Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if it's unusual or not, but for the big...uh...choice following that section, I took the third option blind to the outcome. So I'll see what that does.

Which means (BIG SPOILERS) I did not erase Pascal's memories, nor kill him. I left him to live with it. Human beings do not have the luxury of choosing to forget bad memories. His death won't bring anyone back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Route C A2 side Pascal :smith: Can I just... leave and not kill him or anything?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm not sure if it's unusual or not, but for the big...uh...choice following that section, I took the third option blind to the outcome. So I'll see what that does.

Which means (BIG SPOILERS) I did not erase Pascal's memories, nor kill him. I left him to live with it. Human beings do not have the luxury of choosing to forget bad memories. His death won't bring anyone back.

Man, you guys are cold as ice.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dazat posted:

Without memories, you cannot grow.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Please tell me this game stays crazy. Beat the 2nd boss then some poo poo went down and I've been wtfing so hard. Does it stay this insane?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

queeb posted:

Please tell me this game stays crazy. Beat the 2nd boss then some poo poo went down and I've been wtfing so hard. Does it stay this insane?

Haha

I finished the game like a hour or two ago and I'm still loving shaken. It's great.

dazat posted:

Big ol spoilers for C

Deleting memories felt wrong as it deletes who he was and all the good memories as well as the bad. As 2B shouted earlier He'll be alive but it won't be the same him. Killing him would be the same really. Both erase the being we've come to know as Pascal just with different words.

What happened was tragic and hilariously hosed up beyond belief but I kinda thought A2 was starting to lighten up and in my mind Pascal still has his android buddies to help him recover. That's why I didn't want to kill him, he still has friends.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 12, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

He's a machine. The game definitively states that machines never do anything differently. (When 9S is knocked out after the big robot). When they restart, they do the same thing over and over without changing it. He doesn't possess the ability to learn from it, so he can't grow. Wiping him at least leaves him as a blank slate without knowledge.

And as a whole, he did nothing wrong and deserves mercy entirely, be it through death or wiping. If he's doomed to repeat it with or without memories, it's better to be without them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He's a machine. The game definitively states that machines never do anything differently. (When 9S is knocked out after the big robot). When they restart, they do the same thing over and over without changing it. He doesn't possess the ability to learn from it, so he can't grow. Wiping him at least leaves him as a blank slate without knowledge.

And as a whole, he did nothing wrong and deserves mercy entirely, be it through death or wiping. If he's doomed to repeat it with or without memories, it's better to be without them.

I took it as a collective failure, not just a single one. Machine 1 starts a dictatorship and dies, it fails. Machine 2 starts a dictatorship, it fails the same way Machine 1 did.

Pascal who's severed from the network is written in a way that made me think that he wouldn't try to make another town. Maybe a second machine will get the same idea but Pascal wouldn't because he doesn't want the heartbreak that came to him to happen once again. A network wasn't going to tell him "hey build another city." He was his own person.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I took it as a collective failure, not just a single one. Machine 1 starts a dictatorship and dies, it fails. Machine 2 starts a dictatorship, it fails the same way Machine 1 did.

Pascal who's severed from the network is written in a way that made me think that he wouldn't try to make another town. Maybe a second machine will get the same idea but Pascal wouldn't because he doesn't want the heartbreak that came to him to happen once again. A network wasn't going to tell him "hey build another city." He was his own person.

Why were his villagers still connected to the network anyways? I erased his memory because idk there was a 3rd option not to and let him live.

The best chips are auto-loot and movement speed 20% this cut down on the backtracking a lot. Also how to jump b/t pillars in forest zone? I just can't reach it and I swear +evade is only for battles.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There are no good options but not erasing his memories/mercy killing him is easily the cruelest choice you can make. Yeah, let that nice robot who never did anything wrong suffer overwhelming agony and despair because even though he'll never get his village or his children back he might grow as a person...? Maybe?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What happened was tragic and hilariously hosed up beyond belief but I kinda thought A2 was starting to lighten up and in my mind Pascal still has his android buddies to help him recover. That's why I didn't want to kill him, he still has friends.

His friends only survive in Ending E and that's assuming he doesn't just commit suicide on his own before then; someone told me he doesn't show up in Ending D if you abandoned him, same as if you had killed him.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
This thread is a nightmare of spoilertext but I need to dip in to ask: Is it meant to be very hard to upgrade pods and weapons your first time through? I'm at the Flooded City battle right now and even picking up everything I can and with my droprate jacked way up I've barely upgraded anything.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pretty much. It's a shame because they actually do.even cooler stuff once upgraded

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pierson posted:

This thread is a nightmare of spoilertext but I need to dip in to ask: Is it meant to be very hard to upgrade pods and weapons your first time through? I'm at the Flooded City battle right now and even picking up everything I can and with my droprate jacked way up I've barely upgraded anything.

Yep.
In fact, I think it's next to impossible thanks to how scans work to fully upgrade them all without completing a quest which requires 95% of enemy intel to have been collected, which means done with the game.

You can upgrade Pod A within a pretty reasonable timeframe though. Highly doubtful it's possible before the end of ending B though. (Haven't personally tried though so YMMV)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I wish Yoko Taro played less Dark Souls. 25 hours into the game and I've finally died without being able to pick up my body.
But I'm well past a point-of-no-return so I have no way to get stock up on chips again before starting an entirely new route.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

HellCopter posted:

I wish Yoko Taro played less Dark Souls. 25 hours into the game and I've finally died without being able to pick up my body.
But I'm well past a point-of-no-return so I have no way to get stock up on chips again before starting an entirely new route.

Just reload your save? You should be saving frequently and death returns you to the save point you should have hit anyway.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Do we know how the PC port is shaping up? I'm pretty tempted to hit the preorder button on GMG and I want to think Platinum has a good track record of PC ports, but it never hurts to be a bit more informed.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Ending C got.

I think some initial streamers and stuff complaining about the game's length are getting tripped up by the A-route ending, this game basically is twice that length and hoo boy...

It's just loving great, it really is. Has anyone else been noticing a TON of Dark Souls references? The "recover your corpse" gameplay conceit is one thing, but there's a lot of Souls-like gameplay concepts at work. I found a hidden area at the bottom of what I thought was a bottomless pit, and another pseudo hidden route that I discovered because I thought it looked similar to another Souls-like route...

I'm not complaining remotely, it's great to see Dark Souls of all games influence a modern ARPG. This game does such wonders for the genre that it should be made the new gold standard as to how to implement RPG mechanics into an action combat engine.

As a fan of Platinum games, I love how much Platinum DNA is in this title. Some of the enemy types are recognizable from Bayonetta, others feel akin to Transformers, and the run and gun/hack and slash mechanics are as excellent as you'd expect from the studio.

EDIT: In terms of...uh...further endings, is there still more? Is there a definitive "endgame" I still need to reach?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 12, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Do we know how the PC port is shaping up? I'm pretty tempted to hit the preorder button on GMG and I want to think Platinum has a good track record of PC ports, but it never hurts to be a bit more informed.

We don't really know anything other than it's locked to 1080p/60 fps max.
Although 3 out of 4 Platinum's PC ports were all pretty good.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

EDIT: In terms of...uh...further endings, is there still more? Is there a definitive "endgame" I still need to reach?

Yes. Endings D and E are the last remaining, real endings. E is the true final ending too (and oh boy is it something).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god. That ending sequence.

I teared up when it all went down.

ENDING SPOILERS

When I learned that the people who came and saved me had to sacrifice their save data to do it, it legit made me cry. I haven't been so affected by a video game ending since Undertale. What an incredible way to go. By the end, I felt like there was only one thing I could do to repay that kindness, those people who came and helped me when I needed it.

I mean, I don't know what to say exactly, but it's so perfect. It's absolutely wonderful. I've never felt such a heartfelt gratitude at the end of a game, not in a long while at least.

Nier: Automata is truly a masterpiece.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Man, just beat it. Endings a-e, and a spattering of others. Game good.

I'm a little bit lost on where to start with post-game stuff, though. Is it reasonable to find all the quests/weapons/endings without looking up a guide online?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so here's where I'm at: Just beat Adam in the Copied City and rescued 9S. How far in am I at? I'm actually really anxious that the game doesn't get crazy until the next 4 playthroughs. It started slow though I admit that it picked up huge with the the Castle kingdom run and the Flooded City titan battle and loved the underground battle.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Is there an archive of the dev stream that happened like a week ago? I heard that plans for DLCs were talked about there but I wanna find the source

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I only just got to the Forest Zone... should I just not bother with side quests, or do they carry over into future playthroughs so I don't have to do all of them over again?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

So with Nioh finished I decided to start this game on Hard mode.

I died to the first pack of enemies because of stupid carelessness and laughed at the ending I got.

I got father in the next attempt but died and became slightly annoyed by getting sent back to the start of the game, unskippable cutscenes and all.

Third attempt I discover healing items and get to the boss, who proceeds to kill me in one hit from full health which then, of course sends me back 30 minutes to the start of the game.

I switched to normal mode and beat the first area and would like to switch to hard mode for the rest of the game because I enjoyed the challenge; just not being sent back a half an hour for a single mistake. Is there any point in the rest of the game where I have to worry about being sent so far back for screwing up ONCE in hard mode?

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 12, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trick Question posted:

I'm a little bit lost on where to start with post-game stuff, though. Is it reasonable to find all the quests/weapons/endings without looking up a guide online?

Quests yes, the other stuff no in my opinion. There are a lot of secrets that would be unreasonable for the average person to find. For weapons, for non-spoilery examples one requires you to fish it up in a random location with no hint, one requires you to find it via scanning in a random location with no hint and some of the joke endings are extremely obscure

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game's story is really good, and it touches on a whole variety of themes in really interesting ways. Even moreso than its predecessor, I think Nier:Automata will be a game that really explores a wide range of very deep human emotions and concepts. Full game spoilers from here on out:

The fact that the war between the androids and machines is blatantly pointless is a clear statement on Taro's overall sentiments towards war and violence. There is no way for this war to ever be won by anybody, and at the point where the game begins the only people invested in maintaining the battle are the Commander and the leaders of the Machine Network. Average Machines, and an increasing amount of disconnected machines, do not care about the war and understand it even less than the androids do.

I think it's very interesting that the alien-built machines want to try and imitate humans, not their alien masters. In fact, there's barely any evidence of alien culture in the design or behavior of the machine lifeforms, to the point where had we not seen actual dead aliens in an alien spaceship, I'd be truly skeptical that there even WERE aliens. The alien invasion seems to be a very overt red herring, but I can't help but feel like there's a larger message being made here. Humanity going extinct is blamed on Devola and Popola, even though I had thought it was Grimoire Weiss's failure to merge with his counterpart that was the actual Big gently caress Up in Nier 1. Still, if the stated canon is the canon to be taken to heart, you can argue that both the machines and the androids inevitably killed their creators.

It ties in with the opening statement about killing God. If you look at life and death as a problem of being perpetually trapped in a bleak and pointless world, then the presence of a supreme being who oversees that, your creator, would be an intolerable offense. It's a kind of Buddhist concept gone to a murderous degree. Both the machines and the androids actually killed their god, and the result is them both living aimless lives whose only meaning seems to come from conflict. Even though we see that peace rejectinand harmony can function, ultimately both sides choose war and die for it.

It seems clear that the machines are self-replicating, so even with the destruction of the Tower I have no reason to doubt that the machine race will continue to exist on Earth as its new dominant species. Interestingly, now that A2 has created a schism in the Machine Network, will that ultimately create the cycle of war and violence anew? If so, that's kind of hilarious--even without the androids, the machines are quite capable of sustaining this state of eternal war forever.

I think that's what makes Pascal such a heartbreaking figure, because he represents an eventual hope that the machines could change from within. The fact that he is ultimately betrayed by his own kind, not by androids, is significant. Also, he detests violence, but in a fiery need to protect the children of his tribe, he embraces bloodshed and actively seeks to kill, but the reward for his violence is only more death. Indeed, he may be right to blame himself: the children's last sight of their beloved Uncle Pascal was him shouting that he would smash and kill all their enemies. Their whole world has been destroyed, and the one constant source of peace in their world has gone berserk. By rejecting his principles, Pascal loses everything he had worked to build.

I think that's why it's fitting to leave him to live with it. It's a pity the game treats this as a "bad" state, since there's no scene to follow-up on that choice. I wonder if there will be a DLC in that regard?

Either way, that's just the tip of the iceburg. This game is incredible, the storytelling especially so, and it elegantly explores a variety of themes and concepts without feeling heavy-handed.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I would say that if you are consistent about saving often, you should only ever lose 5-10 minutes at most. And past the intro, you continue after death, but you have to retrieve your body to get your equipped chips.

Just beat ending A. Excited for more weird things to come. Clocked in around 17 hours taking my time and completing over 40% of the side quests.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I only just got to the Forest Zone... should I just not bother with side quests, or do they carry over into future playthroughs so I don't have to do all of them over again?

Completion is permanent. If they're shared (generally speaking, 2B and 9S both talk during it would mean it's a shared quest but not always true), you can let it fail and then do it on playthrough 2 if you don't want to do it now.
As a rule of thumb, do quests as a priority for named, significant characters because they can influence dialogue later on. You can find some of them on the bunker if you've not been back much.

Once you have chapter select, you can just jump around and do them.

Trick Question posted:

It's not unreasonable but you're probably best off just googling things you want to find at this point.

MinibarMatchman posted:

so here's where I'm at: Just beat Adam in the Copied City and rescued 9S. How far in am I at? I'm actually really anxious that the game doesn't get crazy until the next 4 playthroughs. It started slow though I admit that it picked up huge with the the Castle kingdom run and the Flooded City titan battle and loved the underground battle.

Final quarter/fifth of playthru 1. The next playthrough won't be as long and poo poo hits the fan after that

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is why Yoko Taro is the best :allears:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

They patched the bug that made opened chests and picked up items carry to new save files, but I don't think they entirely fixed the problem for items you have to scan for. I started a new playthrough and some still show up (for large amounts of money or rare items), but many are missing. Like I haven't found a single one in all of the city ruins. If after having completed the game you decide to start over again, it's probably a good idea to delete your system data first.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's astonishingly heartfelt for being relentlessly depressing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This game's story is really good, and it touches on a whole variety of themes in really interesting ways. Even moreso than its predecessor, I think Nier:Automata will be a game that really explores a wide range of very deep human emotions and concepts. Full game spoilers from here on out:

The fact that the war between the androids and machines is blatantly pointless is a clear statement on Taro's overall sentiments towards war and violence. There is no way for this war to ever be won by anybody, and at the point where the game begins the only people invested in maintaining the battle are the Commander and the leaders of the Machine Network. Average Machines, and an increasing amount of disconnected machines, do not care about the war and understand it even less than the androids do.

I think it's very interesting that the alien-built machines want to try and imitate humans, not their alien masters. In fact, there's barely any evidence of alien culture in the design or behavior of the machine lifeforms, to the point where had we not seen actual dead aliens in an alien spaceship, I'd be truly skeptical that there even WERE aliens. The alien invasion seems to be a very overt red herring, but I can't help but feel like there's a larger message being made here. Humanity going extinct is blamed on Devola and Popola, even though I had thought it was Grimoire Weiss's failure to merge with his counterpart that was the actual Big gently caress Up in Nier 1. Still, if the stated canon is the canon to be taken to heart, you can argue that both the machines and the androids inevitably killed their creators.

It ties in with the opening statement about killing God. If you look at life and death as a problem of being perpetually trapped in a bleak and pointless world, then the presence of a supreme being who oversees that, your creator, would be an intolerable offense. It's a kind of Buddhist concept gone to a murderous degree. Both the machines and the androids actually killed their god, and the result is them both living aimless lives whose only meaning seems to come from conflict. Even though we see that peace rejectinand harmony can function, ultimately both sides choose war and die for it.

It seems clear that the machines are self-replicating, so even with the destruction of the Tower I have no reason to doubt that the machine race will continue to exist on Earth as its new dominant species. Interestingly, now that A2 has created a schism in the Machine Network, will that ultimately create the cycle of war and violence anew? If so, that's kind of hilarious--even without the androids, the machines are quite capable of sustaining this state of eternal war forever.

I think that's what makes Pascal such a heartbreaking figure, because he represents an eventual hope that the machines could change from within. The fact that he is ultimately betrayed by his own kind, not by androids, is significant. Also, he detests violence, but in a fiery need to protect the children of his tribe, he embraces bloodshed and actively seeks to kill, but the reward for his violence is only more death. Indeed, he may be right to blame himself: the children's last sight of their beloved Uncle Pascal was him shouting that he would smash and kill all their enemies. Their whole world has been destroyed, and the one constant source of peace in their world has gone berserk. By rejecting his principles, Pascal loses everything he had worked to build.

I think that's why it's fitting to leave him to live with it. It's a pity the game treats this as a "bad" state, since there's no scene to follow-up on that choice. I wonder if there will be a DLC in that regard?

Either way, that's just the tip of the iceburg. This game is incredible, the storytelling especially so, and it elegantly explores a variety of themes and concepts without feeling heavy-handed.

Nice comments. When the promo material for the game hammered on the futility theme over and over I thought I knew what to expect, but I really enjoyed how they continuously pulled the rug out to make the conflict just more and more mind bogglingly pointless at every turn.

In general I really admire this game's restraint compared to the first, which was of course great but really beat you over the head with the themes. They only went Full Yoko with the Pascal children sequence- other than that they show a lot of trust that the audience will pick up on how comically and cosmically horrible the situation is by showing without telling.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

lets hang out posted:

They patched the bug that made opened chests and picked up items carry to new save files, but I don't think they entirely fixed the problem for items you have to scan for. I started a new playthrough and some still show up (for large amounts of money or rare items), but many are missing. Like I haven't found a single one in all of the city ruins. If after having completed the game you decide to start over again, it's probably a good idea to delete your system data first.

I haven't found any rare items using the scanner in the desert zone for historical artefacts yet. I figured they must be just good at hiding but I'm not motivated enough to search the entire area for one quest.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Alder posted:

I haven't found any rare items using the scanner in the desert zone for historical artefacts yet. I figured they must be just good at hiding but I'm not motivated enough to search the entire area for one quest.

I had a harder time than I did the first time but I did find all of them, they're in predetermined places but you might need to return ones you've found to the quest giver before the next shows up.

it's a hassle to look up where they are but the reward is very worth it, spear of the usurper is a fantastic weapon for 9S

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 12, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Is there any crafting purpose to Mechanical Cores or can I really sell them?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they aren't used for anything, sell them

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So does play through 2 diverge from play through 1 at and point? I just got to the desert and I don't think playing as 9S is nearly as fun as 2B.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 12, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Avoiding the thread since it's a field of spoiler text and I just started the game today, but do you have to do anything to make chips active after you buy them? At the first shop I bought ones to increase melee resistance, increase health and increase damage, but do I have to activate them in any way or are they active by just being in my inventory?

Also it took me an hour and forty-five minutes to discover I could double jump. :v:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

So does play through 2 diverge from play through 1 at and point? I just got to the desert and I don't think playing as 9S is nearly as fun as 2B.

I guess I spoke too soon. Things just started getting weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

Avoiding the thread since it's a field of spoiler text and I just started the game today, but do you have to do anything to make chips active after you buy them? At the first shop I bought ones to increase melee resistance, increase health and increase damage, but do I have to activate them in any way or are they active by just being in my inventory?

Also it took me an hour and forty-five minutes to discover I could double jump. :v:

Go to Skills. You have to manually equip them. If you need more slots, there's a guy in the Resistance camp that upgrades your slots.