Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

does it really have to be complex?

And yeah, games can often have as many writers, and there's some compartmentalization to be sure, but the issue is how this game was written. shin kobayashi submitted a script, then they rewrote that, then they rewrote that, then they came up with revelations and rewrote that. that much we know for certain, since kobayashi's talked about what was in his original script and what wasn't (hinoka didn't exist, for instance). And revelations is, without spoiling anything, very obviously an extremely late addition.

That makes a lot more sense, then - the original story coming from an outside source and then being iterated upon a bunch of times internally with the idea of having a third DLC campaign that the original writer never planned for explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also a thing that seems to be happening a lot is that people are skimping on the editing. You can have a huge team of writers but you need a good team of editors who make sure everything written fits together cohesively.

inthesto posted:

For promotions, I say do a thing where you promote the 100% keepers (i.e. Corrin, Oboro) and put up two or three for vote.

And definitely do the Steroid Redemption again. Vaike taking all the drugs and still getting benched will always be hilarious.

Regarding promotions, do this this is good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lord Corrin, could I have a moment of your time? There's a familiar face here to see you.
Lord Corrin, it's truly splendid to see you are doing well!
When word reached us that you had gone missing, I could not rest. Tracking nobles across dimensional barriers was a new item for my résumé... But I am undoubtedly richer for it.
Now that I am here, I would like to fight at your side.

Cool, Jacob's back randomly. And of course if this was a female Corrin run, Felicia would be back instead.

I built a Hot Spring cause I don't need to upgrade the rod shop yet. This is basically a funsies thing where you see wacky hijinks of characters talking and/or walking in on the opposite gender.

That's huge pool, goddamn

The team just accidentally keeps going deeper and deeper into Nohr territory. With apparently hundreds of troops or something?

It's been a while, lesse what ole murder king's been up to.

I am aware of that. It seems your trick with the explosives may be growing stale. Running out of ideas, are we?
My apologies, Your Majesty. I take full responsibility for this misstep. However, I assure you that I have more tricks up my sleeve. I'll redeem myself—you'll see!
I certainly hope so.
Yes...er...of course. I plan on ambushing Corrin and his troops shortly.
Do as you wish. But understand that this is the last failure I will tolerate.
Certainly, Your Majesty. *leaves*
Pitiful.

The guy can literally cast illusions that disguise civilians as enemies, how have you not used it more than once

Meanwhile....

Yes. I believe this place is known as Macarath. It's a town known for stage shows and gambling, much like Nestra. However, it seems as though the war has put a damper on business.
That's just as well. We don't have any time to waste. We should probably keep to the outskirts as much as possible.

You're telling me Nohr-Vegas is so poor that they just stop doing stuff? And abandon a huge city just like that? Talk about poor management.

Agreed.
*cough* *cough*
Takumi? Are you feeling OK?
Urgh... Yes, everything's fine...
You don't seem very steady on your feet. Perhaps we should rest.
No, really, I'm fine. *cough* *cough* Hurrrk...

The 3d models put in 2d stills does not exactly mesh well.

Takumi! Can you hear me?! Someone, help!
Oh no...how is this possible?
What is it, Sakura? What's wrong with him?
I...I think he has a rare fever that's specific to this region. Do you see these spots on his throat? They're one of the unique symptoms. It's extremely s-serious! He could die if we don't treat it immediately.
Gods... How could this have happened?
It's possible he contracted it from one of the wolfskin.

Don't tell me he's also got a wiff of the cooties

I'm s-sorry. I should've noticed his symptoms a lot earlier.
*cough* *cough* Don't worry, Sakura. It's not what you think it is. It'll probably just go away on its own.
Or...maybe Azura can try singing for me! Didn't that work before?
I'm sorry, Takumi, but my song isn't a miracle cure. It won't help with this.

If I remember correctly, there's and herb that can reduce the fever considerably. But I have no idea where to find any.
Hmm... The Palace Macarath should have a well-stocked apothecary.
But if it's a Nohrian palace, won't it be filled with...you know...Nohrians?
Yes, of course. However, I notice we haven't seen many people around so far. I think it's reasonable to assume the palace will not be fully staffed. Especially when King Garon isn't around.

Seriously, where is everyone in an entire city. Maybe Nohr is poor as hell because they're so wasteful?

Well, I can't think of a better idea. Let's check it out.
Very well. Follow me. My intelligence reports are highly detailed.
Will you be able to walk, Takumi?
Nnngh. Yes, as short way at least. Just put my bow in my hand if we run into any Nohrian scum. Even in this state, I'll take a few of 'em out with me.

Better than Setsuna still, I guess

*The crew arrives at the palace*

So this is one of Garon's palaces. It does seem oddly deserted.
We've been lucky so far. Garon wouldn't leave the place completely abandoned. We should remain on high alert.
Understood. Is everyone ready?
Yes. Now, let's not dawdle as we enter the palace. There may be roving guards. Let's move one three. One...two...
Three!
Come on, everyone!

*The group runs around for a while*

It looks like we have company. Brace yourselves and be ready for anything.
Garon could have left a monster waiting for us. Or a trap. Or...

...Flora?!

Hey girl, how's been hanging?

Lord Corrin?
What are you doing here?!
Sister!
Why are all of YOU here? This is super dangerous!
There's an unused room nearby—let's get out of here and talk.

It's amusing because they all ninja run.

*A moment later*

All right. We should be safe here for a while. It's so good to see you again, Lord Corrin!
You too, Flora. I miss everyone from Nohr.
Except King Garon, of course.

That includes Iago and Hans, dude

Anyway, what are you doing here?
After you left, everyone in the Northern Fortress was sent away. I got my orders to come here, and that was it.
I'm so sorry. I know my decision impacted a lot of people.
It's OK. I'm actually happy to be here. Your decision really opened my eyes to what was going on.
Now I'm just glad I don't have to see King Garon every day...
I see. I'm glad to hear it, Flora.
So...how did the rest of you end up here?

Oh right, the dying thing.

Can you help us?
Yes, of course. Nobody works at the apothecary anymore, but it's fully stocked. I'm sure I can sneak out whatever you need.

What do you mean, "nobody works at the medicine stores?" According to what they've seen, Flora is the only one in the entire palace.

You'd do that for us?
Of course! Any friend of Lord Corrin's is a friend of mine. After I get the medicine, I'll show you how to sneak out the back door of the palace.
Thank you, Flora. You may be saving my brother's life.

*Someone teleports in*

Hello, Corrin. Happy to see me again?
What do you want? You're massively outnumbered here.
Oh ho! So quickly you begin speaking of battle. Where's the witty banter? One mustn't leap straight into battle without a little banter. It's uncivilized!

Corrin had witty banter? Or any banter?

Also, as usual, you're badly misinformed. You're the one who's outnumbered.
How did you know we were here? Were you the one who attacked the hideout in Cheve?

What are you saying?
Ah, dearest Flora. I didn't realize you were here. Kicked out of Garon's inner circle, were you?
I don't have anything to say to you.
Ooh, saucy! I like it. Maybe I'll kill you last.
Iago, I'm ordering you to leave at once! I am an official employee of this palace, and you are NOT. Remember, this is King Garon's royal villa. What would he say about you destroying it with a battle?

Is she really using Bouncer rules to kick out a teleporter?

Oh, you're so wrong. I can do anything, as long as I get results.

Eyaaaahh!
That's for talking back. Now, who's next? You'll all bend the knee before I'm finished.

(Iago readies another spell)

Alright, just kill him already.

No! Flora!
She's just taking a little nap.
Now. I'm feeling all bantered out. Let's get down to business.
You'll pay for this, Iago.
Wonderful. A pithy final statement from our hero. Unfortunately this is no fairy tale, Prince Corrin.
King Garon would like your head on a platter, and I'm not one to disappoint him.

It's been a long while since we started in a building battle. Troops already surround the team, but that's fine.

STATS here: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=146977

Bench 4 units, Takumi's out due to plot reasons: http://www.strawpoll.me/12519251

Units Joined

Class sets: Starts as Butler (Troubadour), Cavalier
PSkill: Evasive Partner-If the Avatar is the lead unit, Avatar’s Avoid +15, damage received -3

Growth Rates
HP: 50
STR: 40
MAG: 25
SKL: 55
SPD: 50
LCK: 55
DEF: 30
RES: 35

While Felicia is more of a natural magical and speedy nuke, Jakob is a physical fighter that's in the wrong class. His natural growths beg to be reclassed as a Paladin/Great Knight. His PSkill is also more protective for Corrin, forgoing extra damage for more damage prevention and excellent avoid in exchange.

Tae fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 13, 2017

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Your Kaze's HP is second only to Oboro and Azama among the unpromoted guys.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I think a steroid redemption for Setsuna or the meathead guy would be cool.

I'm also glad a major city is totally abandoned. It's too bad it's Sunday or those buildings would've been filled with people.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Steroid Redemption for Hyato. Class him over to Oni Savage. :black101:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Jakob - While he's got pretty good Strength growth, he just doesn't quite have the durability to be a proper front-liner; similarly, while he has better Magic growth than most physical units, he doesn't have enough to actually fight that way. However, it's certainly enough to make him a competent healer, which combines with his Strength and relative frailty to mean that his ideal class is probably the one he starts in. Also, like Felicia, he's a prepromote who levels like an unpromoted unit, with a correspondingly high level cap. As a character... well, I'm not too fond of him, really; I'd go into detail, but I think I'll let his supports explain instead.

By the way, my new run? Weird growths all over the place. I mean, it's true that I'm grinding in Challenges, unlike this LP, so I'm significantly higher level than Tae with significantly less story progress (I blame admittedly-inefficient support grinding mostly), but that doesn't explain some of the characters I'm winding up with. I mean, a level 28 Felicia with 13 Strength?! I know that's 27 levels' worth of potential stat gains, but hitting Strength 8 times by then is a bit above the curve, I'd say. Unfortunately, my Kaze is trash due to having a mere 8 Strength at level 19 (that's 1 point of growth from his base, for those of you who don't remember), and I have no idea how I managed to wind up with a level 22 Azura who only has 13 Strength, but I've got plenty of good units to compensate (completely aside from Azura's non-combat utility).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

BrightWing posted:

Seconding this because I just realized it means Hayato's tiny wizard nerdlet head on giant swole oni savage body.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also a thing that seems to be happening a lot is that people are skimping on the editing. You can have a huge team of writers but you need a good team of editors who make sure everything written fits together cohesively.
I will never understand how people place the blame for bad writing in any medium solely at the feet of the writer and never once consider the editor as needing to bear some of the blame. Fates is a perfect example of what happens when a messy script arrives in the hands of editors who fail at their job. Hell, in some places the bad editing comes dangerously close to appearing as being done on purpose, like the editors just wanted a quick paycheck and only put in the minimal amount of effort in their work.

BrightWing posted:

I secondthird this option. If only to see an Oni Chieftain work beyond just a random generic enemy to face in combat.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Chapter 15 Jakob is... kind of useless. He's a poor staffer compared with the other staffers you have at this point like Felicia, Sakura or Azama and a mediocre combat unit even if reclassed to Paladin at this point due to his poor bases. Felicia is much better off joining at Chapter 15 than he is because she has good staffing stats and comes with the weapon rank and stats to use the Flame Shuriken right away. Jakob wants to join early to abuse fast skill inheritance from Paladin and ideally, from a marriage inherited Wyvern Rider or Ninja class via Corrin .

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AradoBalanga posted:

I will never understand how people place the blame for bad writing in any medium solely at the feet of the writer and never once consider the editor as needing to bear some of the blame.

Sometimes it's because Writer and Editor are one and the same :v: (This should only be done as a last resort. Proper self editing takes longer than having someone else do the editing.)

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

If you think the Kaze story scene was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And that's not even getting to Conquest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

If you think the Kaze story scene was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And that's not even getting to Conquest.

Honestly I think the gameplay fuckery actually does make this the worst thing across all three games.

E: Really not intending to start an argument about this as there's a lot left to cover but this is pretty dire

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

does it really have to be complex?

And yeah, games can often have as many writers, and there's some compartmentalization to be sure, but the issue is how this game was written. shin kobayashi submitted a script, then they rewrote that, then they rewrote that, then they came up with revelations and rewrote that. that much we know for certain, since kobayashi's talked about what was in his original script and what wasn't (hinoka didn't exist, for instance). And revelations is, without spoiling anything, very obviously an extremely late addition.

Revelations and the supports were also all written out of house with no communication during the writing, far as I can tell. Which... does not do good things for coherence.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Is the writing (in general, that is) as bad in the Japanese version?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Junpei posted:

Well, there's certainly controversial stuff in the Japanese version (at least some of which was censored in the localization), but beyond that I don't know since I can't read much Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

The overall plot is just as much of a mess, naturally, but the dialogue is a little better? Characters have more of a distinct voice and supports flow a little more conversationally. The supports themselves still go over the same topics, though, so I wouldn't really call those 'better' either, with a few exceptions in Conquest. And the 'distinct' voices are still pretty much jrpg tropes 101, you could find a thousand characters that talk the way, say, JP Ryoma does, but he at least stands out a little more in terms of word choice and how he speaks compared to other characters in the same game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
From what I've heard, Soleil was written worse in JP.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

"takumismile: Or...maybe Azura"

There's a broken portrait here!

Aside from cohesion with 20 writers and editing, would another issue be with the writing being rushed in general or did they do it over a long period of time?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
See, if the whole game had dialogue like this, we'd be much better off.

Also, I want to see some Steroid Redemption, as well as some of the DLC classes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

Groovy!

We can't exactly skip out.

How do you know that?!

You have a very distinctive presence.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

How do you know that?!

You know, it's not like your training's some big secret... I mean, I'm pretty sure you brag about it to anyone who asks.

Tae posted:

You have a very distinctive presence.

Maybe Saizo should've stuck around a bit, at least long enough to find out if she wanted to send a response. Incidentally, it's entirely possible to get this support while Ryoma is still AWOL, which creates interesting issues.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkah, Orochi, Ryoma, and Jakob will sit out this next battle.

--------------------------

C Support

No one has ever thought of you as an inconvenience!

Why must people always try to one-up each other?

But, Lady Hinoka, the whole reason you have retainers is to rely on them.

After all, just a moment ago you popped up and scared me so bad I peed a little.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Tae posted:

No one has ever thought of you as an inconvenience!

...Where the hell did Sakura even get that idea? I mean, she's got great stats in-game, and in-story she's one of the primary healers.

Tae posted:

Why must people always try to one-up each other?

Kinda like this one, if only because it's professional competition instead of "Hayato's so childish, look at this childish trait he's got!"

Tae posted:

But, Lady Hinoka, the whole reason you have retainers is to rely on them.

...Hinoka. Rely on her retainers. Are we talking about the same idiots here? I mean, I can't say about Azama on the occasions that you can get him properly motivated, but Setsuna is probably kind of an active hindrance.

Tae posted:

After all, just a moment ago you popped up and scared me so bad I peed a little.

Takumi needs deodorant. And probably a bath.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

CptWedgie posted:

...Where the hell did Sakura even get that idea? I mean, she's got great stats in-game, and in-story she's one of the primary healers.

She's a shy, demure feudal Japanese lady archetype character. So she feels like she's being a burden on all the people who do the fighting because she's not actively fighting herself. It just straight up doesn't occur to her that her saving people's lives is going to have a longer lasting impact on the outcome of the war than if she were out there stabbing people to death with a spear like her sister. So since she's convinced that she can't fight, she tries to find other ways to help "ease the burden" that she thinks she's creating.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Orochi, Ryoma, and newcomer Jakob are out for this crowded map. The game's now at a point where promoted enemies start showing up as more than just bosses.

Kagero and Silas take care of the immediate knights in the middle to get rid of their pair-up status, while Oboro goes north to distract the Hero there.

Meanwhile, Kaden and Corrin take care of the bottom Knights with help from anti-armor dual attacks edging out.

Man, you are doing everything in your power to avoid hitting defense

Mini-Bow is a weird weapon where it's 7 mt and it's only 1 range. It's a weird weapon for bow users to have because you don't want them defensively tanking.

Gotta be careful with the middle, because the Outlaws will open the doors for their allies and let in a barrage of Dark Mages to hit your face. They're all carrying Fimbulvetr aka steel tomes.

Also the map is kind of a timer with Outlaws looting chests but like the last time, they go in very friendly paths that end in backing into the team if they want to retreat.

Felicia, I think you might be too powerful for Birthright. Especially this mission.

Silas has been an underrated glue part of the team, and and I missed having a bulky sword guy since Ryoma never sees the light of day and Corrin is...Corrin.

Oboro having Orochi-tier resistance is going to be key for taking on the variety of physical attackers while surviving all the mages.

Yeah I know, breaking news: Oboro is the key to 80% of my plans.

A series of battles led to Azama blocking for Silas, netting a pretty nice level for him. He's pretty close to being one of the best physical tanks if he wasn't locked to bows.

Double princess Sky Knights clear the cluster in the middle, with some dominating resistance along the way.

After many, many missions, Kaze's role as an anti-mage finally comes into fruition with his high resistance and speed letting him take on a hoard of mages.

You know, assuming Felicia is too busy. By the way, Silas picked up 3k off his victim's corpse.

Kaden's niche as a Cavalier killer is hurt a bit by one of the maps period without any horses, but he's still speedy and hits hard. 3k and a Silence Staff fall off the Outlaw.

Silas and Azama will handle the new reinforcements that appeared in the bottom room, while the rest continue up north through the maze of a palace. Side-note, Azama can now use D rank bows which means forged Iron Bows.

Felicia literally cannot be beaten by mages.

Yes, there's actual enemy Maids that are ambushing. It's a real dangerous class as you know by now, especially when the enemy don't care about their stats and just throw Silver Daggers willy-nilly.

Fortunately Hinoka's resistance is so high that even with a -4 debuff, she's bouncing off enemy spells like it's nothing. And consider that Mozu currently has the other Guard Naginata. That's just pure Hinoka.

Hino's been picking back up to her strong ways. Was getting worried there for a sec.

There's pros and cons of being the only real sword user.

Pros: You get all the swords
Cons: You don't have enough slots for all the swords

Kaze is busy getting a Goddess Icon before catching up with the party.

Sakura is the first to reach level 20 after healing constantly. She actually has decent strength, but you can't really ignore that 20+ magic score.

Scarlet teams up with Mozu to take out the lone Strategist on the map. Ragnorak is a really scary silver-type tome, but thankfully the only real magic threat other than Iago at this point.

I have a major problem where a bulky fighter is backed up by two hard hitting mages. Oh, just send Felicia. Her victim drops a Great Club, so I guess I can forge one for Scarlet.

The irony that a Maid is by far the toughest kill and lasted the most combat encounters. Maids, man

Sakura can promote into two very different classes. Priestess gives more stats overall and gives access to bows, but Onmyoji gives access to Scrolls. And considering that there's probably literally zero scroll users in the immediate future, Sakura can be an excellent support attacker with spells.

Now Sakura is bonafied murder certified!

Kagero randomly counter-killed a mage for double level-ups. Kagero gained HP again, somehow.

Dual sky princess once again eliminate some reinforcement mages, as the rest of the party pushes through Iago's ultimate weapon which we'll see in a bit.

Felicia, slow down

The magic cannons Iago has behind his walls kinda suck. Basically the only unit that's taking any decent damage is Scarlet unpaired and it doesn't help that the turret is fairly inaccurate.

More Outlaw reinforcements, more EXP for randoms to get levels.

Like Kaze!

Congrats, Sakura! You're murderer!

Interesting that Corrin's critical is basically an Aether. The Outlaw drops 13k gold total.

Kaden takes care of the last enemy, getting 3k and an Arms Scroll. Payday today, all day

Lesse here. Iago's weapon is Ginnungagap-A rank, 15 mt, 65 hit, and halves Magic until the next attack.

I have no idea why he has Bowbreaker, especially in a mission when you literally can't play Takumi.

Corrin vs. Iago

And here we are, at last. I've been waiting for you.
I'm done talking. It's time to finish this.
Oh, I agree. HAH!

So scary, Mr. Iago

And Kaze gets the glory.

Class Overview: Onmyoji, Great Master/Priestess

Onmyoji

Pair-up Bonus: +4 MAG/SPD
Weapon rank: Tomes (A), Staves (B)

Skills: (lvl 5) Rally Magic-Magic +4 to all allies within a 2 tile radius for one Turn when the “Rally” command is used
(lvl 15) Tomefaire-When user is equipped with a Tome, damage +5 during battle

The upgrade to Diviners and healers, Onmyoji may not S rank in Tomes but they get a great skill in return in Tomefaire. Tomes and Staves is solid enough, but they also give a solid speed boost in a pinch, especially useful for Silas when he does Shelter.

Great Master/Priestess

Pair-up Bonus: +3 MAG/RES, +2 LCK
Weapon rank: Bows (B), Staves (A)

Skills: (lvl 5) Renewal-Recover 30% HP at the start of the user’s Turn
(lvl 15) Countermagic-When the enemy triggers the battle and inflicts magical damage, the enemy receives the same damage

Priestess is more about filling a hole in your weapon variety if Takumi is your only bow user, as Sakura and Azama can more than handle the bonus strength that promoting to this class gives. At worst, they're useful for taking a strategic hit and Renewal fills up without worry but you're really just being this class for a healing bow user.

Edit: males get lances instead of bows, I forgot fates randomly genderfied the weapon selection.

Tae fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 14, 2017

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I know that was basically just the Priestess profile, but since you mentioned it in the title... Great Masters use Lances instead of Bows. Ordinarily that'd make them much better, but this is Fates. :v: Priestess Sakura's always been a powerhouse for me.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I do not understand why Great Masters get lances on promotion instead of bows like Priestesses, because despite everyone being able to be any normal class, IntSys still threw in a weird gender-specific split with weapons and it's only with this class. Countermagic is a nifty skill to have, though. It can make mages or anyone with a magic-based weapon like the Flame Shuriken rethink their strategy because the skill works regardless of range, unlike Counter which only works at close range.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Kaze gained defense again on both of his levels in that chapter. :psyduck:

I think maybe he stole Corrin's boon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Lances are much preferred for Great Masters though, their durability is actually pretty good especially coupled with Renewal so they don't mind being in the frontlines. Azama being perfect at the job pretty much cements it.

Priestesses are a bit more eh, but the high Mt of Yumi helps to patch it up a little.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Renewal is pretty awesome, too; it greatly reduces reliance on healers when you just regenerate 30% every turn, no strings attached.

I think the Great Master class is based on sohei (basically Japanese warrior monks) since the weapon most associated with them is, yes, the naginata. I wouldn't be surprised if elements of sohei made their way into Azama, too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No one's answering why iago has bowbreaker

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Priestesses are a bit more eh, but the high Mt of Yumi helps to patch it up a little.
Priestesses are loving insanely good if you can get your hands on the bow equivalent of the Flame Shuriken (which uses Mag instead of Str), but I don't think it's available in Birthright.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Priestesses are loving insanely good if you can get your hands on the bow equivalent of the Flame Shuriken (which uses Mag instead of Str), but I don't think it's available in Birthright.

It isn't. It's not a Yumi, it's a Bow (as in the Nohrian weapon, not the weapon type as a whole).

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

The Shining Bow is CQ/Rev only, yeah, which is annoying because IIRC you don't get any Priestesses in Conquest. Even with it though, Sakura is better off as an Onmyoji. Bows are the hardest weapon to get weapon rank up in because of their poor enemy phase, as opposed to Tomes which let you use her good Mag stat from the beginning, and Rally Magic is a better skill for a healer/support unit than the Priestess ones. Arms Scrolls are limited and I think there's better uses for them than a Sakura Shining Bow.

Renewal is a sweet skill that desperately wishes it were on a better or easier to access combat class. I believe only Sakura, Azama and Hana have access to it without Partner/Friendship seals. It's cool on Azama, but it'd be even better if the Ninja or Ryoma could get it easier.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tae posted:

Because he's a Sorcerer; Sorcerers get Bowbreaker in Fates because all the -breaker skills are on classes that are already strong against that weapon type in the weapon triangle.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Tae posted:

I guess If you trained up Setsuna or switched Mozu over to an archer it would really cement his advantage?

That or what Fits said. Either or.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Technically, it is available to Birthright via the rare weapons DLC map or via the Battle Points rewards. Outside of those two areas, then no, the Shining Bow is not available through chests/enemy drops.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I actually had this weird theory as for why Priestess's got Bows to use. Basically, it was that someone on the dev team was replaying Geneaology of the Holy War, looked at Aideen and Lana, and thought "Hey! Wouldn't it be cool if they could actually put their Minor Ulir blood to use by giving them Bows on promotion?". I thought the same thing had happened with Patty and Outlaws as well.

I'm probably wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Tae posted:

Most likely because its a Sorcerer's skill. Why does he have it earlier than he should? Perhaps he bought the skill the same way you can for your units.

As for weapons on Great Master vs Priestess, it's basically a wash. Great Masters can use the Guard Naginata, which helps make them enemy phase focused, and they have easy access to their Magic Weapon in Birthright, so they can even take advantage of decent 1-2 range. Meanwhile, Yumi have high enough Mt that a Priestess can contribute meaningfully on Player Phase, which is fine seeing as Sakura is a little less bulky than Azama.

• Locked thread