Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

heffray posted:

Picked this up Thursday with the GM 20% off deal (automatic because I'm lazy now, LS3, magneride shocks, etc). I do not understand why more people didn't buy these.

Because dealers were marking up the poo poo out of them.

I shopped them at one point, but everyone wanted 50k, which, no thanks.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The finest shag carpet.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mat_Drinks posted:

Because dealers were marking up the poo poo out of them.

I shopped them at one point, but everyone wanted 50k, which, no thanks.

This. GM still has a way to go with dealer practices, though they're still better than Ford in that regard.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Haulin a hot tub for a friend. we were quite tempted to fill that fucker with water.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

cursedshitbox posted:

Haulin a hot tub for a friend. we were quite tempted to fill that fucker with water.

What's the napkin math on the weight increase from that? Standard 6 man hot tub holds 1700 litres / 450 gal? That's 1700kg / 3800lbs?

:getin:

Edit: Actual content

I love driving this thing in the snow. Factory width Gislaveds are awesome! With the DSC and TCS off, every drive is the winter episode of Initial D.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 12, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Supposedly you can still use them for hauling rocks and dirt and poo poo and then just hose them out.

Not sure if I'll get one or not. It'd probably help keep things from sliding around back there but I'm thinking I'll get one of those bed extenders that flip to the inside for that.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
What's the benefit over a bed liner? I'd be worried the bed rug would retain moisture and rust out the bed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Don't call that cute dogge a bed bug. :colbert:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

Supposedly you can still use them for hauling rocks and dirt and poo poo and then just hose them out.

Not sure if I'll get one or not. It'd probably help keep things from sliding around back there but I'm thinking I'll get one of those bed extenders that flip to the inside for that.

You're that guy that buys a truck and then immediately proceeds to use it like a giant minivan that we all laugh at.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

This. GM still has a way to go with dealer practices, though they're still better than Ford in that regard.

Maybe they should all just go Tesla's route?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

You're that guy that buys a truck and then immediately proceeds to use it like a giant minivan that we all laugh at.
How does it compare to buying a Prius to use like a small minivan?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

How does it compare to buying a Prius to use like a small minivan?

Ask a taxi driver.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Speaking of minivans, I just went full minivan /crossover / whatever the hell this thing is. Happy to rejoin the mazda family, depreciation on these things must be pretty brutal. 2009 CX-9 AWD, 95k miles, good condition for $8100.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MikeyTsi posted:

Right. BRB putting a bedrug on my F350.

Go haul some poo poo with that minty rear end pickup of yours. and by poo poo i don't mean the wife/kids/wiener.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
imo it needs a lift, angry lights mod, light bar, and non-DOT HIDs.

Fake edit: The truck, of course. Not the minivan. Or...?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Trucks need to be slammed. Only lift a truck if you take it properly off-roading not just driving it down the occasional gravel track or bumping up a kerb outside McDonalds because you can't physically park any nearer.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Right. BRB putting a bedrug on my F350.

Go haul some poo poo with that minty rear end pickup of yours. and by poo poo i don't mean the wife/kids/wiener.

Ya, I was gonna leave it alone cause it's not my business but

I don't see the point of buying a brand new truck and putting a hard tonneau cover and rug in it. The roll up soft covers with a hard or spray-in liner are cool, but this is making a poor version of either a wagon or suv.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What's wrong with having a twin turbo RWD luxury sedan that can handle potholes and hop curbs and tow boats :shrug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Ya, I was gonna leave it alone cause it's not my business but

I don't see the point of buying a brand new truck and putting a hard tonneau cover and rug in it. The roll up soft covers with a hard or spray-in liner are cool, but this is making a poor version of either a wagon or suv.
Notably, a pickup can carry a mattress or dresser whereas an SUV cannot, unless you own a Suburban or something.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 14, 2017

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Trucks need to be slammed. Only lift a truck if you take it properly off-roading not just driving it down the occasional gravel track or bumping up a kerb outside McDonalds because you can't physically park any nearer.

This should be given to every bro truck when purchasing a lift kit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Notably, a pickup can carry a mattress or dresser whereas an SUV cannot, unless you own a Suburban or something.

Well yeah I was meaning something like a suburban if you need to tow while having cargo and passenger space, but to your point I'd almost be afraid to haul much of anything on that bed rug thing. The metal feet on a stove or any heavy appliance could easily slice it.

Note: I'm not against pickups. At all.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Trucks are meant to be used. This made the loader op at the gravel yard very nervous, but I made a few more runs with no problems. Just had to drive the ~3 miles home very cautiously.

Half a yard of damp roadbase. I'm sorry your full framed mini trucks can't handle a real load like a unibody truck can :v:

Carpet in the bed seems silly but hey if you don't mind beating it up, go for it. I'd tear it up with shovels, car parts, and scrapmetal within a week or two.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe what you need in a vehicle is different than what he needs in a vehicle, and despite being vaguely similar shapes, you could each outfit your vehicle in vastly different ways to suit each of your specific needs?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
You need a truck, wut?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Powershift posted:

Maybe what you need in a vehicle is different than what he needs in a vehicle, and despite being vaguely similar shapes, you could each outfit your vehicle in vastly different ways to suit each of your specific needs?

That's why we're talking about it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I would not ride in that

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Seems to me a van would be a much better family vehicle that could haul much more than a pickup with a topper. You even can get carpet!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

angryrobots posted:

That's why we're talking about it.

We're not talking about it. we're gang piling on a guy for not using his non-AI approved vehicle in an AI approved way.

He has violated our groupthink.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

One thing that the 'bed mat and teannu cover? GAY!' crowd forgets sometimes is that tow balls are a thing.

Sometimes it's about a travel trailer or enclosed trailer with toys in it and a dry truck bed full of gear and a cab full of dudes or dudettes

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Spiffness posted:

One thing that the 'bed mat and teannu cover? GAY!' crowd forgets sometimes is that tow balls are a thing.

Sometimes it's about a travel trailer or enclosed trailer with toys in it and a dry truck bed full of gear and a cab full of dudes or dudettes

Or sometimes you wanna go camping but don't want to pitch a tent. Bedrug + cap seems like a great way to achieve that.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Tonneau covers are nice for keeping stuff dry and somewhat secure. Not sure I'd bother with carpet, but considering it's a new truck I can certainly understand. Not every truck is going to be a scrap iron hauler from day 1.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Powershift posted:

We're not talking about it. we're gang piling on a guy for not using his non-AI approved vehicle in an AI approved way.

I can't help what other assholes post and they are not we. I only questioned the rug.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I have sports cars but I don't intend to track them

:prepop:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jymmybob posted:

I have sports cars but I don't intend to track them

:prepop:

That way they won't get passed by an old Miata in their Cayman S. Or stuff their Mclaren 650S into their other Mclaren 650S that their friend is driving, pushing both cars off the track whist pouring oil everywhere.*

*this happened this past weekend

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

dreesemonkey posted:

Speaking of minivans, I just went full minivan /crossover / whatever the hell this thing is. Happy to rejoin the mazda family, depreciation on these things must be pretty brutal. 2009 CX-9 AWD, 95k miles, good condition for $8100.

Depreciation on these is pretty brutal. I've been interested in a 2016/2017 CX-9 for a family car and brand new price of entry is ludicrous for what the car has included or even fully optioned. That said, the same dealership is selling a 2016 for 40K new and a 2016 used with 5,000 miles on it for 28,999. Both are the same trim and package...

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Powershift posted:

I drive a Toyota Corolla and I take it to the dealer for service.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

beep-beep car is go posted:

I drive a Toyota Corolla and I take it to the dealer for service.

I take my 2011 F-150 to the dealer for service because they charge me less for an oil change than I would pay for the oil alone from Autozone.
Also they fixed my clogged windshield wiper sprayers for free.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I do what I want :twisted:

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

If you're going to spend $50,000 on a truck, then immediately spend several thousand more to basically make it a van, maybe just buy the van.

I mean, I know the van isn't nearly as MANLY as big ol' truck, but it's probably far better utility for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MikeyTsi posted:

If you're going to spend $50,000 on a truck, then immediately spend several thousand more to basically make it a van, maybe just buy the van.

I mean, I know the van isn't nearly as MANLY as big ol' truck, but it's probably far better utility for the price.

It's true. I recently re-discovered how useful vans can be when a work rental ended up being a Ford Transit Connect.
My next truck will be a van.