Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

Same here.

"At the time of your death, you were listening to... Evanescene's 'Bring Me To Life'? Really dude?"

"We're assuming he committed suicide."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sunswipe posted:

"We're assuming he committed suicide."

"Either that or he couldn't wake up."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basicially this sorta worrying.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I heart bacon posted:

Yeah, they might not like it if you do.
:downsrim:

That's a great truck with quality cargo. :wotwot:

Let me tell you about my odyssey this morning to find a goddamn pencil sharpener. :negative:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Dick Trauma posted:

That's a great truck with quality cargo. :wotwot:

Let me tell you about my odyssey this morning to find a goddamn pencil sharpener. :negative:

Just trim it down with a pocket knife. You can tell everyone that you're whittlin. That's still a thing, right? Right, guys? :haw:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think my Scion xb is not the greatest of cars for a variety of reasons, but one thing it does have is an AUX and a USB port in the bottom of the little storage area between the passenger and driver seats. It's really a good little feature.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

spog posted:

I have a dashcam in my car.

One of my fears is that it will record my death and people will learn what poo poo music I listen to.

Kwyndig posted:

Probably both. Manufacturers are terribly bad at security.
We put a chip in it!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

This is a link to "Internet of poo poo" on Twitter because your link isn't cynical enough. :nws: because of the name (surprisingly little actual feces though).

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of "obsolete" tech and listening to music at work, I'm considering buying something that will let me get FM radio at work. Let me break this down a little and then maybe throw me some links to suggested devices?

- I work outdoors, music will be played primarily in a golf cart.
- So it's gotta be portable and preferably have some kind of strap or hook option. Although I do have bags with pouches so this isn't 100% necessary.
- Rechargeable battery would be best but AA or AAA is OK too since I have those in rechargeable form. Theoretically, maybe I could go up to Cs. USB rechargeable + swappable battery would be ideal, probably.
- I already have speakers so I probably only need a receiver unit with line out. I suppose if there's a good unit with a speaker in it that's particularly loud and has line in I could change over though.
- HD radio worth it? Would be nice probably? I dunno. I know at least one station I like does it.
- Nice if it can stand being rained on a little bit once in awhile.

Technically the old mp3 players I use now can get FM radio, but they use that thing where your headphones are your antenna, and I'm using them via line out to a speaker, which doesn't work for antenna purposes. I suppose if there's a thing I can buy that lets me somehow hook up an antenna cord and a line out at the same time that would solve the problem, but I've yet to see such a contraption.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Aren't you literally just asking for a portable FM radio? I think maybe that problem's been solved already.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Doesn't the line out cable work as an antenna too?

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah it also, I believe, includes YouTube red which eliminates ads on any platform. I have the family plan for myself, my wife, and my best friend, so each of our accounts is separate but paid by the same bill.

Don't forget about the awesome Red exclusive content! I don't think I've watched any of it. Is there any of that stuff that's actually worth watching? But yeah, ad free YouTube is still a really perk with Google music. I've never bothered trying to upload anything from my library because pretty much everything I want to listen to is available. I still have my ancient iPod classic loaded up with all my weird stuff that I can't find to stream.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Just get a jobsite radio. They are compact, waterproof, durable, loud, have their own speakers, have an aux in and run on a drill battery.

I just picked up a ryobi p740 at a garage sale for $3. Mainly to use at the drivein to keep from killing my car battery over 2 movies. They rent the exact same radios for $10 in the concession stand as 90% of the pole speakers are broken.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wylie posted:

Aren't you literally just asking for a portable FM radio? I think maybe that problem's been solved already.

I mean you'd think so but then I search on amazon and it's kind of a giant crapshoot so I dunno what the hell. Obviously I'd prefer to find something that fits well into my current "ecosystem" of speakers, cables, batteries, and powerbanks but yeah.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Doesn't the line out cable work as an antenna too?

I tried it like 50 different ways with different cables, splitters, little 3.5mm antennas, no dice.

my turn in the barrel posted:

Just get a jobsite radio. They are compact, waterproof, durable, loud, have their own speakers, have an aux in and run on a drill battery.

I just picked up a ryobi p740 at a garage sale for $3. Mainly to use at the drivein to keep from killing my car battery over 2 movies. They rent the exact same radios for $10 in the concession stand as 90% of the pole speakers are broken.

Yeah I might end up doing something like this eventually.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If your speakers take line in input, why would you want to listen to FM radio? Last I tried, they played the same 100 songs. And that was with commercials every 1, 2, or 3 songs.

Also, hi Cryomancer!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
NPR :mad:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

This is the correct answer

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hi IUG.

Yeah mostly for my semi local community radio station.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

Hi IUG.

Yeah mostly for my semi local community radio station.

Can probably stream it on your phone

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Places where employees get around by golf cart don’t alway have the best Internet access.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I had for a while a Nokia windows phone that could use a plugged-in headphone wire as a radio receiver, it was neat. I had very spotty home wifi at the time so being able to pick up radio was actually a v. useful feature.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nokia 5800 xpressmusic?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nokia 5800 xpressmusic?

It was more common not long ago, apparently because bluetooth receivers generally get AM and FM so all you needed was some app to make them work. Apparently the Samsung Galaxy S4 was the first to not have that feature.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
The Alcatel A466BG Tracfone I got from Rite Aid has an FM radio in it that needs headphones plugged in. It can play through the speaker via a toggle in the radio app it comes with.

http://tracfoneusermanual.com/alcatel-pixi-unite-a466bg-review/

Not a bad phone for the $30 it cost me.

Apparently most Smartphones have the capability to tune FM but it's locked out in software to make you use more data:

The Hidden FM Radio Inside Your Pocket, And Why You Can't Use It
http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2015/04/16/400178385/the-hidden-fm-radio-inside-your-pocket-and-why-you-cant-use-it

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Interestingly low budget phones seem to have the FM radio activated more often than more expensive phones.
The Moto G4 Play and the Huawei P8 lite both have FM radio.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
My Zune HD has radio.

How is that for obsolete technology.

It is an amazing piece of design and technology, with absolutely zero market.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Places where employees get around by golf cart don’t alway have the best Internet access.

Bingo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

evobatman posted:

My Zune HD has radio.

How is that for obsolete technology.

It is an amazing piece of design and technology, with absolutely zero market.

The Zune sucked

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Don't forget about the awesome Red exclusive content! I don't think I've watched any of it. Is there any of that stuff that's actually worth watching? But yeah, ad free YouTube is still a really perk with Google music. I've never bothered trying to upload anything from my library because pretty much everything I want to listen to is available. I still have my ancient iPod classic loaded up with all my weird stuff that I can't find to stream.

Guys hit me up on Google+ and let me know some good Youtube Red content. Google has whiffed at everything but a search engine and even that's become a weird mess. I almost go to duckduckgo by default now. I guess Android is :cool: though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Last Chance posted:

The Zune sucked

How do you say, umm...

Suck my dick you fuckman.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

How do you say, umm...

Suck my dick you fuckman.

"That sounds like a great plan, Jenkins! The management team will review your ideas in the upcoming meeting. You are a valuable asset to the team! Keep up the great work!"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zune >>>> iPod Classic

thousands of people who never saw, let alone used one posted:

The Zune sucked

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I got a free Zune back when you could get bots to play those MS web games for points. The Zune desktop software was really good (so good that I used it as my music player for years after the Zune was gone).

The Zune itself, was pretty good too. I had only used an iPod a few times before and never saw what was so great about it. Zune had a nice UI, was responsive, never had any crashed or other issues...

Except for December 31 2008... All Zunes stopped functioning for 24 hours that day because it was a leap year..

Here is the actual code responsible for the bug

code:
year = ORIGINYEAR; /* = 1980 */

while (days > 365)
{
    if (IsLeapYear(year))
    {
        if (days > 366)
        {
            days -= 366;
            year += 1;
        }
    }
    else
    {
        days -= 365;
        year += 1;
    }
}
See the problem? The if (days > 366) doesn't have an else condition.

Lowen SoDium has a new favorite as of 14:13 on Mar 15, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah took me a second but when days = 366 exactly it'd just keep while looping forever lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Zune >>>> iPod Classic

my gf had one and the battery died after a year and it never woke up again. My iPod 5th gen from 2006 still works

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
The Zune loving owned. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Zune was almost certainly terrible but the only people with firsthand experience were people who ignored that reputation and made the bad decision to purchase one anyway.

Keep squirting, you crazy diamonds.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Listen I had one of these for a long-rear end time:

A Zune would have been heaven compared to that.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I knew a friend who had a really boxy MP3 player. It was a little bigger than an old Walkman cassette player and had the iPod green and black screen. You had to use a rocker switch to scroll your selections and push it in to confirm.

I really wish I knew what model it was bc it was a cool looking thing to have. It looked like someone's concept of a cyberpunk MP3 player in contrast to Apple's minimalist design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Action Tortoise posted:

I knew a friend who had a really boxy MP3 player. It was a little bigger than an old Walkman cassette player and had the iPod green and black screen. You had to use a rocker switch to scroll your selections and push it in to confirm.

I really wish I knew what model it was bc it was a cool looking thing to have. It looked like someone's concept of a cyberpunk MP3 player in contrast to Apple's minimalist design.

Sounds like something from the Creative Zen line.