Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Jim's 7/10 review kinda sucks, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Regy Rusty posted:

That's the secret use I was referencing, you get so many parts that it's no problem to sell tons for cash and still have tons left for all the Mon you need.

Maan I WISH I got the OOT armor though, I've tapped my Link amiibo every day and only got one piece of the twilight set which im not bothering upgrading cause what's the point without the whole outfit.

As far as I know the drop tables are exclusive. I won't get the twilight set because the OG link amiibo is impossible to find, nor will I ever get Epona, so you have that over other people. But you probably won't get the OOT set unless you get an OOT link amiibo.

You can load saves in order to try over and over and get different things.

I'd also like the shiek's mask but the original smash amiibos are impossible to get a hold of. I can live without it though, OOT was the one I really wanted and I nabbed one so I'm happy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kirios posted:

I refuse to believe he got that far in the game without realizing you can just use Cryonis to cross bodies of water instead of the "lethal" act of swimming.

I like Jim but the review is just full of logical holes that the game *teaches* you to implement to overcome things before you even leave the plateau. I'm not saying he's obligated to like it but there's so many aspects of the review where you go "but wait, what about trying X"? I mean, hell, you have a drat horse before the first bloody town, who cares if you can't sprint for very long?

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 12, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kirios posted:

Reminds me a lot of his Vanquish review. Didn't understand mechanics and creates a lot of faults instead of just learning what the game is teaching you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Who is Jim

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I absolutely agree. I feel like he went into the game with a negative connotation and honed in on those instead of trying to get the most out of it.

It's a drat shame, really.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kirios posted:

I like Jim's commentary on the industry but his actual reviews tend to be lacking

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Some people - Jim being one of them - have certain gameplay mechanics hey just can't engage with or deal with. For Jim, stamina bars and durability seem to drive him nuts. Other people are pathologically incapable of dealing with the time cycle in Majora's Mask, because their brains are broken.

It's sad but true.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't mind time limits in most games, the one in Majora's Mask is just bad and makes you feel like everything you do is pointless.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't mind time limits in most games, the one in Majora's Mask is just bad and makes you feel like everything you do is pointless.

Just need to learn the route to 100% the game in a single cycle! :shepface:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Just finished the game with the good ending and overall it was a lot of fun. I've got something like 60-70% of the shrines completed so I'll probably get the rest done at some point when I feel like playing again (probably when the new story DLC hits) but this is easily my favorite Zelda game and really worth at least giving a try even if you're normally not into open world games. There's something about how purposefully the whole world was made, and how everything is actually accessible via gliding/climbing/etc that makes it feel like you really do have the tools to tackle the world however you want.

Link's ability to climb everything everywhere (with like really minor exceptions) has already ruined every other open world game for me just because it makes things feel actually open. Letting you expand his stamina as the game goes on was a great way to kind of soft-gate access to a number of areas, and even then with the right recipe or clever use of gliding you can bypass a lot of these limits and get into areas that it sometimes feels like you aren't meant to be in yet- but you are.

There's nowhere that the game actually forbids you from going, just places you haven't figured out how to get to yet. That's what makes BotW special compared to other open world stuff.

Then you throw in a really fun combat system, lots of neat powers, some nice weapon variety, and the cooking stuff (which, while kind of basic, is basic in a good way) and there's a ton of good game here even without getting to the huge variety of puzzles and the four big ol dungeons that are some cool puzzles unto themselves.

The game had some problems, like weapon/shield durability feels a little too wimpy sometimes and it would have been nice to get some simple way to repair or reinforce items you like. I've seen stuff drop with 'Improved Durability', 'Critical Hit', 'Long Throw Distance', etc so having some way to imbue these properties into existing weapons would have been nice and probably could have easily tied into the crafting stuff. I'm glad armor didn't have durability though. There were also some frustrating moments where I'd get chain-ragdolled by enemies. Particularly there was a Lynel that kept doing this dash-attack while I was in my recovery animation and would knock me down just at the end of it, and repeat that, over and over. And then another time I ran into two Guardians (one flying, one on the ground) and they managed to get their lasers offset in this really awkward way, where one would fire, then the other, then the first, then the second, etc, with just enough time for me to get up between shots, so I could get knocked down again. Those situations were not great. But the frustrating bits were few and far between and the majority of the game was a ton of fun.

I don't know where Zelda goes from here, though. I imagine we get a 2nd open-world style Zelda using this engine and a lot of these assets in a few years, just because it's smart to reuse this giant and expensive thing they made for BotW, but in terms of the proper next step in the evolution of the series I'm really curious to see where things go from here.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What should be my priority buying the final great fairy or a full set or ancient armor

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Some people - Jim being one of them - have certain gameplay mechanics hey just can't engage with or deal with. For Jim, stamina bars and durability seem to drive him nuts. Other people are pathologically incapable of dealing with the time cycle in Majora's Mask, because their brains are broken.

Bringing mental health either undermines your point, or has you make said point in a manner utterly repugnant.

Come on. We don't need to sink this low.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

If dungeons are the thing you want in your Zelda games it's not very surprising that this game isn't your thing.

if you go around w/the main goal of unlocking shrine warps on the map, and then do like 4 or 5 shrines + maybe a beast or a labryinth in a row its about as much content as a traditional dungeon, albeit w/that repetitive look to it

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

It's called atmosphere! The world is called TERMINA! Ennui and depression is a thematic throughline, you dense motherfucker.

Play Majora's Mask to 100% and don't come back until you love it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Patter Song posted:

I first played Twilight Princess on the HD version last year. I had avoided it previously because everyone always said it was awful. Sure enough, it had long boring sections at the beginning...but then its dungeons and boss fights rapidly propelled it to my favorite 3D Zelda, even over Wind Waker. I'm a bit nervous about typing this, because I know saying you prefer Twilight Princess to Wind Waker is heresy.

I enjoyed playing Twilight Princess HD last fall WAY more than I've enjoyed Breath of the Wild so far. Maybe I'll come around on this. I want to like this game.

when TP gets going the dungeons are really excellent, its true. but try balancing your exploring/shrine playing differently in botw if you want it to be more like a normal zelda structure, thats what worked for me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kirios posted:

I stopped caring about that review when I realized he hated the shrines. The shrines are awesome, for the most part. If we differ that much on such an important point, I'm pretty sure nothing in that review is going to be relatable to me at all.

Also, if he really thinks a single diamond is an "exorbitant" amount of resources for repairing a strong weapon, he has no idea how to play the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The majora's mask time limit is probably the only time limit that I've enjoyed in a game

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress yes. i love majora's mask for this reason

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Bringing mental health either undermines your point, or has you make said point in a manner utterly repugnant.

Come on. We don't need to sink this low.

My apologies. I didn't mean to correlate any actual specific mental health conditions with not liking MM, but hosed up.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Majora's Mask is significantly overhyped.

Breath of the Wild, however, is best ever made.

Harrow posted:

I stopped caring about that review when I realized he hated the shrines. The shrines are awesome, for the most part. If we differ that much on such an important point, I'm pretty sure nothing in that review is going to be relatable to me at all.

Also, if he really thinks a single diamond is an "exorbitant" amount of resources for repairing a strong weapon, he has no idea how to play the game.

Yeah...that's the biggest question mark I have as well. The shrines are...wonderful, and more than take the place of dungeons. I just don't understand his line of thinking.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Calaveron posted:

What should be my priority buying the final great fairy or a full set or ancient armor

Great Fairy for sure, the Ancient Armor is okay but after like 3 upgrades on your normal stuff you resist Guardian damage enough that it doesn't really matter anyway.

The set bonus is really strong in theory, but the problem is all the weapons that benefit from it have like super wimpy baby durability so you'll just eat through them all very quickly.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Harrow posted:

I mean Upland Zoroana is RIGHT NEXT TO ZORA'S DOMAIN. I can trade enough luminous stones for a single diamond once per play session.

If anything the game is too generous to you.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
After scanning both the Ganondorf and 8bit amiibo over 100 times with neither of their exclusive weapons, I am met with a feeling of utter despair as I realize I'm going to be utterly hosed when it's time to get Sheik's headwrap or the Majora's Mask gear.

gently caress modern gaming :negative:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Link's Awakening would be the indisputable GOAT if not for interface/QoL problems really hampering the play experience in 2017, but it's still top 3. Majora's Mask 3D and Breath of the Wild round out the other 2 in no particular order.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Set bonuses don't matter because you have to wear a full set to get them, which means you aren't maxing out your fashion stat.

Emalde posted:

After scanning both the Ganondorf and 8bit amiibo over 100 times with neither of their exclusive weapons, I am met with a feeling of utter despair as I realize I'm going to be utterly hosed when it's time to get Sheik's headwrap or the Majora's Mask gear.

gently caress modern gaming :negative:

What's the point of scanning for a weapon that's just gonna break anyways

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One last thing about Jim's review: he couldn't be more wrong about the towers. They're not Ubisoft radio towers. If they marked all the point-of-interest icons on your map, they would be. But they don't. Instead, the world is designed well enough that you can use the height of the tower to find those things yourself. That's awesome! I'm sad that he doesn't really differentiate the two styles because I think he's missing a really good twist that makes the "climb a tower" thing fresh.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Suspicious Dish posted:

also i still havent another second great fairy besides the one in kakariko.

Here's a tip. The giant fairy fountains all use the same unique model which is not used anywhere else in the game.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

well Jim can't be all bad

He likes Zant after all

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Harrow posted:

One last thing about Jim's review: he couldn't be more wrong about the towers. They're not Ubisoft radio towers. If they marked all the point-of-interest icons on your map, they would be. But they don't. Instead, the world is designed well enough that you can use the height of the tower to find those things yourself. That's awesome! I'm sad that he doesn't really differentiate the two styles because I think he's missing a really good twist that makes the "climb a tower" thing fresh.

yeah this is why the towers in Breath of the Wild are fun and interesting instead of just another checklist that gives you a secondary checklist. plus they're way less frequent than the towers in Ubisoft stuff like Assassin's Creed, there's less than 10 in the entire game and the towers themselves are generally built to be a meaningful and unique challenge to scale (outside of a few 'normal' ones)

weird nazi gloves man is not worth anyone's time anyway, never really has been

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

I like it because it's really good storytelling

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
God drat this giant horse. I was running through Faron and an octorok pops up. He spits out a rock it bounces off my horse's face and kills the octorock. Do not mess with this guy.

Edit: Oh gently caress. I went to kill another one and one in the water spit a rock and murdered the one I was going for. This game is savage AF.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Could someone point me in the right direction to the Barbarian Pants and where the horse fairy is

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

God drat this giant horse. I was running through Faron and an octorok pops up. He spits out a rock it bounces off my horse's face and kills the octorock. Do not mess with this guy.

Edit: Oh gently caress. I went to kill another one and one in the water spit a rock and murdered the one I was going for. This game is savage AF.

Try setting a bomb in front of one of the suction octoroks on death mountain.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

yeah this is why the towers in Breath of the Wild are fun and interesting instead of just another checklist that gives you a secondary checklist. plus they're way less frequent than the towers in Ubisoft stuff like Assassin's Creed, there's less than 10 in the entire game and the towers themselves are generally built to be a meaningful and unique challenge to scale (outside of a few 'normal' ones)

weird nazi gloves man is not worth anyone's time anyway, never really has been

I'm starting to think you may be right with Jim.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Could someone point me in the right direction to the Barbarian Pants and where the horse fairy is

Horse God is in the south, there's a route pre-marked on your map that refers to it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/841022358190084096

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm legitimately surprised that you can get the Dark Link outfit without amiibo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I've got two days off starting tomorrow and about 20 shrines and 2 divine beasts left. Gonna try and get all that + the sidequests squared away as well as beating the game before work starts back up. What a good game.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 12, 2017