Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A He 177 starts up; note the man in the foreground ready with the fire extinguisher

Amerkia Bombers III: Walkin' on Sunshine

1941 must have been a good year to be a Nazi. Everything was coming up Hitler! The French were beaten. The Third Reich has expanded its borders greatly, having become the hegemon of Continental Europe. Their remaining opponents, the British, were locked out of the continent entirely. What's more, Germany was so strong in Europe that the war's center of gravity had shifted to the Mediterranean, away from the Reich itself.

Our story picks up at the start of 1941, when all the big garbagemenchen were fresh back from jew-free Christmas. Hitler had made the monumental and ultimately fatal decision to attack the Soviet Union - the Third Reich was pivoting to the east. While the Kriegsmarine and the Luftwaffe had been given the job of neutralizing Britain, most Luftwaffe units in France and the Low Countries had been reassigned, leaving a small force to coordinate with the Kriegsmarine's U-boat campaign.

The Kriegsmarine, though, was still feeling optimistic, as it made a request to the RLM for something. While the German Navy didn't have many aircraft to support its U-boats with, it did apparently have some optimism that the He 177 or some variant of the Bomber B project would be deployed in the near future. (The 'Bomber B' project - the He 177 was procured under the 'Bomber A' project - was an ambitious Nazi effort to replace its current medium bombers [the Ju 88, He 111, and Do 217] with much higher performing next generation models. The key to all these designs was the Jumo 222 or the Daimler-Benz 604, engines projected to make 2500 hp with similarly advanced drag characteristics and power-to-weight ratios. Both engine programs ended in failure, and so all the Bomber B projects would be cancelled.) What the Kreigsmarine wanted, in the spirit of sunshine, was a bomber to support the Kriegsmarine in the Western Atlantic. While the goal of the Kriegsmarine was reconnaissance for U-boats, this request was perhaps inevitably bundled in with the Amerika bomber program, which had suddenly found high level interest.

link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Several pages back there was a link to some neo-Nazi propaganda posters. A number of them were specifically anti-abortion. Was that always a Nazi thing, or is that a modern absorption of current American right-wing beliefs?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Off the top of my head nazis were very pro abortion of specific people.

If they're of the "we need to have lots of aryan babies to outcompete the devious forrins" stripe then I imagine that would be consistent.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This page has good info: https://blog.uvm.edu/jscontom/reproduction/

tl;dr it's complicated:

quote:

Hitlers stated stance on contraceptives was, “the use of contraceptives means a violation of nature, a degradation of womanhood, motherhood, and love.” This didn’t stop him from encouraging abortions and contraceptives in Poland in which they had previously been illegal for religious reasons. This two faced nature of the Third Reich towards abortion is one of the best examples of the Nazis contradictory policies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

pthighs posted:

Several pages back there was a link to some neo-Nazi propaganda posters. A number of them were specifically anti-abortion. Was that always a Nazi thing, or is that a modern absorption of current American right-wing beliefs?

Nationalists and militarists in general have a tendency to see women as baby generating machines because that's how you build a great nation that will trounce its neighbours in a war. Nazis were no stranger to this, they had a medal for mothers that had at least four kids, with the highest class reserved for mothers with 8 or more kids. But this wasn't specific to Nazis, it was actually modelled after the French medal that had been established in 1920 and Soviets also followed in the suit.

But neo-Nazis are more likely to be also MRA's (because women have all the power to decide whether to carry or abort a pregnancy) than being true to old policies, I think. At the same time alt-right is not totally anti-abortion, as long as it's black people doing so. In fringe movements you will also find every possible combination of opinions, so I don't know if some images on the internet are really representative?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Fascism is the most homoerotic ideology.

Wilhelm Reich ghost account spotted.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Is it just me or does the Arado sketch look like it has underslung jet engines?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Greatbacon posted:

Anyone have any insight to share on the Spanish Civil War and Franco. I'm traveling through Spain and I keep running against a wall in regards to that history.

I'm going there in a week, what are the good history museums to visit?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I want to hear/read/be linked to more about the Spanish civil war too. Mostly for war games. I've got the osprey book coming but the more the merrier.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Plutonis posted:

I'm going there in a week, what are the good history museums to visit?
if you like the art i post every now and then go to the Prado, most of it is there

edit: and in person, Las Lanzas is extremely large

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GAIL posted:

if you like the art i post every now and then go to the Prado, most of it is there

edit: and in person, Las Lanzas is extremely large

I never considered myself a big art fan but I fell in love with the prado and walked around in there until my feet hurt, you simply must go there

Las Meninas is like, the freebird of the prado but you really do have to see it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

I never considered myself a big art fan but I fell in love with the prado and walked around in there until my feet hurt, you simply must go there

Las Meninas is like, the freebird of the prado but you really do have to see it
it is so good, las meninas. to think about which way all the glances in that painting are going will do your mind in

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

HEY GAIL posted:

it is so good, las meninas. to think about which way all the glances in that painting are going will do your mind in

The real question, the one the :airquote:experts:airquote: are afraid to ask is, what's the dog looking at

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

DiHK posted:

I want to hear/read/be linked to more about the Spanish civil war too. Mostly for war games. I've got the osprey book coming but the more the merrier.

Do you perhaps want to read the Spanish Interbrigades Archive? I hope you can read 26 languages though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ainsley McTree posted:

The real question, the one the :airquote:experts:airquote: are afraid to ask is, what's the dog looking at
its own fluffy feet. :3:

fluffy feet THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

HEY GAIL posted:

its own fluffy feet. :3:

fluffy feet THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT

[cross references dogge thread]

checks out

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

The blog is back with part 2 of the UK High Explosive Rocket inventory. What kind of "heads" were available for the 3-inch Aircraft Rocket? Which Air-to-Air Rocket was entering service at the time of the manual?

We've seen the Land Mattress, but what about the Sea Mattress? How was it used, and how could it be modified to help the gunners? What size rocket used a Cordtex (Primacord) net and what was its purpose? What anti-submarine munition looks like something built in your backyard for youtube? All that and more at the blog!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we rarely think about the women around mussolini, even though sarfatti helped cement his image. this is a new bio of his last mistress, clara petacci, the woman who died with him. turns out she had been an influence on his politics. based on documents which had been archived for 70 years.
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n06/bee-wilson/il-duce-and-the-red-alfa

she enriched her family at the state's expense, of course. switch the names around and this could have happened 500 years ago.

edit: they hung out together a lot

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 13, 2017

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
That edit tho :drat:

E:

Ensign Expendable posted:

Do you perhaps want to read the Spanish Interbrigades Archive? I hope you can read 26 languages though.

Thanks man, I'll warm up the old google translate.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 13, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wanna read bios of Rafanelli and Sarfatti. They sound way cool.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nine of Eight posted:

Is it just me or does the Arado sketch look like it has underslung jet engines?

It does. While I don't think it was a option in 1941, these designs were often toyed with long after they'd been rejected. In sketch form the Me 264 is powered by every imaginable configuration.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

and you can't stop

A week or two later, Life publishes a letter saying that the pictured Sunderland and her crew are KIA.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I was tempted by a 2nd hand copy about a book which was just pretty much an encyclopedia about powder horns earlier.

It had photographs people. OF POWDER. HORNS.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was tempted by a 2nd hand copy about a book which was just pretty much an encyclopedia about powder horns earlier.

It had photographs people. OF POWDER. HORNS.

Awesome. Did it also discuss how they were adapted to the loading procedure?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reading those propaganda posters a few pages back, are there any cases of loose lips actually sinking ships? Given how inept German intelligence was during the war, were there actually any intelligence ops run in America by the Abwehr?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

xthetenth posted:

I imagine it was covered in the intro part of the book. It was a hefty coffee table sized tome, I was seriously kicking the idea of picking it up in my head but there was nothing about black powder weapons to back it up. I browsed through, so many ornate lovely designs that would make a 17th century noble tweak his Van Dyke* in a sweaty aroused way.

*The beard style not his dick.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

WW2 Data

The blog is back with part 2 of the UK High Explosive Rocket inventory. What kind of "heads" were available for the 3-inch Aircraft Rocket? Which Air-to-Air Rocket was entering service at the time of the manual?

We've seen the Land Mattress, but what about the Sea Mattress? How was it used, and how could it be modified to help the gunners? What size rocket used a Cordtex (Primacord) net and what was its purpose? What anti-submarine munition looks like something built in your backyard for youtube? All that and more at the blog!

The air-to-air rockets remind me that Nazi Germany tried to invent the MANPADS. Unfortunately the technology didn't exist yet for homing missiles, so they just fired 9 rockets into the sky at once.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Reading those propaganda posters a few pages back, are there any cases of loose lips actually sinking ships? Given how inept German intelligence was during the war, were there actually any intelligence ops run in America by the Abwehr?

There's a case where an American engineer leaked basically every detail about the T70 tank destroyer to the Soviets in hopes that they would help him with the design (they didn't).

The T70 was eventually sent over anyway, so no harm done.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

zoux posted:

There's one major British capital ship loss (to a U-boat, I think) that is attributed to an intelligence report that she was about to sail from Gibraltar. I don't have the reference books to hand as I'm at work, but I will try to chase it down later this evening.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ensign Expendable posted:

There's a case where an American engineer leaked basically every detail about the T70 tank destroyer to the Soviets in hopes that they would help him with the design (they didn't).

The T70 was eventually sent over anyway, so no harm done.

Is the source for this publicly available? I didn't think the M18 Hellcat designers were that desperate for help.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

golden bubble posted:

Is the source for this publicly available? I didn't think the M18 Hellcat designers were that desperate for help.

It's in Pasholok's latest article on Warspot. Sadly he doesn't give the document reference, but he said he'll publish some scans in the coming days, so maybe this will be one of them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

the horn for the powder you load with, you stop with your thumb. the horn for the powder you prime with has a little metal spout thing like a jigger

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zoux posted:

A US congressman leaked the fact that Japanese depth charges were set incorrectly and thus did not damage US submarines. nice.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

A US congressman leaked the fact that Japanese depth charges were set incorrectly and thus did not damage US submarines. nice.

quote:

the deficiencies of Japanese depth-charge tactics were revealed in a press conference held in June 1943 by Congressman May on his return from a war zone junket. At this press conference, May revealed the highly sensitive fact that American submarines had a high survival rate because Japanese depth charges were typically fuzed to explode at too shallow a depth.

Vice Admiral Charles A. Lockwood, commander of the U.S. submarine fleet in the Pacific, later estimated that May's security breach cost the United States Navy as many as ten submarines and 800 crewmen killed in action, stating "I hear Congressman May said the (Japanese) depth charges are not set deep enough. He would be pleased to know (they) set them deeper now."

lol

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Squalid posted:

One of my ancestors who owned a plantation in Arkansas was crippled and shortly died in 1865 after being assaulted by a criminal gang trying to extort money out of him, money which the war had made disappear. Family legend is that while they hung him by the neck and were demanding the location where he buried his (nonexistent) money, his newly freed slave came around with a shotgun and chased them off.

Only because if he'd told them where it was buried the ex-slave wouldn't have gotten his modest cut. :tinfoil:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Only because if he'd told them where it was buried the ex-slave wouldn't have gotten his modest cut. :tinfoil:
are you familiar enough with the US to remember when secret confederate gold was a meme?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

quote:

Following news reports of irregularities concerning his conduct in office, May was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1946 to the Eightieth Congress. The bribery scandal was intensified by testimony of excessive profit-taking in the Garsson munition business, and that the Garsson factory produced 4.2-inch mortar shells with defective fuzes, resulting in premature detonation and the deaths of 38 American soldiers.[8] After less than two hours of deliberation,[9] May was convicted by a federal jury on July 3, 1947, on charges of accepting bribes to use his position as Chairman of the Military Affairs Committee to secure munitions contracts during the Second World War. Murray and Henry Garsson also received prison terms.[10] After protracted efforts to avoid incarceration,[9] May subsequently served nine months in federal prison.

However, he continued to retain influence in Democratic party politics, and President Truman decided to grant May a full pardon in 1952.[1] Unable to revive his political career, he returned home to practice law until his death.[1]

What a poo poo. Plus ça change.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HEY GAIL posted:

i thought it said ZING and i was like hell yeah wanna join that navy

It took until this for me to re-read and realise it wasn't Zing.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on on this one even by the standards of war posters. Soldiers need a line of red tanks to turn grey to the fury of a shirtless british soldier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

spectralent posted:

It took until this for me to re-read and realise it wasn't Zing.

I have absolutely no idea what's going on on this one even by the standards of war posters. Soldiers need a line of red tanks to turn grey to the fury of a shirtless british soldier?

The grey figures are Soviets, the red ones are British. By giving the Red Army sensual massages guns and tanks, victory will be achieved.