Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zegermans posted:

Hannity notwithstanding, I'll never understand why conservative radio hosts play the debt ceiling game - they know it would be complete apocalypse if it happens.

They don't believe in anything other than money, either that or they're like Coulter and have been playing a character so long that they don't have any choice if they want to keep their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

if trump forces them to pass a debt limit increase over a presidential veto just lmao

budget neutral!!! NO DEBT INCREASE

eat the poo poo you loving cucks eat it

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Leviathan posted:

what's the exact date the ceiling has to be raised by?

too many variables for an exact date, the treasury is currently using 'extraordinary measures' to keep from defaulting, when exactly that runs out depends on a whole lot

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Squizzle is all of us

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

no one really gaf if the naziest country in south america defaults, but the reliability of american debt is what undergirds most of uh everything in the world that has decimal points

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

staring down the barrel of a default could inspirsome innovations of legal theory

yes indeed "gently caress you got mine" simply cannot handle this situation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Can't wait to be put on a reservation/zoo by telepathic CRISPR babies after they conquer the world with their superior genetics

dont put your baby in the cripser overnight, it doenst make them telepathic, only dead

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relevant Tangent posted:

because doing so would prove once and for all that capitalism is a lie and make economists very very sad

:bisonyes:

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

thats the great thing about crispr, its really just a virus so we can (at least theoretically) use it on living things! With 5 simple payments you too can become a telepathic crispr monster (as seen on tv!)

I'm going to make it so I can photosynthesize. I mean, I'll still eat cheeseburgers constantly, but I won't have to. That'll just make the dead cows/yaks/buffaloes taste even better though.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

and i must meme posted:

weird how it would all be in people's heads

physical reality would be exactly the same, there'd be just as much stuff in the world

except for all the money that only exists on balance sheets no longer existing

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sir Tonk posted:

Squizzle is all of us

no squizzle no squizzle ur the squizzle

*is also squizzle*

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Addamere posted:

as an undergrad taking a political science course i once asked the professor why the us cannot just default on all its sovereign debt and the response was a mealymouthed wall of text about precedent and good faith and blah blah blah

and im like yo argentina defaulted and recovered from it just fine and they DIDN'T have the worlds largest economy and infrastructure and military and ability to bully the rest of the world into doing what they want to which he told me i did not understand the complexity

so someone here in cspam tell me complexity of what prevents big swinging dick us of a from just being like nah we dont owe u nerds poo poo wanna do something about it try it i will blow up this entire goddamned planet to spite you for it

i will have a mcskillet and a large chocolate shake please

long term the country would be fine, the markets would be hosed, rich people would lose billions. nbd. trump 101. TRUMP.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

They don't believe in anything other than money, either that or they're like Coulter and have been playing a character so long that they don't have any choice if they want to keep their job.

that's just the thing though, in national economic collapse their money wouldn't be worth anything.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

except for all the money that only exists on balance sheets no longer existing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1d5VvCa8Fo

day crew is helena bonham carter

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zegermans posted:

Squizzle do you ever sleep or are you two people

i spend all of autumn in profound meditation once every 7 years and have thus eliminated my need for sleep

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

zegermans posted:

Hannity notwithstanding, I'll never understand why conservative radio hosts play the debt ceiling game - they know it would be complete apocalypse if it happens.

the right wing is hopped up on that hate debt beat to push austerity and like every other thing they have championed the base has gone full retard with it and theyve lost control

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, I watched Tom Cotton on the news show this morning with Stephanopoulos. It's been a while since I've seen him talk and I have to say, that guy is dangerous. He is very smooth and polished, he's very good at expressing his position in a way that is appealing to everyone. He is far more dangerous than the slim goblin Ted Cruz because he is an affable person.

It's been months since I watched Sunday morning news shows. There was not even one Democrat under the age of 60 that was appealing; a journalist yes, but no politician.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Did you know cicadas don't even morph with mouths and have to gently caress before starving to death?

What the gently caress kind of life is that, 17 years suckling on a tree, and then die in a week.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i mean making decisions that wipe out billions of dollars of his own wealth is trump's signature move so he'll push for it hard

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

punchymcpunch posted:

long term the country would be fine, the markets would be hosed, rich people would lose billions. nbd. trump 101. TRUMP.

right? abloo bloo bloo some people get hosed by a policy change oh dear sweet baby jesus wait no this happens literally all the time this is fine whatever USA still the best

And there ain't a goddamned thing anybody can do about it
You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why
Two words, nuclear loving weapons, okay?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Eventually we'd probably get tired of eating the rich, but letting Donald Trump preside over the complete destruction of the global economy is one of those things you only get the opportunity to do once so I say go for it.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

radical meme posted:

Holy poo poo, I watched Tom Cotton on the news show this morning with Stephanopoulos. It's been a while since I've seen him talk and I have to say, that guy is dangerous. He is very smooth and polished, he's very good at expressing his position in a way that is appealing to everyone. He is far more dangerous than the slim goblin Ted Cruz because he is an affable person.

It's been months since I watched Sunday morning news shows. There was not even one Democrat under the age of 60 that was appealing; a journalist yes, but no politician.

In the past I'd say "he looks too stupid to do anything" but here we are

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i highly doubt sean hannity, rush limbaugh, and mark levin understand a single loving thing about how money works, let alone the debt limit

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

trump!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

radical meme posted:

you could plant juniper bushes smarter than tom cotton

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zegermans posted:

Did you know cicadas don't even morph with mouths and have to gently caress before starving to death?

What the gently caress kind of life is that, 17 years suckling on a tree, and then die in a week.

Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch
Never build a building till you're 50, what kind of life is that?
Stalled out on an escalator wishing
Which way to return, up or down
My Palestinian nephew got his face blown off in a dusty craft

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Levin isn't an idiot, he was deputy attorney general.. Limbaugh and Hannity are though, neither went to college and both majored in "my dad has a good paying job for me"

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Addamere posted:

right? abloo bloo bloo some people get hosed by a policy change oh dear sweet baby jesus wait no this happens literally all the time this is fine whatever USA still the best

And there ain't a goddamned thing anybody can do about it
You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why
Two words, nuclear loving weapons, okay?

yeh i mean global depressions are actually sort of a big deal tho. it wouldnt rip a tear in the fabric of reality is all im sayin.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

radical meme posted:

buttigeig

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relevant Tangent posted:

Eventually we'd probably get tired of eating the rich, but letting Donald Trump preside over the complete destruction of the global economy is one of those things you only get the opportunity to do once so I say go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMHOVxd8Yc

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

long term it should be possible to recover from the US defaulting but the question is do we survive the short term of literally upending the entire financial system

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Baloogan posted:

buttigeig

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
drinky duck and nihilist rabbit

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Can somebody post that cyber c-spam drunk tweet

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zegermans posted:

Levin isn't an idiot, he was deputy attorney general.. Limbaugh and Hannity are though, neither went to college and both majored in "my dad has a good paying job for me"

going off my knowledge of doctors i'm assuming lawyer is another career where you know gently caress all about anything not relating to law

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

long term it should be possible to recover from the US defaulting but the question is do we survive the short term of literally upending the entire financial system

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zegermans posted:

This is an apt allegory for the yearly debt ceiling debate

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Squizzle posted:

you could plant juniper bushes smarter than tom cotton

True, but the guy had some pretty good non-answers to very pointed questions about the health care bill and Trump's twitter melt down. He didn't walk onto the set unprepared.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

radical meme posted:

He didn't walk onto the set unprepared.

much like a juniper bush

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Raskolnikov38 posted:

solidarity and murder

• Locked thread