Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Coq au Nandos posted:

Zeo is number one.

Goes without saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think I'm just really biased towards Time Force in general.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Those are great, though they remind me that I'm due to have some issues ahead trying to digest the movies. Because if I had to pick two things that are iconic to Power Rangers as a nostalgia brand worth capitalizing on, sure the Zyuranger suits are important but Ron Wasserman's butt-rock score full of harmonies and screeching guitar solos is the other.

The movie, the adaption of the pirate sentai, etc all sort of comes close to what I want but never quite gets there. If they were to ever shoot HD footage with a bunch of fight choreography in the Zyuranger costumes AND the audio guys put "We Need A Hero" to it... It would be like that one South Park capture of a guy who came all over the room.

In case you don't already have it

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Gaz-L posted:

(I actually think Jungle Fury has the best theme overall)

:hfive:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So Billy has issues with being on a space ship.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Twitch is streaming all 831 episodes starting next week. It's this year's Bob Ross. http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/twitch-power-rangers-streaming-free-marathon-1202004761/

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Likely behind the times on these, but here's some Power Rangers stuff I've stumbled upon, thanks to the upcoming movie dragging me into the series again:

Ranger Danger is a Power Rangers podcast that I've grown to enjoy. Two aussie dudes going through the series, talking about them, ripping them to poo poo, and generally doing it in an amusing way. Not the most clean-sounding of podcasts (they got that echoing thing going on that I know I had when I was on a podcast, the one I have no idea how to not do), and they are kinda scattershot about the episodes they do (some days doing a later/new episode, some days doing the next MMPR in order), but I still laugh a lot.

Ranger Retrospective is a blog that is going through all the episodes. The writing is solid, the jokes tend to land, and the descriptions under the gifs the dude makes make me laugh more than they should. Also has a habit of elaborating on some of the behind-the-scenes stuff that I've kinda heard here and there before, but never to the degree this guy does.

Finally, a new clip from the movie that is keeping my interest up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is there a PR/Sentai series with a greater opening-quality/show-quality divide than Turbo?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So apparently Kyoyuger was so successful in Korea its getting a sequel series called Power Rangers Dino Force. I kind of want to watch it given to see what the rational for the updated mecha are which are the original designs with weapons stuck on them. Gabutyra has a machine gun and another one of them has a chainsaw.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gabutyra has a machine gun? So he's got Parasagun zap-strapped to him?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Gabutyra has a machine gun? So he's got Parasagun zap-strapped to him?

I think they all have guns now. Especially Parasagun.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Coq au Nandos posted:

I think they all have guns now. Especially Parasagun.
Wow.... Though this does bring up an interesting question. Why is it called Power Rangers?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wow.... Though this does bring up an interesting question. Why is it called Power Rangers?

Korea has typically always called their Sentai dubs Power Rangers ___ Force for some reason, this is just the first time to my knowledge they're doing something more original instead.

If you're asking where the name "Power Rangers" came from to begin with my best guess is they wanted something generic sounding in case they ended up adapting seasons in the future that weren't Zyuranger (which of course they did).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 14, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

MadScientistWorking posted:

According to this pitch video, it was originally called Galaxy Rangers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
A whole bunch of countries have sentai re-dubbed as-is under the "Power Rangers" brand.

There was a live stage show in Malaysia last year that used the PR name and included the ToQgers.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Based on some of the lawsuits we've seen, it seems to be the case that Saban somehow secured the right to have all sentai and possibly also other Toei toku properties, and parodies/homages thereof, under the umbrella of "Power Rangers" outside of Japan.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

deadly_pudding posted:

Based on some of the lawsuits we've seen, it seems to be the case that Saban somehow secured the right to have all sentai and possibly also other Toei toku properties, and parodies/homages thereof, under the umbrella of "Power Rangers" outside of Japan.

Yeah, remember that toku-based management/battle sim had to put "inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" on the title screen? Saban loves to rake in the cash for everything toku outside of Japan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

deadly_pudding posted:

I want someone to try and get Akibaranger brought out of Japan just to see how Saban reacts.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

We're three episodes in!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Will there be a reason to keep it on a second monitor for the span of Wild Force through Overdrive?

Unrelated, but is it wrong to almost like Jungle Fury's mentor (RJ) more then Zordon?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

MisterBibs posted:

Unrelated, but is it wrong to almost like Jungle Fury's mentor (RJ) more then Zordon?
:350: RJ :350: is cool and good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean

Dino Thunder has a really good theme song

Shame about its ending

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Man, MMPR episodes are astonishingly short without commercials.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The movie has a credits stinger.

Here's hoping it's CGI Dragonzord coming out of the bay.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Man, MMPR episodes are astonishingly short without commercials.

Welcome to broadcast television. They're clocking in at 17 minutes I'm guesstimating? Remember to include both the openings and closing credits too since this was before they were essentially cut out for more commercials or for other programs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It was especially bad for the early episodes.

Later on, with I think Zeo? they started reaching more normal lengths, closer to 22 minutes long. Early on though, like with 80s Sentai, they were only around 17 minutes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Rough timing for the latest episode makes it look like it's closer to 20-21 minutes. It's still short considering it's meant to fit into a half hour block, but it seems fairly close to standard.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

MisterBibs posted:

Will there be a reason to keep it on a second monitor for the span of Wild Force through Overdrive?

Ninja Storm is good.
Dino Thunder has my favorite theme after the original. Plus the only American episode featuring the Super Sentai actors.
SPD is great except for the 6th Ranger being a ball of light.
Mystic Force was enjoyable plus MagiMother is adapted faithfully.
Operation Overdrive. Meh. But the anniversary episode is worth watching. Plus, the bad guys are based on the Megazord forms of previous series. The main baddie is the MMPR zord.

So some good and some bad. If you haven't seen it it won't hurt you. I haven't watched much Wild Force. But the morpher are cell phones that turn into animals so that's something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The movie has a credits stinger.

Here's hoping it's CGI Dragonzord coming out of the bay.

It'll be Tommy finding the coin from Rita's staff.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

RJ is a character type I've always dug, the wise mentor who feigns being about 3 nickels short of a quarter when he's really only about 1 short, and can wreck poo poo when it comes down to it. He's basically Yoda, if Yoda did a lot of weed instead of hanging out in a swamp because Ghost Liam Neeson told him to.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Gaz-L posted:

It'll be Tommy finding the coin from Rita's staff.

I hope its JDF picking it up, getting fried with green energy, then another guy steps over his skeleton, picks it up and his eyes flash green

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, this marathon owns. I love seeing the live reactions to some of the stranger stuff, like an episode that's all about Jason and Tommy having to learn to work together for a competition... and then the competition is 4 rounds of 1v1 and a final 20 second round of them in the ring together.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Gaz-L posted:

RJ is a character type I've always dug, the wise mentor who feigns being about 3 nickels short of a quarter when he's really only about 1 short, and can wreck poo poo when it comes down to it. He's basically Yoda, if Yoda did a lot of weed instead of hanging out in a swamp because Ghost Liam Neeson told him to.

Same. I love mentor characters that seem like they're full of poo poo which is exactly what RJ is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Testekill posted:

Same. I love mentor characters that seem like they're full of poo poo which is exactly what RJ is.

Yeah, RJ was one of the best parts of something that was otherwise a fairly mediocre season (and this is coming from somebody who actually liked Gekiranger).

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Testekill posted:

What if they're extremely creepy sex bot perverts like Andrew Hartford

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Man, this marathon owns. I love seeing the live reactions to some of the stranger stuff, like an episode that's all about Jason and Tommy having to learn to work together for a competition... and then the competition is 4 rounds of 1v1 and a final 20 second round of them in the ring together.

:agreed:

My favorite bit from the chat is the Tommy AFK jokes. Man, the footage really made them think up some dumb rear end justifications for the Green Ranger not showing up.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Tommy AFK jokes are so on point that it takes me back to being a kid complaining about the same poo poo at the time lol.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Larryb posted:

Yeah, RJ was one of the best parts of something that was otherwise a fairly mediocre season (and this is coming from somebody who actually liked Gekiranger).

I adore both seasons. To me, Lily is more fleshed out than Ran, Fran is basically the avatar of PR fandom, and Dom probably could have had more cool stuff to do if the writer's strike hadn't been happening at the time. I also prefer the Jungle Fury ending arch with Jared and Camille vs Mele and Rio.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Morby posted:

I adore both seasons. To me, Lily is more fleshed out than Ran, Fran is basically the avatar of PR fandom, and Dom probably could have had more cool stuff to do if the writer's strike hadn't been happening at the time. I also prefer the Jungle Fury ending arch with Jared and Camille vs Mele and Rio.

Alright maybe mediocre is the wrong word. It's not a terrible season by any means, it's just not one of my favorites either. However, I did like some of the characters better than their Gekiranger counterparts such as Lilly and RJ (and even Casey had his moments such as twords the end of the season when he stormed the enemy fortress alone and unmorphed and actually did pretty well for himself).

I will maintain that Long is a much better villian than Dai Shi though. I also kind of liked Rio's story better than Jared's as the former was manipulated into his quest for power since childhood without him even realizing it and when he finally learned that his entire life had essentially been a lie it pretty much broke him. Jared, on the other hand, was pretty much an rear end in a top hat from the start who then spent most of the season being mind-controlled by the villian (though it's kind of hard to tell at times just who's in control as sometimes he's basically Dai Shi's mouthpiece while in others he seems more like the Jared we saw at the beginning of the series). The more subtle approach of Gekiranger just works a little better for me.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The memes in twitch chat are pretty funny. Thinking of the kids that use twitch they're prolly seeing this for the first time. Pretty smart of Saban copying TPP and Bob Ross.