Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Soul Glo posted:

Avoiding the thread since it's a field of spoiler text and I just started the game today, but do you have to do anything to make chips active after you buy them? At the first shop I bought ones to increase melee resistance, increase health and increase damage, but do I have to activate them in any way or are they active by just being in my inventory?

Also it took me an hour and forty-five minutes to discover I could double jump. :v:

pause the game, go to skills and then plug-in chips and equip them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Soul Glo posted:

Avoiding the thread since it's a field of spoiler text and I just started the game today, but do you have to do anything to make chips active after you buy them? At the first shop I bought ones to increase melee resistance, increase health and increase damage, but do I have to activate them in any way or are they active by just being in my inventory?

Also it took me an hour and forty-five minutes to discover I could double jump. :v:

You have to equip them in the plug in menu. Pause the game and scan it over!

You will have to buy storage upgrades if you wanna equip a lot though so keep that in mind.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

If you need more slots, there's a guy in the Resistance camp that upgrades your slots.
Protip: An easy way to to get extra slots is to remove the "OS Chip", you don't need it anyways.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

inventor quest one of my favorite little things in this game is his big dumb tower becoming a permanent fixture in the background of every scene after you build it

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Regarding Pascal in Route C: The best choice is to wipe her memories, because then she forgets what the children were and sells it their body parts at a store in her village... you can buy the children's faces and use them as fist weapons. What the Christ, Yoko.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is why Yoko Taro is the best :allears:

Yeah that's a good way to sum up my feelings after completing it. I was miserable at parts and it's got it's issues, but it's weird appeals make me glad I played.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SYabipradE

A review of the game from the guy that made that pretty good story analysis of the series.
The spoilers are clearly segregated to specific timecode.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
This game is a lot like Undertale in a lot of ways, almost all of which are indirect, and few have to do with the fact that both integrate RPG mechanics with bullet hell game mechanics.

That said, am I the only one who kind of think Nier 1 had better bosses? You have less cool Platinum-style duels like you do in this game, but you had a lot more big monsters with various bullet configuration attacks...I dunno, I feel like you had more visual variety and just more interesting designs in the first game.

Though I guess the names of the bosses have more meaning in Automata than the first one.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Thundercracker posted:

Go to Skills. You have to manually equip them. If you need more slots, there's a guy in the Resistance camp that upgrades your slots.

Upgrade to all the slots asap. Then make a bunch of weird loadouts.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

did the clown parade (route C) become Hegel :magical:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 13, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Spoilers for C:

When it asks you to monitor A2 or 9S does it matter what you pick/when? I've had to pick twice now and I went with A2 both times.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

Spoilers for C:

When it asks you to monitor A2 or 9S does it matter what you pick/when? I've had to pick twice now and I went with A2 both times.

No, you'll see everything regardless

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks for the help with the equipment stuff. Kinda like that the game doesn't over tutorialize you, but I might need to go and do that in the options anyhow.

Game seemed okay and weird in the beginning, but I really started to dig it once it opened up a bit (and I could save). Getting some FFXV vibes in the combat.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I kind of want a chip that nerfs my attack so I don't one shot everything now that I'm at level 81. I don't even need to use A2's unique abilities because of it. It's especially bad when I want to enjoy my favorite bosses for the fight and the music but I end up killing them in two seconds.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When can I post 2B pics

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

verbal enema posted:

When can I post 2B pics

now

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If you want to, you can post the pics. But if you don't want to, you don't have to

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

:ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Overall plot as I'm rolling it around in my head and trying to make sense of some of it as... I was kinda overwhelmed when I beat it. Spoilers for the whole game.

So the timeline is something along the line of this right?

Nier blows up Shadowlord and fucks everyone in the process. Gestalts and Replicants go extinct and humanity is just flat out gone minus a handful of brainscans and some DNA samples. A set of Dev and Pop androids shoot that information to the moon hoping that would somehow help keep the memory of humans alive.

Aliens see Earth and come to it for... some reason? They send machines out to clean up and the androids humanity left behind are getting wiped- Emil uses shadow clone jutsu to make like a mountain of clones to try and fight them back but ultimately fail due to once again, reasons.

Androids knowing that humanity is extinct pretty much give up.

The machines however learn about humans and become obsessed. To evolve they'd have to face conflict, so they kill their alien masters and form YorHa giving Androids purpose once again. The bunker is built and better, stronger androids are built with the sole purpose to make machines better through conflict. None of the androids know this and continue fighting the war hoping to do the non-existent humanity proud. Then the game takes place.

Anyone mind clearing up what I might of gotten wrong?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Saw that on Pixiv and wanted to post it you fucker you piece of poo poo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Overall plot as I'm rolling it around in my head and trying to make sense of some of it as... I was kinda overwhelmed when I beat it. Spoilers for the whole game.

Nier blows up Shadowlord and fucks everyone in the process. Gestalts and Replicants go extinct and humanity is just flat out gone minus a handful of brainscans and some DNA samples. A set of Dev and Pop androids shoot that information to the moon hoping that would somehow help keep the memory of humans alive.

Aliens see Earth and come to it for... some reason? They send machines out to clean up and the androids humanity left behind are getting wiped- Emil uses shadow clone jutsu to make like a mountain of clones to try and fight them back but ultimately fail due to once again, reasons.

The machines however learn about humans and become obsessed. To evolve they'd have to face conflict, so they kill their alien masters and form YorHa giving Androids purpose once again. The bunker is built and better, stronger androids are built with the sole purpose to make machines better through conflict. None of the androids know this and continue fighting the war hoping to do the non-existent humanity proud. Then the game takes place.

As for why Emil failed to stop the aliens, I would say it's justified with reasons in some of the optional postgame content.

I don't know that the androids ever really gave up, there was just a risk of the possibility. Other than that I think you got the main points though some of it might be a little out of order.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't think the machines made yorha. Why would they consider building androids from machine cores the more humane option? Seems more to me like androids created yorha and built in the backdoor for the machines to eventually destroy it, and the machines just played along because it worked to their benefit too.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

lets hang out posted:

I don't think the machines made yorha. Why would they consider building androids from machine cores the more humane option? Seems more to me like androids created yorha and built in the backdoor for the machines to eventually destroy it, and the machines just played along because it worked to their benefit too.

The project yorha documents are definitely written from an android perspective, and it's androids who implemented it.

However, if there's one thing the game makes clear it's how totally and completely the androids were compromised and at the mercy of the machine AIs throughout the entire history of the conflict. The androids could have easily been destroyed at any time, and were only allowed to survive to be toyed with and used in the evolution scheme. In light of all that I think project yorha has to be something the machine AIs either deliberately designed or at least knew of and allowed to happen- I lean towards the former since it so conspicuously fits their M.O. In general I find the more or less complete absence of any higher android authority than Yorha in the game outside of oblique mentions in the documents to be really conspicuous.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 13, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Farming for pod upgrading mats is a endless cycle of suffering.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

don't do it imo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just buy the cheevo ya goof

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Finished the game and I have some stuff to say. Assume any spoiler tags are endgame related even though some aren't.

So, first playthrough of the game I was very mixed on the game. I liked pretty two bosses (Beauvoir and Adam) the rest were not particularly engaging to me or giant setpieces that were while neat, also felt like they were overstaying their welcome. The actual gameplay was fun and fluid and felt really good, the chipsets hit that OCD part of my brain that loves skill organization in the same way RE4 inventory organization hit, and the music is fantastic. The story didn't draw me in a ton, there were some key moments that I was really interested (Pretty much anything to do with the Twins and Pascal). Overall I wasn't sure how I felt too much on the first playthrough, it was a weird feeling to me because I was super excited for the game and it wasn't pulling me in.

Second playthrough comes and I'm disliking the game now. I already didn't care for 9S on the first playthrough and an entire run of seeing the same poo poo from their perspective wasn't selling me. Doesn't help I genuinely don't like the hacking minigame, it was a fun novelty when it barely showed up and now it's aggressively a main mechanic. The game changes up very little except now my main method of attack are really bad feeling normal attacks and a hacking minigame that never changes itself and gets stale quickly. I tried to get done with it as fast as I could. I finish my second playthrough and generally feel pretty unfulfilled, but I know how these games are and something in the third playthrough could turn the game on its head. I liked the new cutscenes for the twins fwiw.

Lo and behold, I start the third playthrough sour with a really bad boss fight in the desert, but it gets better as it progresses and the pacing of stuff happening gets better and PASCAL TAKES OVER A loving ENGALS HOLY poo poo and the game's dwelling on its own internal philosophy finally heads somewhere interesting for me. Pod is getting more dialogue and getting to be a character with a stake in the story. 9S is now actually having character conflicts and genuinely compelling scenes as you watch his world be torn apart around him and how much it destroys him and the entire final sequence from Devola and Popola showing up to the final fight is amazing. I think the alternating bosses is a bit long in the tooth, but the dual boss and final boss afterwards make up very well for it. The endings all feel really good and Ending E is loving awesome as you see the inspiring words of people who gave their save data to help you out. It is a genuinely compelling ending that brought me around hard into loving the game and being fine with giving up my save data for other people.

So yeah, game's good. I wouldn't say it's Platinum's best, but MGR is my favorite platinum game and I feel that's a high bar.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

No Mods No Masters posted:

They don't sell pure waters.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This game is very strange so far! I just completed the first on-the-ground objective after the demo left off (the resistance camp) and my only real question is what happened to my big sword? I seem to've lost it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bogart posted:

This game is very strange so far! I just completed the first on-the-ground objective after the demo left off (the resistance camp) and my only real question is what happened to my big sword? I seem to've lost it.

Go back to the factory

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh. Makes sense! I kinda just figured that the black boxes blew up everything ever, thousand-fold hanzo steel included.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Just got ending E

I am weak willed and could not give up my save data to save someone else :smith:

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Lakbay posted:

Just got ending E

I am weak willed and could not give up my save data to save someone else :smith:

COWARD. anyway I've been trying to a do a post save clear run but with studying/working/writing I haven't really had time. It is really nice seeing everything again with the proper context and im making it a point to do alot more sidequests in route A and route B, just to spend more time with 2B since now I know that we lose her. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty salty about that poo poo a good amount through route C. 9S' rage was justified, dammit.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh my god Ending K.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lakbay posted:

Just got ending E

I started crying when I found out about that, because so many people had come and helped me. Four people died so I could beat the credits. And there were...maybe eight different names who appeared to my aid. So many people gave up their saves just to bring my worthless self past the credits...at that point, I felt like I had to honor that sacrifice by doing the same.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

No Mods No Masters posted:

I was very confused by this. Huge spoiler included.

I saw the option from the strange resistance lady, but it wouldn't actually let me buy anything even though I had the money? Doesn't matter anymore, I did the right thing and sacrificed my saves.

Game was great.

impure flutter
May 31, 2014

Starting 9S's arc was a bit of a schlep but the payoff was so worth it. Finished ending E a couple days ago.

Game felt like a dream and I'll never get to play it for the first time again.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I just got ending E.

Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god. People gave up their save data for my sorry rear end. I was already feeling kind of emotional when the messages showed up with each death, but now that the reveal's been made, I can't help but wonder if the game was being serious when I lost friends and it would say [name]'s user data deleted. And now I feel pretty terrible. Does that mean they can't help anyone else now? Is their user data now gone from the network forever because I'm bad at bullet hells?? Someone's all-nighters were sacrificed just so I could get an ending in a video game. And now mine are, too. Nier Automata is perfect.

I don't mind going through this game again, maybe this time I'll actually do the sidequests and weapon stuff. Pretty glad now I only did the ones I really wanted to do for the first full run instead of trying to go for all of them.

Video games are good when they produce feelings.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm getting really frustrated at my PS4 controller lately. Ever since I started playing NieR, the controller just sticks occasionally. The character I'm playing as will just start running in a direction and no button I press will do anything. Or just almost all the buttons will become unresponsive for a few seconds when in menus.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? Not sure if it's just with NieR or if it's my PS4 controller as I haven't really used my PS4 as anything but a youtube machine for the past few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

melodicwaffle posted:

I just got ending E.

Video games are good when they produce feelings.

Same here. I actually want to step away and savor it for awhile, but in a couple months or so I wanna do a thorough completionist run and see just what else there is to discover. This game ends on such a surprisingly strong emotional high note.