Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
To many pollies have too much skin in the housing investment game to see these corrupt fucks change negative gearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

starkebn posted:

To many pollies have too much skin in the housing investment game to see these corrupt fucks change negative gearing

This is 2014 but the point still stands.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Removing negative gearing would not lower house prices but also simultaneously crash the housing market

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Removing negative gearing would not lower house prices but also simultaneously crash the housing market

Umberto Eco posted:

The enemy is both strong and weak. “By a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak.”

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
anyone have the stats on the number of jobs vacancies for each unemployed person in the country? I'd like to school someone who thinks it is just a case of lazy millennials refusing to work

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gay picnic defence posted:

anyone have the stats on the number of jobs vacancies for each unemployed person in the country? I'd like to school someone who thinks it is just a case of lazy millennials refusing to work

Depends on who you ask - in 2015 Grog said there was about 6 unemployed for each vacancy - https://www.theguardian.com/busines...s-tough-as-ever

But if you count 'underemployed' it may be more like 20 http://unemployedworkersunion.com/job-seekers-v-job-vacancy-data/

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Someone who thinks like that probably isn't going to be convinced by statistics, but here's a chart with links to the data. http://unemployedworkersunion.com/job-seekers-v-job-vacancy-data/

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Anidav posted:

Oh man. I LOVE Coopers Extra Stout

Tipplers Tap will show you some new dark beers.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Bogan King posted:

This is 2014 but the point still stands.

And that's just the ones they remembered they had!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo libs are still defending the preference deal. :allears:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Holy poo poo libs are still defending the preference deal. :allears:

ScoMo has at least come out and said it won't happen at the federal level (so look forward to the Nats getting proper hosed when it does).

------------------

https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/841104840386273280

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wait what's wrong with Cooper's? They support a religious thing?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

JBP posted:

Wait what's wrong with Cooper's? They support a religious thing?

They sponsored a Liberal anti-ssm debate thing and brought out a custom can for a hard right Christian group.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
https://twitter.com/michaelkoziol/status/841081697898717184

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why is this news?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

bowmore posted:

Why is this news?

It's not, its a feature length article for a tv show dressed up as news.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Can we go back to Scott Morrison suggesting that moving to Tamworth constitutes an improvement in quality of life?
Like, compared to what?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

cohsae posted:

Can we go back to Scott Morrison suggesting that moving to Tamworth constitutes an improvement in quality of life?
Like, compared to what?

Well there's no jobs so you get to bludge on the dole and there's heaps of Ice so there's plenty of entertainment too.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Lol. Gotta love newspaper slapfights https://thewest.com.au/politics/state-election-2017/national-newspaper-out-of-touch-with-wa-ng-b88412734z

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nice, good to see someone in the media finally calling that poo poo rag out.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The West really isn't much better than the Australian. They're a little less overtly racist but their owner is still the single biggest Liberal donor in the country, and it sure does show.

Oh and they're the only major paper in town anymore, since Murdoch sold them the Sunday Times last year.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Don Dongington posted:

The West really isn't much better than the Australian. They're a little less overtly racist but their owner is still the single biggest Liberal donor in the country, and it sure does show.
They both seem to be wildly out of touch with the bulk of the populace and run their own weird little campaigns (eg 18C for the Australian, shark culling for the West Australian)

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

cohsae posted:

Like, compared to what?
Surprised his example wasn't Armidale.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Cartoon posted:

Surprised his example wasn't Armidale.

He did use Joyce forcing the dept move as a great example of how there are jobs in regional Australia.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Mr Chips posted:

They both seem to be wildly out of touch with the bulk of the populace and run their own weird little campaigns (eg 18C for the Australian, shark culling for the West Australian)

I feel like they don't even operate under the pretense of being there as a relevant, impartial news source anymore - They exist to confirm conservative biases and they seem pretty happy with that.

Which would be fine if there were print alternatives like there are in other cities but welp

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The cap gains discount is the main driver of the whole problem and is a perfectly sensible thing to reduce or eliminate. I don't know why people are trying to downplay it, outside of thoroughly reasonable skepticism that they'd do it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The cap gains discount is the main driver of the whole problem and is a perfectly sensible thing to reduce or eliminate. I don't know why people are trying to downplay it, outside of thoroughly reasonable skepticism that they'd do it.

I would also enjoy it if they changed negative gearing so that the discount only applies to the income stream that generated the loss. So you cant go "Im losing $10k on my mortgage, time to apply that to my salary" but you can go "im losing $10k on my mortgage, I can use that to offset repairs to the property"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

NPR Journalizard posted:

I would also enjoy it if they changed negative gearing so that the discount only applies to the income stream that generated the loss. So you cant go "Im losing $10k on my mortgage, time to apply that to my salary" but you can go "im losing $10k on my mortgage, I can use that to offset repairs to the property"

That kind of change is definitely worth considering (and is done in some other countries from what I understand).

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

NPR Journalizard posted:

So you basically want to get rid of negative gearing. That is literally the whole thing!

Also repairs are already deductible with capital improvements being depreciated

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Sydney Morning Homosexual posted:

enior public servants from the Department of Human Services have told a Senate Estimates Committee that smartphone apps were adding to the phone call headaches with clients using technology to hit the lines with hundreds of calls.

The number of calls blocked, those not allowed into the queuing system when it is handling large volumes, has grown from 13 million in 2013-2014, to more than 22 million in 2014-2015.

The agency and its parent department came under sustained criticism this year after an National Audit Office report found nearly a quarter of the 57 million phone calls made to Centrelink last year went unanswered and that Australians spent 143 years waiting in vain to speak to Centrelink in 2013-2014, before simply hanging up, the auditors calculated.

Under questioning from Greens Senator Rachel Siewert at a late-night hearing on Thursday, senior DHS official Grant Tidswell said the decision on how many calls to block was a trade-off between the demand for service and the department's ability to provide it.

"It's always a trade-off…trying to manage the workload and demand and the challenge between demand and supply, but in previous years we've had far, far higher numbers, well over 30 million," the public servant told the committee.

But it was the emerging "redial" app technology that was really adding to DHS's well-documented telephone woes, Mr Tidswell said.

"Some people have got an application that they can get on their smartphone and it'll just keep pinging and pinging and pinging, so some people use it," he said.

"Some people use it to get concert tickets and win prizes and we're getting people upwards of 800 to 1000 times at that time so we are battling new technology with people doing that at peak demand times.

Centrelink can't handle demand for service so are cutting people off for using tools to help them get in contact with the service. :thumbsup:

This is not a user error here you fucksticks, it's your inability to manage the service. The way this is run should be a massive black mark on the CV of anyone involved, your career should be tainted by it and that stink should follow you until the end of days.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bogan King posted:

Calling it now, the FIRST person to have this law used on them if it is passed will be in a burka and the racist shitbag of a cop will try to justify it using this law.

quote:

The new laws will also give police specific powers to order people to remove a face mask.

"It will be an offence to not comply," Mr Pakula said.

"The Government believes it's important to create a powerful disincentive for people to turn up at these types of public events with face coverings on.

"It will be clear in the legislation that we're only talking about face coverings where the police believe you're wearing it for the purpose of concealing your identity, or for the purpose of protecting yourself against the impact of capsicum spray and the like."

I have had a vision of the future.

In it a police officer is pointing capsicum spray directly at a person's eyes, but they have a mask on. "Take off your loving mask so I can spray you in the eyes!" screams the cop.

"No, you'll blind me!" responds the person. "Fifteen years in the isocube, creep!" replies Judge Dredd the cop.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
RE- Negative gearing

Just applying the standard ATO "non-commercial loss" provisions:

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/non-commercial-losses/

quote:

You can't claim a loss for a business that is little more than a hobby or lifestyle choice. Even if it has business-like characteristics, if it is unlikely to ever make a profit and doesn't have a significant commercial purpose or character, you can't offset the loss against your other income. In this case, you can defer the loss until you make a profit from the business. This applies whether your business loss from an Australian or a foreign source.

You can only claim losses from genuine business activities. You can't offset losses from hobbies or investments.

Seems to already rule out negative gearing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/841113896853282816/pu/vid/178x320/U8lOQw0aNeOpUCZD.mp4

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/spagnolojoe/status/840782783928664064

Noice

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

As long as it wasn't coopers anyway

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Cartoon posted:

RE- Negative gearing

Just applying the standard ATO "non-commercial loss" provisions:

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/non-commercial-losses/

Seems to already rule out negative gearing.

Rental income is passive not business so those provisions don't stop negative gearing

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

New FDotM

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bogan King posted:

Centrelink can't handle demand for service so are cutting people off for using tools to help them get in contact with the service. :thumbsup:

This is not a user error here you fucksticks, it's your inability to manage the service. The way this is run should be a massive black mark on the CV of anyone involved, your career should be tainted by it and that stink should follow you until the end of days.

Don't worry, it will be fixed.

With more Centrelink job cuts.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-13/man-fined-after-pleading-guilty-to-filming-quokka-attack/8349474

quote:

She said since the incident James has suffered "intense social criticism", threats to his own safety and had lost his job because his employer could not guarantee his safety.

James was fined $3,500 and his request for a spent conviction was denied.

Suck poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

• Locked thread