Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
For those who have been paying attention: how is Schwarber looking this spring? Does he seem to be completely recovered? He's hitting .125 but is he making good contact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Schwarber hitting .125 in spring training this year is exactly as relevant as him hitting .412 in the World Series last year (ie it isn't).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Schwarber hitting .412 in the WS was actually very relevant.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
A Tebowian performance on his part

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Detroit Tigers are going to be so loving awful this season.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NiceGuy posted:

I'm in favor of all fielders wearing John Olerud--style helmets, including pitchers

man that guy owned

He hit like .391 in a season for me in High Heat 200. Dude owned.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

drew butera killed sal perez in the World Baseball Classic

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is it just me or does Lucroy's chest plate in this game look a little confederate?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

R.D. Mangles posted:

drew butera killed sal perez in the World Baseball Classic

Ya, that might be a weird clubhouse environment in the future.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
it looked like he stopped sliding and just rolled awkwardly into perez's leg. don't know if perez will take it personally, since it didn't appear to be malicious. still unfortunate.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

alpha_destroy posted:

Ya, that might be a weird clubhouse environment in the future.

https://twitter.com/ithrow88/status/840723423156305920

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
A pitcher dying from being hit in the head by a line drive is incredibly incredibly unlikely. There's been like, one person killed by a batted ball in professional baseball in the last 50 years. And he was hit in the neck, which, head protection obviously isn't gonna do anything for you there.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/billshaikin/status/840734420147494913

V: :swoon:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

N: https://twitter.com/Indians/status/840762071159463936

V: good sweet jesus. :stare:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

He killed this baseball. It is now dead.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Pretty much. I got a text as soon as it happened saying KC should have released Butera. Which was a real stupid take cause then they might have had no catchers haha.

Anyway, no structural damage so hooray. Hopefully everyone forgets about it!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Luigi Thirty posted:

He killed this baseball. It is now dead.

Yeah, good God.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

A pitcher dying from being hit in the head by a line drive is incredibly incredibly unlikely. There's been like, one person killed by a batted ball in professional baseball in the last 50 years. And he was hit in the neck, which, head protection obviously isn't gonna do anything for you there.

A high school kid was killed by a baseball in the dugout a couple of years ago. Oddly, it was an errant infield throw between innings. Medical personnel were right there, but it happened to hit him in the wrong place.

All the area high schools soon had netting in front of the dugouts.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

A high school kid was killed by a baseball in the dugout a couple of years ago. Oddly, it was an errant infield throw between innings. Medical personnel were right there, but it happened to hit him in the wrong place.

All the area high schools soon had netting in front of the dugouts.
That's crazy, how hard could a ball be coming into a dugout if it's a wild throw from the infield?

A few years ago I remember the thing everyone was concerned with kids was the fact that there's some timing in your heartbeat where if a ball hits you in the right spot on your chest you go into arrhythmia and that's it, velocity isn't really the thing.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Whoo! Go Netherlands! They are making a game of this!

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Rand alPaul posted:

The Detroit Tigers are going to be so loving awful this season.

This is nothing that can't be fixed by burying Pelfry and Sanchez under 30 feet of concrete. After that, everybody just has to have the best season of their career and we're golden.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Blue Jays need to sign Eric Gagne.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/840717362638835712

<3 ilu jose looking forward to your career year

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/840717362638835712

<3 ilu jose looking forward to your career year

I would like nothing more than for him to be great but I am going to be deeply surprised if he is.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I would like nothing more than for him to be great but I am going to be deeply surprised if he is.

spring training stats mean nothing but he's having a superlative spring training. what does mean something is how locked in he looks. check out any single PA from this spring, he sees the ball every pitch pretty much. knock on wood but predicting 35+ hr

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
like gently caress a stolen base!! way to go joey

code:
Year	                                AB	R	H	HR	RBI	SB	AVG	OBP	OPS
2017 Spring Training Stats 	           16	4	9	2	6	1	.563	.611	1.674

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That has to be the hottest 16 ABs of all time right? At that rate he should be easily hitting 80 HRs guaranteed.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Pancakes posted:

"On the next episode of Fielder's Choice..."

lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

That has to be the hottest 16 ABs of all time right? At that rate he should be easily hitting 80 HRs guaranteed.

something called a boog powell is doing this this ST. and ya def, 80.

code:
Year	                                            AB	R	H	HR	RBI	SB	AVG	OBP	OPS
2017 Spring Training Stats	                   17	7	10	0	3	1	.588	.632	1.33

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Walrus posted:

spring training stats mean nothing but he's having a superlative spring training. what does mean something is how locked in he looks. check out any single PA from this spring, he sees the ball every pitch pretty much. knock on wood but predicting 35+ hr

The stats don't mean much but the approach matters, so it's not like you're insane for being excited. Greg Bird's power so far is something I am very hyped about.

EDIT: Also even the stats can mean something as long as they're properly qualified. I think BB-Ref includes a column in their ST stats that shows the avg quality of their opponent, which helps a lot when you're looking at call-up candidate type guys. Of course with their site redesign they don't have the ST stats up now so I can't check.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 12, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

something called a boog powell is doing this this ST. and ya def, 80.

code:
Year	                                            AB	R	H	HR	RBI	SB	AVG	OBP	OPS
2017 Spring Training Stats	                   17	7	10	0	3	1	.588	.632	1.33

Boog Powell? This dude has to be in the Cardinals org.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

The Walrus posted:

gently caress you for jinxing it

Also how do you factor in the month he's hurt and the two months he plays hurt

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Kris Bryant 2015 Spring Training (40 AB): .425/.477/1.175

1.652 OPS for the entirety of Spring Training. :eyepop:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Popete posted:

Of course, Barry Bonds has it beat: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=bondsba01&t=b&year=2002#2410-2413-sum:batting_gamelogs

.692/.737/2.000 line in a couple games in 2002 (and a pace of over 200 homers!), and I'm certain there's at least a dozen more times where he did something similar.

In summary, Barry Bonds owns.

e: An even more insane stretch: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=bondsba01&t=b&year=2004#2576-2583-sum:batting_gamelogs

.722/.828/2.167

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 12, 2017

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

He's gonna rock the poo poo this year.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Popete posted:

His nickname used to be "Little Mac", I think. Which is already taken by legendary cardinal great Joe McEwing.

Too much redundancy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

lance berkman had a freakish stretch of about 50ab around...2010? i think he obped like 600, hit like 8hr, drove in a ton. i'm sure bonds went insane for a healthy stretch too

then there was edwin's may from last season or the season before where he hit 20hr or so

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Popete posted:

List of Cardinals top prospects:

https://twitter.com/lrgmnn/status/813635533658144768

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cheering for Anatoli Smorin. Baseball Almanac tells me there have only been 7 Russian born MLB players and only one since 1932.

Go get 'em fighting baseball video game man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Popete posted:

Boog is in the Mariners minors system. I got him to sign a ball at the Fanfest last year because who would turn down a ball that says "Boog", but I got rid of it after he got busted for PEDs and I didn't think he would ever play a single game in the majors.

• Locked thread