Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jeremor posted:

Guess I know what I'm doing with my night.
Buttrock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Get that pickle swole.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Bought another set of locking tuners for the new LP

locking tuners on everything forever

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Carbohydrates posted:

I kinda like split post tuners because I hate myself, but it's either those or locking tuners. the normal tuners can gently caress right off

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I really wish it wasn't so busy at work and also tax season so I could play this plugged in more. A friend of mine just built it for me. It has a Mighty Mite ash body, DiMarzio pickups and a Stellartone Bass Eleven.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

I kinda like split post tuners because I hate myself, but it's either those or locking tuners. the normal tuners can gently caress right off

I hate normal side hole tuners. They don't make any sense compared to split holes. They're also messy looking and dangerous. My least favorite thing is companies that make locking tuners with side holes. Whyyyyyy? They're not as bad as the non locking versions but it's still unnecessary to me. Split holes are clean and incredibly fast to string up. Always stable for me too.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The most useful thing I've happened upon when it comes to restringing is that you shouldn't clip the strings with some tool, but instead you should just bend the string back and forth right at the tuning head until it just cleanly snaps off. That way you have basically zero extra string that sticks out from the post.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hate normal side hole tuners. They don't make any sense compared to split holes. They're also messy looking and dangerous. My least favorite thing is companies that make locking tuners with side holes. Whyyyyyy? They're not as bad as the non locking versions but it's still unnecessary to me. Split holes are clean and incredibly fast to string up. Always stable for me too.
Compared to side hole locking tuners, split posts are cleaner yeah but they take longer to wind up (locking takes only 1/2 to 3/4 of 1 wind) and you have to pre trim the strings, which is no issue at home but means I'll never use them on a guitar I may have to restring on the fly or without tools. Also, locking tuners are faster for getting the old strings off, which is another consideration.

My order of preference is 1) locking with thumbwheel, 2) split post, 3) standard tuners, 4) weird alternative type locking tuners

Edit: also locking tuners eliminate the chance of tuning instability due to user error when stringing conventionally. This isn't a factor if you know what you're doing but it's another variable anyway

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 10, 2017

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
love those gotohs. used to be all about the planet waves ones until i got a guitar with the locking gotoh heads

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I realized that what I actually wanted was a decent Telecaster, so a murdered out Baja Tele it is! It seems pretty great so far, and every time I look at the headstock, I crack up because it's a "TELECASTER". Makes it seem like some sort of weird bootleg product.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Leck posted:

I realized that what I actually wanted was a decent Telecaster, so a murdered out Baja Tele it is! It seems pretty great so far, and every time I look at the headstock, I crack up because it's a "TELECASTER". Makes it seem like some sort of weird bootleg product.

Teles used to be my main grab and I can tell you that a ton of them had inconsistencies. They are still loving great.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Some days you check Craigslist for one thing and then you decide to be Duff McKagan

1986 Jazz Bass Special. Not sure if it the pearl white color that has yellowed, or it was a gold that faded. Apparently it has been in a New Jersey basement for a couple decades and the case definitely smells like it, so it is covered in Lysol and waiting outside now. The bass itself needs a lot of cleaning and some surface rust removed, but the neck is straight and the electronics seem to work. Also has the most dead roundwounds I've ever played, I would almost like to try playing them except the G is about 90% rust so they're off into the trash.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

DrChu posted:

Some days you check Craigslist for one thing and then you decide to be Duff McKagan

1986 Jazz Bass Special. Not sure if it the pearl white color that has yellowed, or it was a gold that faded. Apparently it has been in a New Jersey basement for a couple decades and the case definitely smells like it, so it is covered in Lysol and waiting outside now. The bass itself needs a lot of cleaning and some surface rust removed, but the neck is straight and the electronics seem to work. Also has the most dead roundwounds I've ever played, I would almost like to try playing them except the G is about 90% rust so they're off into the trash.

Nice. Niiiice.

Duff with that white bass of his was, like, the absolute epitome of "cooler than poo poo bass player" in the late 80's.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

smr posted:

Nice. Niiiice.

Duff with that white bass of his was, like, the absolute epitome of "cooler than poo poo bass player" in the late 80's.
Him and Slash rocking their instruments super low was the whole reason I did (and sometimes still do) that, as well. Ah, to be young and dumb. :allears:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That's awesome. Did you get a good deal on it?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Another pawn shop buy, Schecter PT with case, cables, and straps for $180. Seemed like a deal, and I'm a sucker for a Tele.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

widefault posted:

Another pawn shop buy, Schecter PT with case, cables, and straps for $180. Seemed like a deal, and I'm a sucker for a Tele.

DAYUM! :blush:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

widefault posted:

drat dude that is a deal. I'd love to stumble upon that.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

widefault posted:

Eminence Front!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NV5-DaI5ULg

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

80's Who has never felt quite right to me, and that's their best of that period imo :whitewater:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

rio posted:

That's awesome. Did you get a good deal on it?
$360 + three hours of driving, so not too bad.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

monolithburger posted:

80's Who has never felt quite right to me, and that's their best of that period imo :whitewater:

Nothing is as funny as 80s Jagger though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoGofvVhKTo

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

widefault posted:

Definitely thought that was a Suhr headstock at first.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Carbohydrates posted:

Bought another set of locking tuners for the new LP

Any suggestions for locking tuners? I really don't like the tuners on my SG and would like to upgrade them.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

dxt posted:

Any suggestions for locking tuners? I really don't like the tuners on my SG and would like to upgrade them.

I personally love Schallers. Ernie Ball uses them from the factory but otherwise I've put them (and Schaller strap locks) on every guitar I've owned in the last 15 years.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I love the Hipshot locking tuners, personally. I have a set on my RG and the combination of the staggered post height + angled headstock makes for a really sleek setup. I love Hipshot hardware overall, though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dxt posted:

i have the cheapo wilkinson ez lok tuners on a couple guitars and they're legit as hell

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

dxt posted:

The Gotohs that Carbohydrates is using are dope as hell and only weigh a couple grams more for the set than traditional Klusons. Will help avoid neck dive on your SG.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

dxt posted:

If you have Kluson pattern tuners with vintage shafts, Gotoh SD90 is the only way to go - they're what I have on both LPs pictured above. Ultra lightweight, handsome, and they nail the classic Kluson look.

If you have Kluson pattern tuners with modern shafts, the Kluson Revolution lockers should be a direct replacement. I don't love the look of them, though. You can also use the above Gotoh SD90s with conversion bushings.

If you have Grover pattern tuners, Hipshot open back are the way to go. Heavier than Klusons but lighter than Grovers. Super high quality, and you can find them in a nickel finish if you look hard enough. Compatible with all Grover buttons, too. Also worth noting they sell these with their UMP, a universal plate that will give them a look like 3-on-plate tuners and will ensure no holes need to be drilled, so you can use these on Kluson pattern guitars without modification, too. They even have a vintage shaft diameter option.

There's also Sperzel tuners, which are very lightweight (especially the open gear ones) for lockers. They have a mounting option called, I believe, ez-mount which doesn't require any holes drilled at all - there are a couple small, shallow prongs on the backside that just grab the back of the headstock when the bushing is tightened. These can go on anything with a modern shaft.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Carbohydrates posted:

If you have Kluson pattern tuners with vintage shafts, Gotoh SD90 is the only way to go - they're what I have on both LPs pictured above. Ultra lightweight, handsome, and they nail the classic Kluson look.

If you have Kluson pattern tuners with modern shafts, the Kluson Revolution lockers should be a direct replacement. I don't love the look of them, though. You can also use the above Gotoh SD90s with conversion bushings.

If you have Grover pattern tuners, Hipshot open back are the way to go. Heavier than Klusons but lighter than Grovers. Super high quality, and you can find them in a nickel finish if you look hard enough. Compatible with all Grover buttons, too. Also worth noting they sell these with their UMP, a universal plate that will give them a look like 3-on-plate tuners and will ensure no holes need to be drilled, so you can use these on Kluson pattern guitars without modification, too. They even have a vintage shaft diameter option.

There's also Sperzel tuners, which are very lightweight (especially the open gear ones) for lockers. They have a mounting option called, I believe, ez-mount which doesn't require any holes drilled at all - there are a couple small, shallow prongs on the backside that just grab the back of the headstock when the bushing is tightened. These can go on anything with a modern shaft.

Would these SD90 work on Lefty guitars? I have a Larrivée (A RS-2 Lefty)that I'd like to get equipped with a set of them locking tuners, and I was wondering if these guys fit the bill.

The other guitar is a Hagström Super Swede that I got as a gift about 8 years ago. From your post it seems like this guitar has a "Grover" pattern tuner.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Yeah, 3x3 tuners work fine righty or lefty. It's the 6IL guitars you have to worry about, on account of both orientation and post stagger. The left one appears to be similar to Grover, but it looks a bit off. It might better take a Schaller or Gotoh replacement, actually. You'll want to start by measuring the distance from the center of the mounting screw to the center of the post, and compare that to other companies' tuners. That said, that's definitely a Grover Imperial-style button, so who knows?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I got this thing. For some reason the latest version (signature on headstock, I think also new pickups) is pretty hard to find. It looks, plays, and sounds terrific.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
those rule super hard

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Our drummer is leaving, so we need to record a couple of songs to help with getting a new one.

Bought a used Focusrite 18i8, a new Behringer ADA8200, and a pair of SM57s (we / I have a bunch of other mics, but I wanted '57s for the guitars). Now I have 12 channels of 16x48 mic inputs for under $400.

This is a good world we live in today. :3:

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Killbot posted:

I got this thing. For some reason the latest version (signature on headstock, I think also new pickups) is pretty hard to find. It looks, plays, and sounds terrific.

Really like the sorta jade-ey look to the tuners & the way it complements the green stain

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Found a bass combo that I a.) liked, and b.) could afford:

Trace Elliot 715X! The "shape" button sticks, but that's a fair hand-off and an easy enough fix for a $400 combo. The old setup is on the right (GK800RB + Mesa/Boogie Diesel 410) and nobody liked moving that thing around, wheels be damned.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Let's see more of this Billy Dee Williams poster!

The amp looks cool too.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Believe it or not, that's Snoop. Band practice is tonight, I'll snap a better photo because it's too good to not see.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

scuz posted:

Believe it or not, that's Snoop. Band practice is tonight, I'll snap a better photo because it's too good to not see.

I actually thought it might be Snoop even tho I haven't seen a poster like that. I'm excited.

I don't know dick about bass amps sorry I'm not more "amped" about that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
So it's my birthday, and the pawn shop texted me a 20% off coupon, so I went and bought something I've been watching for a while.

Per the serial number, a 1996 Samick-built Les Paul Special Double Cut

With a set-neck

From what I've been able to find, these were only made for a couple years in the mid 90s. It's missing a string, and the rest are rusty as hell. Neck is straight, frets are good, if a bit yellow/green from never being cleaned. Whole thing is just dirty. Seriously, does no one ever wipe things down? Bridge volume pot is iffy, but seems to be clearing up the more it gets turned back and forth. Played around with it at the pawn shop and couldn't find any issues that weren't related to the lovely Line 6 amp I was using. My cost out the door was $177, which I'm pretty happy with.