Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

No one knows if rates are going up or down. Realtors have veen saying that rates are going up for years and they were wrong 80% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The FED is signaling it will raise interest rates repeatedly this year. However, mortgage rates are loosely coupled at best, and are much more reactive to home buying activity than they are to the general interest rate picture.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes that's the rational sober long term advice, great points. It's still a bad idea to not lock in now because rates will be higher in June than they are now. That's just gonna be what happens, it's not that bold of a prediction.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes that's the rational sober long term advice, great points. It's still a bad idea to not lock in now because rates will be higher in June than they are now. That's just gonna be what happens, it's not that bold of a prediction.

Except like he said, nobody is gonna lock in a rate for 4 months...

Large Hardon Collider
Nov 28, 2005

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Well, both lenders I talked to actually will lock in the rate for an eighth over today's rate. So 3.5% instead of 3.375%. That's less of a jump than I expected, so I will lock for peace of mind.

Now to sell equities to fund the down payment. Opened an Ally savings account so I can earn 1%.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pryor on Fire posted:

Rate locks over such a long period often come at a price, of either a higher interest rate or simply additional cash (or both). You're basically predicting that interest rates will be higher enough in 3 months that the additional interest cost on his mortgage will exceed the cost of the rate lock, but that isn't necessarily the case; if interest rates only increase by 0.125% then the rate lock is a waste of time, and it's also possible for rates to dip some

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Large Hardon Collider posted:

Well, both lenders I talked to actually will lock in the rate for an eighth over today's rate. So 3.5% instead of 3.375%. That's less of a jump than I expected, so I will lock for peace of mind.

Now to sell equities to fund the down payment. Opened an Ally savings account so I can earn 1%.

Not bad, nice work.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So is Ally the best savings account? I'm wanting to open an account because screw WF interest rates.

E: Sorry, I thought this was a different finance thread. If it helps the accounts gonna be to save down payment dollars.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 9, 2017

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

lampey posted:

There are two main types of foreclosed homes, reo, and auction on the court steps. Rel estate owned is what happens after no one bids higher than the bank at a tax auction, or when the bank forecloses on the home and there is no auction. In most ways it is similar to a normal home for sale. The bank wants as much money as possible and to sell as quick as possible. Generally they are less willing to do repairs and they are often exempt from disclosing any problems, they wouldnt know about them anyways. It also takes a little longer to close usually. The homes are usually not in great condition or else the previous owner would not have been foreclosed on, but they may still have the utilities on so you can inspect more easily. There are a lot more of this type for sale.

Tax lien auctions and other auctions will vary a little from area to area. You usually get an imperfect title so it can be harder to sell in the future. You usually have to pay cash the same day so financing is not available. The real savings is here because you are only competing with cash buyers. If there was a mortgage the bank will usually bid up to what was owed. For someone to neglect paying taxes to the point that it is sold usually means the house is in terrible condition. You may not have any access to the inside of the home to inspect and it may be occupied.

Elephanthead posted:

The home needs to be in livable condition or you won't be able to get a normal mortgage. There are construction mortgages but they have fees and they will want you to use licensed contractors and other things. I think if it is a newer 1999 built home you probably won't have many code issues.

Thank you guys, appreciate it.

I mentioned what I said about the possibility of foreclosed homes in my original and how far away from it I was to someone and they said something along the lines of "you also have to be careful about the fact the previous owner can jump in at anytime and you're left having lost some money" is this true if the house has been foreclosed on? I would assume that once a foreclosure happens it's completely open for sale. Is what she said true, and if so to what extent? It sounds like one of those things that could be technically true under certain very unlikely circumstances. Is this what pre-foreclosure is?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I mentioned what I said about the possibility of foreclosed homes in my original and how far away from it I was to someone and they said something along the lines of "you also have to be careful about the fact the previous owner can jump in at anytime and you're left having lost some money" is this true if the house has been foreclosed on? I would assume that once a foreclosure happens it's completely open for sale. Is what she said true, and if so to what extent? It sounds like one of those things that could be technically true under certain very unlikely circumstances. Is this what pre-foreclosure is?

If the house is completely foreclosed the old owner is free to bid along side you, but their odds of winning are pretty low. If it is in any state other than completely foreclosed/bank owned then the property owner could magically come up with all the cash to satisfy the bank or a short-sale buyer willing to pay the bank off.

My parents have bought several sketchy houses at tax auctions in front of the courthouse. Do not do this unless you enjoy to-the-studs renovation as a DIY project. Their homes came with all the previous occupants trash, including a fridge of food, no electric meter (remember that fridge of food?), and locked out water.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

There's the possibility that the foreclosure paperwork was misfiled or erroneous in some way, in which case the title is cloudy as gently caress. Apparently homes that were foreclosed on during the mortgage crisis are more likely to be in this state. Naturally, at an auction you're not going to get to review any of that stuff

We were in escrow on a foreclosure once and encountered exactly the above; the foreclosure paperwork was filed after some date that a judge said the foreclosure had to be filed by, and our real estate attorney told us to run as far away as we could because this made the title cloudy

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

If you buy at home at the county tax auction in MI the old owner has 6 months to redeem it. You would get any money spent on the house back, and you should wait until the period is over before spending money repairing the home. The redemption period varies by state and not all foreclosures have a redemption period. There can be other title issues though. Tax auctions generally clear all other liens, but other types of foreclosure can still have liens owed

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Turns out that type of house I'd been looking out are mostly "Horizontal Property Regimes", a complex ownership structure in which the owner only owns the land under the foundation and a 3rd party legal organization owns the surrounding land, which is shared with other nearby homeowners. I'm bothered by this, does anyone have experience with detached homes that in a situation like this? Apparently all these houses are like this because it's a legal way to subdivide larger lots without going through actual splitting of existing lots. The end result is higher density without the consent of neighborhood homeowners, which I'm not too worried about. I just see this as even more risk because it's like the worst of condo ownership combined with the worst of detached single family homeownership.

Here's one of the better summaries of the structure I've seen: http://info.rochfordlawyers.com/resources/real-estate-title/horizontal-property-regimes-hprs-nashville

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Twerk from Home posted:

Turns out that type of house I'd been looking out are mostly "Horizontal Property Regimes", a complex ownership structure in which the owner only owns the land under the foundation and a 3rd party legal organization owns the surrounding land, which is shared with other nearby homeowners. I'm bothered by this, does anyone have experience with detached homes that in a situation like this? Apparently all these houses are like this because it's a legal way to subdivide larger lots without going through actual splitting of existing lots. The end result is higher density without the consent of neighborhood homeowners, which I'm not too worried about. I just see this as even more risk because it's like the worst of condo ownership combined with the worst of detached single family homeownership.

Here's one of the better summaries of the structure I've seen: http://info.rochfordlawyers.com/resources/real-estate-title/horizontal-property-regimes-hprs-nashville

Ever seen a really old cartoon or sitcom where there was some misunderstanding about where property lines were, so neighbors would purposely mark off delineations in inconvenient ways or challenge the most basic point of contention just to be dicks?

Yeah, imagine that but with multiple neighbors doing it all at once and with little recourse in terms of going to court about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

It's basically a condo but with two detached structures. Enjoy your HOA meeting with your idiot neighbor, no way to have tie-splitting votes, and their dog pooping up against your house where they then leave it because it's communal property and you can't pass a bylaw to prevent it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

gently caress that. Renting it is, I guess. I can't afford a place that isn't an HPR where I'd like to be. I wish they had just subdivided the lots, 25' wide lots are fine!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That sounds like a bunch of bored old white people getting annoyed with how much the state limits their ability to control their HOA neighbors, so they invented an even worse structure to get the control they actually want.

Also a backdoor way to just sort of slumlord the gently caress out of whatever lots you own.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

That sounds like a bunch of bored old white people getting annoyed with how much the state limits their ability to control their HOA neighbors, so they invented an even worse structure to get the control they actually want.

Also a backdoor way to just sort of slumlord the gently caress out of whatever lots you own.

Does it count as slumlording if you're selling them to yuppies for $450k? Almost all of the homes under $600k in this area are these HPRs, with no lot ownership and fully detached buildings that are legally condos: https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/37209/filter/sort=lo-dollarsqft,min-beds=3,viewport=36.18689:36.11967:-86.80463:-86.92719

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Interesting... why is Nashville blowing up so much?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

Interesting... why is Nashville blowing up so much?

Same story as any other city? Tech jobs, people want to live close and not in the burbs if possible, and it's really hard to build new housing stock close in because of zoning / NIMBY / anti-development laws. All of the demand pressure for new housing is getting vented through whatever stupid legal loophole works, which in Nashville is these HPRs where you've got huge numbers of detached buildings that are condos for legal purposes.

I'm seeing a bunch of 4-packs too, where a single lot has been subdivided into 4:

It just sucks to be in the group of targeted customers (victims?) of these, who wants to not be 30+ minutes away from downtown, wants / needs 3 bedrooms, and can afford $350k-500k but can't even consider the $600k-800k that normal single family homes are.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I don't think the HPRs are actively predatory, it's just the political will isn't there to do a blanket update of the zoning code and builders don't want to bother officially splitting lots because it takes months and you have to notify the neighbors and have a hearing and bullshit (someone actually did split a lot across the alley from me and I was getting mail about it from zoning for a while). But yeah, I was put off by it too and lucked into finding a normal house. I'm sure it's fine 90% of the time but that 10%...

edit: I do think you could find a SFH meeting your criteria in the 4-500 range. Might take longer though. Ex https://www.redfin.com/TN/Nashville/5306-Tennessee-Ave-37209/home/87826404

https://www.redfin.com/TN/Nashville/4711-Michigan-Ave-37209/home/108084041

https://www.redfin.com/TN/Nashville/2351-Herman-St-37208/home/60694540

Thufir fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 13, 2017

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Also the current HPR rules are actually an improvement on they way it used to be, which was that you could build two units on the same lot as a duplex, but they had to be a single structure. So you would get weird designs of mostly-separate houses that slightly touched, and some of them were really weird:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I saw a house pop up on Redfin on Friday for 215k that was pretty good. Remodeled in 2013, really nice looking interior, wood floors, good location, etc. 1000 sq ft but it's kind of an expensive area. Across the street from a park, no less. Doesn't have a garage but, oh well. If I were actually serious about buying a house, I'd have called the realtor first thing Monday.

Turns out, it really was a good deal because Redfin status just changed to pending.

I don't know how you even finish inspections in that amount of time.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

totalnewbie posted:

There can be all kinds of delay and inaccuracy in online postings, unless you are looking at the MLS directly, and even then there can be some lag.

Also, I know a guy who was going to put his house on the market, but before he could even do that his Realtor found him an interested buyer, who went under contract on the house, but they still put it up on the market just in case, and it immediately went up as pending on all the sites. His case was actually pretty interesting because the buyer was actually already under contract with another house, which they broke, giving up their deposit money, because they wanted my friends house. Apparently the had "settled" on the other house as being the best they could find in the neighborhood, until my friend's house came along.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I saw a house pop up on Redfin on Friday for 215k that was pretty good. Remodeled in 2013, really nice looking interior, wood floors, good location, etc. 1000 sq ft but it's kind of an expensive area. Across the street from a park, no less. Doesn't have a garage but, oh well. If I were actually serious about buying a house, I'd have called the realtor first thing Monday.

Turns out, it really was a good deal because Redfin status just changed to pending.

Why would you need to finish inspections? Why would you even pay for an inspection unless you have an accepted offer? That's what an inspection contingency in the contract is for.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
About how long after an accepted offer do inspections take place? I'm morbidly curious about the cracked walls in my house so I kinda want to be a fly on the wall during the inspection assuming it sells as fast as the realtor claims it will.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Problem! posted:

About how long after an accepted offer do inspections take place? I'm morbidly curious about the cracked walls in my house so I kinda want to be a fly on the wall during the inspection assuming it sells as fast as the realtor claims it will.

IIRC our contract had a defined window in which we could do our inspection, I think we had to have it down within 2 weeks of the offer being accepted or something like that.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Motronic posted:

Why would you need to finish inspections? Why would you even pay for an inspection unless you have an accepted offer? That's what an inspection contingency in the contract is for.

Oh right, that did always confused me about the inspections part of buying a house (how people could be so willing to pay so much for one).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

totalnewbie posted:

Oh right, that did always confused me about the inspections part of buying a house (how people could be so willing to pay so much for one).

For an inspection? Because a competent one can steer you away from a house that has five figures (or more) worth of problems that you might not identify otherwise.

When we bought both of our houses, I think we had a week after the offer was accepted to do the inspection. I know in some of the ridiculously hot housing markets right now, there are stories of homes selling for 150%-200% of asking price with zero contingencies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

If the inspection finds something that you can live with but that would cost substantial money to fix, they can wind up paying for themselves in the form of seller's concessions. And a good inspector will give you suggestions on how soon things might need to be replaced, how often they should be maintained, how to identify maintenance problems that you as a new homeowner might not otherwise know how to find, etc

If the inspection finds something that you can't live with then they've saved you like... hundreds of thousands of dollars

Always get an inspection

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
And don't go with the financing company or home inspector recommended by your realtor. You want an impartial 3rd party.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh, I meant, I didn't know why people could pay so much for an inspection before putting in an offer on a house but it makes sense to do it after your offer is accepted but just have a clause in the offer for you to be able to back out :shobon:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yes welcome to adulthood that's how buying a house works.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

totalnewbie posted:

Oh, I meant, I didn't know why people could pay so much for an inspection before putting in an offer on a house but it makes sense to do it after your offer is accepted but just have a clause in the offer for you to be able to back out :shobon:

Lots of markets basically require you to waive inspection clause, thus - pre inspections. So if you're house hunting, you can expect to plunk down several hundred for each potential offer.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Drunk Tomato posted:

Lots of markets basically require you to waive inspection clause, thus - pre inspections. So if you're house hunting, you can expect to plunk down several hundred for each potential offer.

That's shady as gently caress.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In my city there's a company very well-regarded for their inspections, so sellers will often provide one from them. That's what my PO did, and the inspector friend I asked said there was no point having it reinspected because the company was top notch and cared about their rep.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Put an above asking price offer in with escalation on a place and got beat out by two cash offers that were above even our escalation ceiling. It's crazy to me that this is the case on a home above $500K. This market sucks rear end.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

totalnewbie posted:

That's shady as gently caress.

It's not the sellers being shady but there being some other potential buyers out there who are eager/dumb enough to make and offer without that contingency. If you're the seller, why would you accept a weaker offer with a higher risk (inspection comes back negative, they back out, now you have to disclose problems to future buyers!) unless they were willing to pay a premium?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Skipping the inspection seems to be increasingly common here in Colorado. All the "Googler" fuckheads buying the places don't care, they will just tear the house down and build a new monstrosity anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The last two places I bought I didn't even have a financing contingency (though the second one was unusual). The place I sold didn't have a financing contingency either, and that actually caused some problems for the purchasers.