Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright I finally have to ask:

The Atelier series seems to be a thread favorite, but as somebody whose Atelier experience began and ended at Iris, did it really get that much better?

Edit: Oh wait, and Annie. I was unimpressed with Annie.

Iris is considered the worst one of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's probably more playable than the original version of Rorona but yeah. Try Ayesha when it's on sale or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you have a decent internet connection, you can do PS now PC free trial with Ayesha and Escha+Lodgy on it. I did not like Ayesha that much, I really liked Escha+Lodgy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright I finally have to ask:

The Atelier series seems to be a thread favorite, but as somebody whose Atelier experience began and ended at Iris, did it really get that much better?

Edit: Oh wait, and Annie. I was unimpressed with Annie.
iris isn't like most other atelier games, it has a male protagonist and seemed to be an attempt to entice dudes who like more standard JRPGs, considering its structure and mechanics. I'd say check out ayesha or escha and logy.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah atelier iris is a very bad game to base your series expectations off of. i'm pretty sure it's even considered the worst game in its own trilogy

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I do appreciate that the existence of Atelier Iris eventually lead to the existence of the two Mana Khemia games, which I actually quite enjoy.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Iris 3 is the worst of the trilogy.
I would say Iris 1 is actually the best, despite the weirdness of Klein's portrait art.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Barrel!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Iris remains the only Aterlier game I've played, although I don't think I ever finished it.

It did have a track featuring beatboxing which is always a positive in a game imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r7jO2Guj5Y

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tired Moritz posted:

Iris 3 is the worst of the trilogy.
I would say Iris 1 is actually the best, despite the weirdness of Klein's portrait art.
But Iris 1 is so rough...There's barely anything to it. I like how each game in the unofficial quintology improves and adds new elements to the formula, which makes me real sad they're probably never making a Mana Khemia 3.

And you have to give Iris 3 credit for inventing the time card based battle system which is used to great effect in MK1 and 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Iris 3 have terrible characters. Iris 1 is good and I love the little segments when they chit chat after every synthesis.

The battle system is bare but playable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this barrel doesn't have anything in it, but that barrel does... it's really complex.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Iris 3 have terrible characters. Iris 1 is good and I love the little segments when they chit chat after every synthesis.

The battle system is bare but playable.

If you liked the synthesis parts of Iris 1 you should play a normal Atelier game because that's the entirety of those

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

corn in the bible posted:

If you liked the synthesis parts of Iris 1 you should play a normal Atelier game because that's the entirety of those

They specifically said they like the little skits you get after making most items for the first time which normal Atelier games don't really do.

Iris 2 is the weakest Iris game. 1 is a weird little mess of half executed ideas but it has heart. 3 is a pretty good game of about half its length that got way too padded. 2 is just laziness incarnate. It's like they were trying to answer the question, "How little effort is it possible to expend while still ending up with a complete, full length RPG?"

wateyad fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 12, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

He could play rorona :downs:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I don't know, I thought the two worlds thing was kinda interesting. Though, I'll admit I can't even remember the battle system..

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Iris 3 was the first Atelier game I played. Never tried 1 or 2 so I can't compare it but I really enjoyed it back when I was 13ish, the whole class/costume thing was real neato.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I disliked Iris 2 but Rorona actually made me give up on the franchise until I had to do E&L for work. It's remarkable just how little I enjoyed that game. It's not the worst JRPG ever or anything but man was it souring.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I got into the series through Mana Khemia, which isn't that bad a start point, really (never played 2 though, since it didn't come out in Europe). I actually kinda liked the original Rorona too, even though it's obviously flawed as all hell.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
If you like conversations about synthesized stuff, you should consider checking out the Ar tonelico games. The first one even feels more of a sequel to Atelier Iris 2 than 3 does.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

What are some good RPGs that do interesting things with setting, story, and characters, outside the bog standard fantasy/sci-fi/magic anime people?

The games I can think of off the top of my head are:
Mother/EB games
Space Funeral
Lisa
Undertale, sort of
Metal Max Returns
And heck, even Sweet Home scratches that itch.

Edit: I guess Shadow Hearts and Persona games sort of fit the bill too. I'm kind of just looking for something weird and different. If it makes a difference, I've also been curious about games on the PC88/98 since I never got around to trying anything from those.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 12, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shadow hearts

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The World Ends with you.

Final Fantasy X's setting is a weird Eastern Islander meets psychedelic tech mix that's really weird and unique.

IX's setting is a lot more Shakespearean/fairy tale-y than most bu t that's probably skirting too close to traditional Fantasy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

MockingQuantum posted:

What are some good RPGs that do interesting things with setting, story, and characters, outside the bog standard fantasy/sci-fi/magic anime people?

Planescape: Torment is fantasy, but definitely not Tolkien-esque fantasy.

Edit: More action RPGs, but the Soulblazer series.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 12, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The atelier customization in Sophie would have been way better if I didn't have to dedicate nearly all of it to auxiliary storage.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

MockingQuantum posted:

Both Nier games.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Planescape: Torment is fantasy, but definitely not Tolkien-esque fantasy.

Edit: More action RPGs, but the Soulblazer series.

I wish there were more games like the Soulblazer series. Soulblazer itself is still one I go back to frequently. Not sure what it is about the game but it feels unique in a weird, endearing way.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The World Ends with you.

Final Fantasy X's setting is a weird Eastern Islander meets psychedelic tech mix that's really weird and unique.

IX's setting is a lot more Shakespearean/fairy tale-y than most bu t that's probably skirting too close to traditional Fantasy.

Oh I totally forgot about TWEWY, I have yet to play that. It'll probably be the next one I tackle (possibly after Torment: Tides etc. if it grabs me)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

troika with its arcanum and vamp the masquerade has 2 settings i don't think you have very many other games in

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

The first 20% of Wild ARMs games, I suppose. The western aesthetic always feels very fresh and novel until it collapses into anime tropes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wild arms 3 sticks pretty close to the western setting. there's some robots and stuff but none of the party members are power rangers or anything.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

wild arms 3 sticks pretty close to the western setting. there's some robots and stuff but none of the party members are power rangers or anything.

Yeah I'd agree with that, I've seen my wife play through WA3 a handful of times. Seems fun, but she's a completion of and holy crap is that a long endgame if you're into doing everything.

This does make me wish there were more translated Metal Max games. Maybe I'll just replay Metal Max Returns til something elee strikes my fancy.

On an unrelated question, are there any good SRPGs on Steam besides console ports?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Shadowrun series.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tae posted:

The Shadowrun series.

I suppose so, yeah... I was thinking maybe something more along the lines of Shining Force or Fire Emblem.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Xcom games are good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MockingQuantum posted:

I suppose so, yeah... I was thinking maybe something more along the lines of Shining Force or Fire Emblem.
Battle for Wesnoth
Banner Saga
Invisible Inc

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Battle for Wesnoth
Banner Saga
Invisible Inc

WrightOfWay posted:

The Xcom games are good.

Dang, I've played all of these. Maybe I've drained the genre dry...

How's Voidspire Tactics? Also I saw Bastard Bonds recommended a few pages back, but I have no idea if that was a joke or not. The game looks very... masculine.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

MockingQuantum posted:

Dang, I've played all of these. Maybe I've drained the genre dry...

How's Voidspire Tactics? Also I saw Bastard Bonds recommended a few pages back, but I have no idea if that was a joke or not. The game looks very... masculine.
Bastard Bonds is very, very gay. It's also a good game, so if I can muscle through constant T&A in every goddamn mainstream RPG to get to the gameplay, you can do the same :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Bastard Bonds is a good game with some really impressive spritework.