Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Broken Record Talk posted:

One of the Tau guys in my 40k group keeps talking about making a 30k militia army of Tau, and just not using any ranged weapons or vehicles. I keep trying to push him over the edge to do it. I have thusfar failed, and this saddens me to no end.

If you beat his 30k tau and use rad/posphex he shouldn't be allowed to ever play them in 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I converted my first bit :toot:

I filed the trim off of a mk7 shoulder plate to make mk5 armor

It's a small step, but the first of many.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Immanentized posted:

gently caress it, I'm going full in on Heresy-era Smurfs.

Is there an army builder type of app or site I can use to pre-plan my purchases?
I'd like to sketch out my future pickups beyond BaC and BoP.

Not an army builder, but the 1d4Chan tactica article has a lot of useful info.

A couple of personal pointers:

-Out of your vanilla obligatory troops, basic Legion Tacticals are likely the most useful ones for Ultras. Ten to twenty dudes on bolters, relatively point-efficient, and Fury of the Legion can have these dudes put out a surprising amount of hurt. The ability to switch out their bolters for CCWs or purchase extra CCWs also makes them equal to Assault Marines in close combat, albeit without the extra special melee weapons and jump packs. There's a couple of different possible squad configurations; personally, I prefer 10-man Tac squads in Rhinos, though a 20-man blob makes for a wonderful 12" bubble of 'no, gently caress you' with FotL.

-Speaking of Rhinos, remember that 30K Rhinos can pick up an extra heavy weapon (h-bolter, h-flamer, multi-melta, havoc launcher) for 10-15p. This is a nice way of adding a little bit of extra oomph to your army if you go for mechanized infantry, an effectively adds a heavy weapon to your Tacticals. Rhinos also make for nice cheap 'spotter' units for Interlocking Tactics with the twin-linked bolter. Don't bother with Armored Ceramite, the armor on a Rhino is vulnerable enough to S8 even without the second die that 20p per box isn't really worth it. Save that for bigger, fatter tanks like sicarans and land raiders.

-Veteran Tacticals are solid if unexciting as Elites, bottled awesome as Troops - and quite a many Rites of War turn TacVets into troops, including the ever-popular Pride of the Legion. These guys make for a great troubleshooting (they see trouble, they shoot it) unit with the proper combination of Veteran Tactics and wargear - they can be kitted out to do drat near everything. Just don't fall into the trouble of making 400p tacvet squads with all the upgrades ever; pick one role, give them the kit they need for that one job, point them at the target and watch the fireworks.

- Consider picking up a Sicaran. The model is sexy as gently caress and pretty easy to assemble for a FW kit, it's extremely fluffy for Ultras (Rowboat Girlyman helped design it), and rules-wise it's an awesome unit; an AV13/12/12 Fast chassis with a bigass dual autocannon and the option for sponson weapons for extra firepower. Don't listen to anyone who complains that it's too expensive after its nerf; it was broken a 135p, at 165p stock it's still a very effective multipurpose unit, even in its stock configuration. The twin-linked, six-shot, accelerator autocannon mauls smaller tanks, has enough shots to threaten infantry, can glance bigger tanks to death with Rending, and is decently effective as emergency anti-air, too. Also normally I wouldn't advocate heavy bolters, but the 'autist Sicaran' with the one hull-mounted heavy bolter, a pintle-mounted heavy bolter, and heavy bolter sponsons can be hilarious just for the sheer amount of dakka you're throwing at your opponent (6 twin-linked accelerator autocannon shots, 12 heavy bolter shots). Being Fast, you can still move six inches and fire with everything in that list, too. The Sicaran Venator sounds like an awesome little tank hunter, while we're at it, but I haven't actually tried one. Yet.

- If you really want to (ab)use Interlocking Tactics, you should probably invast in 'spotter' units; cheap, low-cost, small untis you can spread into your army and use to 'tag' targets for your bigger, more important units. Rhinos, land speeders, anything cheap and decently accurate on its own. Note, however, that while the unit doing the tagging doesn't need to have Legioonares Astartes (UM), the unit benefiting from Interlocking Tactics does; you probably want to focus a lttle more than usual on infantry units like Tactical Support and Heavy Support squads, Seekers, Fulmentarus terminators and so on.

-Get ready to convert a lot of characters. There's a bazilion of cool Consuls to use, like Primus Medicae, Master of the Signal, Siege Breaker (who is evil when attached to a heavy support/Fulmentarus squad, by the way).. I recently did a head count and realized I have about thirty HQ models of various sorts, when you include Honor Guard and Command Squad models. I have something like six different Praetor/Delegatus models...

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

chutche2 posted:

I converted my first bit :toot:

I filed the trim off of a mk7 shoulder plate to make mk5 armor

It's a small step, but the first of many.

Nice!! Small conversions like that really add up and when they're spread throughout your army. Forum poster Stanyer89 did this with his Blood Angels and it gave them a ton of personality

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So speaking of sicarans.

I have 380 points spent on a 3x predator squadron, predator cannon and lascannon sponsons, command tank.

380 points is also the point cost of 2 sicaran venators with no upgrades. Should I spring for those? I've got 35 points leftover for wargear I was thinking of using to replace my contemptor's bolter with and adding more melee to my command squad, but I can get another few points elsewhere to give the sicarans ceramite or more weapons. Or I could get regular sicarans and have ~80 points left.

Since I decided not to field castellax with my iron hands, I've got a free heavy support slot now.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 12, 2017

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Last night I tried out a unit that looks really good on paper, but haven't seen anyone talk about using. I allied in militia and took a ten strong unit of mutant spawn. Also attached a librarian on a scimitar, but unfortunately didn't roll any synergistic powers.

They still managed to soak up an ungodly amount of firepower, destroyed a predator and a few firedrake terminators before finally getting wiped out.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

chutche2 posted:

So speaking of sicarans.

I have 380 points spent on a 3x predator squadron, predator cannon and lascannon sponsons, command tank.

380 points is also the point cost of 2 sicaran venators with no upgrades. Should I spring for those? I've got 35 points leftover for wargear I was thinking of using to replace my contemptor's bolter with and adding more melee to my command squad, but I can get another few points elsewhere to give the sicarans ceramite or more weapons. Or I could get regular sicarans and have ~80 points left.

Since I decided not to field castellax with my iron hands, I've got a free heavy support slot now.

Regular Sicarans can perform about the same role as lascannon predators, with more mobility - you have turreted autocannons and potential for lascannon sponsons, with the added bonus of being a Fast chassis so you can realistically expect ot get to actually use those sponsons. The difference is that predators only take up one slot for the whole squadron, while sicarans are a slot per tank.

Sicaran Venators, on the hand, are one of the few things in the big red book that can pop off a S10Ap1 Ordnance shot - two, actually, per tank - into decent range. There aren't many things in the game that a S10AP1 slap on the rear end won't make sit up and take notice, even without the shock pulse effect (which can shut down some very nasty things, up to and including a lot of superheavies) but you lose a lot on your flexibility and anti-horde capacity when compared to autocannons.

Ultimately, the biggest question is - which ones would you think you'd enjoy playing with, and which ones fit your army better?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I have a venator and I'm actually a little underwhelmed by it. It's a great insurance policy if you're playing a bigger game and are worried about going up against a superheavy/knight/titan or whatever, but a squadron of two laser vindicators is probably better at popping non-LoW tanks for about the same amount of points.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Yeah, the predator autocannons are an important part of my anti-horde. Them, my quad launcher battery, and my contemptor cortus with assault cannon and deredeo are the only things in the list tuned to long-ranged multiple shot firepower. Replacing them with 2 sicarans gives me the same number of autcannon shots (which are now rending and twin-linked) and 2 less lascannons, but better side and rear armor armor and speed. Adds two HBs as well.

I could go with one of each sicaran, keeping one of those nice autocannons but also giving me something bigger than lascannons and multimeltas to send at superheavies.

I'm going to get the predators first because I'm more likely to use them in 40k and realistically I'm going to find more 40k than 30k games, but the sicarans are on my list.

Edit: in order to get laser vindicators as shown below instead of that sicaran, I'd need to find a way to drop 55 points from my list, which isn't easy.

Current list:

Head of the Gorgon

Autek Mor with a cyber familiar
Cataphractii command squad, 3x power fists, standard bearer with a thunder hammer
Land raider phobos with extra armor and armored ceramite

5 man vet squad with combi plasmas, sgt in artificer armor, marksmen

Contemptor-cortus with assault cannon

3x quad launchers with shatter shells

2x 10-man rhino tac squads, sgt with combi plasma and artificer armor, MM on the rhinos

5 man tac support squad with plasma, sgt with artificer, MM rhino

Sicaran venator
Sicaran with las sponsons
Deredeo with missile launcher

Defensive line with comm relay

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 12, 2017

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I have a venator and I'm actually a little underwhelmed by it. It's a great insurance policy if you're playing a bigger game and are worried about going up against a superheavy/knight/titan or whatever, but a squadron of two laser vindicators is probably better at popping non-LoW tanks for about the same amount of points.

I was just about to say this. Three twin linked shots from the vindicator are usually better than the two shots from the venator. Those two shots seem to miss way more than they should.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
The imperial Morale Office has deemed it fit to distribute these materials to you, our loyal subjects

To kill night lords, aim for the center of mass as it is now unarmoured.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Frobbe posted:

The imperial Morale Office has deemed it fit to distribute these materials to you, our loyal subjects

To kill night lords, aim for the center of mass as it is now unarmoured.

That is not a sexy pose. That is a result of trying to wear the top half of power armor without having any sort of additional spinal support.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm the tit skull.

No no, the other tit skull.

Chaos Star stilletos are Blanche as gently caress.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What world do we live in that the 135pt sicaran was broken

Ghazk posted:

Last night I tried out a unit that looks really good on paper, but haven't seen anyone talk about using. I allied in militia and took a ten strong unit of mutant spawn. Also attached a librarian on a scimitar, but unfortunately didn't roll any synergistic powers.

They still managed to soak up an ungodly amount of firepower, destroyed a predator and a few firedrake terminators before finally getting wiped out.

That's a neat idea, but you can't attach ICs to militia allies unless you're sworn bros. Nice cult rabble in the second picture! Do you have more hot pix of those?

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 12, 2017

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

BULBASAUR posted:

What world do we live in that the 135pt sicaran was broken

That's a neat idea, but you can't attach ICs to militia allies unless you're sworn bros. Nice cult rabble in the second picture! Do you have more hot pix of those?

Alpha Legion and Milita have one of those dumb asymmetric ally relationship on the matrix. They're sworn brothers in one direction and fellow warriors in another. Of course it's not explained anywhere how this works specifically.

I'm interpreting it to mean sworn brothers when AL are doing things to militia (joining, applying warlord traits/psychic powers), but not the other way around. An AL squad wouldn't tolerate being joined/led by a militia commander. I'd love more clarity if that's not the way it works though!

Not a lot of good pics of militia yet, but here's one of a few weeks ago when I was running the sacrificial offering ROW. That part of my army is quickly expanding and should have more pics soon.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Sacrifical Offering is stupidly good. The entire allied and fortification detachment can clock in at like 200 points. I like to spring for the Cult Horde provenance though, so that I don't have a chance of breaking and running on the first turn.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Malcador :O

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Mal-Ca-Doooooooor. MAL-CA-DOOOOOOOR!

Can you snapshot ordnance templates? Tia.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The Malcador is such a sexy beast.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

Can you snapshot ordnance templates? Tia.

No you can't. Conversely; yes you can!

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Forge the ruleset!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Of course you can.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gonna ram something with a caestus and immediately shoot it with its magna-melta thanks to Power of the Machine Spirit. :pcgaming:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Can anyone recommended guides for Emperor's Children in metallic purple? I'm guessing just boltgun with purple washes, right?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Nope. Washes will eliminate the metallic effect. You need to airbrush those suckas.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Nope. Washes will eliminate the metallic effect. You need to airbrush those suckas.

Dull, not eliminate, this guy was done with four layers of wash and you can quite clearly still see the metallic effect.

Also Scale75 (and maybe vallejo?) do a purple metallic paint, if its the right hue it might mean you could get away with just one wash.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

moths posted:

Can anyone recommended guides for Emperor's Children in metallic purple? I'm guessing just boltgun with purple washes, right?

Forgeworld sells a clear purple that you could apply over layered silvers.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Broken Record Talk posted:

Forgeworld sells a clear purple that you could apply over layered silvers.

GW also has those artificer tint sets, you could try putting some purple into Stormhost Silver or one of those really light silvers and seeing how purple it gets.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

chutche2 posted:

Edit: in order to get laser vindicators as shown below instead of that sicaran, I'd need to find a way to drop 55 points from my list, which isn't easy.

Drop a quad launcher. 2 is more than enough, 3 is over kill. And don't listen to these bitter Iron Handiors players when they tell you to get 9 more instead.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

adamantium|wang posted:

Drop a quad launcher. 2 is more than enough, 3 is over kill. And don't listen to these bitter Iron Handiors players when they tell you to get 9 more instead.

Fair enough. That does slot in there then, 2x laser vindicators and 1x sicaran with lascannon sponsons.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

moths posted:

If you have access to an airbrush, Badger sells these Minitaire 'ghost tints' that are designed to, among other things, do a metallic color effect:

That's done with 'Plasma Fluid' Ghost Tint sprayed over a metallic base.

And that's their purple Ghost Tint over a gray base.

The way you're supposed to use it is pre-shading your mini, so in case of metallic Emperor's Children I'd go with a Boltgun/Leadbelcher base, wash them black or purple, drybrush them with Chainmail/Ironbreaker all over, and then hit the topmost surfaces with a second lighter drybrush of Mithril sIlver/Runefang Steel for the last highlights. Then just grab an airbrush and apply a thin layer of purple Ghost Tint. Let dry, pick out the details, varnish (Ghost Tint dries kinda glossy), done.

I ordered in the entirety of the Badger range some time back and just having access to this stuff makes me want to go for a sexy metallic candy army, like hot rod red Thousand Sons.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I just started working on a test model for a Good and Cool Legion this morning and I realized something.

I could just give up putting effort in now and start playing Iron Warriors. Is this what happened to the rest of you?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just started working on a test model for a Good and Cool Legion this morning and I realized something.

I could just give up putting effort in now and start playing Iron Warriors. Is this what happened to the rest of you?

shakyperturabo.gif

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looks like an iron hand to me

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Finished my test model for my Emperor's Children Scheme. I did the bolter black as a nod to the 40k colors, but I was considering doing it gold or maybe white. Not 100% sure. Definately going to do some pink armor on my inevitable 30 Combi-Plasma Vets.

One thing I am super impressed with is my new Foldio 2. Cartoonishly simple to use once I wanted a short YouTube video of a guy setting it up. The picture quality is out of this world for the effort put in, so if you are a person who has ever wanted to take pictures of your models I would definitely pick one up. Now to get good at painting so I have something to take pictures of!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
How should I base my iron hands?

I've mainly just done basing for fantasy games. Deserts and grasslands and poo poo. The only 40k basing I've done is snow bases for my guard regiment.

I don't really know what a 30k iron hands base should look like. Rubble and concrete?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
coarse sand on top and goblin green all around for that true oldschool flavor

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

How should I base my iron hands?

I've mainly just done basing for fantasy games. Deserts and grasslands and poo poo. The only 40k basing I've done is snow bases for my guard regiment.

I don't really know what a 30k iron hands base should look like. Rubble and concrete?

Do you want something to contrast or complement your Iron Hands? If you're trying for an oily, metallic look, urban basing may work out well. If you're painting them matte black, I think they'd blend in with darker basing too much. In that case, I'd go for something with some contrast. Red earth, standard brown dirt, grass, whatever, just something other than grey/black rubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Safety Factor posted:

Do you want something to contrast or complement your Iron Hands? If you're trying for an oily, metallic look, urban basing may work out well. If you're painting them matte black, I think they'd blend in with darker basing too much. In that case, I'd go for something with some contrast. Red earth, standard brown dirt, grass, whatever, just something other than grey/black rubble.

That works.

Thanks for giving me permission to use the regular GF9 basing and flock I've used for years in warmachine