Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I think in the 3ds games?

It's been that way in any game where Impulse is Lunamaria's unit more than Shinn's basically, though Blast gets the short end of the stick there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

I think in the 3ds games?

edit: Also like the first half of G-Reco is mostly water-based so it'd be good to pair it with some stuff with a similar setting so you could have some mechs with decent water ratings. and give you getter early so you can have musashi/benkei. maybe rinne no lagrange would fit?

Lol if you think Getter will be put on any water routes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Lol if you think Getter will be put on any water routes.
i want to believe

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

This is the last I will say anything on this topic, because if you don't understand after this point there's no hope:

Do you know what dogwhistle racism is? My point was that the first 4-5 episodes of G-Reco were full of dogwhistle sexism (which caused me to stop watching after that point). The show as a whole was sexist, and most people seem to agree. The problem is that posters cherry-picked phrases out of my statements in an attempt to discredit me, which worked perfectly and continues to work to this day. I pointed out how hosed up it is that even the expert women characters were powerless in the face of amateur male characters, from things like an unarmed training grunt flown by a first-timer taking out a space pirate leader piloting a Gundam to how virtually every character with 2 X chromosomes was either in a cheerleader uniform or crying. In fact, it may be literally every one-- it's been a while since I last saw the show. These were not the only examples in the show neither were they the only examples I provided at the time.

The show had a ton of problems visible from the outset, but between being pushed by overly defensive goons and poor wording on my part the actual subject matter got divorced from the content. I was right about the show being bad, I was right about the ways in which the show was gonna be bad (with a single exception*), and isolating instances of me trying to drill the idea of "Hey, context and presentation are very real things, just look at people defending this other show which is about real, actual rape used for entertainment" into idiots as some vague attempt to insult me only makes you look like a Trump voter.

*The part where I was wrong was on the topic of the horse blinders on the G-Self. I was shown wrong on episode 3 that G-Reco doesn't care about visibility as a concept, demonstrated by Bellri shooting with pinpoint accuracy with his monitors off and only viewport blocked by his own shield. I'll file that right next to "brain damage from oxygen deprivation wears off over time."

You're right, and that was hosed up of me! Something about the atmosphere here makes me speak like I'm much more immature than I should be. I'm trying to work on it, but I get tempted into extreme wording when people troll me, which happens all the time. After so many years online I should have learned that facts don't drive discussion (example: anybody saying I play 40k in the last 8 years).

sir, this is a taco bell drive thru

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i barely remember any action in Lagrange being underwater, just that sometimes there were some things that were in said water. ofc i think they'd give Voxes high water rankings just because (i mean if nothing else Aura was just sitting underwater for god knows how long and suffered no ill effects), and Madoka, aka some kind of volunteer lifeguard and quite possibly the mecha protagonist who is the best at swimming, would be good at water too

i imagine G-Self's packs will mostly be attacks, yeah, they're by and large gimmick equipment. it'll probably get the Atmospheric pack early on so as to fly, and the Perfect might be its late-game upgrade form or it might just be a finisher. as for Barbatos they'll probably just do most every form since most of them do the same thing but slightly altered, only a few of the early ones have major changes going on. maybe they'll skip one here or there, i dunno. honestly I don't see Reconguista being in one of their high-budget games, it might get a similar treatment to AGE, but IBO's pretty drat popular (though for obvious reasons IBO and AGE go well together)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I really see them doing what the marketing did and go Form 1>Form 4>Form 6>Lupus instead of doing every form.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I kinda would prefer IBO to happen in a game with OYW, but I think it would work better during Zeta.

If you do Zeta, just make it that Garma is alive and Char didn't get him killed or something but he joined Char or something I don't know. I just need that Char + Garma vs McGills + Gaelio. (Give Garma the ponytail he has in Gihren's Greed too.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I want to apologize for being a dick about not liking G-Reco because boy did I just see the most extreme version of that play out

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I hate G-Reco but not as much as I hate how this line of discussion is going.

Anyways, so I just got the Penelope and that forced me to finally adopt my final party composition. Marida in the Penelope (maxed out immediately, weapons and all, +1 power parts slot, gravity wave antenna, gunfight supporter, and minovsky drive), and slapped every single skill program I've been saving up onto her. And then set her loose in mission 41.

The only thing she didn't one shot were the bosses. This includes battleships. The bosses took a whole two hits instead of just one.

There isn't a :kheldragar: big enough

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 12, 2017

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I will share a short video to illuminate us and keep this thread from getting as stupid, hateful, and spergy as the Retrogame threads get: https://youtu.be/0la5DBtOVNI

Know that to be true and let it guide you to Valhalla shiny and chrome. Bonus points if Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile takes you there. :3:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the only thing i can say as to my enjoyment of Reco is that I personally think a good story makes sure there's a clear primary conflict that anyone can sum up in a sentence or two, and self-evident driving motivations for the main cast from which their character traits link to, and I really couldn't tell you off the top of my head what either of those really were in the show. it's been like a year or two and it's fuzzy but like, if you had to ask me what, at its core, the show was "about" i could only really mutter things like 'pirates' and 'the Space Vatican is run by a jerk' and 'i guess these people aren't very familiar with how to war and a lot of posts are more ceremonial'

it'll be interesting to see how that massive free for all works out in SRW, and who each of these groups throws their lot in with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the theme of the show is a bunch of morons having a war mostly because they feel like they have to have one, despite not having any idea whatsoever how to do it well or what it's about

it's a metaphor for the gundam franchise, you see

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

I can understand that. VangNex really does look more like an upgrade and it also kinda fits the tone better since you're facing a dude obsessed with speed.

VangNex definitely looks like a legitimate upgrade.

But in my head canon, Nine picked GranVang for Chitose because Chitose is secretly a super robot pilot that would do better with strategies consisting of "run up to robot, punch robot really hard" than crazy speed maneuvers.

And it worked out, because gently caress speed, I'm going to kick a giant energy ball at you for causal 20k damage.

Edit: Cross Ange seems like a pretty lovely time, but to be honest... *Stage 40 spoilers and probably a relationship spoiler for the show* Hilda's confession of love for Ange, Ange not turning her down, and Setsuna essentially eavesdropping and telling Tusk to gently caress off or get in a three-way was actually kind of sweet, even though Hilda... was not a good human being early in the game.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 12, 2017

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
I can't say I hate any of the Cross Ange characters so far. Only Tusk was kinda dumb in his scenario on the island, but otherwise, it all seems really tame in the game compared to what I've read. Hilda, Rosalie, and Chris are my favorite characters so far. :shrug: (Remember, I also like Hathaway, don't hate Katz or Quess, so I may be just crazy).

Also, I just love Ryoma in this game so much. Letting you swap out the songs so system events play with your custom music is great. Maybe I should use DRAGON instead of HEATS at some point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the lesbian stuff in cross ange is shockingly well done really. like there's lots of pervy shots of hilda loving rosalia and chris but it's never presented as a bad thing for them to be doing, it informs their characters, and they're all consenting adults, which is a pretty low bar to clear but still puts it above like 98% of lesbian scenes in mecha anime, and the second half of cross ange shows that rosalie and chris were mostly just using hilda as an excuse to be with each other because neither of them were very outgoing or brave people, which is a surprising amount of nuance about weird sexual dynamics for a show that opens the way it does.

there's like a 10/10 show with something really powerful to say about women in mecha anime somewhere in cross ange. unfortunately, it also gets really hamfisted in places and tusk exists. (i dont even mind tusk as a character or as a love interest for ange, but the island of titty gags wasn't a great time). also embryo is a great villain but the way he's used in the show gets really weird.

edit: Also Hilda is character of the year all years. Salia's pretty great too. If you use Salia and don't make her finisher a magical girl anime opening, you're a monster. Her va was even Sayaka in Madoka.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 13, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

sir, this is a taco bell drive thru
Thank you for this.

edit: I can't say its inappropriate to discuss robot anime in a SRW thread but come on...just a little bit less wall-of-text seriously about things that will probably never get into SRW in a meaningful way? Please?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 13, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Endorph posted:

there's like a 10/10 show with something really powerful to say about women in mecha anime somewhere in cross ange. unfortunately, it also gets really hamfisted in places and tusk exists. (i dont even mind tusk as a character or as a love interest for ange, but the island of titty gags wasn't a great time). also embryo is a great villain but the way he's used in the show gets really weird.

edit: Also Hilda is character of the year all years. Salia's pretty great too. If you use Salia and don't make her finisher a magical girl anime opening, you're a monster. Her va was even Sayaka in Madoka.

Haven't watched any Cross Ange or payed Tusk much attention elsewhere. What does he have going for him? Is he literally just a generic Nice Guy protagonist?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HitTheTargets posted:

Haven't watched any Cross Ange or payed Tusk much attention elsewhere. What does he have going for him? Is he literally just a generic Nice Guy protagonist?

He's not the protagonist but he's basically a generic nice guy protagonist shoved into a love interest slot he neither earns nor justifies, is remarkably unlikable, and spends most of him time falling into Ange's breasts.

There is the faintest hint of an interesting idea in putting the Generic Protagonist in the role of the overshadowed love interest (right down to him getting a pink repairing mecha in V) except Tusk is so incredibly unlikable without actually being told to gently caress off.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Endorph posted:

the theme of the show is a bunch of morons having a war mostly because they feel like they have to have one, despite not having any idea whatsoever how to do it well or what it's about

it's a metaphor for the gundam franchise, you see

Also a metaphor for the current Japanese political landscape because Tomino is a bitter old leftist (and my spirit animal).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He's not the protagonist and his biggest contributions are having a swordfight with embryo (that he loses) and sucking venom out of ange's leg, he actually isn't around that much nor does he accomplish much, which makes it easier for me to accept him since he isn't overpowering the show or ange's character arc or anything. More than that, while he is kind of blandly nice, he makes a point of letting Ange make decisions for herself and never once questions them, which is cool, and the show actually does a decent thing in the finale where Tusk fights Embryo one-on-one and Embryo acts like Tusk is the hero of the story and gets totally distracted by him while Ange actually goes around completely demolishing his plan, since she's the actual protagonist.

There's still tons of dumb sex jokes involving him falling into her boobs, mind, so he's still kind of a bad pull at the end of the day, but as an actual character in the story, when you strip it down to its basics (read: remove all the weird sex stuff mostly) he's okay. Still pretty bland but there's way worse things to be than bland. like if he had actually pushed Ange out of the main character slot.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also a metaphor for the current Japanese political landscape because Tomino is a bitter old leftist (and my spirit animal).

Yeah, I enjoyed the show but being able to frame it from this view helps make a lot of sense about what the show is actually trying to say.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Endorph posted:

Still pretty bland but there's way worse things to be than bland. like if he had actually pushed Ange out of the main character slot.

See, my fear with him is what I alluded to by calling him a Nice Guy. Like, does he cater to that segment of fedora-havers who think "I waited patiently for sex instead of showing any interest or aptitude for it. That means I deserve it most of all! :downs:". As I understand it, Embryo is that guy after some PUA lessons, so I worry Tusk is the lesser of two evils.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He never really insists on having sex with Ange and actually says that he wants to wait until they're married (tho they gently caress in the anime at a point, cause they're worried about dying in the final battle) so eh, not really. more than that he's so consistently treated as ange's sidekick by the story that i dont think that kind of guy would project onto tusk anyway.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
How many kills do pilots get on routes you don't take?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ZuljinRaynor posted:

How many kills do pilots get on routes you don't take?

IIRC 2 per stage, like if they'd been given the suborders. I'm not 100% sure though as I didn't actually check myself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm gonna loving end up watching Cross Ange aren't I

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

:getin:

For real it's a fairly sleazy show that I'd be embarrassed to admit I enjoyed to most places and people, but it has some things going for it beyond the exploitation angle.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Blockhouse posted:

really what it comes down to is 'can you handle possibly the cheapest and most poorly executed shock value in anime history at the beginning of this show'

if you're prepared for that then go ahead, i hope it has been made clear by now that while it has some extremely low lows there are also good parts that possibly make up for it depending on what kind of person you are. if nothing else it certainly isn't boring

(see i'm always hesitant to bring this show up because it was like a year-long garbage fire people kept yelling about in ADTRW, and now I am worried that will be this thread too and can only hope heads have cooled about it somewhat)

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 13, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the beginning of cross ange is incredibly stupid and tacky, but it's just a tacky use of sexual assault, not the worst thing ever put togoether by human hands. That kind of thing happens 3 times a season on game of thrones.

Not that it makes that good, or anything, and if someone shuts the show off right there I'd totally get it, but people tend to sell it like it's some unique horror visited upon the world.

and yeah, cross ange is the kind of show where you go 'what the gently caress' at how stupid it's being one second and then 'what the gently caress' the next second when it hits on something actually really interesting and executes on it surprisingly well. id never call the show good but it's got all the pieces of a great show, if that makes sense. Basically it depends on how much leeway you give a show for its best moments vs its worst moments.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 13, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean I already have a pretty good idea of what its about from playing V (even though I haven't done any of the CA routes) and all I know about the anime aside from that is the opening bits and accidental blowjobs so if I was going to flip out about it I wouldn't have decided to watch it anyway

but instead here I am! watching the first episode!

btw one little touch I really like in V's take on the show's opening is how the Celestial Being/Nadesico crew is all ah well I'm sure the princess will just flee the country and be fine! Like it shows how naive everyone outside of the founding nations is on just how deep this norma poo poo runs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite little touch is them turning all the callbacks/refs to gundam seed into actual crossover, leading to my personal favorite line

Tusk: Love Hotel Mu La Flaga? What an odd name. I can't wait to tell Athrun about this.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not sure how it ultimately plays out in V but I think one of my favorite parts in the show was how the gag about Salia's magical girl cosplay thing actually becomes pretty important foreshadowing for why she defects to Embryo.

Endorph posted:

That kind of thing happens 3 times a season on game of thrones.
It does but to be fair a lot of people have an issue with it there too. I know a lot of bloggers and podcasters and such got really mad at a certain usage of it in Season 5 and dropped the show, for example.

Now I'm not sure why that was an issue there and not the previous four seasons for them but that's beside the point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

so what's everyone's favorite dynamic kill

mine is probably the Black Selena's Distortion Attack S. The oil tears are so cheesy but I love them, and they sync incredibly well with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0frGd2Dos the jazzier parts of this song, which I'm using for Akito.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well Mazinger ZERO deciding melting off half the robot wasn't enough and disintegrating the rest with his Rust Hurricane will always be a standout.

I also like a lot of MightGaine's Dorinken DKs because they are OBARI AS gently caress.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
It's really hard to top Mazinger ZERO's, but much like Pureauthor I love the Dorinken DKs. I especially love it when both Maito and Black MightGaine declare "Evil has never flourished in this world" at the end of their DKs. Something feels right about that.

Yamato's got some nice ones, especially when it surges out of a large cloud of fire and explosion to keep on truckin'. Boatin'. Space Battleshippin'.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Ange popping out to shoot a poor soul with a rifle is almost as good as Chirico popping out to fire his handgun.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

so what's everyone's favorite dynamic kill

mine is probably the Black Selena's Distortion Attack S. The oil tears are so cheesy but I love them, and they sync incredibly well with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0frGd2Dos the jazzier parts of this song, which I'm using for Akito.

Mazinger Zero's Final Breast Fire attack is probably my favorite. I love that he ends up holding the slagged remains of whatever he killed and then proceeds to just annihilate it from there.

Zero was probably my first 10 upgrade 10 weapon unit. I thought he was totally unkillable til the second to last stage when he got obliterated on a counter in one shot by a super Potential'ed Hades with like 5% hp left. It turns out, yes, he can be killed which was a total surprise

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Its a hold over from Z3, but the Laevatein's Lambda Strike/Howlitzer dynamic kill is still my favorite. They put in work to clean that thing up and I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm going to have the agree with Mazinger Zero's. It's an absurdly good dynamic kill, especially when you do it to Baron Ashura

• Locked thread