Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Tezcatlipoca posted:

When do you start derailing trains and setting fire to hotels to find your opposite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mods please change Captain Log to Mr. Glass or Elijah Price

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
The pants were trying to warn him

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Well I'm full of painkillers and home.

Hospital said it looked wretched, but they couldn't find any breaks. Said with the level of swelling I have it will be three or four days before doctors could tell how hosed I am, or aren't. Also, the pain is loving ungodly. I have chronic pancreatitis. This pain compares.

I'm going to go smoke all the weed now. I appreciate the forums well wishes, genuinely. I'm a single guy in his thirties, knowing some people at least get a laugh out of it makes me happy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I literally have grapple pants stuck on my body. Send the forum's help, please.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'm so sorry but this made me laugh out loud.

I hope you feel better soon. And also figure out a way to take off your pants. :sadwave:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
My forum warriors are on it ossssssssss

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Captain Log posted:

Did you manage to fix the gi pants and then take them off and switch to jeans in a broken ankle for fashion? Because that sounds very painful and unnecessary. Or were you warming up in jeans? Or did you end up attempting class tight bottoms and gi top only? This is important.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I once spent 6 hours or so in football pants because they were too tight and my knee was all messed up.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Captain Log posted:

Well I'm full of painkillers and home.

Hospital said it looked wretched, but they couldn't find any breaks. Said with the level of swelling I have it will be three or four days before doctors could tell how hosed I am, or aren't. Also, the pain is loving ungodly. I have chronic pancreatitis. This pain compares.

I'm going to go smoke all the weed now. I appreciate the forums well wishes, genuinely. I'm a single guy in his thirties, knowing some people at least get a laugh out of it makes me happy.

I rolled an ankle hooping and it swole like that. I was in a cast for a month. It was as bad as any break I've had.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
My grapple pants are still on my body. I was warming up in them with gi pants. When I hurt myself I just pulled the jeans over everything.

The doctor said they might help with managing swelling so I'm not too worried. It's apparently a sprain that's bad enough they can't really say what's up other than "no obvious breaks." I've done this three times before but it was when I was way younger. I agree about the statement about "sprains" being worse than breaks. My last ankle roll the doctor (over ten or fifteen years ago) thought I had RSD because I'm normally a bull with pain and I couldn't shower with it months later from the pain of water hitting it.

So, I'm fuming angry. But I love the forums good vibes and that I got a few laughs. I'll be back to myself once I have a bit to stew.

Funny side note : Even if you tell doctors you simply take classes, if you show up busted up in a rash guard everyone starts treating you like a fuckin' fighter. It was hysterical.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Captain Log posted:

My grapple pants are still on my body. I was warming up in them with gi pants. When I hurt myself I just pulled the jeans over everything.

If you simply never take the tights off you're bound to forget that they're there eventually, like Whitney Cummings on the JRE explaining the time she peed through a thong.

Thank you for satiating my curiosity and I wish you a speedy recovery

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
drat dude, that's seriously unlucky. I hope you get better soon and the drugs work super good so you aren't in pain, but not too good that you get addicted. If you are becoming a druggy I suggest maybe when you are rehabing ask the Dr for copius amount of pharmacy grade steroids and high to strengthen everything up and get swole.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Did you piss off an old witch lady when you were 6 or something? God drat man.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Sprecherscrow posted:

Did you piss off an old witch lady when you were 6 or something? God drat man.

I know this will be disappointing to some, but after 24 hours in them I managed to get off the neon green grapple pants. I'm bath posting. Life is good.

Did any of those BJJ slap fights get posted anywhere? I wouldn't know where to look.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

I know this will be disappointing to some, but after 24 hours in them I managed to get off the neon green grapple pants. I'm bath posting. Life is good.

Did any of those BJJ slap fights get posted anywhere? I wouldn't know where to look.

No idea about where you can find the new EBI besides fightpass but you can always watch the a new Rdojo instructional, it's pay what you want and all about the leglocks!!!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Fightpass added 5 volumes of old ADCC, I'm about to watch Renzo against some guy right now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Odddzy posted:

No idea about where you can find the new EBI besides fightpass but you can always watch the a new Rdojo instructional, it's pay what you want and all about the leglocks!!!

Oh wait, these are on fight pass? I've got that. I thought from the Chael cast EBIs were PPVs.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Captain Log posted:

Oh wait, these are on fight pass? I've got that. I thought from the Chael cast EBIs were PPVs.

They used to be, maybe Chael hasn't been keeping up. The UFC basically made Eddie Bravo some kind of deal to help him hold those events a lot more often, and to have EBI exclusively on fightpass

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rigel posted:

They used to be, maybe Chael hasn't been keeping up. The UFC basically made Eddie Bravo some kind of deal to help him hold those events a lot more often, and to have EBI exclusively on fightpass

gently caress me running.

Any must catch matches to go watch?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Any match involving Joe Soto. I think he was only in one tournament, but he went on a great run and made me excited for every UFC fight he has.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Captain Log posted:

So much good poo poo.
I'd start by going through the welterweight and under tournaments. My favorite guys to watch are Tonon, Geo, Eddie Cummings.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Captain Log posted:

Didn't you do this to yourself the other day?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Seltzer posted:

Didn't you do this to yourself the other day?

You win the forums for the day. :)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sprecherscrow posted:

Any match involving Joe Soto. I think he was only in one tournament, but he went on a great run and made me excited for every UFC fight he has.

As far as recommendations go the EBI Mexico event was really nice.

There were some rumors of a participant having greased during Joe Soto's run. All the matches he was in ended in overtime except versus Eddie Cummings at the end and he was wearing nothing besides tight shorts. Eddie Bravo passed a rule after that where everyone has to wear a top now because of the complaints. If I recall Joao Miyao even pointed to Sotos legs at some point during their match after a failed leg entanglement and complained about excess slipperiness.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've enjoyed each EBI that I've seen and there's something crazy in every one.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After action report -

:frogsiren:WHINGE ALERT:frogsiren:

White belt senior. IBJJF rules.
First match gi 0-2 loss
Second match gi 0-6 loss

In neither match did I feel threatened, but the young guys I was fighting wanted it more than me and got a few points over 5 minutes.

First match no-gi 0-2 loss

Second match no gi - I was down 0-2 against the guy who I lost to in my first gi match. And then my opportunity came up - I got him in lockdown and electric chaired him and passed to scarf. 4-2. With 20 seconds left the guy does this weird knee bar to me from behind using his legs and I scream because my knee is being hyper extended. The loving ref gives him the match as my scream to his division-illegal move counted as my submission. BONUS: The ref was my opponent's coach.

I think it's understandable that I'm preeettttty sour on bjj right now. I'm also limping.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CommonShore posted:

After action report -

First match gi 0-2 loss
Second match gi 0-6 loss

In neither match did I feel threatened, but the young guys I was fighting wanted it more than me and got a few points over 5 minutes.

Second match no gi - I was down 0-2 against the guy who I lost to in my first gi match. And then my opportunity came up - I got him in lockdown and electric chaired him and passed to scarf. 4-2. With 20 seconds left the guy does this weird knee bar to me from behind using his legs and I scream because my knee is being hyper extended. The loving ref gives him the match as my scream to his division-illegal move counted as my submission. BONUS: The ref was my opponent's coach.

I think it's understandable that I'm preeettttty sour on bjj right now. I'm also limping.

Jesus Christ, IBJFF let's dudes ref their own dudes? That's insane.

Silver lining - We are limp buddies! Err...LIMP LEG!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

CommonShore posted:

After action report -

First match gi 0-2 loss
Second match gi 0-6 loss

you should appeal or whatever the formal QQ process is. if for no other reason than youll feel better about it

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

you should appeal or whatever the formal QQ process is. if for no other reason than youll feel better about it

As far as I know, there is no process. I was the most senior person from my gym there because it was a last-minute thing. This was a poorly-organized poo poo show of a tournament - when they were an hour behind schedule, they stopped fights for "medal ceremonies;" guys were no-showing matches and they were just putting them back down into the queue, and the like. My teammate who went with me was kept waiting for a total of 10 minutes by one guy, and they wouldn't DQ him. One guy had to withdraw from a 2-man division because they ended up being 2h behind and he had to leave to catch a flight.

And it's not as if the tournament had a high turnout.

I'm going to explain to my instructor what happened, and if he wants to raise a stink he can. I just want to stop thinking about it because I hate being angry and sour about things.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
BJJ tournaments suck

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

manyak posted:

BJJ tournaments suck

Yeah.

Although my gym is going to be hosting an in-house tournament soon which sounds good since it cuts out almost all the bad things about them.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah in house tournaments are cool. Dropping in to other schools or going to open mats to roll with people you dont know is pretty cool. Paying $100 to go wait 8 hours for your 1 match which is refereed by your opponent's dad.. i dont like it

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

manyak posted:

Yeah in house tournaments are cool. Dropping in to other schools or going to open mats to roll with people you dont know is pretty cool. Paying $100 to go wait 8 hours for your 1 match which is refereed by your opponent's dad.. i dont like it

:yeah:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think I'm finished with them now, except if maybe they include Master's divisions.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I think I've basically decided that I'm only going to compete in IBJJF Pan-AM's, World's, Jiu Jitsu World League if it's local, and if by some stroke of luck I can get into a sub-only event then I might do that. Other than that, no thanks.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Are sub only events rare? there seems to be a few in the tri-state area.

Captain Log posted:

You win the forums for the day. :)

lol yeah, sorry dude. You walked into that one, or rather, ran into it.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We don't have a ton in Vegas that I've seen

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

I think I've basically decided that I'm only going to compete in IBJJF Pan-AM's, World's, Jiu Jitsu World League if it's local, and if by some stroke of luck I can get into a sub-only event then I might do that. Other than that, no thanks.

If I recall you are a big dude. Where does openweight kick in and does it suck all the balls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Ultra Heavy is 222+ thankfully I wouldn't have to compete at that. But I can imagine it would suck if you're on the lower end of the weight and skill spectrum at that level.