Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the one hand, we have a games-related Youtube personality openly espousing racist bullshit. On the other hand we have a games-related Youtube personality who gave a game a 7/10. One of these people has gotten folks so worked up that they're attempting to hijack their social media accounts and DDoS their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Unless he's literally never paid any attention to the internet at all there's no way this isn't exactly what he expected when he gave it that score.

I'm pretty sure he just expected people to yell at him on forums and youtube comments, not to hack his website/social media account.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Andrast posted:

I'm pretty sure he just expected people to yell at him on forums and youtube comments, not to hack his website/social media account.

That's really naive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1sklmOR9E

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Andrast posted:

Attention is what reviewers/youtubers/"content creators" want and need.

Sounds like he's more of a discontent creator, haha

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally got a shotgun to the Tunnel Man so I can go to the Ice Caves anytime! :woop:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

StrixNebulosa posted:

I finally got a shotgun to the Tunnel Man so I can go to the Ice Caves anytime! :woop:

Congrats! The downside is that if you ever take the shortcut you'll be woefully underequipped.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Congrats! The downside is that if you ever take the shortcut you'll be woefully underequipped.

Oh, absolutely. I have no illusions of the tunnels helping me get better at playing -

But what they are good at is helping me go down and learn how the levels work. Instead of becoming intimately familiar with the mines and then wondering why jumping on that red plant isn't working, or why I'm not good at climbing tiki traps, instead I can go straight to the jungle and learn all of the patterns and things so I'm not wasting a good run learning things the lethal way. (First time I went into the Ice Caves I walked up to a yeti and whipped it and it picked me up and threw me across the stage into a mine, which exploded.)

Now I'm actually pretty good at making it from the mines and to the jungles, and it wouldn't be possible without those shortcuts!

...also it's nice to start off in a zone that's not the mines again.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What is it about Zelda that it seems to have the most rabid superfans? I mean, I liked Link to the Past but I don't think it changed my life, and I never dug into any of the later ones

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

jontron went insane in a live stream, clips will probably go viral tomorrow, i'm hoping this month can get to the end already so I can be enjoying Snake Pass or Rain World already

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/596370/

This game came out a couple days ago, looks like an interesting little puzzler. Anyone know about it?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is it about Zelda that it seems to have the most rabid superfans? I mean, I liked Link to the Past but I don't think it changed my life, and I never dug into any of the later ones

It's a videogame.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Quest For Glory II posted:

jontron went insane in a live stream

again???

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

He totally did it on purpose to cause this very reaction.

Quest For Glory II posted:

jontron went insane in a live stream, clips will probably go viral tomorrow, i'm hoping this month can get to the end already so I can be enjoying Snake Pass or Rain World already

:munch:

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

People said this about the 8.8 and it was just as loving stupid back then.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Do fans in other mediums give a poo poo about reviews? Pretty sure movie reviews are seen as a novelty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Do fans in other mediums give a poo poo about reviews?

comicbook.com posted:

After the dust settles, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice might wind up being the most divisive superhero movie ever made. While many professional reviewers panned Batman V Superman, the movie opened to one of the largest box offices of all time, breaking several records along the way. Box office analysts are still arguing whether Batman V Superman will go down as a box office success or failure, with some pointing to the movie’s historic Friday-Sunday drop, while others point to Monday’s record setting box office as an indicator of future performance.

And that’s not even counting the intense arguments between fans and detractors of the movie. Several prominent comics creators, including Amazing Spider-Man writer Dan Slott, have spent days arguing about the merits of Batman V Superman with fans and whether the movie captures the “spirit” of the comic book characters. Some fans of the movie have even claimed Batman V Superman has suffered from a “critics’ conspiracy”, in which movie critics deliberately panned the film because they were on Disney’s payroll.

Those who dislike Batman V Superman have often pointed to the movie’s poor Rotten Tomato score as proof that the movie stinks. Rotten Tomato aggregates professional movie reviews on their website and assigns them a “Fresh” or “Rotten” score based on whether the critic gave a good or bad review. Currently, Batman V. Superman sits at a 28%, lower than critically panned movies like Daredevil , Spider-Man 3, and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. (The movie remains higher than last year’s Fantastic Four movie, as well as Elektra and Catwoman.) However, one reader tipped ComicBook.com that Batman V Superman’s Rotten Tomato Score might be getting unfairly deflated and that some reviews were being labeled “rotten” despite giving the movie mixed or even largely positive reviews. So, being a crack investigative journalist, I decided to do a deep dive and see if this tip had any merit.

Our anonymous tipster’s argument centered around 30 or so reviews that had “middling” scores ranging from a “C+” to a “3 out of 5 stars”. While these reviews had plenty of criticism for Batman V Superman, they didn’t claim the movie was an abomination against God and man either. For instance, David Edwards calls the movie’s central fight “great fun to watch”, while criticizing the movie’s ungainly storyline. Stephanie Zacherk of Time Magazine called Batman V Superman a grand superhero spectacle, albeit one without much fun. Nathanael Hood of The Young Folks even admitted he “rather liked” Batman V Superman, even while giving the film a “6/10 score”.

So should Batman V Superman’s Rotten Tomato score be higher? Well…no. These mediocrely scored reviews were marked “rotten”, just as they would be for any other movie. For instance, Jurassic World (rated 72% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) had 18 comparable reviews similarly listed as "rotten", even though several of the reviews praised the movie's effects, pull on nostalgia or overall spectacle of dinosaurs eating humans and each other. Iron Man 2 (also rated 72% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) similarly had 17 rotten reviews that called the film "entertaining" and "fun" while still scoring the movie at a B- or below. While some critics might have given Batman V Superman some faint (or even strong) praise, Rotten Tomatoes has a pretty established history of giving “C” or “3 out of 5 stars” reviews a rotten rating unless the review contained overwhelming praise or ultimately recommended going to see the movie.

It should also be noted that Batman V Superman had over 20 "3 out of 5" reviews listed as "fresh" and that these reviews ultimately encouraged readers to see the film and were much more positive in tone. Even though the scores were the same, these "fresh" reviews had a totally different tone than the "rotten" reviews. Similarly, Jurassic World and Iron Man 2 also had a large amount of "3 out of 5" fresh reviews, which ultimately recommended seeing the movies and dished out far more praise than comparable "rotten" reviews. But, for argument's sake, even if Rotten Tomatoes’ standards were just a wee bit lower (and I’m not arguing they should be) and every mediocre review were listed as fresh as opposed to rotten, Batman V Superman’s score would jump up all the way to….39%, a grade still low enough to justify the site’s overall “Rotten” rating.

While there’s no conspiracy to artificially lower Batman V Superman’s Rotten Tomatoes score, fans can take comfort in knowing that 72% of Rotten Tomatoes users liked the film. Among 175,000 user ratings, Batman V Superman’s average rating is a 3.8/5 stars, a score high enough to justify a “fresh” rating on the site. So chin up, Batman V Superman fans! Critics might not have liked the movie, but over 126,000 people on the Internet did. And judging from the box office numbers, there’s at least a few other fans who didn’t hate Batman V Superman either.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, I'm sure having hordes of insane weirdos trying to hijack your Twitter and bombarding you with messages to kill yourself is totally the secret master plan of everybody that happens to and not a completely idiotic idea that only morons believe.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well, he was dressed provocatively

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do fans in other mediums give a poo poo about reviews? Pretty sure movie reviews are seen as a novelty.

https://www.change.org/p/rotten-tomatoes-stop-disney-from-influencing-critics-on-mcu-bias

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I can't tell what's better, the update where the petition creator points out that Spy Kids 3D was rated higher than BvS as further proof of this conspiracy or the fact that he couldn't even get a full 1500 angry people who care way too much about this to sign off on it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am going to say having not seen batman v superman that Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over is a better movie than batman v superman

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/dc-fans-send-death-threats-to-2-critics-a140871

I'll stop now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, I'm sure having hordes of insane weirdos trying to hijack your Twitter and bombarding you with messages to kill yourself is totally the secret master plan of everybody that happens to and not a completely idiotic idea that only morons believe.

Anybody on twitter gets messages to kill themselves period, especially anybody famous. That's gonna happen period on the internet.

And I'm sure that the phrase "no such thing as bad publicity" is totally bogus and has never once remotely worked :v: I'm not saying he wants death threats, obviously, but it makes him stand out and his name is being said a lot when otherwise not many would care.

Fans period will argue about anything that disagrees with what they're fannish about.

Games are just especially prominent and noisy because games nerds and internet nerds overlap heavily.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Neogaf has review threads for basically every AAA game and they are always hilariously full of drama. I'm pretty sure the only reason Opencritic exists is upset videogame fans.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I remember pre-GTAV release when people were getiing upset about potential low reviews as a potential reaction to the overly positive GTA4 reviews.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Call me crazy but I think Jim Sterling actually has plenty of regular-grade attention already and that he didn't need to twirl his cartoon mustache before giving the new Zelda a 7/10 score in order to reap the massive benefits of people lining up to tell him to drink bleach.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

This game came out a couple days ago, looks like an interesting little puzzler. Anyone know about it?

Update on this:

Everything in the game snaps to a grid, until it decides to do poo poo like this. Also I got through 80% of the puzzles in 1 hour. Pass.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 13, 2017

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Finally got around to playing NieR Automata yesterday. This game is amazing.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I haven't played anything but the demo so far, but I love seeing people stumble into a Platinum Game via NieR. Can't wait for the PC release.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Was Platinum involved in the writing at all? I want to set my expectations of awesomeness at the right level when I finally play the game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah. he was interviewed by someone called destiny and melted down into ooze. you name a racist thing and he said it

i'm going to sleep but i hope everyone has a good night and also a good morning

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Was Platinum involved in the writing at all? I want to set my expectations of awesomeness at the right level when I finally play the game.

I don't think so off the top of my head but it's possible, the intent of the collaboration seems to have been to let Yoko Taro handle the writing and setting aspects while Platinum handled gameplay and Squeenix handled the production end. Fwiw Wikipedia only credits Yoko Taro under writers but of course that's going to be a truncated list.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The true ending of Nier Automata is genuinely one of the greatest video game endings I've ever seen.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I really wanted to take a few days off for NieR. But i'm going on vacation soon and would rather leave the pto days I have left for later in the year.
But i'm absolutely loving NieR so far.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
ironically some of the most savage taking down of jontron is coming from the jontron subreddit

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Kai Tave posted:

Call me crazy but I think Jim Sterling actually has plenty of regular-grade attention already and that he didn't need to twirl his cartoon mustache before giving the new Zelda a 7/10 score in order to reap the massive benefits of people lining up to tell him to drink bleach.

Yeah I mean god forbid that he actually just found the game alright and had a couple of really big faults to pick with it, as per the other 1000+ words of the review that didn't read "7/10"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am going to start a games review website. There will be one of five grades that games can get.

Gahh. (bad)
Gratifying. (fine)
Good. (good.)
Great. (really, really good.)
Greatest. (excellent fun and a favourite!)

It's going to be called 5Grade; Video Games Reviews video games. Or 5GVGRVG.net
I think you'll all appreciate this different approach.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I am going to start a games review website. There will be one of five grades that games can get.

Gahh. (bad)
Gratifying. (fine)
Good. (good.)
Great. (really, really good.)
Greatest. (excellent fun and a favourite!)

It's going to be called 5Grade; Video Games Reviews video games. Or 5GVGRVG.net
I think you'll all appreciate this different approach.

I'm still gonna throw a hissyfit if you grade my favorite game anything less than a Greatest, I promise you that. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Actually no game deserves a Greatest because that would mean it has literally no flaws, the most you should ever give is a Great.5

• Locked thread