Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
If I bounced off Skyfactory 3 because the early game felt so painfully (I won't say stupidly, some people enjoy that, just not me) grindy, are there other skyblock packs that make that less of a chore or are they all like that?

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015
The only skyblock packs I've played are the first Agrarian Skies and Project Ozone 2, so I'm not sure how they compare to Skyfactory, but Ozone has a few things to ease the early grind a bit. Veinminer to quickly break things, whatever it is that makes basic trees grow fast by crouching/running, and a very early quest that gives a Redstone Arsenal crook that doesn't lose charge on wood/leaves.

If you've played Agrarian Skies, then I'd say Ozone is less grindy. At least if felt like it to me. :shrug:

e: Also, if you play on the Gardens of Glass map setting (the actual skyblock) you can just shift+rightclick on grass to get stone bits to make into cobble.

Pi In The Sky fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 13, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Played a bit more Project Ozone 2 today. I decided to start off the day with a bit of fun. I have been ignoring all of the Chance Cubes and etc I get from all of the rewards, so I thought I would pop a few. An online tutorial taught me to build a chance pendant to increase the luck of from these chance cubes. I went far away from my base and opened a few. I got several good drops! The big one spawned a huge aquarium filled with squids! I might use that for something later. Another dropped three spawn eggs, for cow/pig/sheep. That is very handy, as I did not have any way of finding those animals, I can now steal their souls to put in a Minefactory Reloaded spawner! :twisted: I got a few bad ones too, some explosions, etc I also got some sort of artificial hive? :confused:

Next I decided to start grinding through some of the quests. I needed to get through a bunch of Agricraft plant breeding in order to get to Magical Crops and Botania. This was really boring! Eventually I ran into a brick wall, I could not breed magical plants without Podzoil (wtf is that?). To make Podzoil I needed spruce leaves (I dont have spruce, only oak!) or I needed an Ender IO machine to infuse or some such :(

Well I was determined to get that Podzoil, so I had to be diverted to another project I have been putting off: my machine shop. I can put it off no longer! I built a bunch of Ender IO and Thermal Expansion machines that I needed for the intermediary steps to make the Podzoil machine. I found a lot of the machines did not like Extra Utilities energy wires, but they all work fine mainlining the Ender-Battery power! I moved the machines into my crafting cube for easy access, and made several extra Ender-Battery ports for additional future machines. The Ender-Batteries connect directly to my underground Big Reactor (it is deep underground in case of meltdown :ohdear:). I was not able to make a lot of these Ender Batteries before, as they require tones of redstone/diamond/ender pearl. Lucky for me those are a few of the many Magical Crops I put down, so I can now craft Ender-Batteries all I want :)

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 13, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You can get a spruce seed by sieving dirt.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
lol

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I think you can cycle through the different saplings by throwing them at a mana pool with an alchemy catalyst too.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"as i was unable to find cows for leather, i decided to bootstrap my UU Matter plant from the ground up"

*rotten flesh -> leather smelting recipe languishes in NEI*

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh poo poo Immersive Engineering added turrets!

quote:

- added RazorWire! It pricks and slows, and you can electrify it.
- added Fluid Concrete. Slows entities down and immobilizes them when it dries
- added a Potion fluid. Effects vary on NBT data. Works in the Chemthrower, can be bottled in Bottling Machine.
- added blocks for (almost) all IE Fluids
- added the Mixer! It mixes solid components into fluids to make concrete or various potions!
- added Turrets! Configurable targeting, currently allowing for fluids (Chemthrower) or bullets (Revolver) as ammo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mzbundifund posted:

You can get a spruce seed by sieving dirt.

:negative:

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Played a bit more Project Ozone 2 today. I decided to start off the day with a bit of fun. I have been ignoring all of the Chance Cubes and etc I get from all of the rewards, so I thought I would pop a few. An online tutorial taught me to build a chance pendant to increase the luck of from these chance cubes. I went far away from my base and opened a few. I got several good drops! The big one spawned a huge aquarium filled with squids! I might use that for something later. Another dropped three spawn eggs, for cow/pig/sheep. That is very handy, as I did not have any way of finding those animals, I can now steal their souls to put in a Minefactory Reloaded spawner! :twisted: I got a few bad ones too, some explosions, etc I also got some sort of artificial hive? :confused:

Before you open any more giant cubes, watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLc9ttjxFPY&t=279s.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

How has that stupid Nvidia driver bug still not been fixed after all this time? Dear lord.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cryohazard posted:

Before you open any more giant cubes, watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLc9ttjxFPY&t=279s.

What mod makes those little drone-robot looking things in the farm you see around 7:00?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cryohazard posted:

Before you open any more giant cubes, watch

:eyepop:
I was not far enough away. Dear God.....

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 13, 2017

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Toadsmash posted:

How has that stupid Nvidia driver bug still not been fixed after all this time? Dear lord.
Which one? The minecraft specific one was fixed a while ago.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

The newest Nvidia driver still doesn't play well with 1.7.10 modpacks. Ones running on a newer Minecraft version seem to run fine. At least, for my client. Project Ozone 2 and Agrarian Skies 2 both produce that "here's a bunch of blocks we couldn't load, bye" error for me with the current driver installed.

Pi In The Sky
Dec 31, 2015

Evil Mastermind posted:

What mod makes those little drone-robot looking things in the farm you see around 7:00?

BC Robotics, I believe.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Does someone know which driver version does work fine with 1.7.10? I tried rolling back to the December driver and mine's still busted.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Is there a 1.10 pack with Mystical Agriculture and Agricraft that I can steal some configs from? Skyfactory 3 is only missing Agricraft to be something close to my perfect pack.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
I was not far enough away. Dear God.....

Others have said this before, but play it safe and open chance cubes in a different dimension that's not the overworld, nether, or the end. Especially if it spawns the Notch wither... or aforementioned draconic reactor explosion.

I'm about 15 hours into ATM Expert (1.10.2) and it almost feels like a variant of GT New Horizons, except no greg ore spawning. I'm actually having fun... exploring rockhounding and making all these fancy alloys.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Rutibex posted:

The Ender-Batteries connect directly to my underground Big Reactor (it is deep underground in case of meltdown :ohdear:).

Unless Project Ozone hosed with it, Big Reactors do not explode. The worst that happens is you get a reactor with lovely overall performance, as it was made by a goon who grasps that poo poo randomly exploding if you don't do everything just right is not fun.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I don't want to break the plants entirely, the crop sticks make the plants regenerate for multiple harvests. I was thinking I might use a few Minefactory Reloaded Harvesters to grab the drop automatically. I need something to make use of that big nuclear generator!

I have found the EnderIO Farming station to be rather good, that and the ultimate furnace from Magical Crops - it smelts a stack in like 3 seconds

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

If I bounced off Skyfactory 3 because the early game felt so painfully (I won't say stupidly, some people enjoy that, just not me) grindy, are there other skyblock packs that make that less of a chore or are they all like that?

I would say that SF3 is the least grindy skyblock ive played... (at least to start)

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Stop bolding every goddamn mod name, Rootin Tootin Tex Mex

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Toadsmash posted:

This is how skyblocks work yes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Playstation 4 posted:

Stop bolding every goddamn mod name, Rootin Tootin Tex Mex

Make me :colbert:

I like to scroll through all of my posts to find specific ones some times. The bolds help out!

MechaCrash posted:

Unless Project Ozone hosed with it, Big Reactors do not explode. The worst that happens is you get a reactor with lovely overall performance, as it was made by a goon who grasps that poo poo randomly exploding if you don't do everything just right is not fun.

Yeah I know it won't explode, I just wanted an excuse to build it under the ice :v:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 13, 2017

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
In Skyfactory, no need to bother with steel production. Chickens that poop steel will do you better. I don't think they need quartz chickens either.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hey Vib Rib, thanks for making that EZ_TerraFirmaCraft pack. I've put about two in-game years of time into it, getting up to really early machine age (rock crusher, furnace) and building a red steel anvil (and forging an ultimate bucket). Really wish there was more after that in the quest book than "you either get to build Mekanism as your ultimate goal (FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF, probably the original quest line) OR use Immersive Engineering to bootstrap into Mekanism, which we'll start by coal coke, grinding it down to powder and then suddenly pivot in the same quest to building the Squeezer machine; say goodbye to your iron/steel/black steel!" :sigh:

I'm glad you did point out the Roller machine (and further intermediates) because I would otherwise have dropped the modpack. I can't imagine trying this poo poo with the default ore generation rules either; I haven't had to branch mine using a one block tool for years and it's not my idea of fun, even with the returns on a very large sample of a rich vein.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

I can't imagine trying this poo poo with the default ore generation rules either; I haven't had to branch mine using a one block tool for years and it's not my idea of fun, even with the returns on a very large sample of a rich vein.

At no point should you ever be branch mining in terrafirmacraft. Tools exist to let you find ore without it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

bbcisdabomb posted:

Is there a 1.10 pack with Mystical Agriculture and Agricraft that I can steal some configs from? Skyfactory 3 is only missing Agricraft to be something close to my perfect pack.

SF3 doesn't really need Agricraft. You can get all the different seeds through mixing / nature essence, and if you want to speed up crop growth look into a Growth Crystal mk2 from Actually Additions. It is so stupidly fast that an Enderio farming station can't keep up with a 7x7 plot.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

At no point should you ever be branch mining in terrafirmacraft. Tools exist to let you find ore without it.

Uhhhh...the prospector's pick gives something like a ~25 block radius fuzzy feeling of the concentration of ore. If you want to make certain you've cleared out most of a vein, particularly a rich one, you have to branch mine within the boundaries of the highest concentration.

I guess my terminology was off; I'm assuming you took branch mining to be multi-chunk long corridors at various layers that *might* reach ore. And no, I dick around the surface and open chasms tapping occasionally if mountains haven't exposed a vein or paying attention to metal chunks that litter a spot. I've only done concentrated mining in one spot for iron ore because it's used so much in the upper tiers and in machines.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 13, 2017

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Nevets posted:

SF3 doesn't really need Agricraft. You can get all the different seeds through mixing / nature essence, and if you want to speed up crop growth look into a Growth Crystal mk2 from Actually Additions. It is so stupidly fast that an Enderio farming station can't keep up with a 7x7 plot.

One of the people on the local server I'm on really loves Agricraft, so I'm going to add it in. I'd like to be able to grow MA and Botania flowers, but if I'd have to put in the effort to actually make the plants I'll just leave it limited to vanilla/HC.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

Uhhhh...the prospector's pick gives something like a ~25 block radius fuzzy feeling of the concentration of ore. If you want to make certain you've cleared out most of a vein, particularly a rich one, you have to branch mine within the boundaries of the highest concentration.

I guess my terminology was off; I'm assuming you took branch mining to be multi-chunk long corridors at various layers that *might* reach ore. And no, I dick around the surface and open chasms tapping occasionally if mountains haven't exposed a vein or paying attention to metal chunks that litter a spot. I've only done concentrated mining in one spot for iron ore because it's used so much in the upper tiers and in machines.

Ah, okay.

Still, you don't need to branch mine even when you've found the highest concentration area. Here's what you do:

* Locate patch of ore using pebbles. Aim for "center mass" of the pebbles, but it's not a big deal if you are off.
* Mine down, prospecting at each layer.
* Once you hit "very large," mine down an additional 13 blocks.
* Build a landing platform, with chest/water barrel/etc, then pick a direction and start mining.
* Prospect every 4 blocks as you build supports, and look for the border between Very Large and Large.
* Once you hit this border, turn around, and count 13 blocks backwards, doing additional mining if required.
* Once you hit 13 blocks, turn 90 degrees and repeat.
* You should have found it by now, but if you didn't, look for the 13 block spot in both directions, then start digging down.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Modular Powersuits, an excellent mod, looks like it's now on 1.10.2 and I already have it in my pack :c00lbutt:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How does one get to the end islands without flight? Is the answer 'build a bridge 1000 blocks long'? ATM Expert seems to be gating all jetpacks behind steel, and steel is gated behind chorus fruit.

Rending gale does seem to be craftable without steel, but it requires a 10% drop from charged creepers. Roots has a spell to call lightning tho, so some experimentation is required.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I've decided to revisit Blightfall. Last time around I got impatient with how things were gated and ended up cheating my way around the map before getting bored.

It's going much better this time around. I've just started the Thaumcraft stuff after finally working my way up to an iron tinkers pick. Got a servicable farm set-up, which I either need to expand or go turn off spice of life so I can eat bread forever.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RickVoid posted:

I've decided to revisit Blightfall. Last time around I got impatient with how things were gated and ended up cheating my way around the map before getting bored.

It's going much better this time around. I've just started the Thaumcraft stuff after finally working my way up to an iron tinkers pick. Got a servicable farm set-up, which I either need to expand or go turn off spice of life so I can eat bread forever.

Fun fact, Spice of Life (at least the version in Blightfall) doesn't know how to handle eating cake slices off a placed cake item, so it never hits you with diminishing returns. There's also a magic cake in the apocrypha tab of thaumcraft that regenerates its slices over time, far faster than you need to eat to live, so you can put it on a pedestal in your base and live off that one cake forever.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Blightfall is, like, the only pack I've ever played where Spice of Life is actually serving a functional purpose. It encourages you to go out and explore, to find the staples you need for your diet.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

RickVoid posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought Spice of Life was reconfigured in Blightfall to make an exception for eating bread forever. It'll have diminished returns but I don't think it'll turn into a game of slow-motion nibbling to no effect. There might be an issue of what kind of bread is allowed. The primitive bread from the crafting grid is different from vanilla bread--whose recipe has been changed to involve baking from flour.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm running the latest version of Minecraft. I open up the Mods menu, click on JourneyMap, click disable, but it doesn't disable. How can I disable it? Do I have to delete it? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lorini posted:

I'm running the latest version of Minecraft. I open up the Mods menu, click on JourneyMap, click disable, but it doesn't disable. How can I disable it? Do I have to delete it? Thanks.

Hit "J" to open the JourneyMap menu in game. There should be an option there to hide the interface.