Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure we hit peak whale in mid to late 2016 and they simply won't be able to cover costs for long enough to make yet another lie to sell to idiots, since they sold all the low hanging lies already to make it to 2017.

Each whale like that that goes "What, this is literally impossible and it's dumb to think otherwise" isn't being replaced by some new fresh faced idiot willing to throw down $6,000 on an obvious failed game project five years in.

That's why I toxxed for April to October this year for a collapse. If they make it to the anniversary sale again then they'll get kicked into 2018.

They seem to be using 2.6.2 as the next carrot and are dragging it out as long as possible so there is less time for people to get upset waiting for 3.0 through infinite sales, but I think people are getting angrier quicker and an unknown number of whales are either halting their ongoing funding or refunding altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I.N.R.I posted:

It would be funny if someone in this thread committed epic murder ftw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Almost as funny as if there were a troop of losers who got together on discord to organize making GBS threads up threads they dislike.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SirPenguin posted:

I know they've been frequently lambasted for picking Crysis, but are they seriously still battling the parts of the engine that think they're in water 4-5 years later? The fact that it's seemingly ship specific is even more worrying as it implies there isn't a universal physics system

I don't remember the specifics but people noticed air bubbles on the admiral bishop speech, and during the sandworm demo last year the visor was splashed with water when the character rebounded from orbit to the planet and back.

People say it was procedural spit from the sandworm but around Mid-2016 they had a dev interview where someone was complaining about being unable to remove the water that comes default under every cryengine map and the regular visor splashing could be reproduced in the game. Some smug backer sizzle reels last summer had inadvertent visor splashing we were mocking.

There were plenty of leaks at different times about various things being held back by water. The homestead demo also had weird angle and geometry on it's water sources on that planet. The leaks said the upcoming 3.0 lie to be sold to backers has unspecified issues with water so my assumption is they are having problems programming water inside water, since they can't actually remove the water default on the map and planetary water sources cause conflicts if you try and zone them off from the invisible water covering everything that CIG probably modified to be intangible, which fucks with the lakes and pools they try to add inside that water.

Don't worry though, that doesn't make this a Crysis Mod they don't even actually understand. Everything is fine.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

It would be even funnier if they began threatening former mods with permabans that never materialized.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

regrettable as gently caress.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Space Crabs posted:

Don't worry though, that doesn't make this a Crysis Mod they don't even actually understand. Everything is fine.
Didn't CIG hire people from Crytek to work on this?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Space Crabs posted:

I'm pretty sure we hit peak whale in mid to late 2016 and they simply won't be able to cover costs for long enough to make yet another lie to sell to idiots, since they sold all the low hanging lies already to make it to 2017.

I dunno. In that 3.0 status thread there was a Grand Admiral (15K) plus that said he was bailing, yet there have been 5 or 6 completionist packs sold in the past couple weeks.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

SirPenguin posted:

This is probably old news, but I found this thread on Reddit and it seems absurd

someone noticed their ship would "bob" even at idle in deep space. Like so.

This is the theory as to what''s causing it:

I know they've been frequently lambasted for picking Crysis, but are they seriously still battling the parts of the engine that think they're in water 4-5 years later? The fact that it's seemingly ship specific is even more worrying as it implies there isn't a universal physics system

I would guess that's just their revolutionary physics grid system, which AFAIK has been jittering randomly since July 2015

http://i.imgur.com/tJat0fN.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/yFkZJOS.gifv

Or maybe the front of the spaceship is just a static masked image that bobs around with movement, the same as the helmet graphic.

They're all valid theories in the most openly developed game ever.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I feel grief and regret.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sunswipe posted:

Yeah but any random person that was employed at Crytek isn't necessarily going to understand the core fundamental architecture of the engine or how to remove things like the water table.

Not to mention that was years ago and they've had huge turnover since then, apparently throwing people fresh out of videogame college at the problem.

So either they got the talent they needed and misused it or never had it in the first place. Either way backers aren't getting what they think they are getting and they would realize that if they ever objectively looked at the hilarious clusterfuck they've been given.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I dunno. In that 3.0 status thread there was a Grand Admiral (15K) plus that said he was bailing, yet there have been 5 or 6 completionist packs sold in the past couple weeks.

It isn't about how much they are making, but about how much they need to make.

Since this is the most open game development project of all time with a promise of complete financial accounting to the dollar if the game is later than 2015, we have no idea about any of that.

But "Peak Whale" doesn't mean sales will stop, or that completionists won't be bought. Just that the behemoth Chris Roberts has designed requires X amount of funding and Backers only provide Y amount of funding. If you've hit peak whale and the Y income doesn't cover the X costs then you now have a hard time limit to either finish the game or increase the income.

They are apparently not decreasing costs at all, which speaks to Chris Robert's management. Steps toward this would be eliminating the superfluous projects like motion capture, that nobody wants, but they continue to pour years and tens of millions into. Cutting the studio number down. Cutting the employee number down. A ton of things they are not doing.

So that means they need 3.0 to increase the income, so it's a race to see if they can craft convincing enough lies to cover their costs and get rid of the time limit they have now of "Funds running out" by restoring the old days of complete, naked delusion and greed giving them an infinite paycheck to do whatever they want (more motioncapture.)

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Yesterday I had a nice talk with one of my fellows in my org. We talked about CR's promises, especially regarding subsumption.

One of CR's core promises is: "the player can do whatever a NPC can do". It also works the other way around: "the NPC can do whatever a player can do". For example, NPC ships are controlled by NPCs which are doing their jobs as much as they would do on a player controlled ships. And players can do the very same jobs. Also, NPCs can take missions as well as players can, which means, any job appearing on the job board IS done by someone, be it a PC or a NPC.

If CIG is able to pull that stunt, that's already a rather impressive feat.

Also CR promised us a "living" universe. NPCs do have lives as much as PCs have. They have a daily routine, they have a place where they sleep, they have their own hangars, their own ships etc. In a way NPCs and PCs are nearly indistinguishable from a certain point of view. Also there's that promise NPCs keep track of their interactions with other players, resulting in a dynamic relationship. They might become loyal friends - or have their own agenda, playing a foul game with certain players. And since the promise is still valid, NPCs may also have relationships with other NPCs and keeping track - which simply adds even more layers of complexity.

If CIG is able to do that, they nearly almost created a simulation of a small society.

And now substract any PCs from the game. Do it.

You may suddenly realize the game doesn't really need PCs to create a living universe. If done right, NPCs keep each other occupied with jobs, ever increasing relationships (or falling ones). They might even double cross each other. The command staff of the UEEN may decide to bring war to the Vanduul or vice versa. The economy is supporting that war - and the war may be lost if the economy fails doing so. Also the Xi'An may take a move towards UEE space, the old cold war turns in a hot one. Elections may happen, entire systems may suffer a total breakdown thanks to pirate raids against convoys and the UEEN may send fleets dealing with those pirates.

Now think about that. Basically, that's what CR promised in a nutshell. An living universe that's basically an independent simulation of a (small scale) society.

What you don't realize is Crobbers pulled it off!!! This game exists right now, only problem is the NPCs are having so much fun playing they won't let anyone else play. But you wouldn't want to play anyway, the NPCs would just grief you.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

HycoCam posted:

What you don't realize is Crobbers pulled it off!!! This game exists right now, only problem is the NPCs are having so much fun playing they won't let anyone else play. But you wouldn't want to play anyway, the NPCs would just grief you.

We play the game everyday on this thread.

Its amazing.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

HycoCam posted:

It's like homeopathy (we're all already soaking in an enormously diluted solution of everything). Star Citizen is happening inside some computer somewhere, just without any player characters. Space Janitor is mopping epically while the clothing sellers are selling ugly jackets to each other. Checkmate, goonies!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All you negative nancies are missing the fact (set in stone!) that CIG can easily monetize the tech that they have already created. That new forum software Lowtax is selling JPGs for? Well, guess what?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Someone forgot to dye their hair before that video oops lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

tooterfish posted:

It'll be a genocide to match me pouring a boiling kettle into the cracks in my paving stones.

I did this with 400 degree oil to an anthill on my sidewalk. When I put my ear to the ground I could hear the sizzling and crackling as it worked its way through the catacombs, it was awesome.

In Star Citizen news, game is still underwater, lol

Lumberyard? more like Logjam :smuggo:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Both Chris and I both hope we never run into each other in person. He'll be on his back bleeding and whining, but unable to flail the hands I stomped into meat bags and I, well, I will be in jail. And I am not a violent man.

Cons:
Jail time
No forums
That large man licks his lips slowly every time he looks at me
Prison food

Pros:
I would be the man that slaughtered Star Citizen

Normal.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Normal.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Samizdata posted:

You know it was Ben's little crowdfunded project, after all. So, I went to the source. When he didn't answer, I was considering asking his wife, who, you know, lives with him and all.

But I will take the Dredd reference and like it, I guess.

EDIT: Also, I wish I had an awesome British voice like Patrick Stewart.

I wonder why one of the people that freaked out the most when I made fun of their insane obsessive bullshit has violent death fantasies over the bad vido game. Food for thought.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
yea hey, thanks buddy, in case you missed the 982374 other posts publicly chastising him for being a weirdo plus the probation you can read this one to know you're pissing in the wind

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hey Arf, I appreciate the "stare too long into the abyss" nature of your obsessively coming to comment on things you feel retroactively justify your ridiculous shitposting spree in this subforum, but unless you've got something worth saying about Star Citizen, get lost.

Showing up a day late to point out things the moderators have already taken care of and other posters have already called out is insanely sad and dumb.

poopy pee pee
Feb 13, 2012

I'm a nice guy, hoping to have some fun on these forums, Lol

ArfJason posted:

I wonder why one of the people that freaked out the most when I made fun of their insane obsessive bullshit has violent death fantasies over the bad vido game. Food for thought.

It's just a chill way for a normal guy to act.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

SirPenguin posted:

This is probably old news, but I found this thread on Reddit and it seems absurd

someone noticed their ship would "bob" even at idle in deep space. Like so.

This is the theory as to what''s causing it:

I forgot about the underwater speculation evidence again.

There should be a dedicated keyboard shortcut for "But I don't intend to get into an internet argument about it."

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

Hey Arf, I appreciate the "stare too long into the abyss" nature of your obsessively coming to comment on things you feel retroactively justify your ridiculous shitposting spree in this subforum, but unless you've got something worth saying about Star Citizen, get lost.

Showing up a day late to point out things the moderators have already taken care of and other posters have already called out is insanely sad and dumb.
Whatever you say old man *wheelies out on motorcycle lmfao*

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You see it's better than Elite because you can stand!

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

ArfJason posted:

Whatever you say old man *wheelies out on motorcycle lmfao*

I'd say nobody actually talks like that but there's like three guys on my facebook proving otherwise :[

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

I see FYAD is once again in the thread.

Funny how everytime they show up I feel compelled to politely ask them to gently caress right back off. :D

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Let the Concern Trolling begin, the thread has been getting kinda boring as of late, good thing we have those autist from FYAD with there witty zanny posting skills come and spice things back up thus making this thread less boring.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

People should consider not taking very obvious bait lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If people were capable of that we wouldn't even have this thread in the first place.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

SirPenguin posted:

The pilot model expressions aren't even universal. They mentioned going through ships one by one to implement new expressions a few weeks ago.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That's what happens when you become ships while sitting in them.

Edit: Cat got scared

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 13, 2017

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SelenicMartian posted:

That's what happens when you become ships while sitting in them.

In the Fourth Stimpire one passenger of each transport is selected to be turned into the ship.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Should we call the spaceships submarines instead ?

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
What's the latest on sad seal guy? Is he in jail yet?

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

trucutru posted:

For me, more than a kiddy diddler (innocent until proven guilty and all that poo poo), he's an incredibly incompetent film director. I mean Crobberts has a better idea on how to direct a scene.

directing films is easy.

*waves hands while Gary Oldman looks in disgust*

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Beet Wagon posted:

People should consider not taking very obvious bait lmao

I mean, nothin else to do right now might as well right? whats the worst that could happen??

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

directing films is easy.

*waves hands while Gary Oldman looks in disgust*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbNh8Z-ILcI

watch that and come back to tell me again it's easy.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sunswipe posted:

The story is that CR pinched a bunch of pretty good programmers form Crytec when they had financial problems a few years back. This soured the relationship between RSI and Crytec and is the main reason they switched to lumberyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

What's the latest on sad seal guy? Is he in jail yet?

every day is a new jail for that guy