Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah I've tried several times with refillable plastic ones and I've never really found them to have any advantage over re-using a Dasani bottle for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Any recommendations on a packable daypack?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 14, 2017

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

REI Flash 18

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Saladman posted:

Yeah I've tried several times with refillable plastic ones and I've never really found them to have any advantage over re-using a Dasani bottle for months.

I agree. People who spend $30 on an empty water bottle seem gullible when you can pay $1 for a full water bottle.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

I agree. People who spend $30 on an empty water bottle seem gullible when you can pay $1 for a full water bottle.

Who pays $30? A nalgene is $10 on amazon and less if you find a sale. They last longer than 10 dasani bottles.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Leviathan Song posted:

Who pays $30? A nalgene is $10 on amazon and less if you find a sale. They last longer than 10 dasani bottles.

If you don't lose it. I've lost a few over the years.

I use a smartwater bottle because it's super skinny and slides into packs easily. I might buy a few a year, when I don't have a choice but usually just grab one out of recycling.

Looking online it looks like the energy to make a Nalgene is 3-4 time more than a disposable.

It's kind of a wash depending on how long a bottle lasts you and if you reuse bottles that would be bound for the landfill anyway.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

I'm looking for a shoe that will keep my feet reasonably happy after a day of pounding pavement or cobblestones in the city, but still look decent for going out to a nice restaurant for dinner. I've previously worn desert boots during my travels, (both Clarks and Allen Edmonds) and being leather or suede they look alright, but killed my feet at the end of the day. I'd love something more comfortable, but don't want anything that looks too much like I'm headed to the gym. I feel like I've been looking for a shoe like this for years with no luck, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any suggestions?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I got two pairs of Rockports a few years ago and one of them is still my daily driver. The other is also still in great condition, they're just a tad dressier so I save them for those kinds of occasions.

so yeah, Rockports are v. good. They are also excellent for nurses and so on.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've had good luck with Ecco, I have a pair of these in black I've done 15+ mile days in.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I got an achilles strain after running to catch a ghost tour in York wearing some Docker Pimlicos. I had been doing half marathons at least everyday for a week at that point and I guess that was the last straw.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
That must have been some pretty spirited running then eh? Eeehhhhhh?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

qirex posted:

I've had good luck with Ecco, I have a pair of these in black I've done 15+ mile days in.

How's the bottom on those? My Clark's desert boots are a death trap anytime there's rain or ice.

Edit: I've found that Superfeet make all the difference in a chukka boot for me in how long I can wear them.

Double Edit: Just noticed those are GTX. Ugh, how do your feet do in 70F+ environments?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 31, 2017

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

Edit: I've found that Superfeet make all the difference in a chukka boot for me in how long I can wear them.

Maybe I just need to find a decent insole. I tried some cheap stuff from Target, but it somehow just made things worse.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Blinkman987 posted:

How's the bottom on those? My Clark's desert boots are a death trap anytime there's rain or ice.

Double Edit: Just noticed those are GTX. Ugh, how do your feet do in 70F+ environments?

I haven't worn them on ice but they're OK in rain. I've worn them in reasonably hot weather and they did fine but I'm not someone who regularly has problems with my feel feeling hot. Besides, the 0.2 mm of gore-tex isn't the insulator it's the leather. They use that same last in a lot of different models though. I also have a pair of dress shoes from them I use for business travel that I haven't put as many miles on but they're still really comfortable.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Two broken suitcase questions:

1) I have a carry-on that has an extendable handle. The handle has a little button atop it that allows you to pull the handle up or down. The button part has malfunctioned and now the handle won't (easily) go up and down. (You can get into the innards of the suitcase and make the handle go up and down, but this is a total pain in the rear end.) . Do normal people just throw away a suitcase at this point? It seems so wasteful, but fixing it seems like a huge pain in the rear end.

2) I have a much nicer checked suitcase that Delta saw fit to break 2 of the 4 wheels off of during a flight a few years back. They called it reasonable wear and tear. It is a Costco Kirkland 26(ish) inch bag. Same question: this seems like a piddly thing to throw away and buy a new bag for, but there is no apparent way to replace wheels on it. Can this be fixed?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luggage repair shops exist, I'd imagine they're not super common but I've seen them.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does either company have a return policy? I know some companies have an unlimited returns policy for if something breaks on their [whatever] they'll send you a new one. No idea what they do with the old ones though. Probably they toss them straight in the garbage, so if you're worried about waste that won't really help any.

Otherwise maybe you could give them away on Craiglist/your-cities-local-facebook-group. Often people want semi-broken stuff for whatever niche reason.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

qirex posted:

Luggage repair shops exist, I'd imagine they're not super common but I've seen them.

Try shoe shine/repair/key cutters. You used to be able to find them in shopping centres (depending on where you live).

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

photomikey posted:

Two broken suitcase questions:

1) I have a carry-on that has an extendable handle. The handle has a little button atop it that allows you to pull the handle up or down. The button part has malfunctioned and now the handle won't (easily) go up and down. (You can get into the innards of the suitcase and make the handle go up and down, but this is a total pain in the rear end.) . Do normal people just throw away a suitcase at this point? It seems so wasteful, but fixing it seems like a huge pain in the rear end.

2) I have a much nicer checked suitcase that Delta saw fit to break 2 of the 4 wheels off of during a flight a few years back. They called it reasonable wear and tear. It is a Costco Kirkland 26(ish) inch bag. Same question: this seems like a piddly thing to throw away and buy a new bag for, but there is no apparent way to replace wheels on it. Can this be fixed?

1) Throw that poo poo away, no luggage repair shop will bother with fiddly plastic/metal parts on suitcases. They'd repair zippers and maybe wheels, but won't mess with other stuff.

2) This one's easy. Just go back to Costco and return it for a new one.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

rhombus posted:

I'm looking for a shoe that will keep my feet reasonably happy after a day of pounding pavement or cobblestones in the city, but still look decent for going out to a nice restaurant for dinner. I've previously worn desert boots during my travels, (both Clarks and Allen Edmonds) and being leather or suede they look alright, but killed my feet at the end of the day. I'd love something more comfortable, but don't want anything that looks too much like I'm headed to the gym. I feel like I've been looking for a shoe like this for years with no luck, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any suggestions?

I'm partial to blundstones. Some models look like a slightly chunky chelsea boot and they can take a beating.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My gf and I are going to Italy for 10 days and we ordered a 40L G4Freebackpack and an Outdoor Master 50L off amazon....they were like $20 and 36$ respectively. For 10 days of not hiking and poo poo are these ok? I was originally leaning toward a Kelty Redwing 50L but they were like 100$ and she was bitching at me about how much it was when amazon had cheaper stuff. I'm a bit worried, but just for getting from Cologne to Rome for 10 days and back...should be ok?

Regarding sleeveless t-shirts and the athletic shoes, is it really a bad idea to wear them? The sleeveless I was planning on wearing around Amalfi for walking between the towns and I was going to wear black nike athletic shoes to pretty much everything while bringing a decent pair of dress shoes to wear with jeans at night.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I've never heard of those backpacks, but putting the Amazon reviews through FakeSpot and they seem to be genuine reviews. It'll probably last one trip so I wouldn't worry about it. My suggestion would be to check out potential points of failure like zippers and thin compartments and try to see if they'll hold up. If not, return them to Amazon. Just don't overpack them, I guess.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Question for experienced travelers:

I'm going to Europe (Paris and Copenhagen, with a day layover in Reykjavik) for a couple of weeks next year. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis (I'm not ancient, just an unlucky guy in his 30s,) and have to take a shot of Enbrel once every seven days or I become a loving mess who can't walk very long without severe pain. So I'll need to take, at minimum, one shot of Enbrel in the middle of this trip.

Enbrel comes in pre-filled syringes and needs to be refrigerated. I'll be Air B&B-ing except for the night in Reykjavik, so I'm not worried about storing it while in Europe because there should be refrigerators. What do you recommend for the long flight to Iceland from Seattle? A separate, checked-bag with some ice packs or something? I'm assuming carrying this thing on would be impossible.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I haven't done this myself but I know that prescription medications are exempt from normal carry-on rules. I'm sure there's people who travel with Epi-pens and the like. If you have to keep it cold you could probably use an insulated bag with some cool packs but I bet there's someone out there who knows far better than I do, I'm the guy who dumps all my pills into a single zip-lock.

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 9, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am not an experienced international traveler but I work in healthcare and I would call the airline directly and see what they advise. Often if you provide a copy of your prescription it's all good. You can use those pop/shake to activate ice packs and bring a few, keep em in a thermal bag and throw a new one in every hour or two if you dont wanna check. The flight attendants might even throw it in their fridge or put it on ice for you if you ask nicely

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Waroduce posted:

My gf and I are going to Italy for 10 days and we ordered a 40L G4Freebackpack and an Outdoor Master 50L off amazon....they were like $20 and 36$ respectively. For 10 days of not hiking and poo poo are these ok? I was originally leaning toward a Kelty Redwing 50L but they were like 100$ and she was bitching at me about how much it was when amazon had cheaper stuff. I'm a bit worried, but just for getting from Cologne to Rome for 10 days and back...should be ok?

Regarding sleeveless t-shirts and the athletic shoes, is it really a bad idea to wear them? The sleeveless I was planning on wearing around Amalfi for walking between the towns and I was going to wear black nike athletic shoes to pretty much everything while bringing a decent pair of dress shoes to wear with jeans at night.

Are you planning on ever using the bags again? For ten days without hiking you could probably get away with a bunch of shopping bags.

I generally don't wear sleeveless (guy) unless I'm at the beach on the assumption that someone will think I'm under dressed, and people treat you better when you're dressed better.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

TequilaJesus posted:

Question for experienced travelers:

I'm going to Europe (Paris and Copenhagen, with a day layover in Reykjavik) for a couple of weeks next year. I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis (I'm not ancient, just an unlucky guy in his 30s,) and have to take a shot of Enbrel once every seven days or I become a loving mess who can't walk very long without severe pain. So I'll need to take, at minimum, one shot of Enbrel in the middle of this trip.

Enbrel comes in pre-filled syringes and needs to be refrigerated. I'll be Air B&B-ing except for the night in Reykjavik, so I'm not worried about storing it while in Europe because there should be refrigerators. What do you recommend for the long flight to Iceland from Seattle? A separate, checked-bag with some ice packs or something? I'm assuming carrying this thing on would be impossible.

You can bring them with you if you declare them. Also, I bet a soft lunchbox with a couple ice packs would work. And then you can collapse the lunchbox and throw out the ice packs of you need space.

I brought a good quality ice pack to Jamaica when I had recently broken my leg and it stayed cold pretty much the entire trip and it was just loose in my backpack and on my leg.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I got to bring some caviar back from Iran when I was there and the flight crew were more than happy to sit that in the fridge for me for the flight. I'd be willing to bet if crew are nice enough to do that for a something as idiotic as fish eggs they'd be willing to do it for medication that lets you walk. Probably best to check with the airline in advance as well though just in case there's an issue with liquids

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Waroduce posted:

Yeah for 10 days you can generally use whatever bags. I spent $110 on a bag at REI in September 2009 and it's still my primary travel bag years and years later. I have at least 100,000 air miles and probably that many miles jammed in the back of some lovely local transport van, pls everything in between. If you don't need to trust it beyond two weeks take the cheapest duffel bag you can find

Edit: actually if you want to beat your girlfriend at the cheap travel bags you guys could just take a dollar worth of thread and sew all your stuff up in a bedsheet like a big taco. I saw some destitute Australians​ doing that once in an airport. After the first 10 stitches or so you get the hang of it I bet and would only take five minutes or so to restitch.

Good travel bags cost a lot but last a lifetime. Cheap ones are single season use at best. Mine still has at least five more years in it.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 10, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I've seen some scummy poo poo and I've done terrible things with pack covers and duct tape but I've never seen a bedsheet taco. My life is poorer for it.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I saw a dude with a small cardboard box in his hands and four straw hats on his head at the airport in Havana

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

j.peeba posted:

I saw a dude with a small cardboard box in his hands and four straw hats on his head at the airport in Havana

The poo poo that goes around the luggage carousel at Marti is a loving wonder to behold. I miss that airport, it's so endearingly bizarre.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Waroduce posted:

40L G4Freebackpack and an Outdoor Master 50L off amazon....they were like $20 and 36$ respectively.
For a once a year traveller, I think cheap bags (with good reviews) are a great choice. If you are planning on an around the world hike or a million air miles a year, you might sink a couple hundred bucks into name brand high-end stuff, but for the once or twice a year vacationer, I really don't think travel gear matters that much.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So how do you guys carry cash when you travel? Are those money belts actually worth it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Waroduce posted:

So how do you guys carry cash when you travel? Are those money belts actually worth it?

It depends where you're going. I carry my cash either in my wallet or with my passport, and I've never had a problem, but then again I've only travelled around western Europe and Cuba.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I used a money belt during my first back packing trip across south east Asia but find it a huge hassle.

Personally I just use ATM cards and some reserve currencies.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I carry a bank card that allows me to pull money out internationally for next to nothing, and carry a smallish amount of money in a wallet. I'm on a bicycle so there's also a bit of money in one of my other bags.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I usually carry $100 USD + passport + debit card in a money belt (old habits die hard) in the big pocket, and then $200 in local currency in the small pocket of the money belt, and $20-50 in my left pocket, cell phone in my right pocket.

I formalized this system on my first international trip and I've never really strayed from it. If I have my money belt I know I have everything I need, and at a moment's notice can pat my front pockets to know if everything else is where it needs to be.

Some people leave their passports etc at the hotel or hostel. It's really up to you and the situation.

Everyone has a different system. The important part is that you have one and keep it consistent and stick with it. The people always losing their money and passports are the people who don't have a system.

Same goes for packing your poo poo, both travel bag and day pack.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Depends on the country. The only country where I needed a lot of cash was Cuba and there it was pretty stressful carrying around $1000-1500 USD, although it's a totally safe country. I kept it scattered among my person and some in my bag.

Everywhere else, I carry like $50 USD equivalent in local currency and use cards wherever possible. I don't think I used cash in Europe once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Those shoulder strap style 'hidden pouches' are terrible because you can always see the strap against your neck so people know to mug you.

I ended up tying one of them to a loop that goes on the belt and the whole pouch gets tucked into my pants near my junk. Aside from a tiny piece if cord the whole thing is invisible. Not uncomfortable unless it's hot ( winter in South America was fine). Then in my pockets I had a phone and lovely wallet with the days cash, an old drivers license and an expired credit card. If I'm. Urged I hand it over and they hopefully think that's all I've got.

Didn't get mugged but it worked for a year and a half straight and I never had anything important stolen.

• Locked thread