Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I feel like no matter how much Capcom nerfs basic 2D fighting game stuff like DPs, fireballs and throws, the playerbase is still going to complain that something is too strong. Here's people complaining about stuff being + on block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I said in a video that I think nothing Urien has is too strong, and that other characters should be brought up to his level. The comments revolted and said Urien is clearly OP and needs nerfs immediately. Capcom deserves criticism for their "nerf it from orbit" approach but sometimes it seems like that's what a large portion of the audience wants.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
TBF Urien amplifies some of the game's worst traits, he epitomizes the whole "get hit the entire round and kill you as soon as you make 1 mistake and 1 wrong guess" problem that the best vtriggers in the game have. Urien is also one of the coolest designs though and it's largely in part to how strong he is through unconventional means, and he should stay that way for the most part with some minor adjustments to make him less ridiculous.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If every vt was as unique and powerful as uriens it would be a better game.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jmcrofts posted:

I said in a video that I think nothing Urien has is too strong, and that other characters should be brought up to his level. The comments revolted and said Urien is clearly OP and needs nerfs immediately. Capcom deserves criticism for their "nerf it from orbit" approach but sometimes it seems like that's what a large portion of the audience wants.

I don't think anything ANY SFV character has ever had was "too strong", but this is the road Capcom decided to take regarding balancing exactly because that's what the average Joe wants. gently caress, actual top players fan them fuckin' flames too. Just nerf everyone to the ground to make a "fair" game where everyone does the same poo poo but with slightly different animations. Then still find a way to complain because turns out Rashid gets a bit more damage off his normals.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

dhamster posted:

I feel like no matter how much Capcom nerfs basic 2D fighting game stuff like DPs, fireballs and throws, the playerbase is still going to complain that something is too strong. Here's people complaining about stuff being + on block.

Jesus loving christ! Watch Capcom make everything - on block now.
Frametraps are too difficult.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

apple posted:

TBF Urien amplifies some of the game's worst traits, he epitomizes the whole "get hit the entire round and kill you as soon as you make 1 mistake and 1 wrong guess" problem that the best vtriggers in the game have. Urien is also one of the coolest designs though and it's largely in part to how strong he is through unconventional means, and he should stay that way for the most part with some minor adjustments to make him less ridiculous.

I think the only change I would make is remove CC s.HP into cr.HP. I agree that in general in sfv the stronger v triggers are way too big of a swing, but I think usually it's because characters' options are too limited without it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm not having fun, someone else is. Instead of everyone having fun I demand NO ONE HAVE FUN!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

Amen

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Jmcrofts posted:

what the idiots want isn't healthy for the genre or the games. being accepting of poo poo peoples' poo poo opinions was a huge mistake in the past and capcom making games and media that caters to them are also mistakes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
idiots will complain about literally any and all potential changes

you never make changes around what they say, either what makes them quit or whats good for the game or some balance between the two.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Abigail? Well we got our token Final Fight character, but Damnd would have been cooler.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

https://youtu.be/DG5MfbXhnu4

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Whatever happened to the patch that was supposed to be coming in March? Did they decide not to do it?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

nickmeister posted:

Whatever happened to the patch that was supposed to be coming in March? Did they decide not to do it?

iirc it was just an announcement that theyd announce more details about the announcement for the next patch in march.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

anime was right posted:

iirc it was just an announcement that theyd announce more details about the announcement for the next patch in march.

So they lied about a patch in "early" March? Can't they just put the job on Odesk or where ever they get the freelancers to make their DLC characters?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/I_B_V_K_I/status/840402716853583873

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
do what you know is right in your hearts

https://i.gyazo.com/c087f005772e34be9a27135fd4b4a768.mp4

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

can't stop what you never started :smugdog:

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Real hurthling! posted:

well then you'd be playing ki

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

pupuru posted:

well then you'd be playing ki

Does anyone remember when Japanese was synonymous with good in the gaming world?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

nickmeister posted:

Does anyone remember when Japanese was synonymous with good in the gaming world?

domestic quality control over what kind of games to localize really helped this perceived reality to feel more real for way longer than it was true

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nekopara series is a glorious masterpiece and it alone atones the whole Japanese gaming industry of whatever few bad game they may or may not produce.
Although only highly intellectual individuals would be able to appreciate it's pathos and deep themes so I don't expect most plebs to comprehend the superior quality of Japanese culture.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
2017 has to be the best year for japanese games in at least the last decade. Yakuza, Nioh, RE7, Nier, Persona 5, Zelda, it's crazy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's about as good as last year which is to say very.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
as the world burns outside: "pretty good year for japanese video games"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, pretty much

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

as the world burns outside: "pretty good year for japanese video games"

1941 was a really good year for movies

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Trump's president but at least I have Nier and SMT

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Pomp posted:

Two nukes brought us Anime and Nier.
Imagine how many good things we'll get once Trump nukes the whole world and every country will be like Japan.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Pomp posted:

Pc dont even have nier yet thanks obama

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
How do I keep people from escaping? I watch tons of matches where I see people dashing in over and over and it seems like their opponent can't escape. What's the secret?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nickmeister posted:

How do I keep people from escaping? I watch tons of matches where I see people dashing in over and over and it seems like their opponent can't escape. What's the secret?

You're going to have to explain what you mean by "escaping". Jumping back?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Without much other info I'd suggest doing more dashing and low attacks when you get an opportunity. Making them hold down-back instead of just back keeps them in place. Who are you playing as? If you're playing someone like Zangief then you're just gonna have to accept that "getting in" is at least 1/2 of your game.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

the answer is SCARE THEM

give them something to be afraid of. if they run they die and if they are scared they sit

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you have someone cornered and they keep jumping out over you it might mean you're trying to get too close to them. Unless you're trying for specific set ups try bullying them a bit further away with longer range pokes. This makes jumping over you more difficult since they're more likely to just land on top of you and you can more easily antiair them. Of course this is harder in sfv than other games since "longer range pokes" are a luxury, but my point is to consider where you're standing in relation to your opponent more closely.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Your figure's legs appear to be on the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
At ease, looza