Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Tae posted:

I'm a little less worried because more games in general have been doing the trend of only showing the first fraction of the game (Horizon, Resident Evil 7, FF15 comes to mind).

I know you're talking about pre-release stuff, I don't mean what I'm about to say as a counterpoint, but it reminded me: I realised way later that the version of the trailer that got turned into the Cup Noodle thing includes a shot from the cutscene before the final boss, and a shot from the actual ending. Pretty ballsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hosed if i can find it but it was like, the reason that final fantasies traditionally do the redcoat lineup is because they wanted to visually invoke american football

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Final Fantasy Football, if you will.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

the long awaited side-game to mario hoops

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mega64 posted:

Give the FF7 Remake to Taro Yoko.

THIS PLEASE

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

mandatory lesbian posted:

the long awaited side-game to mario hoops

You joke, but I would totally play this

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Barret's tragic backstory is that he wanted to be a qb but he lost his throwing arm

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The White Dragon posted:

Barret's tragic backstory is that he wanted to be a qb but he lost his throwing arm

Football launching armcannons being against the rules is some bullshit, that's all I'm saying.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Fister Roboto posted:

Friday Night Warriors of Light

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Friday Night Blitz

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy is a brand. Whatever success FF15 had trickled down to their other merchandise and side-products, even other non-FF games. Square isn't relying on just one game to be the focal financial point anymore, it's a whole trickling down effect.

Thats not how SEs business divisions work. Each of them basically run themselves. The might see some of the success in another BD and try to do something they can emulate but it wont be something like "from now on all the games will be open world roadtrips" or some poo poo like that. BD2 probably saw the success of FFXIV and decided that a continuous production well into a year after the game launches could make the title more successful in the long run, thats what they are experimenting now with FFXV but that doesn't mean that they used the same combat as FFXIV or the same story beats. They also probably took into account BD1s FFXIII and how multiple sequels for the same title just burn out the playerbase and thought DLC was a better choice.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Grozz Nuy posted:

You joke, but I would totally play this

Only if they get the person that did the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj3aVrNOW0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egn9B37GwpM

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

some guy on the bus posted:

Despite beating FF7 multiple times and loving it, I can't think of one exciting or interesting battle. The best that can be said about it was some of the summons were cool to look at.

From a few pages back but this is why goon opinions about the combat in 7 are dumb - because we've all played it to death and forget how unique and challenging it was at the time. Of course it's not hard now - games back then weren't built necessarily for replayability and so didn't have the same dynamic elements that you now need to adapt to in many modern games. Everything in ff7 has been min-maxed to hell and back so of course it seems easy to most people picking it up today.

Material when it first came out was rad as hell and I loved swapping poo poo around to try to make my characters as efficient as possible.

Tae posted:

Sunning, that's a bit disingenuous. When people talk about turn-based combat for ff7, they're talking about a specific one that's encounter-based and not on a grid.

And Pokemon is not a big budget title in the slightest compared to even a B-tier final fantasy game.

The question is if a 100+ million dollar ATB battle style production can be profitable in today's era.

The answer is yes, because final fantasy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kalenn Istarion posted:

From a few pages back but this is why goon opinions about the combat in 7 are dumb - because we've all played it to death and forget how unique and challenging it was at the time. Of course it's not hard now - games back then weren't built necessarily for replayability and so didn't have the same dynamic elements that you now need to adapt to in many modern games. Everything in ff7 has been min-maxed to hell and back so of course it seems easy to most people picking it up today.

Material when it first came out was rad as hell and I loved swapping poo poo around to try to make my characters as efficient as possible.

The answer is yes, because final fantasy

I dont think I could ever say that FFVII was challenging. I was like 10 when it came out and distinctly remembering plowing through most of the content with double cut/quadra cut and stacking HP. I loving killed midgardsomr because I mashed my way through the part where it was suggested I get a chocobo to cross the marsh (and it didnt help that english was my second language). I was thoroughly confused when I saw that scene with it spiked on a tree.

Mega64 posted:

SE still produces a good number of turn-based games, they're just all side series and other experimental games.

Besides, I'm more concerned that we've only seen footage from the first fifteen minute of the original so far after, what, close to two years since the announcement? Sure, they likely have more stuff than they've shown, but this is SE after all.

I'll be surprised if Chapter One comes out before 2019.

SE apparently has Nomura on a tight leash after FFvsXIII and is aggressively controlling what he shows. The last thing they want is him hyping people up with concept pictures and videos without having anything to actually show for.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 12, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
every final fantasy is made with a mindset that kids will be playing it so none of them are super challenging, but they can still be not complete cake-walks for casual players

or at least this is how i will justify dieing to anything in FF1 gba when i was younger

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
fighting garland without buying any magic for my black and white mage was prob not the smartest move, with 15 years of hindsight

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

bloodychill posted:

I'm thinking it's about 2019 when FF7R will be done being dumped unceremoniously into Tabata's lap and released in 2021. It will be about Cloud and Tifa traveling around the world by car, train, and airship staying with friends to see where they should settle down after Tifa becomes pregnant. The combat will be described as "Dark Souls-ian" just in time for FromSoft to go back on their "no more Souls games" promise and come out a week before Dark Souls 4 before and then completely forgotten.

I'm glad of it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

From a few pages back but this is why goon opinions about the combat in 7 are dumb - because we've all played it to death and forget how unique and challenging it was at the time.

This might blow your mind but some of us actually thought ff7 combat has always been trivial. I had never touched a JRPG and it was extremely underwhelming. After 7 I tried to play ff5 and could not beat Neo-exdeath even with cheats, this is how bad I was.

Just remembering my first impression of ff7's combat actually makes me more enthusiastic about the remake.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

every final fantasy is made with a mindset that kids will be playing it so none of them are super challenging, but they can still be not complete cake-walks for casual players

or at least this is how i will justify dieing to anything in FF1 gba when i was younger

FF1 is legit hard tho, it has some really unforgiving mechanics - the final dungeon in particular could be brutal if you guessed wrong on the value of the spell 'EXIT' and hadn't picked up all of the healing helms or staff or whatever they were.

Elentor posted:

This might blow your mind but some of us actually thought ff7 combat has always been trivial. I had never touched a JRPG and it was extremely underwhelming. After 7 I tried to play ff5 and could not beat Neo-exdeath even with cheats, this is how bad I was.

Just remembering my first impression of ff7's combat actually makes me more enthusiastic about the remake.

Maybe my brain doesn't work the right way but I always thought it was 'sufficiently challenging to be fun', not 'hard'

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Maybe my brain doesn't work the right way but I always thought it was 'sufficiently challenging to be fun', not 'hard'

People have different perceptions of what is fun and people will obviously find different games to be easy/hard/average. I had a friend as a kid who could not play Sonic because he found it too hard and was amazing at Megaman, and I was the opposite. My point is that you shouldn't just assume people misremember the difficulty just because you didn't experience it the same way. It has nothing to do with having played it to death or not now 20 years after the fact.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The only FF final boss that has caused me lots of trouble was Zeromus when I was literally 8 years old. But I mean, I'm a professional gamesman so I don't expect the unwashed masses to approach my level of skill.

Elentor posted:

People have different perceptions of what is fun and people will obviously find different games to be easy/hard/average. I had a friend as a kid who could not play Sonic because he found it too hard and was amazing at Megaman, and I was the opposite. My point is that you shouldn't just assume people misremember the difficulty just because you didn't experience it the same way. It has nothing to do with having played it to death or not now 20 years after the fact.

To be fair, there is a large cadre of goons who consider FFT to be "too easy" despite the fact it is infamously difficult. They have played the game to death and have a mind for it. I think one goon admitted they had 1000+ hours in it.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 12, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I beat Dark Souls with little trouble and thought Manos was a joke.

I never beat Sonic 2 because I could not figure out how to get past that bouncy spinning thing in vegas-like city until someone told me that you just press down

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bloodychill posted:

To be fair, there is a large cadre of goons who consider FFT to be "too easy" despite the fact it is infamously difficult. They have played the game to death and have a mind for it.

Fair point, but at least from my thread the majority of people who played FF7 agrees that it weights heavily on the easy side. That's not to say there haven't been a few posters who pointed out they had difficulty, some even found the early bosses to be actually challenging.

The first time I played FFT as a kid I played it for 10 minutes and was like "gently caress this poo poo".

Tae posted:

I beat Dark Souls with little trouble and thought Manos was a joke.

I never beat Sonic 2 because I could not figure out how to get past that bouncy spinning thing in vegas-like city until someone told me that you just press down

That's Sonic 3 and I'm also one of the stupid kids who got stuck in it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
FFVII wasn't really overly hard but it gave its fair amount of bite for a beginner's RPG - stuff like Carry Armor could be tough on a first run.

Now FFX, that was baby's first RPG until.... what, Seymour?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Crawler from right before Macalania Temple can be pretty nasty for someone relatively unused to RPGs too. Maybe Sinspawn Gui if you're really new?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

FF1 is legit hard tho, it has some really unforgiving mechanics - the final dungeon in particular could be brutal if you guessed wrong on the value of the spell 'EXIT' and hadn't picked up all of the healing helms or staff or whatever they were.

FF1 GBA is a very different game from FF1 NES, they specifically changed it so that it was less difficult

also changed it so the spells actually worked, and the equipment

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Elentor posted:

I can't agree with this - people's perceptions have to be coloured to some degree or other by the past 20 years of playing the game and that will almost certainly colour their memory of it whether they realize it or not. It doesn't mean everyone experienced it the same way when it was new but recency bias is an actual thing.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

FF1 GBA is a very different game from FF1 NES, they specifically changed it so that it was less difficult

also changed it so the spells actually worked, and the equipment

I've played the original and DoS, I wasn't aware the GBA version was different again?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I've played the original and DoS, I wasn't aware the GBA version was different again?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy/Version_differences

this goes over it pretty well cause there's a lot different, but the main things is lowered difficulty, changing the spell charge like system to an mp pool, and saving anywhere you want

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I can't agree with this - people's perceptions have to be coloured to some degree or other by the past 20 years of playing the game and that will almost certainly colour their memory of it whether they realize it or not. It doesn't mean everyone experienced it the same way when it was new but recency bias is an actual thing.

If we're gonna say people's criticisms are less reliable because it's been 20 years since it came out then you have to extend that to the praise too and then find a way to extend that to people who never played it at launch and played it sometime in the intervening years and thats a giant rear end mess to try to cast that particular net over.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That was Masayoshi Soken, the guy who does almost all the music for FF14 now. I think he'd be down.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You'll have to apply recency bias to yourself as well then and not act like everyone else's opinion is, in your own words, "dumb". At which point it's better just not to act like you're the only person with an objective flawless perception and cut the middleman that is arguing about how everyone else is polluted except you.

"Your opinion is colored to some degree and therefore it is wrong" is a really bad trend that serves no purpose other than to try to invalidate dissident views. We're all colored by our experiences, it is a moot point. You should try applying the principle of charity before assuming everyone else is being dumb. If you need to draw on the notion of cognitive biases to talk about you being the only person who didn't find a videogame being easy and everyone else is wrong, odds are that you're being biased yourself.

It's okay to find a game sufficiently challenging or hard. Here, let me start: Unlike Tae, I can't beat a single Dark Souls for poo poo.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 12, 2017

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i first played FF7 last year and it didn't seem particularly hard, but i got bored at about when cait sith got introduced so maybe it gets really hard after that

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's like two vaguely difficult bosses in the whole game, not counting the two optional super bosses.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I replayed FF7 a few years ago and I think the only normal boss I died to was Carry Armor. I just tried to brute force it by ignoring the arms but turns out it has too much HP for that to work and the arms will actually kill you if you don't deal with them.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Saigyouji posted:

Crawler from right before Macalania Temple can be pretty nasty for someone relatively unused to RPGs too. Maybe Sinspawn Gui if you're really new?

A friend back in school got stuck on crawler, gave me her memory card and asked me if I could beat it for her. It was literally her first FF/RPG. Didnt have any issues with the rest of the game. Probably because I told her about summon limit scumming.

e- I think the only FF where I got genuinely screwed over was FFT and it was more just bad game design putting you into an unwinnable fight if you have a bad composition and you cant back out again to fix your mistake. We all know that fight.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 12, 2017

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I remember the FFT board at GameFAQs got really good at getting people past Riovanes, even if they couldn't abuse Yell+Accumulate or Auto-potion. But sometimes the best solution was to pray for a crit with a random damage weapon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I remember loading down my characters with all the magic materia at once and then never twigging why they got 2HKO'd by everything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I got stuck in FFVIII at the Missle Base, but Id say its probably one of my favorite FF now.

FFT is crap though, no matter what I abuse to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pureauthor posted:

I remember loading down my characters with all the magic materia at once and then never twigging why they got 2HKO'd by everything.
That was a neat idea but the early maluses to HP were on a completely different magnitude than the level up HP so even just picking up all the chests in a dungeon kept you on the curve with a few extra encounters per set piece. Until the later maluses to HP from the beefy materia or some of the out of depth hitters like the dragon in the mountains that cast trine. At which point you could just not use the beefy materia because it was usually worse than Enemy Skill, or save up for HP materia, or alpha strike the out of depth stuff with limit breaks to limit exposure to the 1HKO.

I still socket every unique materia I can, because if you like numbers in any way at all its important they are all gaining AP just cause. But drat if doing an ounce of grinding at Cosmo Canyon to get a set of HP materia doesn't just blow the bottom out of a game with already nearly gutsless balancing.