Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

peanut posted:

You should probably apply to smaller local eikaiwa (hire year-round) in big cities or directly to bilingual schools. Your timing is bad, the new school year starts in April so I'd be wary of a place without a teacher lined up right now.

Ok, thanks. Do you have any names of local eikaiwas I should look into, or some that have a bad reputation and I should avoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Local would be like a family-owned business with 1-5 branches. Sorry but I only know my own (inaka) area.

Check Gaijinpot and Daijob and (lol) Dave's ESL Cafe.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
So I made it to Japan!

I've now got a phone number, got my living place registered, my health insurance card is on it's way. Now all I need is a bank account and a job to fill it up.

Please hire me! I'm a pasty ginger in a pinstripe suit walking around in Tokyo with a comically large bag. Come say hi or something when you see me anywhere.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You're supposed to get the job before you arrive.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You've got spunk kid, let me hire you. How does 100,000 USD a year sound? When can you start?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

peanut posted:

You're supposed to get the job before you arrive.

wayback machine:

Piano Maniac posted:

What's up, Japan thread.

I have married my beautiful Japanese wife, gotten my visa and next week I am starting my new life in Japan.
I'm quite worried about it, as I have learned quite a lot of Japanese, but I still can't properly read newspapers etc.
So next week, I'm going to take a dip in the deep end of the pool and start swimming.

What could I do so that my life in Japan would be as painless as possible? I have come in terms with the fact that it'll be hard as hell to find a new job there, move in with my wife etc. etc., but I try to stay optimistic, since my wife has been very supportive so far.
I am already reading/writing kanji every day to get them into my mind, but man, it's hard to remember new vocabulary in a functional sense.
What sort of techniques do you use to prepare for a N3+ level exams and so the new terms would become functional as well?
Are there any common gaijin pitfalls you would definitely like to warn about 100%?

Anyway, pray for this gaijin and I'll do my best!!

peanut posted:

If you have a spouse visa you can do whatever you want. First do an English monkey job to pay the bills while you get used to your new town. Later you can work in a brewery or hotel or computer stuff or be house husband.
Reading newspapers is a few years down the road so just chill and enjoy.

You might feel pressured to say Yes to every invitation from every buck-toothed friend-of-a-friend but I'd recommend not joining any hobby clubs etc. right away. Wait until you've found a genuine friend.

memory issues.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol I'll update my spreadsheet

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you were going to Tokyo for 3 nights with your wife and kid and wanted to see the standard stuff, what part of Tokyo would you stay in?

I currently have reservations at either:
The Prince Park Tower Tokyo
or
Hotel Ryumeikan

This VRBO (map) is also available for my dates.

Of course, I'm open to anything. We need to be able to sleep 3. I am not married to Western-style. What part of Tokyo to stay in would be quite helpful, as would critique on my current places.

Thank you!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

peanut posted:

lol I'll update my spreadsheet

Just take the alzheimers meds and you'll be good.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
spending extra money for a ridiculous amount of space in Tokyo isnt worth it imho and I'd just honestly do a business hotel or whatever cheap hotel that meets your criteria. Just get an extra room or something if you need to.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

It's not peanut's fault you FOBs all look the same to us.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ntan1 posted:

spending extra money for a ridiculous amount of space in Tokyo isnt worth it imho and I'd just honestly do a business hotel or whatever cheap hotel that meets your criteria. Just get an extra room or something if you need to.
Who sleeps in the 2nd room, my seven year old or my wife? While the question is a bit snarky, it's also serious. How the gently caress do Japanese travel with family? Finding a room that sleeps 3 is like the hunt for Red October.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

photomikey posted:

Who sleeps in the 2nd room, my seven year old or my wife? While the question is a bit snarky, it's also serious. How the gently caress do Japanese travel with family? Finding a room that sleeps 3 is like the hunt for Red October.

Might be hard if Western-style, any decent-sized Japanese-style room will certainly have at least 3 futons available.

Of your choices and given your requirements, I'd take the Ryumeikan or the VRBO. The Prince Park Tower is obviously good for Tokyo Tower but you otherwise might find its location a bit awkward (unless you just taxi everywhere) as it's mostly a business district. Staying near Tokyo Station (Ryumeikan) probably offers maximum travel convenience and the VRBO will put you close to Ueno, Asakusa and the Sky Tree, all popular destinations).

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DiscoJ posted:

Staying near Tokyo Station (Ryumeikan) probably offers maximum travel convenience
Can you comment on the legitimacy of this:

totalnewbie posted:

Tokyo Station area is dead, though, don't stay there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

photomikey posted:

Insofar as nightlife the immediate surrounding area of Tokyo station doesn't have much, but Ginza and Yurakucho are a short walk away and have stuff

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The area around Tokyo Station is mostly offices and really expensive shopping as far as I could tell.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The area around Tokyo Station is mostly offices and really expensive shopping as far as I could tell.

There are some bars/restaurants in the office buildings and such but thy empty out relatively early as people go to the aforementioned nearby areas/karaoke/prostitutes/whathaveyou

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

photomikey posted:

You're the one coming for Makuhari, right? Tokyo Station and Yurakucho Station are barely a 10 min. walk apart so no need to think of their areas as being completely different, there's a massive overlap. If you're prioritizing convenience for getting to Makuhari, the platform/station entrance you need is right between them. Staying closer to Yurakucho will put you closer to a livelier area as has been said, but staying around Tokyo station (especially on its southern side) will put you in basically the same place.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

DiscoJ posted:

You're the one coming for Makuhari, right?
No, check your spreadsheet. I'm the guy coming for cherry blossom season with my 7 year old and my wife.

That said, the rest of your advice is valuable and I appreciate it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We book for two adults. Futons are easiest, but if it's two beds, my husband gets his own bed, I share with our 6 yo, and the 1 yo sleeps on extra blankets on the floor.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Two twins? I got out the measuring tape and I don't think my 7 y/o and I (I'm the snuggly one, not my wife) could fit on a twin unless we spooned all night and didn't roll over.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
This is why futons are great. The floor can never be too small

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Looking at your itinerary again, you're all over the map. I'd say stay in Ryumeikan just for the convenience, assuming you plan to use public transport. You've got all the major JR lines you'll need at Tokyo station, including the shinkansen for when you head down to Kyoto. And if you include Otemachi station you've also got 5 subway lines. Versus Nezu where you've got just the one subway line. You're also far more likely to pass nearby Tokyo station so if you need to pop into the hotel to drop off shopping bags or something, it's very doable.

Also I noticed you a flea market listed. There's also one at Tokyo International Forum (at Yurakucho) two Sundays per month. Not sure the dates line up with your itinerary but maybe more convenient given the location instead of rushing through it on your last day prior to your flight.

As for nightlife, between Yaesu and Marunouchi there's a shitload of options. And when I say options I mean bars and restaurants -- it's a more G-rated and upscale area than Ueno.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

We book for two adults. Futons are easiest, but if it's two beds, my husband gets his own bed, I share with our 6 yo, and the 1 yo sleeps on extra blankets on the floor.

yeah this too.

At this point, it sounds like you'll be happy with an expensive western hotel. Go ahead with whatever you want, if that will give you ease of mind.

PS: you're not making the tuna auctions if you get there at 5AM. You're going to have to get there before 2AM. Also, the Tuna auctions are not worth it.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011
News from the front: I'm slowly getting used to the Japanese way of life, the endless bowing and of course the language. Sometimes I don't really understand what they say so I smile sweetly and bow. I think it's working.
Shibuya was just like in the animes.
One thing that I miss is being able to buy dress shirts in a shop and even the largest size (LL) had the sleeves too short. My wife suggested me a shop called Sakazen, which is supposed to be a shop for big and tall Japanese. Let's try it out.

Also what's the deal with smoking? I thought everybody smoked like chimneys here in Japan, but instead it's like that one episode from Black Books where smokers are being huddled into small cramped smoking areas instead. I just wanna vape, drat it, not reek like ciggy smoke all the time!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I had my dress shirts made to measure in Hong Kong for like $50 a piece. Best shirts I have ever worn.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011

Mandalay posted:

I had my dress shirts made to measure in Hong Kong for like $50 a piece. Best shirts I have ever worn.

Hong Kong? That's a bit far isn't it? :P But if the push becomes a shove, I'll think about it. I'm not that big or tall though.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Piano Maniac posted:

Also what's the deal with smoking? I thought everybody smoked like chimneys here in Japan, but instead it's like that one episode from Black Books where smokers are being huddled into small cramped smoking areas instead. I just wanna vape, drat it, not reek like ciggy smoke all the time!

That was 5 years ago. Welcome to the modern age.

Have you considered not smoking/vaping at all?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Sakazen and there's a Big & Tall shop between Aoyama and Gaienmae somewhere too.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011

ntan1 posted:

That was 5 years ago. Welcome to the modern age.

Have you considered not smoking/vaping at all?

Never! I'll keep on keeping on and just go with the flow :P It's just a bit of a culture shock for me.

By the way, is there any IRC channel for people in Japan?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's a line group you have to add me to join (lol)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Piano Maniac posted:

News from the front: I'm slowly getting used to the Japanese way of life, the endless bowing and of course the language. Sometimes I don't really understand what they say so I smile sweetly and bow. I think it's working.
Shibuya was just like in the animes.
One thing that I miss is being able to buy dress shirts in a shop and even the largest size (LL) had the sleeves too short. My wife suggested me a shop called Sakazen, which is supposed to be a shop for big and tall Japanese. Let's try it out.

Went to Sakazen on Sunday in Shibuya. They had shirts for my fat neck. Goon approved!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I can only buy pants at Sakazen because I have a giant rear end.

Piano Maniac
Oct 10, 2011

peanut posted:

There's a line group you have to add me to join (lol)

Cheers, mate! I feel welcome already.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
While you're at it can someone add me back?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

a giant rear end.

don't sign your posts

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How much of a pain is it to get around in smaller cities without a car? I'm applying to schools in places like Kanazawa and Yamaguchi, and I'm seeing a lot of listings that say a driver's licence is preferred. Thing is, I hated driving in the U.S., and while I have a valid U.S. driver's licence, I have no idea how or if it's even possible to convert it to an international one.

I've got no problem with living in the inaka; when I first moved to Taiwan I lived for two years in a town of about 50,000 people and spoke no Chinese and liked it just fine, but I also had a scooter to get around with. If I moved to one of these smaller cities in Japan would I be fine with just a bike or a scooter?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
2 weeks to go until i'm hitting up japan. Got my railpass already in. Spending the last 2 weeks learning Hiragana.
Looking forward to this.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Sefal posted:

2 weeks to go until i'm hitting up japan. Got my railpass already in. Spending the last 2 weeks learning Hiragana.
Looking forward to this.

If you're going to learn only one Japanese writing system, katakana is going to be more useful to you than hiragana when traveling. You're not going to see a lot of words that are written in only hiragana, but with katakana, you'll at least be able to tell where you can get a plate of カレー, or which way the nearest エレベーター is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Araki posted:

If you're going to learn only one Japanese writing system, katakana is going to be more useful to you than hiragana when traveling. You're not going to see a lot of words that are written in only hiragana, but with katakana, you'll at least be able to tell where you can get a plate of カレー, or which way the nearest エレベーター is.

Oh. The guide im reading is recomending to 1st learn hiragana and then katakana. I can skip hiragana?