Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Tae posted:

The only thing I'll say that is that people really abandoned Rinkah when Scarlet came around. Only one Axe maiden in their hearts, I see.

Rinkah sucks and Scarlet doesn't it is not a hard choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I like Rinkah, but I don't like her enough to forgive 4 1-stat levels.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Feed Setsuna all the stat boosters

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

As meaningless as they may believe it to be... We can't undo what happened here today.
An apology may be in order, but we're not at fault here.
Please don't be too hard on yourself about all of this.
I don't know. I'll never be able to fully forgive myself. I suppose it's just another burden I'll carry until the end.
Perhaps it's a burden I can help you carry, milord. I'll always be at your side—especially at times like this.
Thank you, Kaze. Your words mean a lot to me.

*The ground begins to shake*

I think it's a landslide! Watch out!

*Kaze catches Corrin*

Kaze! You have to let go of me! We'll both fall if you don't!
Never milord! I won't let you die!

*A crystal is zoomed in across the cliff*

Hmm, is that what I think it is?
Milord! I'm going to try something! Please hold tight!
What?!
Hah!

Yeah, so Kaze threw a shuriken at a random crystal that exploded, and the resulting blast lifted Corrin like a balloon to get him safely back on the cliff.

Kaze, you crazy poo poo, what the hell was that plan

Are you all right, Lord Corrin?
Yes...I think I am. Thanks to you. What WAS that?
I...I don't know. I didn't know what would happen...but I'm afraid I didn't have many options.

That was improvised???

Ah yes, it's been a while since we had super martyr Corrin back on the scene

Nonsense. If anything, I was prepared to sacrifice myself.
Hoshido needs you, Lord Corrin.
Well...thank you.

Wait, what "another" explosion? What was the first one

Yes, we're fine Azura. Kaze managed to save us both.
Oh, thank goodness. I must admit, I feared the worst. Even though we're out of danger for now, it would be wise to stay alert.

*Time passes*

Well, we've reached the summit. How are you doing, Corrin?
I'm still upset about what happened with the wolfskin. Not to mention the fact that Kaze and I just nearly died.
Yes. This clash with the wolfskin is just another tragedy in a long line.
...Look, Corrin. Can you see the sun breaking over the horizon?
Yes...I suppose I can.
They say the sun never shines in Nohr, but we can see that that's not true. Perhaps it's small comfort, but I take this as a good omen.
It is warm here. The same kind of warmth I felt walking the streets of Hoshido. I hope someday, both Hoshido and Nohr can share this kind of warmth.
Anything is possible, Corrin.

So....here's the big thing. That weird scene? Only shows up if you have an A rank support with Kaze. Kaze WILL die if you do not have A rank by this chapter. But how can that scene be different? How can Kaze die?

Alternate Dimension Birthright

As meaningless as they may believe it to be... We can't undo what happened here today.
Please don't be too hard on yourself about all of this.
I don't know. I'll never be able to fully forgive myself. I suppose it's just another burden I'll carry until the end.
Perhaps it's a burden I can help you carry, milord.

DIMENSION POWERS

Would you allow me to serve you?
To...serve me? What do you mean?
Ah, pardon me. Of course you wouldn't be familiar with Hoshidan tradition. It is expected that the most skilled elite soldiers will eventually choose a liege.
As you're aware, Subaki and Hana serve Lady Sakura. Hinata and Oboro support Lord Takumi. Lady Hinoka counts on Azama and Setsuna as her retainers. And Kagero and my older brother Saizo work directly for Lord Ryoma.
Yes, of course. I suppose I'm the only one left for you. Sorry about that.
On the contrary. I feel blessed that I've remained unattached. Because now I can pledge my loyalty to you.
Kaze, are you sure?
Yes. I've seen you make tough but necessary decisions in the face of danger. I'm confident that you're the right leader for our group in this time of crisis. Besides, I've done something to you that can never be forgiven...
How could you possibly? I don't know what you're talking about.
Lord Corrin, allow me to explain. When I was much younger—

*The ground begins to shake*

I think it's a landslide! Watch out!

*Kaze catches Corrin*

Kaze! You have to let go of me! We'll both fall if you don't!
Ungh...never! I couldn't live with myself. I already owe you my life...I'm the reason you were kidnapped as a child!
That can't be true!
It is. I was traveling with you that day, and I saw an unusual Nohrain troop presence. If I had only said something... But I was young... I didn't know the risk they posed.
I could have prevented everything!
You were a child! You couldn't have known. It's not your fault!
I wish you were right. But I was raised in a family of ninja. I should have known better. I owe you a lifetime of service.
But perhaps sacrificing myself will do.
Kaze, no! Don't do anything foolish!

*Hinoka arrives riding on her pegasus*

Over here, Hinoka. Please help!
I'm coming!

*The ground is breaking apart more*

Agh...the ground is moving again!
It has been a pleasure serving you, Lord Corrin.
Lady Hinoka! You know what you have to do. Haaa!

Whoa!
I've got you, Corrin!

I'm not joking. Kaze literally flings Corrin 20 feet in the air so Hinoka can catch him. As opposed to Hinoka just....flying under Corrin.

That's right, Kaze randomly goes from on top of the cliff to suddenly falling off of it

Please forgive me, Lord Corrin. I am only doing what is necessary.

NO! Kaze!
I...I couldn't save him! What just happened?!
I can't believe it... Kaze, why? WHY?!

I ask myself every second of this scene

*Later that day*

Well, we've reached the summit. How are you doing, Corrin?
We...we lost Kaze. I still can't believe it.
Yes. Another tragedy among countless tragedies we've witnessed of late. ... Look, Corrin. Can you see the sun breaking over the horizon?
Yes...I suppose I can.
They say the sun never shines in Nohr, but we can see that that's not true. Perhaps it's small comfort, but I take this as a good omen.
It is warm here. The same kind of warmth I felt walking the streets of Hoshido. Perhaps Kaze's spirit lives on in another world, watching over us.
Anything is possible, Corrin.
Thank you for saving me, Kaze. I promise that you won't have died in vain. Rest in peace, friend...

FIRE EMBLEM FATES: BIRTHRIGHT

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
wow i knew about the kaze thing and somehow it's even stupider then i thought

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This might actually be among the worst "gently caress You" things Fire Emblem has ever had

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not that I disagree with the scene being ridiculous for multiple reasons, but how, exactly, is Hinoka going to fly under them when they're flat against a sheer cliff? Have her pegasus phase its 20+' wingspan through the cliff face? Somehow hover it sideways (at which point Corrin has to somehow drop through said wings in addition to the other issue)?

edit: The sad thing is that there's an even dumber scene later on... and yet it still doesn't even come close to touching the height of Conquest's stupidity.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 12, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think the first explosion may've been the dark magic that murdered that first wolfman.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

Subaki! Help!

For the record, the assassin actually uses the same sprite as the invisible guy from way back in Chapter 5.

Tae posted:

Oh no! You're that Azama fellow.

Azama's so troll-y that even people who've never met him recognize him and his trolling on sight. Not something to be proud of...

Tae posted:

There is nothing fun about this.

Hayato doth protest too much, I think.

Anyway, about that post-battle cutscene (specifically the "Kaze dies" version): As the A-rank version proves, he does, indeed, die in vain, because he didn't even need to die to succeed. And regarding said A-rank version, I'm pretty sure Azura says "another explosion" because of what set the battle off in the first place: the Nohrians bombing the wolfskin while using your team as a scapegoat.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
'Game mechanics' aside, this would have been a really convenient place to use a Rescue staff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Not that I disagree with the scene being ridiculous for multiple reasons, but how, exactly, is Hinoka going to fly under them when they're flat against a sheer cliff? Have her pegasus phase its 20+' wingspan through the cliff face? Somehow hover it sideways (at which point Corrin has to somehow drop through said wings in addition to the other issue)?
wyverns have a smaller wingspan, they could get scarlet to do it

also even ignoring that why didnt any of the other 30 people in the army go to help kaze up when he was clinging for life. like saizo. or rinkah. rinkah could lift kaze up easily. 'not with that str growth hurr hurr'

also the kaze scene overshadows what i feel is an even worse part of the scene

quote:

*walks into racial minority's territory, kills all the men of age*

'an apology MAY... MAY be in order, but, look, an explosion!'

corrin totally fails to take responsibility for things that are totally his fault - 'cause just having a bit of a moan to kaze doesn't make things up to the wolfskins, it just makes him feel better - and then everyone acts like he's the most self-sacrificing and pure person ever, since he just moaned about how bad it feels to have killed 50 people. at least i hope it was 50 people. considering the way the game treats large-scale engagements (which isn't a problem unique to it in the series, but still), maybe he just killed 5000.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So, um, can't Kaze teleport like he does whenever he enters/exits battle?

I literally don't know what went into this scene other than enough crack to kill a fully grown orca whale.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I actually kind of forgot about this stupid loving scene. There's is no goddamn way you can know this is coming unless you had it spoiled for you. Well, maybe if you had him married off by this point but noticed you couldn't access his paralogue. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility to have A-ranked by now just out of happenstance, but it's also entirely likely that you haven't, even if you have been using him a lot. And it's not even like there's much of a dramatic pay-off for it either. He's just not that important of a character to get that attached to. Maybe if you played Conquest first? Then again, I did play Conquest first, and I married him on that file, and I still don't give a poo poo about Kaze.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
does his equipment go into the abyss with him, kinda curious how big of a gently caress-up it is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

even if you did care about kaze, it's so random, out of nowhere, and meaningless that it's hard to care. why not have xander's forces catch up and have kaze die protecting you from him? that'd actually be a plotpoint someone could feasibly care about, as opposed to Kaze randomly falling down a cliff for literally no reason.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
Having a character randomly die in a game like this for story reasons is the worst. A player shouldn't be punished for investing in a specific unit like that, particularly in a game like Fire Emblem, where characters can already permanently die during gameplay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't have the cutscene for it because that requires me to replay a large part of the game, but Kaze's model flips from laying on his stomach to flip over to the edge of the cliff.

And I'm not exaggerating that HInoka is a good 10-20 feet up in the air and 10-15 feet away from the cliff so Kaze threw from a laying position 100+ pounds one-handed.

Here's my take: I thought the cutscene when Kaze took the blow from Keaton at the beginning of the chapter was going to factor in. It didn't.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Honestly, both versions of the scene are pretty dumb, but at least the one where Kaze dies has something vaguely resembling world building and backstory in it, and god knows Fates as a whole is starved for those. Granted, it's not particularly good world building or backstory, but you take what you can get.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Cattail Prophet posted:

Honestly, both versions of the scene are pretty dumb, but at least the one where Kaze dies has something vaguely resembling world building and backstory in it, and god knows Fates as a whole is starved for those. Granted, it's not particularly good world building or backstory, but you take what you can get.

Yeah, about that...

The stuff he says is covered in his supports with Corrin. He just had more time when he had the A support to see the crystal, since he already told Corrin that stuff.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
I've always played Fire Emblems blind the first time through so I can pick out which units I like, and I leave all the min-maxing checking growth rates for second playthroughs. I may have done some stuff like murdered Shinon but this was the first time that I felt like I was getting screwed over.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tae posted:

I don't have the cutscene for it because that requires me to replay a large part of the game, but Kaze's model flips from laying on his stomach to flip over to the edge of the cliff.

And I'm not exaggerating that HInoka is a good 10-20 feet up in the air and 10-15 feet away from the cliff so Kaze threw from a laying position 100+ pounds one-handed.

Here's my take: I thought the cutscene when Kaze took the blow from Keaton at the beginning of the chapter was going to factor in. It didn't.

An easy task with the goddamn orangutan arms everyone seems to have

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
It's mostly Cornball with the monkey arms

E: at least it's not world of horse people like last game

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So, um, can't Kaze teleport like he does whenever he enters/exits battle?

I literally don't know what went into this scene other than enough crack to kill a fully grown orca whale.
Fates is full of weird ideas that needed at least a second editing pass before sounding coherent, and this is one of them. I get the angle the writers wanted to go with for the scene (Kaze is resentful over his hesitation that allowed Corrin to be kidnapped, and thus seeks to redeem himself by giving his life to save Corrin), but the execution faceplants harder than a meteor hitting the planet at top speed. The dumbest part about the whole Kaze thing is that this is the only time it happens. Conquest and Revelation do not have a similar scene where this occurs, either to Kaze or even a different character. If they were consistent about this sequence by placing it on all three routes, it'd still be dumb but now consistent with how the game wants to handle Kaze's character. Instead, we have a ho-hum cutscene if you get Kaze to A support and a painfully laughable "this only works if everyone's a total idiot" cutscene if you don't.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Why does a crystal explode when you throw a shuriken at it

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Hidden weapons beat magic, this is a rare intersection of game mechanics and story.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Alternatively, Ninja tricks.

I mean, how else do they eat anything beneath that mask!?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Very quickly, discreetly and carefully.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Has there ever been a postmortem by Nintendo or any of the writers as to why the writing for Fates is so sloppy? "A young Lord is torn between their family on both sides of a terrible war" is great idea for a story, but they could hardly have messed it up any worse than what we got.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

Has there ever been a postmortem by Nintendo or any of the writers as to why the writing for Fates is so sloppy? "A young Lord is torn between their family on both sides of a terrible war" is great idea for a story, but they could hardly have messed it up any worse than what we got.
To date, I do not believe there has been any commentary on the writing side of things regarding Fates from any of the staff. Or if there is, I have not read anything on the matter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

here's your postmortem: the game had 20 separate writers. 20 people. for comparison, path of radiance had 4. imagine 20 people all trying to give their own ideas for how a story should progress. now imagine those 20 people trying to work within the context of a video game, that has to have battles to go with every plot beat. now imagine those 20 people trying to tell three separate but intertwining stories. now imagine those 20 people having to write 80+ characters. now imagine those 20 people trying to keep any of that consistent between them.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
The required A Rank bullshit is the one thing I'm really glad I was spoiled on for Fates before it happened. But even when it did happen, I was playing with a friend, and neither of us were ready for the sheer amount of stupid that happens in this sequence. I'd figured Kaze would take a hit from Iago or Garon or something, but no, it is a random rear end crystal magic land mine.

Fates is a hell of a thing sometimes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Endorph posted:

here's your postmortem: the game had 20 separate writers. 20 people. for comparison, path of radiance had 4. imagine 20 people all trying to give their own ideas for how a story should progress. now imagine those 20 people trying to work within the context of a video game, that has to have battles to go with every plot beat. now imagine those 20 people trying to tell three separate but intertwining stories. now imagine those 20 people having to write 80+ characters. now imagine those 20 people trying to keep any of that consistent between them.

Jesus, and I thought the Mass Effect series had a bad case of writing schizophrenia

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

You can tell the writers were just like "look we've been dicking around and arguing with each other for months now but we need to turn in something like, tomorrow to get our paycheck, so we need to crap out something quick"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm also having a large majority of the party almost at promotion level, but I don't want to put a poll for like 12 people because that's tedious. So any quick suggestions on if the thread wants to do it in some way or I decide.

I am thinking about a Steroid redemption vote by stuffing one unit of all the stat boosters I've collected thus far and give them a DLC class.

Any other thoughts on this?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

For promotions, I say do a thing where you promote the 100% keepers (i.e. Corrin, Oboro) and put up two or three for vote.

And definitely do the Steroid Redemption again. Vaike taking all the drugs and still getting benched will always be hilarious.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Tae posted:

Do the DLC classes include the paid ones that came out a while after the game did? I'd like to see those shown off, I didn't buy them.

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty ignorant how these things usually go, but surely plenty of games with at least acceptable stories have had similarly huge writing teams. Besides, there must have been some degree of compartmentalization, with some writers working on the core plot for one of the campaigns, others working on supports, etc. Obviously some things would be lost with that many people working together, but I really feel like the reason why Fates's story is such a mess has to be more complex than "too many cooks".

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't get any of the DLC, but you get like 6 dlc classes for free so there's a wide variety. Depends on who gets what, and what gender in a couple cases.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Tae posted:

Which DLC classes are we talking about? I know there's the two you get just for having the other routes, but are we also talking the paid ones?

For the promotions, I'd guess doing a couple per chapter would work for showing them off. I'd guess there's be a vote for which branch.

As far as the stat boosters, a vote to decide who to shove them into? Not sure if the benched characters would be included.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heaven Spacey posted:

Do the DLC classes include the paid ones that came out a while after the game did? I'd like to see those shown off, I didn't buy them.

I'm pretty ignorant how these things usually go, but surely plenty of games with at least acceptable stories have had similarly huge writing teams. Besides, there must have been some degree of compartmentalization, with some writers working on the core plot for one of the campaigns, others working on supports, etc. Obviously some things would be lost with that many people working together, but I really feel like the reason why Fates's story is such a mess has to be more complex than "too many cooks".
does it really have to be complex?

And yeah, games can often have as many writers, and there's some compartmentalization to be sure, but the issue is how this game was written. shin kobayashi submitted a script, then they rewrote that, then they rewrote that, then they came up with revelations and rewrote that. that much we know for certain, since kobayashi's talked about what was in his original script and what wasn't (hinoka didn't exist, for instance). And revelations is, without spoiling anything, very obviously an extremely late addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You get 2 dread fighter, 2 dark flier, 1 each gender specific lord class, and 2 gender specific classes for free.

Stat boosters total are:
+4 STR
+6 MAG
+6 SKL
+6 SPD
+6 LCK
+4 DEF
+4 RES
+1 weapon rank

• Locked thread