Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've got one of these arriving tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/Akai-Profess..._s_a_1_2&sr=8-2

(an akai electronic wind instrument)

I'm a clarinetist, almost finished with my doctorate in clarinet performance, and I can't loving wait to get this thing. I've wanted one for years. I've never used anything like it or any synths or anything before. Can anyone recommend stuff I'm going to want to mess around with this thing, like software, or whatever else? Sorry for this super-vague question, but I sort of impulse bought this upon finding out I can get one of these for 300 bucks.

Only thing I might complain about is having to use saxophone fingerings, because it doesn't look like clarinet is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

I've got one of these arriving tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/Akai-Profess..._s_a_1_2&sr=8-2

(an akai electronic wind instrument)

I'm a clarinetist, almost finished with my doctorate in clarinet performance, and I can't loving wait to get this thing. I've wanted one for years. I've never used anything like it or any synths or anything before. Can anyone recommend stuff I'm going to want to mess around with this thing, like software, or whatever else? Sorry for this super-vague question, but I sort of impulse bought this upon finding out I can get one of these for 300 bucks.

Only thing I might complain about is having to use saxophone fingerings, because it doesn't look like clarinet is an option.

I just sold one of those on Ebay a few months back. Had it for a few years and didn't use it much; it was cool af and I loved how expressive it was, but I was just lazy about pulling it out of the box and using it. I got a Seaboard Rise to scratch my expressiveness itch instead. Considerably more expensive, but much easier for me to get useful results given my laziness about learning new instruments nowadays.

IIRC, you can use the included software to change the fingering to whatever you want, and I'm sure there's already some sort of template for clarinet.

WRT software: Do you have Reaktor and Kontakt? There are some free Reaktor ensembles for electronic wind instruments that are honestly fabulous. There are also so Kontakt libraries designed with wind controllers in mind, but not many. Luckily Kontakt is flexible as heck and with a bit of tinkering you can set up basically any library to work with the EWI. It's just a matter of figuring out which MIDI cc channels the bite and aftertouch are mapped to, and then connecting those to the aspects of a given sample library that you want them to control.

e: Yeah I think it was mainly Chet Singer's Reaktor stuff that I was thinking of

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/all/all/all/300659/

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 8, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh huh, my bad - it looks like they have several different fingering layouts but NOT clarinet. I'd be willing to bet you could find something that would allow you to remap keys, though. Or failing that you could always just move poo poo around in your Kontakt libraries so that the library's note layout matches the EWI's output for your desired fingering.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I distinctly remember my high school band director showing us a video of an electronic wind instrument performance and thinking it was the coolest poo poo I'd ever seen. Grats!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

So Math posted:

I distinctly remember my high school band director showing us a video of an electronic wind instrument performance and thinking it was the coolest poo poo I'd ever seen. Grats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tIwYNioDL8

How about now?

(skip to 03:10 for Dawkins EWI performance)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

how long will moog be selling mini moog model ds for?

i feel like i will kick myself if they stop sometime in the future.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

magiccarpet posted:

how long will moog be selling mini moog model ds for?

i feel like i will kick myself if they stop sometime in the future.

I have my doubts, but Behringer just announced that they are working on an affordable Minimoog clone. No price or specs yet, or a date, but it could be worth waiting for.

$3500 for a monosynth is a lot, you could buy a Deepmind 12 voice for $999, get a Moog Mother-32 for about 600, and continue to plan your expanding studio with the rest... Maybe a Matrixbrute?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
:eng99:

Today I learned that someone closely related to me in the math world is actually an established pop musician who composes with logarithms! Time to do some networking.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Trig Discipline posted:

I just sold one of those on Ebay a few months back. Had it for a few years and didn't use it much; it was cool af and I loved how expressive it was, but I was just lazy about pulling it out of the box and using it. I got a Seaboard Rise to scratch my expressiveness itch instead. Considerably more expensive, but much easier for me to get useful results given my laziness about learning new instruments nowadays.

IIRC, you can use the included software to change the fingering to whatever you want, and I'm sure there's already some sort of template for clarinet.

WRT software: Do you have Reaktor and Kontakt? There are some free Reaktor ensembles for electronic wind instruments that are honestly fabulous. There are also so Kontakt libraries designed with wind controllers in mind, but not many. Luckily Kontakt is flexible as heck and with a bit of tinkering you can set up basically any library to work with the EWI. It's just a matter of figuring out which MIDI cc channels the bite and aftertouch are mapped to, and then connecting those to the aspects of a given sample library that you want them to control.

e: Yeah I think it was mainly Chet Singer's Reaktor stuff that I was thinking of

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/all/all/all/300659/

I'm not all that picky about the fingering system issue, I've played a lot of saxophone, bassoon, flute and recorder as well so most likely I'm gonna be playing with all of them just for fun but will stick with saxophone for actual playing. Saxophone is way easier than clarinet on the fingers in most cases, anyway.

I've never used any of that software - I have no idea exactly what I want to do with this thing. I'd like to be able to play it on headphones or speakers with a bunch of different sounds, record, sample, layer, et cetera. I'm using a macbook air, if that matters.

It should get here tomorrow right after my 19th century music theory class midterm, which I am currently stressing about. And then I will spend probably all day messing with it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

empty whippet box posted:

I'm not all that picky about the fingering system issue, I've played a lot of saxophone, bassoon, flute and recorder as well so most likely I'm gonna be playing with all of them just for fun but will stick with saxophone for actual playing. Saxophone is way easier than clarinet on the fingers in most cases, anyway.

I've never used any of that software - I have no idea exactly what I want to do with this thing. I'd like to be able to play it on headphones or speakers with a bunch of different sounds, record, sample, layer, et cetera. I'm using a macbook air, if that matters.

Kontakt is basically the industry standard sampler, and Reaktor is one of the industry standards for hand-rolling your own synths and effects.

If you want sounds of real instruments, Kontakt is fantastic. There's not a lot of Kontakt patches that are set up for breath controllers out of the box, though, so you'd need to learn a bit about customizing Kontakt instruments to really get the best sound out of it.

Reaktor has a WAY steeper learning curve if you really want to be a serious user, but if you just want to load in other people's patches (like the ones I was talking about) it's not hard at all.

Truth is you can use the EWI with basically any software instrument, but in every case except those Reaktor gizmos it's going to take something of a deep dive before you get something that really acts like a wind instrument. Worth the effort, though!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The EWI will work with Axoloti too, and there was a discussion about how to set it up here:

http://community.axoloti.com/t/using-ewi-breath-controller/3008/2

I'd say with accessories (case, micro sd card, AC adapter, any pots you want) that axoloti is comparable in price to Reaktor. It is a little less developed, but a lot of people are using it with odd controllers like the EWI and the Eigenharp. Otherwise it's pretty similar to Reaktor in complexity, just a bit newer and less developed. Just one more option out there for you.

Continuing with the Axoloti trip report, I've done several test patches now and I've got a feel for where the community library is at. The emphasis is on digital oscillators and effects that DSP does well, like wavetables, FM, granular synthesis and objects based on weird mathematics, not so much on good virtual analog. The better sounding VA oscillators, mostly the ones from Braids, take a lot of CPU relative to the more basic ones in the factory library library. That said, one contributor made an interesting simulation of Rubicon. I still think this has a fundamentally different character than patching eurorack. Modules tend to be much smaller, especially on the factory side, and you end up using more of them. A smaller CPU footprint is emphasized over being feature rich. Signal types are more logical and consistent with a clear definition of how the interact. The big theme is that Audio signals run every cycle, control signals run every 16 cycles, which is still pretty fast at 48kHz. Control is pretty important, a lot of users opt for analog pots but midi controllers are pretty popular too. I find that low res controls do cause stepping on sensitive values like filters or oscillators, but you can mitigate it with glide or smoothing. I'd like to add interpolation to that but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm kind of interested in using hi res midi , which Axoloti supports, but the only suitable, affordable thing I can find that has it is the BCR2000 and that's still $150.

Anybody have any other suggestions for high-res, 14 bit midi controllers? USB is OK, as long as it's class compliant. Soldering on pots might be cheaper, but I'd need a new case and it would only be cheaper if I didn't screw it up.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Schindler's Fist posted:

I have my doubts, but Behringer just announced that they are working on an affordable Minimoog clone. No price or specs yet, or a date, but it could be worth waiting for.

$3500 for a monosynth is a lot, you could buy a Deepmind 12 voice for $999, get a Moog Mother-32 for about 600, and continue to plan your expanding studio with the rest... Maybe a Matrixbrute?

I was actually asking as they were talking about the Behringer on Sonic State (which has now been shown on Modular Grid as a euro device). I've got a handful of synths now so, including a Mother and Leipzig, the problem isn't what to get. I'm just worried I'll be kicking myself in 10 years when the things are hard to come by again. Meh who knows.

http://cdm.link/2017/03/behringer-to-make-an-analog-minimoog-clone-for-around-400/

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 9, 2017

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

magiccarpet posted:

I was actually asking as they were talking about the Behringer on Sonic State (which has now been shown on Modular Grid as a euro device). I've got a handful of synths now so, including a Mother and Leipzig, the problem isn't what to get. I'm just worried I'll be kicking myself in 10 years when the things are hard to come by again. Meh who knows.

http://cdm.link/2017/03/behringer-to-make-an-analog-minimoog-clone-for-around-400/

I'd be worried if/when they announce a replacement for the Voyager. In the meantime, I think I'm gonna skip the Model D and try to grab a Voyager OS for cheap.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having a strange problem with a patch and I don't have easy access to a scope at the moment:

URA Clock Out -> Maths CH 1 Trig In = 1 envelope strike every positive edge
URA Clock Out -> Intellijel Buf Mult -> Maths CH 1 Trig In = 1 strike each positive AND negative edge

Any ideas why?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I took the keyboard off my Microbrute today. Now I can get at the sequencer and LFO without wasting the desk space on the keyboard. Plus ya know the synth voice but what I really wanted was the Midi -> CV stuff.

There's a thread on Muffs with instructions that I followed. It's simpler than I thought it would be, the hardest part was figuring out a new backing - I cut down a picture frame from Amazon. I still want to get some longer screws and maybe stain the back but I'll save that for the next time I'm feeling handy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

sliderule posted:

I'm having a strange problem with a patch and I don't have easy access to a scope at the moment:

URA Clock Out -> Maths CH 1 Trig In = 1 envelope strike every positive edge
URA Clock Out -> Intellijel Buf Mult -> Maths CH 1 Trig In = 1 strike each positive AND negative edge

Any ideas why?

The buff mult. Maths (and 0-Coast) freaks when triggers go through a buffered mult. I've run into this with Intellijel's and Pulp Logic's mults.

You'll need to use a splitter or Stackable.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

JamesKPolk posted:

I took the keyboard off my Microbrute today. Now I can get at the sequencer and LFO without wasting the desk space on the keyboard. Plus ya know the synth voice but what I really wanted was the Midi -> CV stuff.

There's a thread on Muffs with instructions that I followed. It's simpler than I thought it would be, the hardest part was figuring out a new backing - I cut down a picture frame from Amazon. I still want to get some longer screws and maybe stain the back but I'll save that for the next time I'm feeling handy.

My keybed stopped working on my Micron about eight months ago and I've been tempted to do something similar.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am looking at getting my first analog synth and I don't see much competition with the Korg Minilogue at that price. That is probably right about the amount I want to spend but would be interested in some feedback from people who have one or know of other options that would be on par. Just watching some of the demo videos of the Mini makes me super excited.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
nvm confused it with the monologue

hug a mexican fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 13, 2017

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I am looking at getting my first analog synth and I don't see much competition with the Korg Minilogue at that price. That is probably right about the amount I want to spend but would be interested in some feedback from people who have one or know of other options that would be on par. Just watching some of the demo videos of the Mini makes me super excited.

You won't go wrong with the Minilogue. For your curiosity in other options, the Bass Station 2 is about that price point. I really like mine, but you do lose out on the polyphony you get with the Minilogue.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I'm thinking of adding a guitar effects pedal or two for texture but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking to shape the sound more than a standard reverb / delay, and basic digital effects (EQ, compression) are things my mixer handles pretty well already. It's a toss up between a Strymon Deco or El Capistrano, with the Analog Heat being a distant and expensive third probability. However I am open to other suggestions and I'm curious to what the rest of you use.

Or does everyone just stick to VSTs?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Two of my favorite pedals right there. The El Cap is so much better than the RE-20 and the Deco is magic on everything I try it on. (I'm also trying to avoid computers so having DSP in a box is a bigger deal for me than it might be for you).

Here's a song I just did using both (plus a Tera Echo, a BF-2, and a Bass Soul Food on the kick) where the goal was use pedals for texture:
https://technoliches.bandcamp.com/track/tears-of-blood

El Cap on the send for the toms and hats, Deco on the pad synth.

I tried some compression stuff that I think kinda masked the El Cap but the Deco absolutely carries the song. (It's kind of weird as a demo though, most of the pitch warbling stuff was me tweaking a Tera Echo, the actual double tracking is much more subtle.) It's wonderful for dynamics and for adding that certain something - if that something is tape sound.

The Tera Echo isn't bad either - it does exactly one thing but that one thing is weird enough its kind of okay.

---

On distortion and overdrive, I found I prefer overdrive effects to distortion effects - especially going in to mixer channels. And I realized that having the same distortion on multiple channels was valuable to me - I'm eyeing that stereo EHX OD, thinking it would be a cheaper version of the Heat for all the use I'd get out of it (I tend not to rate Elektron's stuff there). But what I ended up doing was grabbing some old Boss KM and BX mixers, which have a real nice distortion to them when you overdrive the inputs, and run closer to the price of a Boss pedal than a Strymon - plus all those channels.

But I tend to care more about these things than most (I have opinions about which generation Mackie pre-amps overdrive the best) so YMMV.

My favorite so far has been the Bass Soul Food - it interacts nicely with the mixer pre-amp it runs in to. I haven't tried it on anything other than kick drums but I've been happy with it there.

---

The other thing that's piqued my interest there is a kind of "amp simulation"-ish thing - looking at the Strymon Flint and the Vermona Retroverb. The issue for me is they feel like a different kind of workflow - I don't tend to write too much stuff with solo parts right now, and it would be hard to use them on a bus.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I'm thinking of adding a guitar effects pedal or two for texture but I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking to shape the sound more than a standard reverb / delay, and basic digital effects (EQ, compression) are things my mixer handles pretty well already. It's a toss up between a Strymon Deco or El Capistrano, with the Analog Heat being a distant and expensive third probability. However I am open to other suggestions and I'm curious to what the rest of you use.

Or does everyone just stick to VSTs?

I have an El Capistan, I ended up taking it off my guitar pedalboard because I like using it with my synths so much

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The Deco, El Capistan, and Analog Heat are three pretty different kinds of effects.

What synths or sounds will be going through the effects, and what kind of music would you like to make?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

JamesKPolk posted:

Two of my favorite pedals right there. The El Cap is so much better than the RE-20 and the Deco is magic on everything I try it on. (I'm also trying to avoid computers so having DSP in a box is a bigger deal for me than it might be for you).

I'm in the same boat where I'm trying to avoid computers as well, thanks to some screen fatigue / tendonitis / carpal tunnel and have bit by bit made my way over and this is the last bit - something to replace the compressors / saturation effects I have. I was torn between getting the Deco on the master bus, or the El Capistan on my main polysynth, but this looks like it may be a matter of both and not either one or the other.

While I'd love something like a Neve 542 it seems a little much, but if I'm looking at an El Cap AND a Deco it becomes a more viable option if I want to add colour to the sound. Thank you for the suggestions! I know what to look for and at least know I'm on the right track.

Tatumje posted:

The Deco, El Capistan, and Analog Heat are three pretty different kinds of effects.

What synths or sounds will be going through the effects, and what kind of music would you like to make?

The main goal is to just add a bit more warmth - the Heat and Deco both offer tape-like saturation - I could do without overdrive / delay easily. My main setup is an Monomachine run through an Octatrack (thus easy to get some basic digital effects / EQ), and I'm looking to replace the various VSTs I have (mainly compressors / tape saturation ones). The El Cap looks more fun to play with and does distort the audio enough to make the audio seem a bit thicker.

As for the style, the best way I can describe it is chillwave, but I aim more for the poppy-end-credits-to-an-80s-anime style rather than a darker / more aggressive sound.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 13, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Several chillwave artists use the Roland SP-404/SP-404sx. It can be used as both a sampler and a multieffects unit. The SP-series' "Vinyl Sim effect" is all over lofi hiphop drums if you are into that.

If I remember correctly, Washed Out's "Feel it All Around" was a sampled loop fed through a cassette player and slowed down. Depending on your desired workflow, an old cassette four track recorder would get you there. Alternatively, you could look into the ZVex Lo-fi Junky or the Cooper FX Generation Loss for warbly tape vibes in the same ballpark.

The El Capistan is a fine tape delay effect, but you should at least consider either a Source Audio Nemesis or Boss DD-500. Both will be cheaper than the El Cap, have actual stereo inputs, and have all the MIDI goodies like clock sync and presets that aren't in the smaller Strymon boxes.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

The LoFi Junky is worth a look.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The Instant Lo-Fi Junky is an amazing pedal for synths, with the exception of the compressor's behaviour on attack. It can be rather nasty with very sharp attacks. It doesn't matter when the knob is full Lo-Fi, which is my preferred method for operating the pedal anyways.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The lo-fi knob might hide some of it, but the compression in the instant junky is not variable. The comp/lo-fi knob is misleading. That knob only affects the vibrato blend and doesn't actually change anything about the underlying compression amount.

The designer of the Instant Lo-fi Junky is also the main guy at Chase Bliss pedals. He made the Warped Vinyl as a more in-depth spiritual sequel to the Instant Lo-Fi Junky without the locked compression. I feel like the compression is part of the charm, but the Warped Vinyl is definitely more flexible and may be better suited for line level signals.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Whatever the Lo-Fi knob does, it peaks like hell with instant attack sounds before fully CW.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tatumje posted:

Several chillwave artists use the Roland SP-404/SP-404sx. It can be used as both a sampler and a multieffects unit. The SP-series' "Vinyl Sim effect" is all over lofi hiphop drums if you are into that.

If I remember correctly, Washed Out's "Feel it All Around" was a sampled loop fed through a cassette player and slowed down. Depending on your desired workflow, an old cassette four track recorder would get you there. Alternatively, you could look into the ZVex Lo-fi Junky or the Cooper FX Generation Loss for warbly tape vibes in the same ballpark.

The El Capistan is a fine tape delay effect, but you should at least consider either a Source Audio Nemesis or Boss DD-500. Both will be cheaper than the El Cap, have actual stereo inputs, and have all the MIDI goodies like clock sync and presets that aren't in the smaller Strymon boxes.

the 404sx is good for fx but its vinyl sim aint the best, youll want the 303 for that. i use the script dyna comp reissue when i wanna warm anything up, and do everything else in my modular or an sp these days.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
also i made a youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVhD6GPRp8w

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.
I feel like I should alert Eurorack goons that there's less than a week left on the Kickstarter for the Synthesis Technology E370 Quad Morphing VCO. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/697230891/e370-quad-morphing-vco

It's not cheap, but it is ridiculously feature packed. It's also only planned as a single run, so it'll be tricky (and a bit more expensive) to get one later.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Autolyze posted:

I feel like I should alert Eurorack goons that there's less than a week left on the Kickstarter for the Synthesis Technology E370 Quad Morphing VCO. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/697230891/e370-quad-morphing-vco

It's not cheap, but it is ridiculously feature packed. It's also only planned as a single run, so it'll be tricky (and a bit more expensive) to get one later.

They just hit their final stretch goal as well.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kBUVVS_5JU

e: My mistake I thought it was a sampler but it looks to be a drum machine with sampling capabilities.

net work error fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 15, 2017

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

net work error posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kBUVVS_5JU

e: My mistake I thought it was a sampler but it looks to be a drum machine with sampling capabilities.

That same uggo screen again.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa

net work error posted:

Do you have a source confirming the drum synthesis capability? From what I've read people aren't sure if this is the case.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Autolyze posted:

i have 0 empty HP and it feels s o g o o d

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

kuf posted:

Do you have a source confirming the drum synthesis capability? From what I've read people aren't sure if this is the case.

I was under the impression that it was samples only - at NAMM, all the videos had Cenk stating it was samples and not synthesis (as he's described the Rtym and Machinedrum). Their use of the words "sound engine" is a bit vague but I figure it just means ADSR, LFOs, and effects and not actual synthesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

kuf posted:

I was mostly going off this blurb on their website but I could be wrong. I haven't kept up with synth news recently:

quote:

Digitakt is a new compact drum machine from Elektron. It contains all the necessary tools to make people move to the beat. A digital and highly flexible sound engine, sampling capability, a live-friendly sequencer, the means to control external MIDI gear, and Overbridge support.