Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
But without rumble, how would we have lockpicking minigames?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Rumble is that kind of subtle thing that works well when you're not drawing attention to it. Horizon does a good job of using rumble when you're pulling back with the bow, I think it adds a lot to the feel of the combat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'd miss rumble.

I wouldn't miss the touch pad or the light bar.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny to me when people complain about battery life on handhelds because they all last like 4 hours. Maybe the system is doing you a favor by dying if 4 hours is not enough time to sit in the corner and be a giant dweeb catching pokemons.

The Neo Geo Pocket and Neo Geo Pocket Color both do *40* hours on two AA batteries, completely blowing away every other handheld ever made at any time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which just goes to show that battery life has nothing to do with being a good handheld

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Just got Nier Automata, so far beat the second boss guy and its really cool. I should probably go and play my copy of Nier thats been sitting on my shelf a while...

Not related, but my PS4's rest mode is hosed up. In rest mode, the PS4 stays noisy and warm, like its just as loud resting as it is running. At first I figured that it was just downloading updates or something but there's no evidence of that in the download menus, in fact I even yanked the cable and it never stopped whirring. I went and formatted my PS4 and restored all my games off an external hard drive (extremely long process with my slow rear end hard drive) and it didn't change anything. In fact the only thing that seems to help is shutting off rest-mode internet connectivity in the system settings, which sucks cuz then I'm not getting auto updates and save backups and stuff.

Anyone else with this issue?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Catching up on the last few pages, on the Vita, there's only a few exclusives and most of the decent games for it what came out in recent years are available for other consoles but who cares about that, the point of it is it's a portable system and if you're one of the few who wants to play games in a portable manner there are lots of good games for it. I mean when I play it on the train i'm not thinking oh the value of this is diminished because I could play it on PS4. If you don't need a portable system it's not much good obviously

Also switch is good and detachable joycons are good, especially for cute multiplayer games away from a TV, every Nintendo console since the SNES was worthwhile and had tons of good nintendo games on it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wandle Cax posted:

Catching up on the last few pages, on the Vita, there's only a few exclusives and most of the decent games for it what came out in recent years are available for other consoles but who cares about that, the point of it is it's a portable system and if you're one of the few who wants to play games in a portable manner there are lots of good games for it. I mean when I play it on the train i'm not thinking oh the value of this is diminished because I could play it on PS4. If you don't need a portable system it's not much good obviously

Yeah, this is the thing that made me feel bad about the purchase in the long run, portable gaming doesn't really fit into my life that much. I bought it back near the beginning of the PS4 lifecycle because I thought Remote Play sounded cool but it wound up being generally terrible with my internet situation. I take it on trips thinking I'll play it on the plane or something but when I'm traveling I am not really in the mood to be playing games, I really have to be dialed in and in a comfortable space for it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The Vita's not bad, certainly better than the PSP, but youd be crazy to get it instead of the 3DS for portable gaming.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

It's funny to me when people complain about battery life on handhelds because they all last like 4 hours. Maybe the system is doing you a favor by dying if 4 hours is not enough time to sit in the corner and be a giant dweeb catching pokemons.
Or get massive hemorrhoids from sitting on the toilet too long

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

First thing I do in any ps4 game is turn off vibration. Battery life on the controller is bad enough, plus like others said vibration is absolutely pointless unless it does some skis of arcadia feature where it indicates a hidden item.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Gutcruncher posted:

The Vita's not bad, certainly better than the PSP, but youd be crazy to get it instead of the 3DS for portable gaming.

Eh...

I mean, I have a 3DS, but it's an Ace Attorney + Pokémon Picross machine and absolutely nothing else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I probably have more games for my Vita than 3DS but that speaks more for the amount of PSN sales than anything.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
I got Nier.

Why does every game have fishing now?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I got Nier.

All the best games of 2017 have fishing.

Horizon may not have an official minigame but I can throw explosives into a lake and then scoop up the fish

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I got Nier.

Fishing is a breeze and an easy way to earn money in Automata. It was harder in the original Nier and took me going to Gamefaqs to understand it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Japanese people really like fishing.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Fishing is fun

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Gutcruncher posted:

In terms of games though the PSP was much better supported. It actually has a really robust library and not just wierdo japanese stuff.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You folks weren't joking when you said Titanfall fall 2 had a great campaign, I'm about 4 missions in and I've had a great time with whats been on show so far

Particularly loved the mission where you time-travel between past and present while exploring a military base/abandoned wreck plus the load times when you die and the short, sharp chopped up nature of the levels are great

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I got Nier.

To justify controller vibration.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just finished The Order 1866 and i thought it wasn't too bad.

I mean, i picked it up for £10 on sale and i know i'd have been pretty bummed if i dropped £45 on it at launch, but at that price you're getting a fairly well acted, nice looking CGI film that's got interactive shooty parts from time to time.

The stealth section was poo poo and some of the shooty sequences went on a bit long, but if it goes on sale again i'd say it's definitely worth a play.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Eh. 3DS has more quality AAA games but as someone who doesn't play that many portable games I like Vita for the free games and sales. I actually sold my 3DS because I had. I reason to turn it on for over a year.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
All of the sex quests in mass effect 4 should be based around the fishing mini game and how many and what kind of fish you give your friends.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
More games need to let you scroll around the map super fast with the touch pad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bloodychill posted:

The rear touch pad "worked fine" but it was still annoying and pointless. Same deal. Should've just had regular, non-wireless controls on the drat thing.

gently caress that rear touch pad. Replacing it with rear L2/R2 bumpers or something would have been great and costed less.

The point of the Joycons is it's essentially a 2017 Famicom; plunk it down somewhere and it comes with two controllers to keep the wee kids happy playing Mario Kart/Smash Bros.

On a more thread-relevant topic, I'm surprised P4G hasn't gotten a PS4 port considering how drat popular P4 is and how dead the Vita has been for years.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

On a more thread-relevant topic, I'm surprised P4G hasn't gotten a PS4 port considering how drat popular P4 is and how dead the Vita has been for years.
Speaking of this, Dangan Ronpa 1 and 2 is finally getting a PS4 version in Japan, hasn't it have one in the US for a while now? Maybe Japan finally giving up on the Vita will mean more things being ported to the PS4.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nope the PS4 version is new in the west, it's only been on Vita and Steam I think? until now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Nope the PS4 version is new in the west, it's only been on Vita and Steam I think? until now.

That's correct. Not bad for something that quite possibly only exists because of a Something Awful Let's Play.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's correct. Not bad for something that quite possibly only exists because of a Something Awful Let's Play.

Our eternal gift to the world. "Look upon these posts, ye forums, and despair."

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The point of the Joycons is it's essentially a 2017 Famicom; plunk it down somewhere and it comes with two controllers to keep the wee kids happy playing Mario Kart/Smash Bros.

My hands are too big to play with a single joycon and I don't have kids so it's not a particularly large selling point to me. Besides, don't small children in families that can afford a launch console all have phones or cheapo tablets to keep themselves entertained these days when the parents don't want to have to deal with them? The joycons are dumb. They're the lovely thing Nintendo screwed up on their console on this time. I'll still buy it but I'm not going to blindly defend it.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
I need some recommendations for local multiplayer games of all sorts, split screen with online capability preferably...I haven't really seen anything at gamestop and I'm pretty sure I've scoured the ps store as best as I can..just checking if there might be a gem or two out there...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Rayman Legends and Rocket League

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Couch co-op games
- Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
- Guacamelee
- Borderlands Handsome Collection
- Geometry Wars
- Little Big Planet 3
- Rayman Legends
- Resident Evil 5
- Trine 2
- Towerfall
- Rocket League
- Defense Grid 2
- Knack (lol)
- Helldivers
- Alienation
- Resogun
- Dying Light
- Black ops 3?
- Earth Defense Force
- Overcooked
- Enter the Gungeon
- Broforce
- Mother Russia Bleeds

Edit: Also can't wait for this coop experience!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSz815Srub0&t=38s

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 13, 2017

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm thinking about picking up Nier:Automata, but I did have one last question: Does it have the Taro-Yoko-hates-you-personally-as-an-individual-and-not-just-as-part-of-the-video-game-playing-demographic "level all the weapons" requirement?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

bloodychill posted:

My hands are too big to play with a single joycon and I don't have kids so it's not a particularly large selling point to me. Besides, don't small children in families that can afford a launch console all have phones or cheapo tablets to keep themselves entertained these days when the parents don't want to have to deal with them? The joycons are dumb. They're the lovely thing Nintendo screwed up on their console on this time. I'll still buy it but I'm not going to blindly defend it.

Luckily kids have small hands and it's a good feature, you with very large hands can just leave them attached. I don't see how it would offend you so much. A cool feature the lets you have portable physical controls to have a fun time and enjoy togetherness is a lovely screw up huh

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Nier:Automata, but I did have one last question: Does it have the Taro-Yoko-hates-you-personally-as-an-individual-and-not-just-as-part-of-the-video-game-playing-demographic "level all the weapons" requirement?
There's definitely a fixed number of weapons each with four levels and they have a story that unlocks with each level same as its predecessor, but I dunno if it affects the ending this time. I am assuming yes though.

Crimbo Hardstyle
Apr 23, 2006

HISS
You get access to something for maxing out all the weapons, but it's totally optional and has nothing to do with the endings. You don't even need to collect all the weapons for the endings actually.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm getting really frustrated at my PS4 controller lately. Ever since I started playing NieR, the controller just sticks occasionally. The character I'm playing as will just start running in a direction and no button I press will do anything. Or just almost all the buttons will become unresponsive for a few seconds when in menus.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? Not sure if it's just with NieR or if it's my PS4 controller as I haven't really used my PS4 as anything but a youtube machine for the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I have had it happen with two different controllers it's pretty much hosed. Buy a new one. $60 is a small price to pay for not going slowly insane. Check another game just to be sure but it is probably the controller.