Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Drone posted:

Or maybe splitting the soak in half and applying it to each shot. I dunno, I'm lovely at RPG math.

Pretty sure the math would turn out the same either way

Looking at the rules I would say the soak applies to both attacks. In the case of using two of the same weapon, this would just double the damage before any other effects, similar to a dual linked laser cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Soak is applied per hit. Dual-wielding is just better vs poorly-armoured targets.

Consider getting 2 damage 6 blaster pistol hits @ 2 success (2x8) vs 1 damage 9 blaster rifle hit @ 2 successes (1x11)

Target has a soak of...
2: pistol does 2x6=12, rifle does 9
3: pistol does 2x5=10, rifle does 8
4: pistol does 2x4=8, rifle does 7
5: pistol does 2x3=6, rifle does 6
6: pistol does 2x2=4, rifle does 5

5 is Stormtrooper soak so a good breakpoint for rifles to start winning out.

Dual wielding is also more strongly affected by your degrees of success than a rifle- at 1 success, rifle always beats pistol over the listed range, at 3 successes pistol always beats rifle. Don't buff it unless you want your high-level characters to get OP.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Yeah, once you start getting really good at things, the number of successes + the abilities from the trees means the guns don't matter as much except as a list of traits. Pistols with pierce will eventually start to be more consistent damage than rifles without, etc. Plus, if you start messing with the math too much, it'll start going weird when people start using Autofire on the big rifles.

Doubly so when if it's someone who can set up 1 advantage autofire triggers through said abilities. Being able to hit more than once per attack is a big boon once the numbers of potential successes get bigger.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Duel Wielding crushes single weapon down the line pretty badly once you get a bunch of xp under your belt. The only thing that does more is if you get an autofire ranged Heavy weapon and your GM is for some reason allowing you to jury rig that quality.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just Triumphed twice against the same PC in my Discord game. On the one hand, I feel bad dishing out that much pain to one PC...on the other, its a cool fight.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Hey guys, I'm thinking about starting up my campaign again, and my players are clamoring for an Episode VII setting. I know there's a starter box out so I have two questions:

1) Would it make sense to buy the Force Awakens box if I'm planning on running an open universe style game with 5 or 6 people?

2) Does anyone have a good resource for some updated / reskinned crafts and NPCs for use in the Episode VII setting?

Sorry if you broached this already, I was behind by like 100 pages on this thread.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If you're planning on running an ongoing campaign, you really need a core book. The beginner boxes are nice starting points, and you can run a decent one-off...but the lack of full rules and chargen stuff hurts.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Hm ok. I have Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion. I ran a campaign for around a year that took place in 2 ABY. I guess my bigger question is, is there any splat book that just updates NPCs and vehicles to episode 7? Or am I better off just doing like a palate swap with existing mooks?

Like stormtroopers can just be called "First Order Troopers," etc. I was just looking for more fluff!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ahh, yeah, you're better off just reskinning existing stuff. The TFA box does have updated stats for first order troops and the like...but I don't think they differ all that much from galactic empire troops.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Is there a goon Discord for this?
I heard there were games happening.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Ego Trip posted:

Is there a goon Discord for this?
I heard there were games happening.

There is an there are. Check my post history.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boru posted:

...Stormtroopers can just be called "First Order Troopers," etc. I was just looking for more fluff!

Seems like a lot of it would be fluff, with some vehicle mods made using hard points.

Examples would be the newer TIEs having more sensors and a gunner's seat and the extra blaster cannon on Poe's X-wing on Jakku. I think Fly Casual had that as the "ground buzzer".

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
If the TFA beginner game is anything like the Edge one, it would be a great way to introduce the game and its mechanics to new players before they start looking at character creation rules.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm running the EotE starter for my group tonight and we'll be making characters next week. It looks like I'll have 5-8 players. Does anyone have advice on running with larger group like that?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
As much as it sounds tempting with a group that size, be careful about splitting your party and the back and forth timing of it. The bigger the group, the more time things will take.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

LongDarkNight posted:

I'm running the EotE starter for my group tonight and we'll be making characters next week. It looks like I'll have 5-8 players. Does anyone have advice on running with larger group like that?

Convince someone else to try GMing and break into two smaller groups, especially if there really are 8 players.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

nelson posted:

Convince someone else to try GMing and break into two smaller groups, especially if there really are 8 players.

Mostly this, yeah. I'm running a group of 7 right now that only really works because I have a ton of experience with large groups, everyone really likes everyone else there, we don't have every player every session, and that about 2 or 3 of my players aren't super engaged and are happy to just go with the flow of the rest. 5 is totally fine, 6 is doable but hard. Anything above that is probably a mistake

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Doing an intro oneshot for some friends on Sunday. The folios from the beginner sets looks like good premades for this purpose, but is there a premade force user? Preferably not from F&D? (They're gonna be EotE types)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Elendil004 posted:

Doing an intro oneshot for some friends on Sunday. The folios from the beginner sets looks like good premades for this purpose, but is there a premade force user? Preferably not from F&D? (They're gonna be EotE types)

The only way to be a force user at starting [which all premades are made for, starting out], you need to use Force and Destiny classes.

The Force Awakens beginner set has a force sensitive premade, along side EotE types, from what I remember.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

KittyEmpress posted:

The only way to be a force user at starting [which all premades are made for, starting out], you need to use Force and Destiny classes.

That's not strictly true. You can spend starting XP to buy into the force sensitive exile/emergent specializations to get a force rating. Not optimal XP expenditure but you can do it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Plus the premades don't always follow chargen rules, I believe.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Fuzz posted:

There is an there are. Check my post history.

Thanks, my friend.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I used to have a good 1 page printer friendly (B&W) sheet with what the dice did, examples of advantage and disadvantage spends, etc. Something for each player to have in front of them. Those still kicking around?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Tonight I foisted nascent Force Sensitivity onto a character for Plot Reasons and she had her first run in with a recurring Inquisitor-type character.

"She says something snide about your compassion for your friend as you apply the medpac."
"No, she doesn't get it, I need her on her feet to win this fight."
"Wait, so you're just helping her because she's materially useful to you? She finds this relatable, but not enough to stop trying to kill you with a laser sword."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

This roll has come up twice in as many sessions somehow and I'm not sure what the exact rule is, so I'm asking it here. The die pool shows a Triumph and a Failure after all other cancelations. Is the check successful? Does the Failure cancel the Success part of the Triumph?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Clanpot Shake posted:

This roll has come up twice in as many sessions somehow and I'm not sure what the exact rule is, so I'm asking it here. The die pool shows a Triumph and a Failure after all other cancelations. Is the check successful? Does the Failure cancel the Success part of the Triumph?

The result should be failure with a triumph from all that. The triumph's extra success counts as a normal one when it comes to cancelling things out, but you still get the triumph's benefit from the roll.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

thelazyblank posted:

The result should be failure with a triumph from all that. The triumph's extra success counts as a normal one when it comes to cancelling things out, but you still get the triumph's benefit from the roll.

They really should have had two symbols on the triumph side, a success and a triumph and not have triumphs count as successes.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

The Bounty Hunter book has sections on how to run investigations--but the blurb for another recently released book for FaD, <i>Endless Vigil</i>, indicated that it also focused on investigations (mostly urban ones, though). Is the information contained in them complementary or redundant? If I had to choose one in the context of running Star Wars mysteries, which one is recommended?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

The Malthusian posted:

The Bounty Hunter book has sections on how to run investigations--but the blurb for another recently released book for FaD, <i>Endless Vigil</i>, indicated that it also focused on investigations (mostly urban ones, though). Is the information contained in them complementary or redundant? If I had to choose one in the context of running Star Wars mysteries, which one is recommended?

Funny enough, those are the two books I bought last night. So I've only skimmed them, but I can tell you for sure that they cover very different material. Endless Vigil is very urban focused, with a lot of tables of results for spending advantage/threat in urban environments (traffic, crowds, dense spaces) with some advice on running urban investigations. No Disintegrations seems to have a much broader focus with multiple spreads on sample 3 act mystery/investigation campaigns. I was much more intrigued by what I saw here than in Endless Vigil, but again, this was just a skim.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looking to run a bunch of the pre made modules, starting with eote stuff, is there a good narrative (or difficulty) arc between them? A recommended order?

edit: they're all new, as well, is there a list of all the EOTE potential classes and short descriptors so folks can see?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 13, 2017

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Elendil004 posted:

edit: they're all new, as well, is there a list of all the EOTE potential classes and short descriptors so folks can see?

You could just condense the career blurbs from each book into one pdf, I guess. It'd be a simple career digest, of sorts.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Fuzz posted:

You could just condense the career blurbs from each book into one pdf, I guess. It'd be a simple career digest, of sorts.

True, I might just do that.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I've recently started playing a Slicer and I was really keen to see that the latest episode of Rebels was basically a meditation on more interesting ways to use the Computers skill than "open door".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Elendil004 posted:

Looking to run a bunch of the pre made modules, starting with eote stuff, is there a good narrative (or difficulty) arc between them? A recommended order?

There is a loose narrative order between some of them, I just can't for the life of me find where I had it listed out. I believe it goes:

1.) Beginner Box
2.) Long Arm of the Hutt (free PDF from FFG's website)
3.) The adventure from the EOTE core rulebook

After that you could keep going with free stuff by finding Under the Black Sun, which I believe is a free PDF, or Crates of Krayts (which I think is a Free RPG Day thing). Then transition into one of the published adventures like Jewel of Yavin or Mask of the Pirate Queen.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
FFG's releases for SWRPG ever since Asmodee have become increasingly crappy, especially in the UK/EU

No Disintegrations hasn't made it to the EU yet, 6 weeks after it came out, and it's now out of print in the US. It's increasingly looking as if they just didn't bother to ship it to the EU/UK, and haven't been answering customer service questions about it.

Esdevium (the EU distributor) either doesn't order enough stock in general, or doesn't get sent enough - the recent reprint of the adversary cards was out of stock on outstanding orders alone, before stores could place new orders. I think at this point it's about 20 books out of stock in the UK across the three lines, including all the core rulebooks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FFG in general has really hosed up supply chain management, and being in Europe does seem to make it worse. I feel like we got Special Modifications really, really fast though, not long after the NA release. Still checking Amazon and the website of my game store of choice for No Disintegrations though.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

There's a new version of Oggdude's character creator available. It looks like it's mostly focused on implementing crafting.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Drone posted:

FFG in general has really hosed up supply chain management, and being in Europe does seem to make it worse. I feel like we got Special Modifications really, really fast though, not long after the NA release. Still checking Amazon and the website of my game store of choice for No Disintegrations though.

You can check here on a Friday or Saturday to see what's being released in the following week: http://www.esdeviumgames.com/new-releases/

Special Modifications was out here quickly, and then just a quickly went out of print, some stores couldn't order it, and no restock after the initial sellthrough.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Elendil004 posted:

I've sort of wondered this myself. There is a recommended order inside the gm kit for age of rebellion but not for edge of the empire. I was just thinking of running the edge ones in order of release. So, beginner's box, beginner's box bonus adventure, core book, free RPG day pdf or gm kit adventure, then the published adventures in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is there any general consensus as to what the best all-rounder starting ship is for EotE? I haven't played a new campaign since the beta when you could get the Ghtroc turtleship. Looking at various YT and YV models but I wanted to consult the hivemind.