Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nasgate posted:

Im about 10 minutes in and both Tru and that conq are utter garbage. Tru also just keeps spouting uninformed opinions and other garbage.

Care to back that up with credentials? I'm poo poo tier but Tru places pretty high in tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Care to back that up with credentials? I'm poo poo tier but Tru places pretty high in tournaments.
I would like to mention that having seen the final matches of several tournaments. Placing highly in them is like winning a LAN or MtG tournament at your local comic store. It means gently caress all. Specifically because there's not a real competitive scene yet, so tourneys are just filled with randos. The winner of one could be barely skilled enough to make it past their first match in another with no real indication of which tournament has more skilled players unless you watch every boring fight.

Red Mundus posted:

Anything particular stick out?

As the vid goes on Tru gets better, so i assume he's just tired from doing a long stream or just getting up to give him the benefit of the doubt.

He states that "it's a combo" and that you can't parry the attack after a shield bash. This is true for light attacks in the open and heavies against a wall. However he says it and later mentions it again after getting heavied after a shield bash in the open like a chump.

Specifically the Conqueror is both playing too safe and too risky. He's going on the offensive but only with the guaranteed moves, which is dangerous against assassins. You see this come to fruition pretty quickly as Tru 3-0s the conq after just a couple matches.
This is kind of where I get saying that Tru is garbo or really tired. Because conq options are very limited and basic. This player in particular has his own personal set list that's easy to see after two rounds. Either Tru doesn't play many conquerors or has never played as a conqueror in his life.

Later he gets tackled to the ground and states the heavy is guaranteed. This isn't true, or at the very least is only true if you're doing it frame perfect after the tackle, as i've both blocked and been blocked in the exact situation.

Tru goes on and on about how you have to hit the conq during his startup for the shield bash, which also is a foggy statement. It really depends on the character and how he initiates it. A back dodge bash is hard to deal with yes, but the other 4 bashes are fairly easy to interrupt during the bash depending on class(berserker is the best at this in my experience both as and against). He shoots down someone in chat for mentioning Raider as one of these(spoiler, the chatter is right).

I stopped shortly after the 3-0 match because it was the perfect example of how Tru is just being a whiny child and he goes on a rant about the startup frames half-truths which is also a perfect example of his knowledge he shares.

TLDR; Tru is worse than a liar in terms of being a source of info, because he's telling half-truths without expansion or explanation. And both him and the Conq, while good at twitch gameplay elements, are really awful at mind games and adapting.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
The only tournament play I have seen that was remotely interesting was the 2v2 that was true 2v2 instead of two 1v1s. It was pretty interesting and involved things analogous to peeling, tanking, dps, blah, blah, blah. KingRichard for instance often excelled due to very active target switching and such. It was fun to watch and seemed pretty intense to play, in part because they actually had to communicate with their partner, which Richard was also very good at. Literally all the other tourney play was the snooze fest inspired by current game mechanics.

I sometimes think of the movie Rashomon. The swordsman depict their fight as heroic... well they are heroic and their opponent is lesser. The women's account is of a fight between two petrified men who refuse to engage and flail about uselessly.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 12, 2017

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I haven't played this in a while due to the connectivity issues (and zelda) and probably won't until there fixed but I am hopeful for the future of this game.

It definitely needs a decent amount of work though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Fighting Valkyrie and PKs on console is garbage. 30 fps+controller deadzone +p2p means that it's basically up to God whether or not I can block them. Same goes for unblockable charges, but those at least always go one direction.

I don't feel bad when I lose, but I feel bad for them when I win. They have every advantage and still squander it. It's like watching a rich kid gently caress up their life.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Anyone else feel like the "Complete X games" contracts are just trolling at this point? When I can actually get games, I get dc'd before the end on probably 7 out of 10.

Re: Conq chat, I'm terrible and I wreck fools that try to step to me.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaUPXB-QrC8

Lawbro 4 Lyfe

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Fighting Valkyrie and PKs on console is garbage. 30 fps+controller deadzone +p2p means that it's basically up to God whether or not I can block them. Same goes for unblockable charges, but those at least always go one direction.

I don't feel bad when I lose, but I feel bad for them when I win. They have every advantage and still squander it. It's like watching a rich kid gently caress up their life.

Agreed on this. The lack of customization of the controller is the most infuriating... Let's put arguably two of the most important buttons (and also feint) on the right face buttons so you have to take your thumb off the most important control element in the game to press them.

Meanwhile, L1 and L2 are both generally useless things that you don't need continual access to if you use lock toggle (which should be the default anyway).

The devs really don't play their own game.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
So regarding Warden shoulder charge cancel, is there a way to cancel it after the animation happens? I feel like I've watched streamers initiate a shoulder charge and cancel it right before it connects with the opponent in order to GB them. I'm only aware of being able to cancel it before the animation occurs.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Javes posted:

So regarding Warden shoulder charge cancel, is there a way to cancel it after the animation happens? I feel like I've watched streamers initiate a shoulder charge and cancel it right before it connects with the opponent in order to GB them. I'm only aware of being able to cancel it before the animation occurs.

It kind of looks like you are in the animation because as the shoulder charge launches the Warden shifts his weight forward, then you lunge forward with the GB. I'm not aware of any way to actually cancel it once you start scooting along the ground though.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

I'm sure you know this but really it bears repeating - prestige rank does not relate directly to skill.

I'm almost Prestige 4 but I regularly duel non-prestiged people because I'm too slow to ever counter GB and usually too slow to block any normals.

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 12, 2017

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Javes posted:

You can only cancel it while you are charging it up or in the first few "steps" of the animation. Kind of like storm rush. Once he gets going you can't stop it.
The GB trick is that if you start a shoulder charge and then immediately hit guard break, it has a slightly longer range than the normal GB. Watch out for heroes that can sidestep and attack though, for obvious reasons.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Agreed on this. The lack of customization of the controller is the most infuriating... Let's put arguably two of the most important buttons (and also feint) on the right face buttons so you have to take your thumb off the most important control element in the game to press them.

Meanwhile, L1 and L2 are both generally useless things that you don't need continual access to if you use lock toggle (which should be the default anyway).

The devs really don't play their own game.

You can't change the controls because they don't want anyone to have an unfair advantage. I have the same problem moving my thumb around quickply and I think it's intended that you anticipate the opponents move rather than react to it. This is a way of weakening the otherwise potentially rock solid defense game. If you had instant reactionary access to gb dodge block defend it would be too easy to maintain perfect defense. Maybe this argument goes out the window with keyboard controls i dont know.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Wandle Cax posted:

You can't change the controls because they don't want anyone to have an unfair advantage. I have the same problem moving my thumb around quickply and I think it's intended that you anticipate the opponents move rather than react to it. This is a way of weakening the otherwise potentially rock solid defense game. If you had instant reactionary access to gb dodge block defend it would be too easy to maintain perfect defense. Maybe this argument goes out the window with keyboard controls i dont know.

It does. Also PC can easily remap controller buttons.

For that matter, Xbox can too with an Elite controller.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
You can remap ps4 controls in system settings.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

spoilers, the other team got their poo poo pushed in HARD.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
An argument in chat just broke out because someone complained that the "feign meta" was destroying the game.

*edit* oh god they're still going at it. Now they are arguing that anything over 6lbs can't be parried because it's impossible unless you are a really strong bodybuilder.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 13, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I can think of a long list of things that are destroying the game and feints aren't on it.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I hate feints because I feel like such a scrub every time I get outplayed by a guy feinting

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Think I'm cooling a bit on For Honor - it's a fun game and I've had a super good time, but it's a bit light on the content. Hopefully the future updates will be good.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
https://gfycat.com/FaroffNeglectedDromedary :thumbsup:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

feints are the only reason this game can be considered competitive, they are a key offensive tool.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Without feints my Kensei game would be utter garbage.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Anything that causes me to die is overpowered.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

"Feint meta" is a new one to me. I see people complain about the "defensive meta" which they're at least right to do in that case, but drat lol, what level of shitter actually thinks feints are bad for the game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHizYAavbnE

tl;dr got disconnected, and the game beat the campaign for me

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I like it when someone thinks you're going to feint and you just chunk em with a side heavy

cams
Mar 28, 2003

What does Nobushi get after a kick?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If it's combo'd you get a bleed.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

cams posted:

Top or side heavy IIRC

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

After a combo kick, the unblockable one? I'm pretty sure you can't guarantee a heavy off those. Into a wall, maybe you can.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

cams posted:

Guaranteed combo into a significant bleed, and the stereotypical thing I see is to follow up with another light, though that isn't guaranteed.

Nier 2 has been too much fun to bother with feudal racist wonderland of late, but eventually I'm gonna have to knuckle back down into this.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
So raider is able to counter guard break the warden's vortex. This is because he is the only character with a dodge guardbreak.

What you do when you see the shoulder bash is dodge +guard break, and if he cancels to guard break, you can now counter it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I saw a tourney yesterday where a Raider was pulling off an unparryable zone attack. Looked like he was untargeting mid swing or something.

Raider secretly top tier?

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

The devs consider unparryable attacks a bug, so I wouldn't solely rely on it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Vortex characters are really making me want to stop playing this game. Apparently I'm at the matchmaking level where everyone just plays one of the four "good" characters and turtles until they can do their one bullshit unblockable combo over and over. Not sure I can think of a game that's so much fun at the lower and middle skill levels, then becomes complete garbage at the high level. I'm playing Shugoki because I think he's fun, but that also seems to entail losing every match since even his light attacks come out too slow to hit and you essentially can't get damage in at all unless they mess up.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
This is why don't play 1v1 anymore, in 2v2 and 4v4 turtling means that you must rely on your teammates to win their individual matchups. Also, if you are up against a turtle you can just ignore him and try to go gank someone else.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

lol complaining about "turtles." get good.

for some reason after i got geared out i started enjoying dominion way more, i don't know why. oh well

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I got 1-shot by a 108 Revenged Shugoki last night. Gear in this game is beyond obscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

cams posted:

lol complaining about "turtles." get good.

Shugoki options against someone who's turtling:

Light attack -> blocked
Heavy attack -> blocked/parried
Unblockable heavy -> parried
Guard break -> teched
Charge of the Oni -> Sidestepped
Demon's Embrace -> Sidestepped and now you're probably dead

He seems uniquely unable to deal with it, every single attack he has is too slow to hit. Even bad characters Lawbringer at least have Shove and Long Arm so you can pressure them and try to make them slip up. If you're Shugoki and going up against someone who refuses to attack you, you might as well leave the match since you have zero effective options to try and open them up. Best you can hope for is to feint over and over and maybe get in a light attack from it.