Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not 100% of the assets look worse, I'd even say some look better in the interest of fairness.

And then you get this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevK81DgOWc
2:00 minutes in.

As strange as it may sound, on the iOS ports, everything looks overlaid where originally, it's all fitting and looks like it's embedded because it looks like it's the same palate.

Meh. Not a huge deal.

Both look meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Not 100% of the assets look worse, I'd even say some look better in the interest of fairness.

And then you get this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevK81DgOWc
2:00 minutes in.

As strange as it may sound, on the iOS ports, everything looks overlaid where originally, it's all fitting and looks like it's embedded because it looks like it's the same palate.

It's not exactly the same, I'll admit.

It's hardly terrible, though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Makes me shudder

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cvnvcnv posted:

Bringing all this up in response to someone who hasn't played VI and therefore this all is meaningless to, :classiclol:

this

tl;dr: the iOS/Steam versions replaced the original sprites with kind of ugly drawings or whatever, and sharpened up the enemy sprites, etc. It's a very minor change that will not in any way change or diminish your enjoyment of the game, especially if it's your first time. Play it on whatever system you want.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the ios port looks fine if you aren't wearing your glasses and are also fresh off of a severe head injury

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

the ios port looks fine if you aren't wearing your glasses and are also fresh off of a severe head injury

can you order the severe head injury DLC to accompany your purchase of iOS 5 or 6?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Modding out the smoothening filter makes it just a tad bit more tolerable at least

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Real men exclusively play FF6 on the Micro

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I exclusively play it by kidnapping lead development and writing staff and forcing them to tell it to me as a bed time story.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Norns posted:

Real men exclusively play FF6 on the Micro

I have the Super Famicom version so I'm going to say the SFC version is the only way to play even though I don't have a Super Famicom console, can't read Japanese and don't know if my cart works so only have it for collectors sakes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I have the Super Famicom version so I'm going to say the SFC version is the only way to play even though I don't have a Super Famicom console, can't read Japanese and don't know if my cart works so only have it for collectors sakes.

Nice

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Same for Chrono Trigger.

Chrono Trigger is really good
Let's all have a moment of appreciation for some good boys who would be great roadtrip buddies: Robo and Frog. Love those guys.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Your problem is you bought a lovely console.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Meh. Not a huge deal.

Both look meh.

What the....

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm going through chapter 13 for a 2nd time and it's a lot easier / faster when you straight up ignore the idea of stealth and just use the ring to murder everybody. You can even kill the red giant (he respawns though). It makes it go by really fast and it's almost bearable (still pretty bad design)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

So I didn't realise that the chocobo festival event was a limited time deal. Did I miss anything exciting? I've not touched this since Yakuza 0 and Nier.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

CrashScreen posted:

So I didn't realise that the chocobo festival event was a limited time deal. Did I miss anything exciting? I've not touched this since Yakuza 0 and Nier.

Nothing much other than some recipes and mysterious egg.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Is the new timed quest up?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Alder posted:

Nothing much other than some recipes and mysterious egg.

That mysterious egg sounds interesting?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

1redflag posted:

Is the new timed quest up?

Three hours from now.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

MrLonghair posted:

Three hours from now.

Timed Quest is Malboro and Marlbodom smashing just by Cape Caem, active "Ch 11 Onward". My Lv1 playthrough that's taking its time having a ball ch6 gently weeps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Im finishing the legendary weapon quests but that sounds fun.

I have a ribbon so bring it on.

Mine says chapter 1 onward though.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Im finishing the legendary weapon quests but that sounds fun.

I have a ribbon so bring it on.

Mine says chapter 1 onward though.

Odd.

Thankfully one can leave the area and make it a prompt you have to trigger manually for the mission but this would be fun

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's mine

That seems odd to have different requirements.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

"Could not initiate timed quest. Review the quest information." aw man guess it's time to proceed, hope we can partner up with Iris with some future DLC item or something

e: main savegame that's completed it all can do it no problem, says it opens ch1 on that one.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 7, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How difficult is it? I don't have ribbons.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How difficult is it? I don't have ribbons.

My main save is lv77 with only a single ribbon, it was just a 15 minute slapfight with some magic, some melee, some mega-potion use (scavenged on the field). It's nothing compared to the 100 cactaur fight.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I dropped a max spell bomb and it got rid of the Marlboros. The dooms weren't so bad I'm just not used to the Zwill cross blades so I just fumbled around like an idiot waiting for limit breaks.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

My main save is lv77 with only a single ribbon, it was just a 15 minute slapfight with some magic, some melee, some mega-potion use (scavenged on the field). It's nothing compared to the 100 cactaur fight.

That thing was easy as poo poo, i had to use a few of my remedies. I wish I would have grinded it a bit though.

I'm level 67 and banking a bunch of xp though.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The xp curve past 99 seems... a lot.

I banked 800,000 xp via expericasts and the drat good food and thought "Hey, that's good enough to get me to like, 110 easy, right?"

A stay in altissa for 2.4mil xp... got me to.. 101. From 100. :psyduck:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've rested only in Altissia for all the XP the game throws at you doing just about every quest in the game (didn't do Adamantoise) and finishing the story and it got me to 96. Which seems a lot nice than my first playthrough without the Nixperience Band where a ton of XP was lost during chapter ends. I think that one ended with me around mid 60's.

No grinding or expericast so I still have all my coins which should get me to 99 I hope. No idea what the point of raising the cap does aside from a little bit more AP after sinking god knows how many millions of XP.

EDIT: Googled it, it's apparently 26M XP to lvl 120 :eyepop:

(It's like 4M to reach 99)

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 7, 2017

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So that's really just 8.6 million xp you need to bank before going to Altissia! That's not bad..

At least the expericasts don't care if you put 1 magic energy in them or 99, they give the same xp for a given level of the expericast.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Lol what the hell at the new leveling requirements. Do the stat increases get like exponentially larger or is it just overestimating how much people want to keep playing after they finish everything

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The marlboros weren't that hard. just throw some ice magic at them and ignore the tiny ones entirely, and eat the kebob meal and you'll be fine. took me a while at 67 though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The marlboros weren't that hard. just throw some ice magic at them and ignore the tiny ones entirely, and eat the kebob meal and you'll be fine. took me a while at 67 though.

I dunno if it was a fluke or what but I encountered those 2 lvl88 Malbodooms outside Pitioss Ruins when I was in like the 40's and they weren't that hard at all. Ice magic helps like you said but really it was just a matter of running around them; they're so slow that you can easily get behind them for link strikes over and over.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Augus posted:

Well poo poo I can take my glasses off

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

episode gladios on ps4 looks like it runs at 15 fps. it also is short (the pax demo) and only has cor and gladio. they have the "xbox" version but it might be actually running on a pc. maybe it's an old build.

it also has different mechanics, a rage meter...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Keiichi Okabe, composer of NieR 1,2 and Drakengard 3, is doing Gladio's theme in the DLC and a new version of Battle at the Big Bridge from FFV in a NieR style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keiichi Okabe, composer of NieR 1,2 and Drakengard 3, is doing Gladio's theme in the DLC and a new version of Battle at the Big Bridge from FFV in a NieR style.

FFXV 100% justified forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He mentioned that BatBB has vocals.
And when I think of NieR vocals, I think Emi Evans.

And BatBB with Emi Evans is something I NEED.

e: heh they're playing it on the trailer right now, it's not Emi Evans but it sounds really good. They'll be launching this trailer soon on YT surely.

• Locked thread