Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
elite tank game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

On that note, how far away are the top three in the Metro from clinching? All three are north of 90 points and it has to be in the next couple weeks, right?

Theoretically both New York teams can still make a serious challenge for that 3rd seed. And theoretically the top 3 metro teams are in real danger of being the team that gets punted.

I'd say Pittsburgh and Washington should probably clinch sometime this week with Columbus being about a week after that. I'm assuming a two things:
1) The Rags lose a few games in Henrik's absence.
2) All three teams don't go on late season slumps.

Right now the Isles are ~9 wins behind with 15 games left. That's not insurmountable yet, just absurdly (Habs 2015-2016 levels of absurd) unlikely.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 12, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Koopa Kid posted:

Matthews is going through probably his worst stretch of the year and I'm worried he's finally hit the wall instead of this just being a typical slump.

Luckily cool heads are prevailing right now, but if the Leafs miss I shudder to think of the takes. It's to be expected though, he's never played a schedule even close to this before.

It's five games without a point now, right? Yeah, it would be understandable if he was gassed now especially since he didn't even play the full Swiss season last year.

It's hard to think about it this way at this stage of the race, but the playoffs really are a luxury this year. The focus should already be on figuring out where to improve for next year. And, to that end, hopefully this stretch is making a couple things clear: Whatever role they want Polak and Hunwick to fill, they need much better players for it; and even if all the kids improve they probably have to upgrade on either Komarov or Hyman.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

It's five games without a point now, right? Yeah, it would be understandable if he was gassed now especially since he didn't even play the full Swiss season last year.

It's hard to think about it this way at this stage of the race, but the playoffs really are a luxury this year. The focus should already be on figuring out where to improve for next year. And, to that end, hopefully this stretch is making a couple things clear: Whatever role they want Polak and Hunwick to fill, they need much better players for it; and even if all the kids improve they probably have to upgrade on either Komarov or Hyman.

I can see Komarov being replaced before Hyman simply because of Babcock.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Kucherov is better than the pens

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Smaller pants?
Smaller pads?
Smaller blocker and glove?
Smaller chest protector?
Smaller jersey?
Smaller masks?
Smaller skates?
Smaller sticks?
Bigger nets?
Smaller pucks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about this: eliminate goalies entirely. But the twist is you make the goal a circle of metal and suspend it ten feet over the ice surface. Put a hole in the net so the puck falls out and you won't even have to stop play!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Stretch Marx posted:

I can see Komarov being replaced before Hyman simply because of Babcock.

Komarov's gone after next season either way, as loved as he is he's going to age out of the group soon and there's going to be guys pushing for spots.

Hyman just needs to get bumped down the roster, scoring 30 fewer points than the centre he's literally never been separated from is comical. He's the Carlyle-era Jay McClement of that line.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't understand what's going on with Ottawa.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Jamwad Hilder posted:

A six-game win streak, four over the powerhouse teams of Dallas, Arizona, and Colorado

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

corn on the cop posted:

A six-game win streak, four over the powerhouse teams of Dallas, Arizona, and Colorado

I meant more, like, their entire season

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I meant more, like, their entire season

The goal differential of +9 is a banger

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Ekblad concussed. Poor guy. I didn't see a great angle but hit didn't even look that bad to me? Hope he can recover and stay healthy

This is just a great finish to a great season. I really hope he ends up alright. He didn't look as consistent this year without Campbell but stuff like that goal versus the Flyers proves how good he can be. Just hope he stays healthy enough to get there.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Hyman just needs to get bumped down the roster, scoring 30 fewer points than the centre he's literally never been separated from is comical. He's the Carlyle-era Jay McClement of that line.

It's not quite as bad, since Babcock does this thing where he splits up a sort of 'third line' across the top three lines. In the case of the Leafs, their 'checking line' is Komarov-Bozak-Hyman, spread over three lines.

Relatedly, next year is Bozak's last on his contract. I hope they explore trading him in the offseason, but weirdly I think the Leafs are at the point where they can consider keeping him. The Leafs can probably think about making a semi-serious run next year, and having Bozak as a third centre is helpful, even if he's still mysteriously thought of as a defensive stopper instead of an offence-only centre who needs to be sheltered.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Koopa Kid posted:

Komarov's gone after next season either way, as loved as he is he's going to age out of the group soon and there's going to be guys pushing for spots.

I think Hyman does a good job when you consider his role is entirely to just battle it out on the boards and pass it to Matthews.

Having said that this team needs to bring in some new defenders next year; I don't think I can handle another season of the Polak/Hunwick experience.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
It's that time of the year again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2704OHdFVew

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

elite tank game

one year too late

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

T-Bone posted:

one year too late

if it nets them a top-2 pick im okay with it

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

corn on the cop posted:

elite tank game

Wow, look at how bad New Jersey's become thanks to that locker room cancer Taylor Hall!

Miss you Tay Tay :(

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

if it nets them a top-2 pick im okay with it

Somewhere in the top 5 probably gets us Tippett. I'd be OK with him, Hischier, or Patrick.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

corn on the cop posted:

elite tank game

What did New Jersey do to Gingerbricks?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Arabian Jesus posted:

I think Hyman does a good job when you consider his role is entirely to just battle it out on the boards and pass it to Matthews.

If he were really doing that, I'd think he would get more assists. Like, I get that he's theoretically there to handle the defensive load, but I think that the Leafs can fill that role with a player who does the same stuff but better.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Having said that this team needs to bring in some new defenders next year; I don't think I can handle another season of the Polak/Hunwick experience.

That's the narrative but the reality again is that he has 30 fewer points than Matthews, he's not some masterful set-up guy. He tracks down pucks really well, but he struggles to do anything useful with it once he's got it.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Like, if a guy's role is to be stapled to the hip of his team's best player, one of the most exciting young players in the league, and maybe not even crack 30 points in a season that role probably shouldn't exist.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

If he were really doing that, I'd think he would get more assists. Like, I get that he's theoretically there to handle the defensive load, but I think that the Leafs can fill that role with a player who does the same stuff but better.

Personally this is what I think the forward lines should be this:

Brown - Matthews - Nylander

JVR - Kadri - Marner

Komarov - Bozak - Soshnikov

Martin - Boyle - Hyman

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

elite tank game

You boys gotta lose some games to get us a draft pick, but only lose by one.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Duke Chin posted:

Hi again everybody.

You are just the worst :barf:

Also gently caress the pens and the kings in that order forever and ever amen.
:reject::respek::v:

Oh and also gently caress the habs just on principal

In other news: heading up to Vancouver again tomorrow to see the Nucks/B's game on Monday. Never been in Rogers place: There anything cool/weird/different in there or some good arena food I should know about?

I will be at the same game although in a box from a supplier

The sushi is pretty good but can't remember where to get it on the main level

Koopa Kid posted:

Gardiner got the assist while on the bench too, Willie really likes to drag the puck around.

Matthews is going through probably his worst stretch of the year and I'm worried he's finally hit the wall instead of this just being a typical slump.

Luckily cool heads are prevailing right now, but if the Leafs miss I shudder to think of the takes. It's to be expected though, he's never played a schedule even close to this before.

This was almost word for word the wailing and gnashing of teeth that occurred when he slumped at the start of the season. That went on for over 10 games btw. He'll be fine.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Already knew what this was going to be before clicking on it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm glad the hawks made up for losing to Detroit. Aka get out shot and win anyways

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

*yawn*

*stretch*

Hi guys what have I missed?

These comments confused the gently caress out of me and I'm still confused.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Stretch Marx posted:

JVR - Kadri - Marner

Martin - Boyle - Hyman

I'm on board with this although I don't mind Sosh adding a bit of offense to the 4th line

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

JVR - Kadri - Marner

Martin - Boyle - Hyman

A couple thoughts:

Bozak and JVR together is good inasmuch as both are trash defensively and would do best where they could be very sheltered. Kadri's also doing incredibly well right now while handling the toughs, and while I'm not against putting Marner with him, putting him with JVR would be at cross-purposes.

I like Soshnikov on the fourth line, inasmuch as it's a way to give the fourth line just enough offence that opposing teams cannot take them for granted. A Martin-Boyle-Hyman line could get a five minute powerplay and not score.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Hand Knit posted:

A couple thoughts:

Bozak and JVR together is good inasmuch as both are trash defensively and would do best where they could be very sheltered. Kadri's also doing incredibly well right now while handling the toughs, and while I'm not against putting Marner with him, putting him with JVR would be at cross-purposes.

I like Soshnikov on the fourth line, inasmuch as it's a way to give the fourth line just enough offence that opposing teams cannot take them for granted. A Martin-Boyle-Hyman line could get a five minute powerplay and not score.

But Soshnikov isn't really able to generate any offence on that line because he's constantly pulling boat anchors up the ice with him. He drives position like a mofo but he's always alone when he needs someone to pass to or be open for. I think Komarov could be just enough to get some scoring out of him. Bozak is on that line because they need a centre. I'd hope we could find someone before that becomes an issue.

Also I don't see the point in putting two forwards who can't play defense on a line together. This way you're mitigating their lovely defensive play by pairing them with players who can play defensively and offensively. I think last year demonstrated that Kadri and JVR together can do some fun things and clearly Marner is able to contribute and play defensively with all his stolen pucks, which Kadri is also good at.

Which leaves the last line which is clearly a "rope a dope" line. They're good at the pk and have shown they can tie up guys fairly well. They don't have to score goals, they just need to give the people with actual talent time to rest.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

A couple thoughts:

I'd put Willie with the JVR-Bozak pairing. Since Nylander's future is still at C, he's going to be split from Auston/Naz soon anyways so he can go run the sheltered O line since that's where he's going to wind up anyways.

Also that lets you try Mitch with the other two and experiment with where he goes when Bozak disappears while the stakes are still low.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Shattenkirk gets two games for his hit to the head of Kings Defenseman Kevin Gravel. This is the first suspension of his career and the first suspension of the season for a Capitals player.

https://www.nhl.com/video/shattenkirk-suspended-two-games/t-277440360/c-50279403

Kind of quick to make this ruling, don't these things take a day or two? I won't disagree with it though, it was a lovely hit.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 12, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Cartoon Man posted:

Shattenkirk gets two games for his hit to the head of Kings Defenseman Kevin Gravel. This is the first suspension of his career and the first suspension of the season for a Capitals player.

https://www.nhl.com/video/shattenkirk-suspended-two-games/t-277440360/c-50279403

Kind of quick to make this ruling, don't these things take a day or two? I won't disagree with it though, it was a lovely hit.

Washington is playing tonight so a ruling had to be made today.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The System is happening

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I will be at the same game although in a box from a supplier

The sushi is pretty good but can't remember where to get it on the main level

Oh I see how it is bougie elitest referee. :colbert:

:v:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Duke Chin posted:

Oh I see how it is bougie elitest referee. :colbert:

:v:

:canada:

It was definitely not my refereeing ability that got me into the box seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How do you guys feel about this draft class?

• Locked thread