Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mierenneuker posted:

The Saint + Master of Disguise probably makes for a delightful double bill.

Edit: The Saint + The Jackal if you are not feeling all that adventurous.

Master of disguise wtf plz do not insult the saint. The jackal I'll accept if only to highlight it's lack of pleasure and charm that the Saint brings in spades.

Better pairings would be GoldenEye, Long Kiss Goodnight, Patriot Games, and Ronin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Gatts posted:

Here's hoping for a comedy bit where someone accidentally throws a growth serum on Kong.

Or someone uses a shrinking potion and it turns into King Kong vs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gatts posted:

Beyond my wildest imagination

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25RK5GbJIc

Beyond good, beyond evil, beyond your wildest imagination!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think with modern CGI you could more easily have Kong be notably smaller than Godzilla and have to leap around and be very cagey and cunning. Suitmation works best when the monsters all fit a set scale, but this is basically animation so you could do some cool stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's really weird how Kong ends with a thing introducing the characters to the wider world of monsters when, unless any sequels are also period pieces, they aren't going to involve those actors. Also the credits kind of spoil the end reveal because they name all the monsters when they say they're property of Toho.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
King Kong is like Tarzan or Robin Hood, there's literally no reason for it to be relevant in 2017. Nothing interesting about it

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

muscles like this! posted:

It's really weird how Kong ends with a thing introducing the characters to the wider world of monsters when, unless any sequels are also period pieces, they aren't going to involve those actors. Also the credits kind of spoil the end reveal because they name all the monsters when they say they're property of Toho.

Much like the Flash dream sequence and Lex's meta-human files in Batman v Superman, I think Skull Island (d.p. Larry Fong) uses advertisement effectively as cynical commentary. The point is that now, instead of the Skullcrawlers, mankind is going to awaken Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. Monarch are attempting to take back control of the narrative so that Kong will be a adversary of these more 'foreign,' less anthropomorphic lizards and bug monsters. The thing is, we were even given a scene in the film explicitly mapping out the potential of a Rodan movie. Turns out, we could get an R-rated Rodan remake out of the deal.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25RK5GbJIc

Beyond good, beyond evil, beyond your wildest imagination!

I prefer a world beyond your experience, beyond your imagination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUlXEyvJeA

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rough Lobster posted:

This is one of those weird movies that I honestly loving love and I'm only half sure why. Val Kilmer's great in it and I like the female lead's uninhibited idealism.

Maybe you like it for the ending where they give away unlimited energy to the whole world, you communist piece of poo poo!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

HannibalBarca posted:

John C. Reilly said Kong was "still growing" because he knows this for some reason. Kong will be tall enough to "fight" Godzilla when the time comes though god knows we're gonna end in some dumb Batman v. Superman team-up situation by the end of the film. Of course, that was basically the entire back half of the first Godzilla series, but Legendary will try to play it too straight and it will just be awkward.

Godzilla and Kong teaming up to take down Mechagodzilla sounds good to me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mustached5thGrader posted:

King Kong is like Tarzan or Robin Hood, there's literally no reason for it to be relevant in 2017. Nothing interesting about it
Shut up, Legend of Tarzan was great.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If Colossus and Wolverine can do the Fastball Special then Godzilla and Kong can do something similar. Tee up the big ape and hit him with that big tail to launch him at the enemy.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Robin Hood gets more relevant as wealth disparity gets bigger and bigger. Kong has plenty of racism elements that totally can be relevant today with good writing, and monsters themselves can stand in for all sorts of things in society that can be as current as it wants to be. And as mentioned, the new Tarzan flick also did a great job.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

You haven't got much of an imagination, huh?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

What part of "giant ape" is uninteresting to you?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kong only got more relevant as people began to care more for animals, habitats, the environment, and maybe even indigenous cultures. Or you can tell a story about the arrogance of Man controlling Nature like Jurassic Park.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What part of "giant ape" is uninteresting to you?

If you have to make an animal big to make it interesting, there's nothing there. Writing a story on a normal sized animal takes real work/talent

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

If you have to make an animal big to make it interesting, there's nothing there. Writing a story on a normal sized animal takes real work/talent

Faulkner wrote on the walls of his bedroom, but what if that bedroom were a small dog?? Not so smart now you gothic fucker

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Apes of all sizes are cool, hence why the Planet of the Apes movies also rule.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

They don't have to. There are plenty of fine films about regular sized apes. However, your assertion is that you can't make a giant ape interesting, which is wrong and stupid.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

I didn't remember anything but the theme by Orbital but checking the rest was of the songs I certainly approve. It even has some Dreadzone from back when their ambient dubs were harder than the beats.

Superior's "Polaroid Millennium" is still my favorite closing track and it's expertly timed to end the closing credits, even though it cuts half the song.I think if I ever composed my own death, it would be with that song.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I prefer a world beyond your experience, beyond your imagination: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzUlXEyvJeA

:agreed: but I was going for the exact quote.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well, he had been watching Kong for the past thirty years, so he might have noticed him getting bigger.

I'm an engineer and I have to keep resisting the urge to scream 'Square-Cube Law' at the top of my lungs everytime I see a giant whatever movie...I still love them though.

He's the same size in the beginning when you see John C Reilly land on the island that he is throughout the movie.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

parallelodad posted:

Godzilla and Kong teaming up to take down Mechagodzilla sounds good to me.

They'll be taking on Ghidora one head a piece and then, gasp, what's that? Mothra descends from the heavens and tears off the third head and flies away.

Anyway, was Life just doing super bad in terms of interest or something? Because every trailer so far had been focused mostly on suspense and stuff. But then today when going to see Kong there was a new trailer for it that makes it look way more like a lovely action movie than a suspenseful horror film like it had seemed. The trailer also does the whole thing where it starts off with really up beat and energetic music while everyone's happy, then stops to dead silence and then everything gets really loud and everyone's screaming or exploding thing a lot of lovely trailers have been doing lately. At least it didn't fill that second half with a spooky version of an kid's song!

Also the trailer for the new alien movie looks like butt. :shrug:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

muscles like this! posted:

Time travel, yo!

Could also increase Kong's size because why not. Otherwise their fight would be like me fighting a T-Rex. I'm pretty nimble and fairly strong and have opposable thumbs but the T-Rex is a T-Rex.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

Maybe you like it for the ending where they give away unlimited energy to the whole world, you communist piece of poo poo!

Keanu did that in a movie too. What a swell guy.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Guys you aren't thinking right abiut this King Kong vs Godzillia fight. What if King Kong had a gun

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Keanu did that in a movie too. What a swell guy.

Holy poo poo, have I found someone else who remembers the movie 'Chain Reaction'?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Guys you aren't thinking right abiut this King Kong vs Godzillia fight. What if King Kong had a gun

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Kong's got a brain the size of a tool shed. He'll go to college and invent the oxygen destroyer.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kong has a gun. In retaliation, Godzilla also gets a gun. Then they will realize the true enemy is the gun industry, and they will team up to destroy it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Godzilla had the baffling choice to close with a new song by Rage Against the Machine, "No Shelter", an anthem about how movies and entertainment rewrite history and distract you from the true horrors of the evil empire

quote:

And Godzilla, pure muthafuckin FILLER
To keep ya eyes off the real killer...
Cinema, simulated life, ill drama
Fourth Reich culture, Americana
Chained to the dream they got ya searchin' for
Tha thin line between entertainment and war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEoesmnYU4

A lot of people point to No Shelter as the moment RATM sold out but it's one of my favorites from them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Snowman_McK posted:

Holy poo poo, have I found someone else who remembers the movie 'Chain Reaction'?

I remember thinking Keanu was pretty fat in that film compared to everything else he's done. Like he was playing a fat nerd and put on pounds to reflect that.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

I've seen it like a dozen times over the years, most recently just last month, caught it on Encore or somethin. Yes it's not a great movie but that cast still carries it enough.

Keanu also did a similar thing in Johnny Mneumonic, releasing the cure for free.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm sure Kong will be relevant if only for the Harambe memes that are sure to follow.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

got any sevens posted:

I've seen it like a dozen times over the years, most recently just last month, caught it on Encore or somethin. Yes it's not a great movie but that cast still carries it enough.

Keanu also did a similar thing in Johnny Mneumonic, releasing the cure for free.

The dude has played Jesus a whole bunch

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ammanas posted:

The dude has played Jesus a whole bunch

He's also played the Buddha.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

The only reason I remember it is because a couple of scenes were shot here in Madison, WI.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

quote:

Chain Reaction

I only remember the pretty cool explosion about halfway through. It was in the trailer and I was very disappointed as a kid to find out that it's the only explosion in the movie.

Skwirl posted:

He's also played the Buddha.

Also he once gave Satan the finger.

Man, Keanu's had a weird career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowman_McK posted:

Also he once gave Satan the finger.

Man, Keanu's had a weird career.

He also frenched Satan's daughter on another occasion.

• Locked thread