Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

little munchkin posted:

ahh, clearly the solution to standard's woes is to turn it into a 1-deck format

Didn't we just have that? And before that we had 4 color rally only standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Banning Ballista and Felidar would not make the format a 1 deck format. With Felidar gone, things like G/W tokens can actually be viable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Conceptually speaking in Magic, "infinite" damage always beats "infinite" life due to an artifact of the rules of the game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

Banning Ballista and Felidar would not make the format a 1 deck format. With Felidar gone, things like G/W tokens can actually be viable.

And then that can get banned out in 3 months when it does well too.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you understand bannings. Copter got banned for being to universal while broken, just like Ballista would. Emrakul ruined the format, and reflector mage was a mistake, but maybe a blessing while Felidar was in the game.

The only card they would consider banning in G/W tokens in Gideon, and he isn't that oppressive / universal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DangerDongs posted:

I don't think you understand bannings. Copter got banned for being to universal while broken, just like Ballista would. Emrakul ruined the format, and reflector mage was a mistake, but maybe a blessing while Felidar was in the game.

The only card they would consider banning in G/W tokens in Gideon, and he isn't that oppressive / universal.

I don't see the case for banning Ballista at all.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Reminder that Ceremonious Rejection is a card alongside Walking Ballista

It's blue's time to shine, baby :getin:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Gideon is stupid and should never have been printed, but he isn't really banworthy the way cat is or emrakul was

That said, he was far more egregious than reflector mage and should have been banned instead of the latter

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

I don't see the case for banning Ballista at all.

The thought process is that the big three decks are Mardu, 4-copycat, and B/G. If you ban Felidar then these two dominate uncontested more than likely. Arguably the best card in both the decks is an artifact creature. It isn't as broken as Copter was.
I would be fine with just seeing Felidar gone and seeing how things shake out, but I don't think they will ban 1 card from one deck and leave the other two decks untouched.

Edit: I won't lie, I like the card value of the 4-copycat deck, but the combo aspect of it is bad game design.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 12, 2017

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Felidar Guardian renders unplayable a bunch of strategies that could take Vehicles and Sneks down several pegs. I'm sure Vehicles would remain a tier one deck but I'm equally sure that banning Cat Combo and nothing else would make for a better format

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

The thought process is that the big three decks are Mardu, 4-copycat, and B/G. If you ban Felidar then these two dominate uncontested more than likely. Arguably the best card in both the decks is an artifact creature. It isn't as broken as Copter was.
I would be fine with just seeing Felidar gone and seeing how things shake out, but I don't think they will ban 1 card from one deck and leave the other two decks untouched.

BG isn't great right now (in large part to thanks to Mardu), and Walking Ballista isn't what's making Mardu the best deck. Bunch of people don't even play it/the full playset.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

sit on my Facebook posted:

Felidar Guardian renders unplayable a bunch of strategies that could take Vehicles and Sneks down several pegs. I'm sure Vehicles would remain a tier one deck but I'm equally sure that banning Cat Combo and nothing else would make for a better format

Which deck is cat lady stopping that can beat GB and Vehicles? There is no reason you can't play a deck with 1 bad match up if you can crush the other T1 decks.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Conceptually speaking in Magic, "infinite" damage always beats "infinite" life due to an artifact of the rules of the game.

Not really. Splinter Twin on Exarch could never beat an in play Melira combo, for example. For Melira with Redcap in play vs. Melira with Finks in play, it depends on whose turn it is. IIRC if both players are infinite it's up to the non-active player to break the combo. So the Redcap player can't kill the Finks player on the Finks player's turn.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Which deck is cat lady stopping that can beat GB and Vehicles? There is no reason you can't play a deck with 1 bad match up if you can crush the other T1 decks.
I'm not too good with meta theory like this, but assuming the Cat bites it, wouldn't you only need to beat only one of Snake or Cars to be viable?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Any deck that intends to play a long game. It's not just cat lady holding it down though, its all three of those. You either have to be able to interact with the combo or be able to win by Turn 4.

A card like Fumigate is very good against GB, but its not an actual card people play often because its a dead card against the combo.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 12, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Miracle is the worst mechanic ever made. AVR was a mistake.

Incorrect because gotcha exists

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elyv posted:

Incorrect because gotcha exists

And Phyrexian mana to name a real mechanic.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

AVR was a mistake.

This is 100% accurate though. The set did absolutely nothing positive for the game except for like, Resto.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

This is 100% accurate though. The set did absolutely nothing positive for the game except for like, Resto.

Zealous Conscripts

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Cavern of Souls is cool and good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
AVR was one of my first pre-releases and i had a disgusting pool, i had the time walk miracle and dead-eye navigator and like 2 mist ravens

i went 4-1 and i was like, noob as heck

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so in conclusion AVR sucked to draft but that was the only time i did good at a pre-release so i can't hate it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Zealous Conscripts

Sure but that hasn't seen play since it left standard.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Cavern of Souls is cool and good

The most wrong opinion in a long, sad thread of wrong opinions.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

so in conclusion AVR sucked to draft but that was the only time i did good at a pre-release so i can't hate it

It was the worst draft format in the modern era. The loner mechanic was just blowout city. The good soul bonds just snowballed and ended the game. No card draw and if I remember correctly black was so shallow if two people in a pod were drafting it, they were both guaranteed to lose.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

No card in the history of magic the gathering is less fun to play with or against than number crunch

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
10-5 at GPNJ with Zombies. The deck is gas but a glass cannon. I did not draw well or roll my dice well. My friend went 11-4 with Mardu and didn't cash. Booooooo.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Cascade is the worst mechanic.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

black potus posted:

Cascade is the worst mechanic.

I haven't seen such a wrong statement from a Black POTUS since "There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can't find top 8 gpnj deck lists. I'm curios what Stark did with Jund energy. He's great at attacking a well defined field, with clever metagaming and actual innovation. Deck that most stands out in my memory is RW midrange during FRF, focusing his deck around maximizing the efficacy of Outpost Siege, with cheap cards like Chained to the Rocks. (Lost to Sultai in the finals).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 12, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Magic players are the worst part of Magic imho

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Can't find top 8 gpnj deck lists. I'm curios what Stark did with Jund energy. He's great at attacking a well defined field, with clever metagaming and actual innovation. Deck that most stands out in my memory is RW midrange during FRF, focusing his deck around maximizing the efficacy of Outpost Siege, with cheap cards like Chained to the Rocks. (Lost to Sultai in the finals).

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpnj17/top-8-decklists-2017-03-12

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The Sexual Shiite posted:

I haven't seen such a wrong statement from a Black POTUS since "There's not a liberal America and a conservative America - there's the United States of America."

Cascade is a very bad mechanic. It either casts one spell and only that one spell, and so is pretty boring, or it casts a spell at random that ranges from absolutely worthless to immediately game-ending. Like Shardless into Ancestral vs. Shardless into Abrupt Decay on an empty board. Or BBE into Lili vs. BBE into Bolt. Or god forbid Bit Blast into BBE into Blightning. It's even more randomness added to a game that really doesn't need it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Being bad for Limited where it's hard to control vs. constructed where you can build your deck to mitigate any unwanted consequences is hardly an argument against the mechanic as a whole.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
free spell mechanics are p much never fair but by god r&d won't stop trying, and im glad of it

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
When do we find out what's going on with the B+R list?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Alris posted:

When do we find out what's going on with the B+R list?

Tomorrow most likely. Unless they release the ban update to modo early or something like last time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fittingly, before tomorrow's B&R announcement, Copy Cat takes both GPs. (unless both gpnj finalists mange to disqualify themselves).

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
"Cat combo isn't even good folks"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Cascade is a very bad mechanic. It either casts one spell and only that one spell, and so is pretty boring, or it casts a spell at random that ranges from absolutely worthless to immediately game-ending. Like Shardless into Ancestral vs. Shardless into Abrupt Decay on an empty board. Or BBE into Lili vs. BBE into Bolt. Or god forbid Bit Blast into BBE into Blightning. It's even more randomness added to a game that really doesn't need it.

I agree that it's awful, but it is not the worst. The storm scale is named that for a reason, and I think phyrexian mana is worse as well.

So is infect.

Elyv posted:

No card in the history of magic the gathering is less fun to play with or against than number crunch

I and a lot of other people I know find that sort of thing fun, as long as it's accompanied by some alcohol and nobody is taking it seriously.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

free spell mechanics are p much never fair but by god r&d won't stop trying, and im glad of it

Hell yeah they are:
Affinity
Phyrexian mana
Cascade
Delve
Storm
Maybe one I missed?

I guess it also depends on the cards you use with them but a lot of cards have been banned either with these mechanics or as a result of how they interact with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I agree that it's awful, but it is not the worst. The storm scale is named that for a reason, and I think phyrexian mana is worse as well.

So is infect.

At least Storm decks are always doing something cool.

• Locked thread