Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Poil posted:

That's pretty scummy. But it's not hard to make a list of channels who have received keys and spend a few minutes to see if they actually uploaded any videos a while later and if they didn't they get blacklisted.

quote:

These cases have raised some moral question in me about whether it is acceptable to deactivate a review key. If a channel writes in and asks to cover our game, and even 6 months later they haven't shown the game at all, do they deserve to keep their free copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Poil posted:

That's pretty scummy. But it's not hard to make a list of channels who have received keys and spend a few minutes to see if they actually uploaded any videos a while later and if they didn't they get blacklisted.

Do we really want them chasing around assholes on Twitch/YouTube? They need to be working on getting 15 out and people need not to be scummy.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I don't see why. The key was meant for a review and the review didn't happen so it's kinda like not getting paid. But I'm glad it's not my call. :shrug:

Lorini posted:

Do we really want them chasing around assholes on Twitch/YouTube? They need to be working on getting 15 out and people need not to be scummy.
They don't necessarily need to chase them down or anything (although it would be nice). Just make a note that those assholes won't be getting anything again ever.

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 11, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lorini posted:

No idea if it'd negatively affect their business, but posting said channels on the website to let people know which channels are scumbags would be appreciated. I'd then go out of my way to never subscribe or watch that channel's videos.

Absolute scum of a tactic. The audacity required to ask for keys knowing you'll never cover it and just sell them is frankly quite disgusting.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Why would a Twitch channel possibly need multiple keys? One key, you're done. If you want 2 or more you're clearly scamming.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Gadzuko posted:

Why would a Twitch channel possibly need multiple keys? One key, you're done. If you want 2 or more you're clearly scamming.

The game's pretty fun in multiplayer?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

The game's pretty fun in multiplayer?

Fair enough, I guess. If it was my game, my response would be "advertise to your followers so they buy the game and join in for multiplayer". I'm glad that they are at least cracking down on the obvious abusers.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gadzuko posted:

Lots of Twitch shows feature two or more people for co-op and competitive games; many still have co-commentators even on single player games. A request for 2-4 press keys seems quite reasonable when there may be multiple people working the channel or a small set of intertwined channels.

The reason is to support that format, they're not meant to give out keys to random viewers solely to show off multiplayer.

Dervyn
Feb 16, 2014

SinineSiil posted:

So you read their forums but not Friday Facts? Weird..

Actually the other way around. Got the game in December and while their FF are great, I'm not about going to dive far back into the archives.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Thanks for all the advice/layout on trains. I played around with it a bit and I think it's starting to click. The signalling seems relatively straightforward to me.. Though now I'm wanting to make a base that focuses almost exclusively on trains.

Ratzap posted:

You haven't specified but you are using red or blue belts right? How many furnace blocks do you have feeding into how many belts of bus?

A block of 48 steel furnaces for every red belt on my bus, so 4 blocks for iron, 2 for copper. It's starting to back up now thankfully. I don't know why it was getting so starved before making circuits, since that seems fine now. Maybe I was also having power issues.

Now I'm starved on plastic for red circuits. Such is Factorio.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tyty posted:

Thanks for all the advice/layout on trains. I played around with it a bit and I think it's starting to click. The signalling seems relatively straightforward to me.. Though now I'm wanting to make a base that focuses almost exclusively on trains.
Try the Platforms mod. It gives you patches of stone ground that you can build on, and on anything else you can only build belts, pipes, train tracks, inserters, miners and a couple of other things. It's pretty challenging.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tyty posted:

A block of 48 steel furnaces for every red belt on my bus, so 4 blocks for iron, 2 for copper. It's starting to back up now thankfully. I don't know why it was getting so starved before making circuits, since that seems fine now. Maybe I was also having power issues.

Now I'm starved on plastic for red circuits. Such is Factorio.

Keep in mind that a full belt of green circuits consumes a full belt of iron and 1.5 belts of copper. I imagine your metal woes might reappear once you get your plastic situation fixed...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Counter point, if you keep track of production control measures you can launch a rocket while making some fun toys with a red belt of iron and a red belt of copper.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Is the rocket launch still a pure RP thing or can you aim it at bug nests yet?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Wasn't there an intent for rockets to lead to you expanding into space by constructing facilities in orbit?

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Slashrat posted:

Wasn't there an intent for rockets to lead to you expanding into space by constructing facilities in orbit?

Yes, but that direction has been abandoned. It might be revisited in the future but for now it's not going to happen.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Is a nuclear warhead too much to ask?

Is the optimal bug fighting strategy still to Benny Hill your way around nests with the automatic shotgun or do we have some heavier artillery yet?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Flamethrower utterly demolishes nests.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
FIRE. :getin:

Shotguns can't quite cut through the bugs once they reach large and behemoth status. They get relegated to base bursting at that point if you aren't packing a lot of napalm.

Next step up is loads of mk 3 military drones.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Used to be Destroyer capsules. I think still technically is just because of the amount of firepower they can bring to bear at once with the right research and a bottomless belt of materials. Destroyer swarms are cool enough you should still try it once, but the efficiency of flamethrowers is pretty sick for most occasions.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So I'm new and I keep running into an issue where I'm staring at my stuff and I realize everything is built way too cramped and I get the itch to start over, but is there some relatively painless way to just pack up all your poo poo into boxes and rebuild it from zero into a better array?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Easiest way is to avoid getting it cramped at all costs at the beginning :v:. But if you have construction bots you can use the red blueprint and tell them to dismantle everything.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Poil posted:

Easiest way is to avoid getting it cramped at all costs at the beginning :v:. But if you have construction bots you can use the red blueprint and tell them to dismantle everything.

Yes, hence the itch to restart. But on the other hand, building up all that industry from scratch takes a lot of time too, when I can just put those refineries and smelters into magic boxes.

I'm only up to figuring out how to make plastic so I don't have construction bots yet. :v:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Just pick a new starting point and start building. Use your current base to bootstrap construction of the new one.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Just pick a new starting point and start building. Use your current base to bootstrap construction of the new one.

Yeah, I was just going to say move the HQ. I kind of wish (not really?) that unused pieces would rust or decay, because most of my maps would turn into really neat looking abandoned bases over time.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Last time I played some year or two ago all weapons in the game were useless end game except the automatic shotgun with armor piercing ammo.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That is no longer the case. Flamethrower got an overhaul and is now spectacularly OP. The shotgun is unchanged, it's just outclassed now.

e: Also, flamethrower turrets.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, the flamethrower now leaves burning oil on the ground, damaging everything that moves through it, and also leaves burning oil on everything the spray hits directly, doing persistent damage even once you've stopped firing. As far as I know burning biters don't go out until they're dead; there might be a timer but nothing I've used it on has lived long enough.

I can stroll in with nothing but my flamethrower and some armour, and demolish even the largest nests.

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

I'm slowly working my way through Steejo' Bob's Mods playthrough, is there a speed run of Bobs Mods around?

Steejo is as much as a build memorisation veteran as you can expect but, is there an AntiElitz-like speed run equiv of Bobs Mods on youtube?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I haven't played this game a lot but in my experience worms just dunks on you even when you use the flamethrower. I just have to use the tank because I can't get close. What am I doing wrong?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Upgrade your armor, and get some shields! Don't run up to their range naked, they do a bunch of damage. Toss some flames on them and walk out of their range. They'll burn to death fairly quickly.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

homercles posted:

I'm slowly working my way through Steejo' Bob's Mods playthrough,

Don't know about speed runs, but I'm almost finished my Bob Mods / SpaceX modded game. 90+ hours at this point (real play time probably around 70), just have to harvest another few dozen biter nests for the colored artifacts to finish my fusion core & another 150 or so prod. & eff. mk8 modules for the FTL drive.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Loren1350 posted:

Yes, but that direction has been abandoned. It might be revisited in the future but for now it's not going to happen.

:negative:

I was really looking forward to orbital construction, I thought it had just been deferred to a later version.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think the final word was that it was just overcomplicating the base game and therefore was beyond the scope of the original release.

Which I think is good; vanilla Factorio is pretty goddamn complicated as-is, and it's good that they decided that the end point is where it is to make it accessible enough to newbies. That leaves an opening for future mods or official expansions to have a new end-game after launch.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

I think the final word was that it was just overcomplicating the base game and therefore was beyond the scope of the original release.

Which I think is good; vanilla Factorio is pretty goddamn complicated as-is, and it's good that they decided that the end point is where it is to make it accessible enough to newbies. That leaves an opening for future mods or official expansions to have a new end-game after launch.

God, Factorio expansion where you can actually hop on your rocket and fly to other worlds / vast distances from your launch site to attack other Factorio players. poo poo would be awesome.

Or travelling to a world that has much better resources, but incredibly more difficult enemies. Or adding a base-building aspect to the game where you need to build O2 generators / drilling the surface of the planet to access frozen water, because the atmosphere of that planet is harsh to human life and your suit can only aid in survival for a certain number of minutes. That would be amazing.

It's easy to get carried away with ideas, though. Factorio is such an incredible base-game that they're open to all sorts of really fun expansion ideas.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I just want 3d multi level factorio so I can build gigantic factory hellscapes that belch fire.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So, until tonight I never hosed around with barreling up oil, since the patches were always close enough to just pipe it in, and no field seemed worth it.

Holy poo poo, does that move metric fucktons of oil. Granted, using assembly 3's with 4 speed2s (because who cares) and just... holy poo poo. I had to double my oil production just to keep up with what I was un-barreling, let alone my base wells still at 0.1/s.

I love this fuckin' game. Where's my spider bot? :(

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Torpor posted:

I just want 3d multi level factorio so I can build gigantic factory hellscapes that belch fire.

Gonna save you the trouble and recommend against Fortresscraft Evolved. It's similar in concept, but the whole thing is absurdly grognardy in the worst ways (enemies randomly spawn on conveyor belts below a certain depth, power can't be created outside of the surface, wiring doesn't exist, so you have to beam power down through incredibly inefficient laser beams, the game doesn't let you build a new smelter until around midway through the game and once built you can't move it until ~3/4 of the way through the game for no good reason, etc.).

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Torpor posted:

Never go full dwarf fortress. That's my advice to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Personally I'd love a factorio that's in 3d, but isn't a gigantic shitshow like modded minecraft.