cocky enough so that they could kill it. And thassit.

The thing I've found entertaining lately is that while the Alien comics and novels made it a point to Reboot The Canon a couple years ago, the Predator series has been doing the opposite - we're getting a comic series later this year that's literally a reunion tour of characters from the 90s Predator comics who survived their Predator encounters, and there's a short story anthology coming out this year or next year that's going to do the same thing for the old Predator novels (and some cameos from movie characters).

So on one side of the aisle you've got Ridley Scott with a stranglehold on a franchise for the indefinite future (for better or for worse) and literally saying "you guys want Aliens? I'll give you loving Aliens", and on the other side you've got a bunch of authors and artists making shameless callbacks to Predator comics and novels nobody really remembers anyway unless they're a turbofan like me. The approaches to franchise management couldn't be any more different.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

io9 has a spoiler-filled summary of three scenes they saw. One is a relatively quiet scene when they first arrive, the next explains the explosion in the trailer and the last one features David.

Summary:
2nd clip: Baby xeno comes out of a guy in the medbay, kills someone and when another character tries to kill it with a shotgun she accidentally hit tanks containing flammable material. The xeno escapes the explosion.

3rd clip: Captain Oram (Billy Crudup) is talking with David, who is studying the xenos and have dissected some specimens. He confirms what we saw in the trailers: those pods on the ground release insectoid carriers (apparently transformed from black goo) that infect other creatures to create hybrids. David says that the familiar xeno eggs are waiting for "mother" and assures Oram that humans are safe. Oram checks an egg and gets facehugged.

There are also videos of the Q&A session afterwards.

Speaking of Predator, a photo of The Predator cast:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 12, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

SimonCat posted:

Blade Runner, Alien, and Soldier are all in the same universe.

Wait what, how is Blade Runner? And what's Soldier?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

willie_dee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxi34UDA1b4

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

willie_dee posted:

Short answer: It's the reason I'm always shocked Paul W.S. Anderson gets work.

He directed an action movie set in the Blade Runner universe about the transition from brainwashed humans to the earliest wave of perfectly bred super soldiers, Tanhauser Gate, etc., and it stars Kurt Russell, Jason Scott Lee and Gary Busey..............and it's one of the limpest and most boring mass released sci-fi movies ever made.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/11/14894898/alien-covenant-preview-ridley-scott-sxsw-2017

Article goes a little bit more in depth on the three scenes that got shown, the big reveal being that David is the one who "bred" the xenos as we know them from the fauna already on the planet.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

io9 has a spoiler-filled summary of three scenes they saw. One is a relatively quiet scene when they first arrive, the next explains the explosion in the trailer and the last one features David.

Summary:
2nd clip: Baby xeno comes out of a guy in the medbay, kills someone and when another character tries to kill it with a shotgun she accidentally hit tanks containing flammable material. The xeno escapes the explosion.

3rd clip: Captain Oram (Billy Crudup) is talking with David, who is studying the xenos and have dissected some specimens. He confirms what we saw in the trailers: those pods on the ground release insectoid carriers (apparently transformed from black goo) that infect other creatures to create hybrids. David says that the familiar xeno eggs are waiting for "mother" and assures Oram that humans are safe. Oram checks an egg and gets facehugged.

There are also videos of the Q&A session afterwards.

Speaking of Predator, a photo of The Predator cast:

Olivia Munn looks really different with a mustache.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Soldier is funny because Kurt Russell is comically silent throughout the movie, with only 104 words spoken according to IMDb. Other than that it sucks rear end.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Soldier is good, unless you loathe fun or something dumb like that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WTF BEES posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/11/14894898/alien-covenant-preview-ridley-scott-sxsw-2017

Article goes a little bit more in depth on the three scenes that got shown, the big reveal being that David is the one who "bred" the xenos as we know them from the fauna already on the planet.

but there was a mural of them in prometheus. wth.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

but there was a mural of them in prometheus. wth.

yeah, David creating the xenos makes no sense in relation to the larger Alien timeline, but gently caress it it is what it is. Just pretend it didn't happen; that's what I'm doing.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!
He's creating them using local fuana, so it's more like he's breeding them for optimum lethality.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny ridley seems to not like the alien queen concept because 1. the queen is the coolest alien but 2. thematically it's way more interesting if the xenomorphs are a naturally occurring species. you have the space jockeys finding them and using them as a weapon and it turns on them and then you have the company in their greed and hubris wanting to capture them and make them into weapons despite it already failing once for this ancient alien and then again for the nostromo. that had been my reading of the two movies ever since i was pretty young.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 12, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Black Bones posted:

Soldier is good, unless you loathe fun or something dumb like that

No one trusts Kurt Russell because he's a soldier, but he grabs a snake before it bites a family member, now they trust him, five minute Enya montage of people farming. Fun.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah soldier sounds like it's a fun and stupid b-movie in synopsis form, but it's actually glacially paced and boring.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's funny ridley seems to not like the alien queen concept because 1. the queen is the coolest alien but 2. thematically it's way more interesting if the xenomorphs are a naturally occurring species. you have the space jockeys finding them and using them as a weapon and it turns on them and then you have the company in their greed and hubris wanting to capture them and make them into weapons despite it already failing once for this ancient alien and then again for the nostromo. that had been my reading of the two movies ever since i was pretty young.

The aliens being just big parasitic wasps is actually lame

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nah. otherwise i wouldn't have made the post.

nature is scary and uncaring. even in the original movie they seem to be space bugs.

married but discreet posted:

I'm firmly on team eggmorph, team slime bees can suck it.

they aren't mutually exclusive.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 12, 2017

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm firmly on team eggmorph, team slime bees can suck it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

The aliens being just big parasitic wasps is actually lame

I agree with this, it creates certain assumptions about their behavior and intelligence. And even on the commentary track for Aliens, James Cameron, I mean his ego is massive he doesn't say he hosed up, but he speaks for a few minutes about how he likes the idea of the aliens being very intelligent in ways the human brain doesn't really parse and how that may not come across in the movie (lol of course I think he worded it more like people didn't get his vision).

But stuff like when Hudson says "How can they cut the power man they're animals" etc. Cameron's intention wasn't that they just chewed on or spat acid on a bunch of poo poo and it broke the lights but that they literally have the intelligence to be like oh here's some circuit breakers lets switch all of these off even if they don't use technology themselves. IIRC he sort of implies that he wanted their bio-mechanical, half-built/robotic nature to be the reason their brains have an affinity for comprehending basic circuitry quickly and navigating the airducts to get the drop on the marines quickly and so on.

Either way Aliens is amazing but a lot of EU stuff really does take it to the extreme of them just being an oversize ant colony and when we see the xenomorph ripped off in pop culture in video games/other movies/etc. that's how the portrayal goes.

Personally I like both the egg morph and the queen existing at once, like why not? Maybe when an alien is really "old" it's able to egg morph itself away or something whatever.

Oh man in the video game Dead Space, there's a brief level where you have to find these things the necromorphs placed throughout that are polluting the station's environment and it turns out they're still alive in the process of being egg-morphed dudes, it's awesome.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 12, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of video games, it's funny how the zerg of starcraft are a ripoff of the tyranids of warhammer (a ripoff of xenomorphs) and now the space jockeys are the xel'naga of starcraft.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah. otherwise i wouldn't have made the post.

nature is scary and uncaring. even in the original movie they seem to be space bugs.

they aren't mutually exclusive.

Actually, in the original movie, the alien was a dark reflection of the astronaut crew. Its carapace didn't invoke that of an insect, but of a techno-organic space suit with hoses and a translucent dome helmet.

James Cameron and Stan Winston altered the original HR Giger creature design to be more insect like in Aliens.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

facehugger looks like an arthropod.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Holy gently caress. I just noticed that Alien fandom is egg-morphing into something resembling Star Wars fandom.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of video games, it's funny how the zerg of starcraft are a ripoff of the tyranids of warhammer (a ripoff of xenomorphs) and now the space jockeys are the xel'naga of starcraft.

From what I understand the Tyranids used to be a lot closer to space Vampires, and the Zerg were a lot like that in the early design phase of Starcraft, but were then changed into their actual Starcraft 1 design (Starcraft 2 Zerg are dumb and bad). The Tyranids were then changed to be more Zerg-like as Starcraft grew in popularity. And of course they all owe a pretty big debt to the xenomorphs creatively. It's all very incestuous.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
As long as it's hosed up and horrifying, I'm okay with any method of xenomorph reproduction. Who knows, the Neomorph might be a Thing!I didn't read any of the spoilers please don't spoil this poo poo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

UmOk posted:

Holy gently caress. I just noticed that Alien fandom is egg-morphing into something resembling Star Wars fandom.

Scott made the Alien prequels he wanted to make.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love egg morphing and Alien Queens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

As long as it's hosed up and horrifying, I'm okay with any method of xenomorph reproduction. Who knows, the Neomorph might be a Thing!I didn't read any of the spoilers please don't spoil this poo poo

I love this method because they had the budget to eggs and a few different locations to shoot in but just for one big alien face so the "reproduction" method is that when someone comes near the alien egg it pulses and then explodes some goop over the person. Shortly after, the person explodes. That's it. :laffo: This movie owns though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUAehspCTU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mecha Gojira posted:

Actually, in the original movie, the alien was a dark reflection of the astronaut crew. Its carapace didn't invoke that of an insect, but of a techno-organic space suit with hoses and a translucent dome helmet.

James Cameron and Stan Winston altered the original HR Giger creature design to be more insect like in Aliens.
The only thing they altered in 'Aliens' was the top of the dome, the forearms/hands, and the feet.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

I love this method because they had the budget to eggs and a few different locations to shoot in but just for one big alien face so the "reproduction" method is that when someone comes near the alien egg it pulses and then explodes some goop over the person. Shortly after, the person explodes. That's it. :laffo: This movie owns though.

Honestly I almost find the eggs from Contamination a little scarier. Xenomorphs at least kill you to keep their life cycle going, the Contamination eggs just kill you for... no apparent reason.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's true the movie kind of does a bad job at being creepy because it gives the eggs that adorable warbling sound and all the body explosions are in extreme slow motion so they look crazy at first but then you clearly see the squib/etc. stuff used for the effect. But the concept, especially that the ending is just straight up "sorry folks they actually did distribute them all over NYC, the planet dies" is definitely up there. The total lack of endgame for the alien at the end, how it even managed to get back, Italian cinema has always been 100% correct in worrying first about whether or not something is cool and worrying never about if something makes sense, the best ones come together in a dream logic way that I love.

If anyone wants to check it out in English, just please don't mix it up with "Alien Contamination," this is an unrelated and terrible movie but was also called just Contamination in some releases.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Neo Rasa posted:

No one trusts Kurt Russell because he's a soldier, but he grabs a snake before it bites a family member, now they trust him, five minute Enya montage of people farming. Fun.

. . yeah?

edit: Garbage farmers hate space snakes, it's obviously the most effective way to earn their respect

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 12, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Veib posted:

Soldier is funny because Kurt Russell is comically silent throughout the movie, with only 104 words spoken according to IMDb. Other than that it sucks rear end.

He broke his leg in like the first week of shooting so he couldn't walk much. Making for a slow boring movie with a stupid plot. Ghosts of Mars was better. The 10 seconds looking at the medals Kurt Russell got from killing all the "Alien" aliens, aliens from the thing and bladerunner robots does not make up for a 2 hour movie being awful.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 12, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true the movie kind of does a bad job at being creepy because it gives the eggs that adorable warbling sound and all the body explosions are in extreme slow motion so they look crazy at first but then you clearly see the squib/etc. stuff used for the effect. But the concept, especially that the ending is just straight up "sorry folks they actually did distribute them all over NYC, the planet dies" is definitely up there. The total lack of endgame for the alien at the end, how it even managed to get back, Italian cinema has always been 100% correct in worrying first about whether or not something is cool and worrying never about if something makes sense, the best ones come together in a dream logic way that I love.

If anyone wants to check it out in English, just please don't mix it up with "Alien Contamination," this is an unrelated and terrible movie but was also called just Contamination in some releases.

I think you might have that backwards about Alien Contamination, AC was the alternate title Cannon used when they released Contamination in the US.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

He broke his leg in like the first week of shooting so he couldn't walk much. Making for a slow boring movie with a stupid plot. Ghosts of Mars was better. The 10 seconds looking at the medals Kurt Russell got from killing all the "Alien" aliens, aliens from the thing and bladerunner robots does not make up for a 2 hour movie being awful.

macready cross. nice.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think you might have that backwards about Alien Contamination, AC was the alternate title Cannon used when they released Contamination in the US.

You're right, I mixed it up with the Jack Palance film Without Warning, which some sites seem to have listed as "Alien Contamination." :wtc:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Live translation as provided by YouTube:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Groovelord Neato posted:

macready cross. nice.

All his medals are shout outs to his other roles.