Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

As a PC plebeian I am unbelievably looking forwards to this coming Friday. I'm glad that this game seems to be meeting all expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? Not sure if it's just with NieR or if it's my PS4 controller as I haven't really used my PS4 as anything but a youtube machine for the past few months.

Experienced zero problems with Nier, but I'm on my 3rd PS4 controller due to them eventually breaking.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Vermain posted:

As a PC plebeian I am unbelievably looking forwards to this coming Friday. I'm glad that this game seems to be meeting all expectations.

I think it's fair to say that it takes a long time to get going. Nier clicked with me and many others almost immediately. Automata, on the other hand, I've just unlocked fast travel (I'm maybe 5-6 hours in, I think) and only now is it starting to feel like the game we all fell in love with way back when. So if you start playing and it feels really disappointing, don't worry, it's only temporary.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I couldn't get into the original Nier, but Automata grabbed me pretty quickly as the world opened up.

I'm glad that I did lots of side quests in Route A. It makes it easy to find the ones that are B specific.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just got the third ending (I thought it was C but the bit at the end said D). What an unbelievable game.

This credit music omfg.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Alright, I was having a bit of trouble filling out my quests, so I googled it.

I apparently managed to completely miss a mandatory one? improving communications. I just never got it.

It says it's part of the story and it's early on in the game, but it ain't in my quest log. Anyone know what's up?

Also, I'm having trouble getting a certain character to show up after I took some stuff from their house. Is that scripted, or do I just need to hope they randomly show up?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trick Question posted:

Alright, I was having a bit of trouble filling out my quests, so I googled it.

I apparently managed to completely miss a mandatory one? improving communications. I just never got it.

It says it's part of the story and it's early on in the game, but it ain't in my quest log. Anyone know what's up?

Also, I'm having trouble getting a certain character to show up after I took some stuff from their house. Is that scripted, or do I just need to hope they randomly show up?

As to the last point: the progress resets if you jump chapters. You need to talk to emil to unlock his house, interact with the mask, go back up and talk to him again, then go back down and hack the chest and it should trigger him when you try to leave

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I think I played this game for like 10 hours today, which is something I've basically never done before. It's super captivating and exciting. Surprisingly likable characters + interesting plot + really unsettling sad robots + fun gameplay with a lot of twists + stellar music

Seriously, this game's music. Best video game soundtrack since... Well, Nier.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

As to the last point: the progress resets if you jump chapters. You need to talk to emil to unlock his house, interact with the mask, go back up and talk to him again, then go back down and hack the chest and it should trigger him when you try to leave

I get that. I just can't get him to spawn after I interact with the mask, after combing the ruined city and leaving to reset it several times. If I go to another chapter he shows up in, I can easily get him to spawn up to that point.

Edit: Nevermind, found him, guess I was just getting unlucky.

Trick Question fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 13, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ok, I just got Ending E. Are the rest of the endings (basically F-Z) just the jokey ones for loving around?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Trick Question posted:

I get that. I just can't get him to spawn after I interact with the mask, after combing the ruined city and leaving to reset it several times. If I go to another chapter he shows up in, I can easily get him to spawn up to that point.

Ah, I see, that is weird. This is a total shot in the dark, but maybe try it at a different chapter in the plot? I can verify I was able to do all that content in chapter 7-1 as 9S.

fadam posted:

Ok, I just got Ending E. Are the rest of the endings (basically F-Z) just the jokey ones for loving around?

Yes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ah nuts, I was hoping there was maybe a super secret ending for having all the weapons and side quests or whatever.

What an absolutely incredible game. I can't remember the last time a video game gripped me like this.

EDIT: Minor spoilers for each playthrough Is there any way to get into the Bunker the Apologetic Machine is guarding in the desert? Whats in there?

fadam fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 13, 2017

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

fadam posted:

EDIT: Minor spoilers for each playthrough Is there any way to get into the Bunker the Apologetic Machine is guarding in the desert? Whats in there?

There are actually three such bunkers, there's also one in the forest and one in the sunken city. No one has found any use for any of them and as far as anyone can tell it's either a yoko taro troll or possibly a DLC hook

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know it'll never happen but I'd love some story focused DLC. I'm legit bummed there's no other ending to go for :(

Late game story questions:

I know that countless 9S robots have been sent to earth with countless 2E bodyguards, but does the bunker get blown up in a loop too? Or was that the catalyst that made these deaths more significant.

Also is the implication that 2B/E knew the truth about the Humans the whole time? She clearly remembered having to kill 9S.

Is there any significance to the name YoRHa? It kind of sounds like Yonah I guess.

gently caress, what a game.

fadam fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 13, 2017

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/interview-yoko-taro-nier-automata/

Spoilery interview with Taro, don't read it unless you've beaten the game. It's pretty good, you really get an idea of his process for this stuff and mindset in general.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

So, I got Ending B, and got started on the C path. And after that extended intro sequence..... gently caress. Is this the goddamn second half of the game? All of the poo poo just happened. YoRHa has been overtaken by a virus, leading to the Bunker being destroyed. 2B is loving DEAD. And now I'm in control of A2. Oh and there's a giant structure here now. After Ending A and B, I figured I had the game's number, or at least close enough to it, where it'd end up that we'd go into the third playthrough as A2 or whatever, and we'd see her perspective on the entire sequence of events, leading to having to fight against YoRHa and the Commander, getting the whole truth on what's going on. I was entirely wrong. Instead....all of this poo poo happened. And god, that entire sequence with the virus in 2B's last moments was incredible.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I just got to the Flooded City at level 23ish and there are level 25 insanely powerful robots stomping my rear end into the ground. It's this some sort of bug? Am I dumb and just missing something with this difficulty spike for what should be regular enemies?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

InnercityGriot posted:

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/interview-yoko-taro-nier-automata/

Spoilery interview with Taro, don't read it unless you've beaten the game. It's pretty good, you really get an idea of his process for this stuff and mindset in general.

Oh man that's so good, thanks for linking it. When he said he goes drinking with Toyama Ueda and Kamiya I just had to shake my drat head and think of how any human could be more based

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Fuzz posted:

So I just got to the Flooded City at level 23ish and there are level 25 insanely powerful robots stomping my rear end into the ground. It's this some sort of bug? Am I dumb and just missing something with this difficulty spike for what should be regular enemies?

Golden bots are far from "regular enemies". They usually spawn around that level depending on where you go first. If you can you're better off ignoring them till 2nd playthrough when you have easier time dealing with them, since to normal weapons they're pretty much invincible

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Haven't been reading the thread, but my copy arrived and I've been playing a little every day. Just cleared Ending A (and K and T) and took a peak at Route B and here are my thoughts so far.

Despite finding the three leads (2B, 9S, and Pod) a little frosty in the demo, they've really grown on me, and while Route A "Suffers" from the usual disjointedness that's typically part and parcel of being Route A in a Taro Yoko game, I felt like 2b and 9S's relationship gave the first playthrough a strong arc, even suspecting how much information is still being withheld from me. In particular, the scene following the final boss where 2B expresses distress over losing the 9S she knows really brought a lot of things full circle for me.

While the game does seem to stand alone for the most part, I've appreciated the callbacks: the masks in the desert, Emil, Devola and Popola (though they didn't do much), and the music during the fight with that giant robot taking cues from the Jack fight in the original Nier. I especially enjoy Emil's little scooter shop thingy. I also like how certain design choices seem geared around acknowledging things people complained about with Nier (while simultaneously taking the piss out of them), like the game explicitly telling you "If you're lost, just follow the minimap marker," and fishing being back but now it's bog simple. Tangentially, of my 8 or so deaths thus far, about a third of them have been inflicted by boars.

I expected Adam, Eve, Devola and Popola, and A2 to play a more prominent role in things, though I suppose that's what the other routes are for. And to head off any "But Adam and Eve were the main bad guys, what more do you want," yeah, but I still figured we'd get more scenes with them, which I'm sure is coming. I totally called the aliens being long dead, and I'm still pretty sure the humans are gonna end up dead as well, but I still would've liked to have seen the aliens.

Anyway, thus far the game is good at being funny and creepy and sweet and sad and basically everything Yoko Taro is good at, and everything he's not that good at either like the combat, though I confess with some of those bullet hell patterns I have no idea how anyone clears this game on Very Hard mode.

It also feels like this is the earliest Taro Yoko's ever tipped his hand, being a known entity outside of Japan now. He's famous for being subversive and his fans have come to expect the unexpected, so it's interesting to me how little time he wastes before dropping various plot bombs on the player.

Let me see, other stuff: I haven't come across that many weapons, though the few I have found just make me think I haven't been looking hard enough; Father Servo was here, Speed Star sucks; the amusement park and the basement cult were both incredible sections; Jackass is great and makes me wish this game had a few more voiced NPCs; something's up with 9S I feel, which I'll probably get out of Route B; a few quests seem to involve spending a lot of money, which I'm not hugely fond of since grinding for cash takes time; speaking of which, knowing there's a trophy shop, I hope the trophy for having 100,000 gold costs 100,000 gold because that would be perfect.

It's late so I can't think of much else to comment on. I probably won't post in here again until I've finished Route B.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

dasmause posted:

Golden bots are far from "regular enemies". They usually spawn around that level depending on where you go first. If you can you're better off ignoring them till 2nd playthrough when you have easier time dealing with them, since to normal weapons they're pretty much invincible

To expound on this, golden robots are special challenges. You have to defeat one set of them for the next challenge set to spawn. It just so happens that each set occurs in order on the mission critical path of Route B, so it's safe to say that's when you're intended to do them.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I was sort of amazed to learn you could even run into those on Route A. I literally never saw them there :psyduck:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mindblast posted:

I was sort of amazed to learn you could even run into those on Route A. I literally never saw them there :psyduck:

I'm pretty sure you even get a different set of dialogue for beating them in Route A.

fadam posted:

There may not be an extra ending, but there is an extra sidequest with a boss attached to it if you collect all the weapons and fully upgrade them.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I got my Shirt. I love my shirt.

Also,everyone not wearing a lunar tear on 2B is a monster.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Eopia posted:

I'm pretty sure you even get a different set of dialogue for beating them in Route A.

I can imagine because on Route B9s is the one who is chatty about them and some of them specifically appear to need to be hacked to be destroyed. You can hack at them while they're at 1 hp and it does nothing. Stands to reason it would be different for the character that can't hack.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I got my Shirt. I love my shirt.

Also,everyone not wearing a lunar tear on 2B is a monster.

It suits A2 better, imo.

Bugblatter posted:

To expound on this, golden robots are special challenges. You have to defeat one set of them for the next challenge set to spawn. It just so happens that each set occurs in order on the mission critical path of Route B, so it's safe to say that's when you're intended to do them.

Even when you're high level and maxed out, they take a good whipping to kill. If you want to do it melee instead, install the chip that doesn't let you stagger over X% HP and then just lay into them with the fists or something.

Teix
Nov 5, 2009

You want to touch me?
Regarding Ending E, is there a way to sacrifice my save without having to go through the credits again? I chose not to the first time because there was still a lot of stuff to complete.
Now I'm finally ready to do it, but not if it means going through the whole thing again and risk sacrificing more save files from kind strangers.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It suits A2 better, imo.

I just finished Ending A,so no A2 yet for me.

Edit

Is this one of the two good hacking minigames made by humans?

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 13, 2017

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Teix posted:

Regarding Ending E, is there a way to sacrifice my save without having to go through the credits again? I chose not to the first time because there was still a lot of stuff to complete.
Now I'm finally ready to do it, but not if it means going through the whole thing again and risk sacrificing more save files from kind strangers.

Not to ruin the magic, but I'm unsure it actually works like that. If it worked the way it said it does, the number of "saves" can only go down, because each save could only rescue one person, and not everyone is going to sacrifice.

Teix
Nov 5, 2009

You want to touch me?

Hackan Slash posted:

Not to ruin the magic, but I'm unsure it actually works like that. If it worked the way it said it does, the number of "saves" can only go down, because each save could only rescue one person, and not everyone is going to sacrifice.

Yeah, I guess I took the "Data for <X> erased" message too seriously.
Not to mention that a single troll dying over and over on purpose would ruin everything.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Hackan Slash posted:

It's the thought that counts you could probably boil down one of the game's themes to that too

I had to mull over what happened in the game after I beat it so I can say that it was one of the very few video game endings I enjoyed. This was my first Yoko Taro game too, I was expecting stuff to be a bit wackier going from what people said about the other games. Is Nier: Automata more subdued than his other stuff or were people exaggerating about his other works?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Drakengard 1 is wacky. Mainly because you don't expect it

But wacky and hosed up or sad aren't mutually exclusive.

Like Emil in Automata. He sure is wacky but sad :smith:

I actually got teary.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I never found Emil's house. :(

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I never found Emil's house. :(

I did find it on Ending A and never got back out due to enemies.

one of the pipes in central city, reachable by floating from above takes you to Emilville

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Emil's stupid song cracks me up every time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Every day
is
great
if
you're
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yoko Taro: Is that a challenge?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

okay guys i love this game, but before i delete my save should i finish the sidequests and the other endings first?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

okay guys i love this game, but before i delete my save should i finish the sidequests and the other endings first?

Follow your heart. If you think you'll enjoy doing it, go for it. That said,another full complete playthrough is good because you'll get the context of some parts and it's like switching on a light.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

if you say no you can just repeat the credits later to be given the choice again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

okay thats good, i'm at the end here and have something like 98% of the quests done and most of the weapons finished, i figured i'd wrap those and the hidden bosses up before doing that.

chapter select and debug mode are a god send thank based Taro

edit: also any word on what those hidden elevators are for? dlc i'm guessing?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 13, 2017