Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Midnight Voyager posted:

But they both annoy people, one just annoys people BARELY more.

Yes, exactly. We're saying if you do Observe the skies at all you will annoy people, and it probably isn't worth it.

I also stopped raiding people's laboratories after my marvellously talented apprentice son ended up imprisoned for life :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Has something happen with the adventurers in the new version? It seems they rarely, if ever, siege the province they are actually supposed to conquer.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce

It's a real thing, yo.

Main Paineframe,

Thanks! I hadn't considered that but it might be just what I need.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

So I'm trying to rule via generations of single women Master Seductresses, only legitimizing the heir I want to succeed me. It worked well at first, but suddenly, as my current Queen turns 40, I notice that I can't legitimize either of my two daughters. I also have a son, but unfortunately he was acknowledged by his dad and therefore stands to snatch everything away from my either superior daughter. Is the acknowledged son preventing legitimization of my bastard daughters? The option doesn't even appear, so I can't check a tooltip for requirements.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

AfroSquirrel posted:

So I'm trying to rule via generations of single women Master Seductresses, only legitimizing the heir I want to succeed me. It worked well at first, but suddenly, as my current Queen turns 40, I notice that I can't legitimize either of my two daughters. I also have a son, but unfortunately he was acknowledged by his dad and therefore stands to snatch everything away from my either superior daughter. Is the acknowledged son preventing legitimization of my bastard daughters? The option doesn't even appear, so I can't check a tooltip for requirements.
The potential field for it is
code:
		potential = {
			trait = bastard
			is_child_of = FROM
			is_liege_or_above = FROM
		}
Looks like it's the last one that could be problematic, if the kid for some reason isn't in your court.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Oh dear me posted:

I also stopped raiding people's laboratories after my marvellously talented apprentice son ended up imprisoned for life :(

Yeah, stopped after my imprisonment and subsequent castration

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

The potential field for it is
code:
		potential = {
			trait = bastard
			is_child_of = FROM
			is_liege_or_above = FROM
		}
Looks like it's the last one that could be problematic, if the kid for some reason isn't in your court.

All three kids are in my court, and I am too. Picture of one of the daughters and available options:

Also I tried and failed to seduce a horse at one point:

Probably not related to my problem though

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Did you acknowledge them as your children? Because they seem to be from a different Dynasty. I don't think you can legitimize them without acknowledging them at birth.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

AfroSquirrel posted:

All three kids are in my court, and I am too. Picture of one of the daughters and available options:

Well, that's odd, then. But...

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Did you acknowledge them as your children? Because they seem to be from a different Dynasty. I don't think you can legitimize them without acknowledging them at birth.
This may be it, in a roundabout way. Women don't get the choice to acknowledge bastard kids (hard to deny that its your kid when you just gave birth to it!), but the father's choice can get them assigned to a random dynasty, in which case, the mother can't legitimize them...hm. Kind of weird, when you think about it. I thought I remembered being able to legitimize kids in the past, and it would change their dynasty to mine.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I haven't had that option at birth for any character, I think it's only for men.

Could it be that layered bastards aren't allowed? A legitimized bastard can't legitimize bastards?

Strudel Man posted:

This may be it, in a roundabout way. Women don't get the choice to acknowledge bastard kids (hard to deny that its your kid when you just gave birth to it!), but the father's choice can get them assigned to a random dynasty, in which case, the mother can't legitimize them...hm. Kind of weird, when you think about it. I thought I remembered being able to legitimize kids in the past, and it would change their dynasty to mine.

For the current Queen's generation, I was able to right-click and legitimize them which changed their dynasty to mine.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AfroSquirrel posted:

I haven't had that option at birth for any character, I think it's only for men.

Could it be that layered bastards aren't allowed? A legitimized bastard can't legitimize bastards?

The requirements were shown above, what Strudel Man is saying is probably right and you can blame deadbeat dads.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I don't think female characters have the option of not acknowledging a bastard, considering that people probably saw you carry it around for nine months and give birth to it.

Edit: and I am now realizing the irony of posting that with this av :haw:

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 12, 2017

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Crow Jane posted:

I don't think female characters have the option of not acknowledging a bastard, considering that people probably saw you carry it around for nine months and give birth to it.

Hahaha

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

AfroSquirrel posted:

For the current Queen's generation, I was able to right-click and legitimize them which changed their dynasty to mine.
Are you certain? The requirement code is:

code:
	legitimize_bastard = {
		only_playable = yes
		filter = dynasty
		ai_target_filter = dynasty

from_potential = {
			ai = no
			is_playable = yes
			has_children = yes
			has_polygamy = no
		}

potential = {
			trait = bastard
			is_child_of = FROM
			is_liege_or_above = FROM
		}
		allow = {
			FROM = {
				piety = 20
			}
		}
with the relevant part here being that filter = dynasty on the top. As I understand the code, it shouldn't be possible to enact the decision against someone not of your dynasty. Which is itself odd, I suppose, because there is a "dynasty = FROM" effect to the decision.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Also I am irritated I can't legitimize bastards with a certain level of prestige. All my FANTASY NOVELS had bastards being legitimized by kings and poo poo, surely I should be able to do it??

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also I am irritated I can't legitimize bastards with a certain level of prestige. All my FANTASY NOVELS had bastards being legitimized by kings and poo poo, surely I should be able to do it??

What do you mean? How does prestige limit bastard legitimization?

EDIT: Going to try and get treacherous son killed and see if that fixes things.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Can you send him to a monastery, maybe? Been a while since I've played Christian, can't remember if they let you do that with your heir or not

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Can you send him to a monastery, maybe? Been a while since I've played Christian, can't remember if they let you do that with your heir or not

Not until he's an adult, at least, and that's too big a risk of a wait for an ironman game. Especially with this queen contracting every disease which comes her way.

EDIT: It did not fix the problem. On the bright side, I was able to execute him for only -10 opinion and 20 piety since he wasn't part of my dynasty. Killing a son isn't kinslaying, apparently?

EDIT: Bastards are just getting assigned 'di Firenze' and a random coat of arms. Previous generation of bastards were 'di Canossa' and a uniform coat of arms whether legitimate or not. Guess I misremembered how the past generation worked, but now what?

AfroSquirrel fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 12, 2017

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Any way you could switch to Cognatic succession?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Any way you could switch to Cognatic succession?

No, despite antipopes Catholic MA is 100% and I haven't seen any Cathars, and have only made the first tier of progress towards gender equality.

EDIT: After killing bad son, my new heir is the Queen's older sister (current succession is Ultimogeniture) who I also legitimized when the previous Queen (mom to both) fell ill. Maybe I need to kill her off too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

AfroSquirrel posted:

As in, if they were over a certain level of prestige, you should be able to legitimize them or something.

Also still loving baffled that you still can't carouse with coffee or whatever as muslims. Does paradox really thinks muslims can't have parties???

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Crow Jane posted:

Edit: and I am now realizing the irony of posting that with this av :haw:

Care to fill us in?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

AfroSquirrel posted:

EDIT: After killing bad son, my new heir is the Queen's older sister (current succession is Ultimogeniture) who I also legitimized when the previous Queen (mom to both) fell ill. Maybe I need to kill her off too.

I guarantee you that killing family members will not solve this particular problem.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I guarantee you that killing family members will not solve this particular problem.

Well, then my only hope is to marry a hobo and have a kid within two years. Guess I have to hope for the best...

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
So my Breton game has proceeded as expected. I did actually figure out how to make the AI move (attach my army to theirs) and we scored some early victories, but then the Francians hosed off to go fight some raiders instead and the Muslims wrecked Brittany while they were gone. While my provinces weren't the ones conquered, I saw which way the wind was blowing and swore fealty to the Ummayyads. This actually worked out well for me, as the my new Emperor ends up forming the Emirate of Brittany and gives it to me. From there its a simple revocation of the last independent count's title and at long last I rule the majority of Brittany.

But like hell I'm going to abandon my sweet-rear end Catharism for Islam so I falsely convert. Which now runs me smack into another senseless irritation: heretic religions can't form secret societies after false conversions. I've been reading the relevant Dev Diary and there doesn't seem to be any rationale for this. Paradox just said "Nah." and that was the end of it. :sigh:

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 12, 2017

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is intrigue relevant for sovereigns yet?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Hasn't it always affected how strong your plots are a.k.a how strong your "get rid of this problematic rear end in a top hat" button is?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Carcer posted:

Hasn't it always affected how strong your plots are a.k.a how strong your "get rid of this problematic rear end in a top hat" button is?

I feel like those plots matter more about how likely other people were to back it.

I wish council interaction was based on intrigue...

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Carcer posted:

I also find it useful for the free, automatic imprisonment option it gives you when one vassal comes to you with faked evidence of another's disloyalty.

Not a top-tier stat, though, no.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Care to fill us in?

The lady in my av basically had that exact storyline in season one of Mad Men, and more or less got away with it

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

1stGear posted:

But like hell I'm going to abandon my sweet-rear end Catharism for Islam so I falsely convert. Which now runs me smack into another senseless irritation: heretic religions can't form secret societies after false conversions. I've been reading the relevant Dev Diary and there doesn't seem to be any rationale for this. Paradox just said "Nah." and that was the end of it. :sigh:

More that the way it is currently possible in CK2 requires a poo poo-ton of event coding per secret religion society so they only did the major religions.

I had a think of how difficult it would be to write a script that generates the code for the societies, but stopped when I got to "oh yeah, you'd need to create custom icons" and I don't know how to programmatically do that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Do plagues kill troops in armies in their province? I was playing the Elder Scrolls mod and noticed that my 11K doomstack suddenly dropped to 10K, then 8k, then 5k... Then my ruler caught the plague that was infecting the county. :stonk:

Also, can mercenaries spread plagues? Because I hired a troop and I noticed they've been spreading a plague everywhere.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 12, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Archonex posted:

Do plagues kill troops in armies in their province? I was playing the Elder Scrolls mod and noticed that my 11K doomstack suddenly dropped to 11K, then 8k, then 5k... Then my ruler caught the plague that was infecting the county. :stonk:

Also, can mercenaries spread plagues? Because I hired a troop and I noticed they've been spreading a plague everywhere.

Yeah, plagues reduce supply limit and significantly increase attrition in provinces, and commanders of armies in those provinces have a (in my experience, pretty large) chance of catching the disease. So it's a pretty good idea to avoid plagued provinces during war.

I don't think diseased characters can spread the disease to provinces. I dunno if the Elder Kings mod might have changed that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Pakled posted:

Yeah, plagues reduce supply limit and significantly increase attrition in provinces, and commanders of armies in those provinces have a (in my experience, pretty large) chance of catching the disease. So it's a pretty good idea to avoid plagued provinces during war.

I don't think diseased characters can spread the disease to provinces. I dunno if the Elder Kings mod might have changed that.

Oh poo poo. Well that explains it then. Shame though, the fleet was way too far away to help and there was basically nowhere to go that I could take the army by that point.

Also I think it might be possible for an army to spread a plague. Or at the very least it's possible in the mod. Though if so it seems I had one of those rare one off flukes. I checked the origin of the mercenary companies and it turns out that one belonged to a county that was basically patient zero for the plague. It was also the only instance of the plague in that run aside from the provinces that I infected. Said county was also technically a rival.

So it seems possible that if you have a large enough army you can basically turn them into a weapon of biological atrocity. Which is just :stare:. Especially given how the events would have played out in character. If it wasn't a confluence of a bunch of random events then I created what was basically an unbeatable magical army lead by an immortal god king. Only for the army and god king to eventually succumb to the plague on the cusp of victory due to a disease carrying trojan horse from a rival.

That's literally the sort of thing you'd see in some sort of high fantasy novel. Goddamn. :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 12, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Carcer posted:

Yeah but you can comp for that with good diplomacy, since people who like you more than the other guy will help you kill him. You're never getting a plot off on your own anyway even if you're Hannibal Lecter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think Reaper's Due patch added armies tracking disease. And outright starting epidemics. I don't think characters can start epidemics, but can cause other characters in the same spot to catch the disease.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Even though I'm a (custom) Emperor and my imperial realm laws ban titles from passing out of my realm, one of my dukes inherited the crown of a neighboring kingdom...and instead of remaining my vassal, he became independent and took his duchy with him. What would cause that to happen? Since I held a higher level title than the one he inherited, shouldn't I have remained his liege?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Goddammit no dad I did't want to inherit the ummayd caliphate I was going to convert to berber and Shia and become an assassin!

One thing I'm wondering now, do different branches of the same Islamic family share decadence meter or is it different for different faiths?

Also has anyone ever been recruited for the assassins while Sunni? If I read the event right it looks like it might happen??

fakeedit: ugggghhhhh i keep becoming the king for fucks sake; there seriously needs to be an option to say "no, gently caress you" about inheriting loving titles for players

Main Paineframe posted:

Even though I'm a (custom) Emperor and my imperial realm laws ban titles from passing out of my realm, one of my dukes inherited the crown of a neighboring kingdom...and instead of remaining my vassal, he became independent and took his duchy with him. What would cause that to happen? Since I held a higher level title than the one he inherited, shouldn't I have remained his liege?
the de jure laws of the kingdom he inherits and/or the duchy he held didn't forbid inheritance probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
Hey guys what are some tips for not sucking at this game?

Every few months I play this game for an hour then rage-quit and leave it alone for a few months. I want to break the cycle.

Also, why can't I chop revolters heads off anymore and redistribute their lands? I mean I guess I can but it will make my vassals really mad now for some reason.

• Locked thread