Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaan
May 24, 2005

Even peasant cube is always a blast. My buddy survived a T4 artisan of kozilek without killing or hindering it in any way. The regen splicer followed by the +1/+1 cock blocked me. On the other hand I wrecked fools with Malevolent Awakening and Cloud of Faeries and Rav bounce lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Updated my janky list for azban scales.

Servant of the Scale is just a total upgrade in the deck and honestly I forgot the card existed. Being able to add counters on death to any creature is worth slightly harder to cast.

Rite of passage is something I forgot was in my updated deck and its a 1 of mainboard. It allows the infinite combo but not something you want sitting in your hand. It also comes out of the board in grindy matchups as a two of.

Ranger is out, I just don't want to be casting 4 cmc spells but saving mana for activations or holding up spells.

Added another varolz because he is the loving goat.

Inspiring call over performed but is something that can just be bad against a lot of decks. Tons of stuff I want to try at the 3 slot that I move in and out each fnm. Managorger Hydra , nissa, bow of nylia, and others.

Deck: Abzan Counters

//Lands
4 Blooming Marsh
1 Forest
1 Gavony Township
1 Godless Shrine
2 Marsh Flats
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Temple Garden
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Dromoka's Command
3 Fatal Push
4 Hardened Scales
2 Inspiring Call
1 Rite of Passage

//Creatures
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Narnam Renegade
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Servant of the Scale
2 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 Walking Ballista
4 Winding Constrictor

//Sideboard
2 Abrupt Decay
1 Fatal Push
3 Fulminator Mage
2 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Lost Legacy
1 Rite of Passage
2 Stony Silence
2 Surgical Extraction

Display deck statistics

Why do you like servant of the scale so much but not arcbound ravager? Still waiting on jumping in, but I'm curious about your dislike of ravager. Seems good to me if only for the flexibility with the other artifacts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lawnie posted:

Why do you like servant of the scale so much but not arcbound ravager? Still waiting on jumping in, but I'm curious about your dislike of ravager. Seems good to me if only for the flexibility with the other artifacts.

If I had to guess, it's to get a consistent counter-having 1-drop in a deck that really wants to use its 2-drops for the Constrictors, and that Servant will hand over its counters to anything while Ravager is just to artifact creatures.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Servant is a straight upgrade to Arcbound Worker, and Ravager seems like it's not enough payoff compared to the other 2-drops in the deck.

e: Sickenning what are your thoughts on Spike Feeder?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Everyone gave great advice for starting out again and explaining the rule changes; thanks so much. To clarify, I stopped playing seriously right after Lorwyn, and casually just as planeswalkers were first introduced, so I'm pretty familiar with the concept, although it seems like they're much more substantial and relevant to deck strategy now.

little munchkin posted:

What up, same situation for me. Paid $4.50 for force of wills back in the day, 14$ for some taigas. No idea what happened to them. Went to a draft on a whim 1.5 years ago, had a good time so I kept it up.
Look up local stores on facebook or whatever and show up for drafts. Bring some dice. Ask the workers and other players what the scene there is like, what other formats are popular, etc. Don't be afraid to shop around, different shops have very different cultures.
One of my best friends owns the largest comic shop chain store here in San Antonio, and runs all the magic tourneys in SA. Another great friend was a writer for Star City Games for many years and played competitively on the pro tour level. I haven't talked to either of them about magic for years, but at least I have some good people locally to turn to.

I guess I'll just need to see what formats people are playing around my local shops. I recall having EXT decks was a lot of fun, and playing STD kept you up to date with new releases and was fresh and interesting. I don't remember Modern or Commander existing, so they sound cool to look into.

There's so much more help online than there was in the way back. Just need to find the right places to dig in. There's so much info out there, it seems overwhelming. Going to be fun to catch up though.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
*Double post*

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

Hero's Downfall could be an uncommon without too much stretching as far as the dynamics of the game are concerned (economic greed is another matter). The only real game-logic justification for it being rare is that it interacts with planeswalkers, which I realize is a semi-official rule, but I don't think it justifies making it a rare if that in turn is an obstacle to reprinting it.

I don't think it'd be even really a problem in limited since the overwhelming majority of the time it's just going to be Murder, which is fine at uncommon.

e: missed Sickening's post, but yeah

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 12, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TheKingofSprings posted:

What is actually fun about Magic?

For me at least it's not the combat.

All jokes aside, spell interactions were always the fun part of MTG for me, although ramping into an efficient creature curve and then burning your opponent out by turn 5 is a close second.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

All jokes aside, spell interactions were always the fun part of MTG for me, although ramping into an efficient creature curve and then burning your opponent out by turn 5 is a close second.

I've seen this GIF a few times, but I don't know the context. Is there a video of it somewhere, or can someone explain it?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

ManMythLegend posted:

I've seen this GIF a few times, but I don't know the context. Is there a video of it somewhere, or can someone explain it?

It's a blind flip bonfire to win Worlds

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ManMythLegend posted:

It's a gif of Aaron Forsythe contemplating a change in careers.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sigma-X posted:

It's a blind flip bonfire to win Worlds

It wasn't even to win the whole thing, it was to knock the US out.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Subways Jared posted:

Everyone gave great advice for starting out again and explaining the rule changes; thanks so much. To clarify, I stopped playing seriously right after Lorwyn, and casually just as planeswalkers were first introduced, so I'm pretty familiar with the concept, although it seems like they're much more substantial and relevant to deck strategy now.

One of my best friends owns the largest comic shop chain store here in San Antonio, and runs all the magic tourneys in SA. Another great friend was a writer for Star City Games for many years and played competitively on the pro tour level. I haven't talked to either of them about magic for years, but at least I have some good people locally to turn to.

I guess I'll just need to see what formats people are playing around my local shops. I recall having EXT decks was a lot of fun, and playing STD kept you up to date with new releases and was fresh and interesting. I don't remember Modern or Commander existing, so they sound cool to look into.

There's so much more help online than there was in the way back. Just need to find the right places to dig in. There's so much info out there, it seems overwhelming. Going to be fun to catch up though.

If your friend owns Heroes and Fantasies skip their events and go to Dragons Lair or Gamers Pair-a-dice. But I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "runs all the tourneys."

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
GP Barcelona's Top 8 is literally 4 matches of Mardu vs 4-color Saheeli.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

Whatever they do with the B&R tomorrow regarding standard they look bad. Frequently ban poo poo? Awful and indicitve of major internal failures let it ride? Stagnant 3 deck format.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
They need to just stop trying to make artifact sets. That is a good start.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

ManMythLegend posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SDJTCYEg3Tc

Kibler was representing the USA at worlds, this was the deciding match, last game. USA was very behind but Kibler was making a comeback with Olivia Voldaren picking off Cheng's (his opponent) creatures. Olivia had been pumped up to a 9/9 and would have swung for lethal next turn. Cheng taps the top of his deck and miracles Bonfire of the Damned for lethal, effectively eliminating the USA team from the tournament

What makes it better is that Aaron Forsythe, director of R&D for MTG, is standing right behind Kibler watching it go down and gets to see how frustrating it is to play against cards with the Miracle mechanic

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 12, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Miracle is the worst mechanic ever made. AVR was a mistake.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

hmm, that was the same thing that happened at the mtgo championship thing

i thought this was supposed to be a 3 deck meta

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mandatory lesbian posted:

Mardu adapted to push out GB. Mostly a good transformational sideboard plan.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

mandatory lesbian posted:

I don't think anyone actually thinks GB is good. Excepy for Reid Duke because it's GB.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DangerDongs posted:

They need to just stop trying to make artifact sets. That is a good start.

SoM wasn't really that bad for Standard, if I recall correctly, aside from its equipment which were primarily only a problem because of the previous block's sins. I guess Birthing Pod with the full suite of value creatures in Standard during SoM's tenure was kind of dumb (lookin' at you, Thragtusk) but again that wasn't SoM's fault.

Of course, Phyrexian mana took a gigantic poo poo on eternal formats that Wizards is still slowly fixing, but we're talking about Standard here.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Yeah, the problem was Stoneforge Mystic, not the swords or Batterskull. And Birthing Pod was never really broken in Standard with a more limited suite of creatures to chain through than in Modern.

Most of the good artifacts were fairly costed enough to not be real problems. Somehow even Wurmcoil Engine aka The Sixth Titan never even came close to eating a ban. The worst thing that block did was Phyrexian Mana, which gave us Dismember and Mental Misstep.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
mental misstep wasn't great in standard but dismember killed everything but the titans so it just made them more ubiquitous

however we had bolt so therefore it's a good standard

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Abzan Company vs 5 color aggro match on screen for SCG Dallas

Apparently they let him set his life total at infinity. In theory, shouldn't they make him set it to a definitive number? I guess it ultimately doesn't matter unless the opponent can conceivably deal infinite damage, but still.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

His actual life is a finite number but displaying infinite is accurate enough for a broadcast screen.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

InterrupterJones posted:

Apparently they let him set his life total at infinity. In theory, shouldn't they make him set it to a definitive number? I guess it ultimately doesn't matter unless the opponent can conceivably deal infinite damage, but still.

The people doing the graphics probably don't know the number he chose so they went with the next best thing.

Also eleventybillion probably wouldn't fit on their overlay.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

InterrupterJones posted:

the difference between 1 million and infinity is arbitrary in magic

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
That's all fair enough. Looks like he won anyway, so w/e.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I challenge anyone to come up with a situation where the fact that someone's life total is only 90 billion and not infinite actually matters.

e: the proper thing to do in these situations is of course to set your life total at Graham's Number.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

I challenge anyone to come up with a situation where the fact that someone's life total is only 90 billion and not infinite actually matters.

Player A made 50 billion tokens that last further than just the end of turn.

Player B picked his life total at 500 billion, game is in turn 1 of extra turns.

:smuggo:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It matters if their opponent ends up getting an arbitrarily large amount of damage from some combo such as Splinter Twin. Actually Splinter Twin vs an on-board infinite life combo is a good example of why allowing "infinity" would be confusing. Under the current rules the Twin player has to name a number, and then after they declare attacks the Abzan player can name a higher number and thus always survive. If the Twin player could just say "make infinite Exarchs" it's unclear what happens when the Abzan player responds with "gain infinite life".

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
After the Barcelona top 8 there is no way Felidar isn't getting the axe after they said they would be watching the deck. Good riddance.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DangerDongs posted:

After the Barcelona top 8 there is no way Felidar isn't getting the axe after they said they would be watching the deck. Good riddance.

Yeah this is pretty absurd. Hopefully it'll take that cheating gently caress down before getting axed.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

ahh, clearly the solution to standard's woes is to turn it into a 1-deck format

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Serperoth posted:

Player A made 50 billion tokens that last further than just the end of turn.

Player B picked his life total at 500 billion, game is in turn 1 of extra turns.

:smuggo:

It's all just arbitrary depending on who chooses first though. In practice, someone gains "infinite life" i.e. sets their life total to an arbitrarily large number. Then someone makes "infinite tokens" to kill them, i.e. says "yeah, whatever number you picked, I'll make twice that many tokens".

It's not actually infinite, but getting hung up on whatever specific number someone picked is pretty pointless.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

little munchkin posted:

ahh, clearly the solution to standard's woes is to turn it into a 1-deck format

They can unban all three cards they banned and ban the Cat and get a better format. Hell, ban Gideon, Marvel and Cat and see what happens.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Entropic posted:

It's all just arbitrary depending on who chooses first though. In practice, someone gains "infinite life" i.e. sets their life total to an arbitrarily large number. Then someone makes "infinite tokens" to kill them, i.e. says "yeah, whatever number you picked, I'll make twice that many tokens".

It's not actually infinite, but getting hung up on whatever specific number someone picked is pretty pointless.

Oh yeah, I'm with you, "infinite" as shorthand for "arbitrarily large" is fine, I was just being a :smuggo: by pointing it out. There is the chance that someone will gently caress up ("Oh my opponent has 500 billion life? I make 100 million tokens then), but that's more of a theoretical thing than an actual realistic suggestion.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

They can unban all three cards they banned and ban the Cat and get a better format. Hell, ban Gideon, Marvel and Cat and see what happens.

People finally drop that lovely format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It matters if their opponent ends up getting an arbitrarily large amount of damage from some combo such as Splinter Twin. Actually Splinter Twin vs an on-board infinite life combo is a good example of why allowing "infinity" would be confusing. Under the current rules the Twin player has to name a number, and then after they declare attacks the Abzan player can name a higher number and thus always survive. If the Twin player could just say "make infinite Exarchs" it's unclear what happens when the Abzan player responds with "gain infinite life".

my secret tech is to respond with "i gain infinity plus 1 life"

• Locked thread