Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

:jerkbag: oh hey its the snapchap poo poo again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

OSI bean dip posted:

Weird. I wonder when Signal allowed for screenshots because it used to block attempts.

Mine still does.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Mine still does.

yeah it still does on android (though not ios because there's no api for that)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

why would it

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

bobfather posted:

You're using v4, right? Not the new, pretty v6?

Use the betas

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

fishmech posted:

why would it

Maybe the messages should just stay encrypted if we're assuming the intended recipient is hostile?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

Mine still does.

its an option in settings you can turn off on android

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

why would it

It uses a security feature of Android, if you block screenshots that means other apps can't access the screen buffer either to potentially steal decrypted messages.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pr0zac posted:

its an option in settings you can turn off on android

Oh neat I didn't know that. I barely use it tbh it's a bit of a pita for group apps

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

fishmech posted:

why would it

spankmeister posted:

It uses a security feature of Android, if you block screenshots that means other apps can't access the screen buffer either to potentially steal decrypted messages.

i guarantee you this person wasn't thinking about that

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
First the CIA leak and now this. Signal's having a tough week when it comes to fake security issues

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

spankmeister posted:

why would android even allow this at all?

alternately: anroid lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

fishmech posted:

why would it

:mcbain:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

pseudorandom name posted:

Yeah, iOS just goes "gently caress off" if you try.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

there's a "allow app to draw over other apps" or something that apps like goog translate use to translate the content of apps. Which can be a useful feature.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

nrook posted:

First the CIA leak and now this. Signal's having a tough week when it comes to fake security issues
well the tweet above and the wsj article is from january 24,

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Because that's not what FLAG_SECURE is protecting against (because apps reading other apps windows is stupid Windows level poo poo)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apseudonym posted:

Because that's not what FLAG_SECURE is protecting against (because apps reading other apps windows is stupid Windows level poo poo)

didn't it used to be possible to overlay a transparent window over the active one and read back the composited result of your "own" window? I remember us stumbling across something like that when building the messenger chat heads, but I could be misremembering. maybe it was the opposite direction (main window could read chat heads).

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

didn't it used to be possible to overlay a transparent window over the active one and read back the composited result of your "own" window? I remember us stumbling across something like that when building the messenger chat heads, but I could be misremembering. maybe it was the opposite direction (main window could read chat heads).

Not content AFAIK, but you can abuse SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW to snag taps or mask UI but pass through taps.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spankmeister posted:

there's a "allow app to draw over other apps" or something that apps like goog translate use to translate the content of apps. Which can be a useful feature.

you have to explicitly allow this when it tries though and i seem to remember granting this permission was harder than other permissions, like it gave multiple warnings and you had to be redirected to the settings to do it

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

you have to explicitly allow this when it tries though and i seem to remember granting this permission was harder than other permissions, like it gave multiple warnings and you had to be redirected to the settings to do it

Its a special access permission so you have to manually give it to the app via Settings.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spankmeister posted:

if you have the block screenshots thing enabled, then there's no screenshot to happen and cause a reason for the "you had your message screenshotted" to happen (since any screenshots at that point are presumably using some form of elevated privileges and also probably evading simple detection.

if the app doesn't have block screenshots enabled, and the app in question doesn't, why should it notify the other party/parties on an attempt to do an allowable action?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fishmech posted:

if the app doesn't have block screenshots enabled, and the app in question doesn't, why should it notify the other party/parties on an attempt to do an allowable action?

That's a different question. The one I was talking about is why would you block screenshot ability at all. The other is why notify the other party when a screenshot does happen.

Answer to the second question is because signal has a feature that lets messages expire after a set time. Taking a screenshot would defeat that.

I'm not defending the argument btw, just answering your question.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

spankmeister posted:

hmm... turns out android doesn't have any security because people habitually have to root their devices to get updates :confused:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

akadajet posted:

hmm... turns out android doesn't have any security because people habitually have to root their devices to get updates :confused:

:frogout:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

never!

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
signal blocks screenshots for me. without knowing much about android dev it looks like they're doing the correct thing: https://github.com/WhisperSystems/S...tivity.java#L37

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

oh, the controversy is about not being notified if screenshots are taken. yeah that should happen

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

OSI bean dip posted:

Weird. I wonder when Signal allowed for screenshots because it used to block attempts.

signal blocks by default but you can allow it via the preferences

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

LinYutang posted:

oh, the controversy is about not being notified if screenshots are taken. yeah that should happen

There is no controversy, not a real one anyways. Anyone who acts shocked/concerned here is outing themselves as not knowing what they're talking about.

"Disappearing" messages doesn't mean that the content of those messages isn't available after the fact, any service that tells you otherwise is lying to you (hello early snapchat before their lawyers took down those promises). Maybe its a screenshot, maybe its the analog hole of taking a photo of the phone, maybe its just writing it the gently caress down on paper.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
"disappearing" messages mean your parents can't read them off your phone afterwards

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's a nice thing to have that will catch 99% of cases of "this guy is trying to save my dick pic" which is the point

is it actually secure and should you use it to hide from the black helicopters if you're trying to leak secret government alien autopsy results? obviously not

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
http://wololo.net/2017/03/11/nintendo-switch-already-hacked-known-vulnerability/

Oh Nintendo. :allears:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"disappearing" messages mean your parents can't read them off your phone afterwards

But it doesn't mean the other person(s) can't keep and redistribute them, so your nudes will probably still get leaked.

it's a nice thing to have that will catch 99% of cases of "this guy is trying to save my dick pic" which is the point

is it actually secure and should you use it to hide from the black helicopters if you're trying to leak secret government alien autopsy results? obviously not

Or really anyone that dislikes you in particular with a moderate level of creativity. There's more attackers than just "script kiddie throwing poo poo at the wall without a target" and "A skilled nation state adversary is going to gently caress you in particular"

e: I think the number of nudes that have leaked out of snapchat kinda discount this 99% idea.

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 13, 2017

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

yeah, this

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

That's a different question. The one I was talking about is why would you block screenshot ability at all. The other is why notify the other party when a screenshot does happen.

Answer to the second question is because signal has a feature that lets messages expire after a set time. Taking a screenshot would defeat that.

I'm not defending the argument btw, just answering your question.
to answer your first question, android didn't have screenshot functionality for the longest time. the first android screenshot apps were third-party, and required you to have rooted your phone.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

It was inevitable

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

It was inevitable

9 days, pretty drat good.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

well it's not impressive that it was hacked so much as it's embarrassing that apparently they're using an ancient version of webkit and that's how it was hacked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
reminder: apps cant know if you're screen-recording your iPhone with QuickTime (the OS will however block you from recording DRM'd video)

• Locked thread