Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh man, I gotta say another thing that's a little too punishing about this game is the knockback. Usually its trivial and whatever, but every once in awhile somebody happens to knock you off a ledge and gently caress that just ruined everything. Link can go ragdolling down an entire mountain, down into a river, where you don't have enough stamina to actually climb back out or swim anywhere safe. Or worse, you fall somewhere on the ground and you don't actually die, so now you have to slowly work your way back up the mountain to get back to where you were and finish off that enemy who was almost dead, but managed to send you flying.

Its like Castlevania 1 levels of knockback punishment.

Kawabata posted:

the desert boss ganon thing is the most awkward boss fight ive ever seen in a videogame. complete poo poo gameplay at 10fps

Yeah I straight up hated that fight. Maybe my least favorite fight in any zelda game ever. It was just a mess. I knew exactly what to do but ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh man, I gotta say another thing that's a little too punishing about this game is the knockback. Usually its trivial and whatever, but every once in awhile somebody happens to knock you off a ledge and gently caress that just ruined everything. Link can go ragdolling down an entire mountain, down into a river, where you don't have enough stamina to actually climb back out or swim anywhere safe. Or worse, you fall somewhere on the ground and you don't actually die, so now you have to slowly work your way back up the mountain to get back to where you were and finish off that enemy who was almost dead, but managed to send you flying.

See I think this is great. Getting sent flying off a mountain and watching Link smack his face on every rock down the way is hilarious.

One day I hope to get knocked off a cliff, proc Mipha's Grace mid-fall, and then fall far enough to die again anyways.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I straight up hated that fight. Maybe my least favorite fight in any zelda game ever. It was just a mess. I knew exactly what to do but ugh.

The main issue with that fight is the arena

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Zaphod42 posted:

Its like Castlevania 1 levels of knockback punishment.

Honestly, it's kind of a shame seeing a Nintendo game running so poorly (in places). Nintendo games usually feel so responsive because they run so smooth, and when you see that kind of stutter it becomes much more noticeable, more so than when other companies products release something that has similar performance hitches.

And I say that while still thinking this game is awesome, by the way.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
DLC hard mode idea: Link gets fatter as he eats

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Who's the pig-man NOW, Ganon?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
where's my best bet for an electric trout

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I was fuckin around at night near dueling peaks trying to find things to take pictures of and there is a giant fuckoff Lightning dragon in the distance

:ohdear:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Suspicious Dish posted:

where's my best bet for an electric trout

Best place is the Hyrule Ridge tower. You know, the one surrounded by a lake that's a party spot for Electric Wizzrobes. The lake has a bunch of voltfin trout in it. If you haven't been there, you could try swimming through Zora's River. I got my voltfin trout from that river while doing the message in a bottle quest.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Reminded of the Sonic mod that makes him get fatter everytime he grabs a ring

Hard mode probably will have some restriction on eating though, like a fullness meter. Something to keep Link from breaking out a buffet table in the middle of every battle.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 12, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

I was fuckin around at night near dueling peaks trying to find things to take pictures of and there is a giant fuckoff Lightning dragon in the distance

:ohdear:

Go give him a hug!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Honestly, I knew a week ago that Jim was going to give Zelda a silly score. Not that 7/10 isnt a "good" score, it is, but it clearly doesnt reflect the actual quality of this game. He has had beef with Nintendo for ages, and has likely given this review the score it got without being able to seperate the morons who make the legal decisions at Nintendo (which hes bang on about) and the guys who make the games at Nintendo. Its a drat shame, because normally I think hes pretty fair with his reviews but this is just the latest chapter in his long running issues with Nintendo.

Macintosh HD posted:

So who is this Jim everyone is mentioning

http://www.thejimquisition.com/

He's something of a marmite video game critic. Famous for his weekly rant videos.

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 13, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Step right up and buy some bananas!"

Yeah sure bro. Just let me put my armor on and pick out a good weapon first.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So uh, I'm doing the Goron dungeon right now and only have like 7 hearts.

Am I going to regret this?

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

FiftySeven posted:

Honestly, I knew a week ago that Jim was going to give Zelda a silly score. Not that 7/10 isnt a "good" score, it is, but it clearly doesnt reflect the actual quality of this game. He has had beef with Nintendo for ages, and has likely given this review the score it got without being able to seperate the morons who make the legal decisions at Nintendo (which hes bang on about) and the guys who make the games at Nintendo. Its a drat shame, because normally I think hes pretty fair with his reviews but this is just the latest chapter in his long running issues with Nintendo.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/

He's something of a marmite video game critic. Famous for his weekly rant videos.

Oh, I figured it might've been him but I didn't see a Zelda review on his YouTube channel so I assumed I was wrong.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cojawfee posted:

"Step right up and buy some bananas!"

Yeah sure bro. Just let me put my armor on and pick out a good weapon first.

i didn't notice what was going on the first time until i saw the banana prices. i was just like, oh man, bananas, yeah i could use those. gimme all you got. wait how much does that cost wait a minute here

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

squidgee posted:

Nope. There's very few enemies and the boss isn't that hard. Hits pretty hard though so eat up armor stuff

Ok I'm sure I've climbed every single mountain and summit on Gerudo Summit/area north of Gerudo and I still have not found the tower for that area. What gives?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know I've said before this game doesn't seem to be my bag but god drat if it doesn't keep trying to draw me in anyway. I'll sit down, get up later disgusted then realize it's been two hours. :stare:

Since exploration is a thing I'm bad at/can't do, are there any Official Guides® that are any good? I wouldn't object to something to read while at work, otherwise I'd just google about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
HOW CAN YOU CALL A QUEST "A SONG OF STORMS" IF YOU DON'T PLAY THE SONG OF STORMS?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also spoil for me, do you ever get a Zora's Fins or analogue because using Cryonis all the time is agonizing, especially because if you whiff and land in the water you're 100% hosed

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

DarthBlingBling posted:

you lose weight by swimming up waterfalls

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Also spoil for me, do you ever get a Zora's Fins or analogue because using Cryonis all the time is agonizing, especially because if you whiff and land in the water you're 100% hosed

You can climb the ice blocks.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Calaveron posted:

Nope. There's very few enemies and the boss isn't that hard. Hits pretty hard though so eat up armor stuff

Ok I'm sure I've climbed every single mountain and summit on Gerudo Summit/area north of Gerudo and I still have not found the tower for that area. What gives?

Good to know. I figured I wouldn't have gotten this far if it were an issue, but given the lack of handholding in this game...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Cojawfee posted:

And yes you get a chest piece for plot reasons but the pantaloons are an optional sidequest and the hat is in an optional area

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I've lost count of the number of times I've jumped to the next block and Link decides, instead of climbing, to fall down and swim under the block thus dispelling it and leaving me stranded

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The spin attack from the helmet is completely useless though so don't get excited for that. I couldn't even kill some octorocks with it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Every time I try to climb something it starts raining and I just have to leave the room for 10 minutes, so I'm guessing Zelda games just aren't for me.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Every time I try to climb something it starts raining and I just have to leave the room for 10 minutes, so I'm guessing Zelda games just aren't for me.
After slipping, climb for 3 seconds then leap. You will immediately slide but you will also actually be going up at a fairly steady rate.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Try to find another way around, usually there's some other place you can approach so you don't even have to climb, or so you can climb in short bursts with ledges.

But yeah the rain really is my least favorite part of this game. Its way too punishing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So doing this Zora side-quest... did I just enable a pedophile?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The guy's pretty young, and given how zora age slower she's probably older than he is.

But yeah, you did.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I really like how they redesigned the zoras here. Their heads are literally dolphins.
Gorons really don't change much between games but they're probably the most redesigned race in the entire series (they always look different in every game they're in minus MM.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah it's messed up that she'd prey on a young guy like that

E: dammit Bruceski

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Why are people trying to cross big bodies of water using the ice blocks? Just glide over it or go around it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm fine with the rain mechanic usually since it doesn't rain often. However, when you're in a place where it rains frequently that also has a ton of cliffs its super annoying. Akalla is the worst when it comes to this. Lots of cliffs, rains basically every loving day.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The kid specifically mentions that Zora's don't grow tall quickly. Also the guy looks pretty young so I think they are both supposed to be teens.

Its still weird though. At least the Zora kid acts pretty mature for her supposed age. Unlike Purah who is just awful awful awful.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zaphod42 posted:

Try to find another way around, usually there's some other place you can approach so you don't even have to climb, or so you can climb in short bursts with ledges.

But yeah the rain really is my least favorite part of this game. Its way too punishing.

yeah there are usually ways to deal with rain: wait it out, find a sheltered spot to start a fire and pass time, find another way around, use (spoiler i guess, idk) the rito power etc.

but it's still dumb and there are places where it's forced to rain no matter how long you wait. i wish wearing a piece of Zora gear or w/e made you immune to slipping during rain!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

comingafteryouall posted:

Why are people trying to cross big bodies of water using the ice blocks? Just glide over it or go around it.

Sometimes what you want is in the middle and there's no obvious glide spot?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

squidgee posted:

Depends on how good you are at parrying fireballs :getin:

Honestly gently caress hearts for the most part. I think I had something like 5 or 6 real hearts total until I maxxed out my stamina bar; durians are plentiful and max stamina is far more useful for just about every situation that's not "getting slapped in the face by a lynel". I've obviously got more now later, but all it really means is "bonus heart food goes further because I can make meals with one of them instead". Also the same applies to temp energy food, so I've got my bags cluttered with "+ fractions of bars of stamina food" from before I realized one cooked endura shroom is essentially worth 3-and-bit rings of stamina.

Also re: divine beast rewards, I really like the abilities on paper but the fact that they're 1. not on a "cooldown per usage" and don't start recharging until you've used "all" of it and 2. force activate for Goron/Gerudo no matter how little you actually need it in that situation is irritating as poo poo. Multiple times I've ended up bombing the last stack of shielding off myself so I can have the full thing there for when it's actually useful, and I think I've gerudo stormed more enemies that were already dead from the power attack than live ones.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

comingafteryouall posted:

I ice blocked to the shrine before Eventide from the beach just because it's where I happened to be. I don't know if the inability to ice block while swimming was intentional for "balance" reasons or something relating to "well you have to use stamina while swimming. soooo" but if so, it's such a silly thing that I feel like they should have just allowed it. It's trivial to work around and doesn't add any difficulty, just irritation.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can disable the beast abilities at will. I have the two you mentioned turned off until I need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also re: divine beast rewards, I really like the abilities on paper but the fact that they're 1. not on a "cooldown per usage" and don't start recharging until you've used "all" of it and 2. force activate for Goron/Gerudo no matter how little you actually need it in that situation is irritating as poo poo. Multiple times I've ended up bombing the last stack of shielding off myself so I can have the full thing there for when it's actually useful, and I think I've gerudo stormed more enemies that were already dead from the power attack than live ones.

You can disable the abilities from your inventory and re-enable them later.