Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
On a totally different note - since the mind vs might dual deck spoiler shot has jhoira spoiled in it, is there a reasonable chance to have ancestral visions reprinted in her deck or am I just being too hopeful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Whether or not you think Gideon's getting the ban tomorrow, now's a great time to sell unless you're playing them in Standard. This is the time in a card's cycle through standard when it begins falling.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bunch of people and I finally got out of standard and stopped trading for non-eternal standard cards after the 18mo announcement. I recall a bunch of people switching to eternal formats with the standard cards they had then too. It was a wonderful thing that got lots of us to stop running on the treadmill. The 2-year reinstatement announcement was already too late.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Cat and heart of Kiran should eat the ban. It'd be the funny kill. That or cat, depala and veteran motorist

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002

What would be a reasonable replacement for the horizon canopies? I have everything else and I want to build this.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Like we went from a Standard that was fine for play and diversity but was insanely expensive b/c of 4-color manabases, 4 colors worth of chase rares and mythics, and flip Jace, to a bunch of Standards that've just plain sucked. None of them sucked because of rotation but if the rotation scheme is unpopular you can change the policy a lot faster than you can solve the problem with new cards. But slowing the rotation down also prolongs the impact of all these unbeatable wincons which were supposed to start rotating like... now

Hopefully this is enough of a financial disaster for WotC that they respect the balance of power for real going forward

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

HotBobaloo posted:

What would be a reasonable replacement for the horizon canopies? I have everything else and I want to build this.

Some combination of razorverge thicket, or more fetches/gardens is usually the answer.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Some combination of razorverge thicket, or more fetches/gardens is usually the answer.

Sounds good, thanks

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Banning Cat and unbanning Reflector Mage may save the format while not causing anybody to lose money on cards. Problem solved.

Reflector mage is the hero we need in these Mardu times.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

DangerDongs posted:

Banning Cat and unbanning Reflector Mage may save the format while not causing anybody to lose money on cards. Problem solved.

Reflector mage is the hero we need in these Mardu times.

If that happened, people would find a way to play it in the same deck as unlicensed disintegration.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

wizards are going to reveal themselves to not be cowards and finally unban Frantic Search in legacy, as we've all been clamoring for

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sickening posted:

Sanctimony is a funny card. I had to buy them because I love the color hosers.

I actually beat this card in limited with a GR aggro deck. I don't remember how.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Cool article from Saffron Olive: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/wizards-can-t-ban-away-standard-s-problems-but-they-ll-probably-try

I think he's onto something with the general thesis that bans aren't going to induce diversity. His example of GP results is surprising as I had no idea that finishes were this non-diverse.

It's easier to say what the problem is than it is to say the ideal standard format. In general I favor the formats with a higher power level and good answer (control) cards. It feels like there's more room for innovating.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

HotBobaloo posted:

Not to single you out, but I don't get these questions - it's always 'what is the budget replacement for Horizon Canopy / Noble Hierarch / Thoughtseize' and is it not obvious what the role of the card is in the deck?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, sometimes it's not obvious.

Like, do you replace thoughtsieze with Inquisition, Duress, Fatal Push, or is the deck effectively unplayable without it?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

clamiam45 posted:

Cool article from Saffron Olive: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/wizards-can-t-ban-away-standard-s-problems-but-they-ll-probably-try

I think he's onto something with the general thesis that bans aren't going to induce diversity. His example of GP results is surprising as I had no idea that finishes were this non-diverse.

It's easier to say what the problem is than it is to say the ideal standard format. In general I favor the formats with a higher power level and good answer (control) cards. It feels like there's more room for innovating.

I agree with the majority of that article, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out but I think there will be some very valuable takeaways from this standard about the importance of answers.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
if the solution to magic's problems is "stop caring so much about branding" then i got bad news

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

I mean, sometimes it's not obvious.

Like, do you replace thoughtsieze with Inquisition, Duress, Fatal Push, or is the deck effectively unplayable without it?

That one is certainly a bit more of a meta call, but it's not like people are running horizon canopy because they want cantrips so you can swap them for serum visions

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unban everything, reprint Hero's Downfall and Wrath of God in Amonkhet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Siivola posted:

Unban everything, ban Magic players.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

clamiam45 posted:

The funny thing is, the numbers he brings up are insanely bad, but they don't even take into account GP Barcelona (four Mardu Vehicles and four Saheeli) and GP New Jersey (Four Mardu Vehicles, three Saheeli, and one Jund Energy that immediately got crushed in the top 8). Out of the first four post-Pro Tour GPs, we've had a grand total of four decks make Top 8, one of which appears to have disappeared and one of which is a flash-in-the-pan rogue deck that immediately folded.

My favorite is his comparing the 2016 MOCS, which had four decks (one of which did terribly) in the top 16, to one of the post-Fate Reforged GPs, which had five different decks in the top 8. Even with the fake deck and twice as many slots, this standard is less diverse than the Rhino Nightmare period.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Not to single you out, but I don't get these questions - it's always 'what is the budget replacement for Horizon Canopy / Noble Hierarch / Thoughtseize' and is it not obvious what the role of the card is in the deck?

It's obvious that it is a W/G land, yes, but optimally would it be Razorverge, fetch, one forest one plains, etc? I have all the other money cards, but never played in the block that Canopy was printed in, just before and after. I can't justify spending $120 for a deck I may not play for very long. Part of the strategy for that deck includes Crucible of Worlds, so Horizon Canopy might just be too important for the deck to not have them. I assumed it was a straight swap for Razorverge, but it might be fetch for the Crucible synergy. Just wanted opinions from people who play more Magic than I do, I'm just at FNM level.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

What time does the world end anyway? 10EST?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

suicidesteve posted:

What time does the world end anyway? 10EST?

Now now, there's a slim chance they don't ban Opal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Now isn't a bad morning to pick up Spirebluff Canal. People are trying to dump pieces of the saheeli deck and some are showing up on tcgplayer for less than 5 bucks shipped. I just got a playset for 17 bucks. If its not banned it probably won't be that low for a little bit, if it is it could go lower in a hurry.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Where's the announcement?!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

80s James Hetfield posted:

I think in 45 minutes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

Usually between 10-11 cst.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/march-13-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-03-13

This is the page you can f5 on.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It's probably at 11 EST? That's when new articles go up on their site.

Sickening posted:

Now isn't a bad morning to pick up Spirebluff Canal. People are trying to dump pieces of the saheeli deck and some are showing up on tcgplayer for less than 5 bucks shipped. I just got a playset for 17 bucks. If its not banned it probably won't be that low for a little bit, if it is it could go lower in a hurry.

Yeah a couple of each new fastland are on my to-get list, especially Botanical Sanctum which seems really low right now. I guess no one is really playing it in Standard?

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Oh, I thought it was 10AM.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

No changes

Announcement Date: March 13, 2017

No changes to any format.

quote:

R&D met earlier this month to review several formats—notably Standard and Vintage—and discuss competitive play balance. While several issues were raised and discussed, it was concluded that the best move for all formats was to leave things as they are while continuing to monitor and gather data over the coming weeks and months.

For Standard, there has emerged a Big Three—Mardu Vehicles, Black-Green Constrictor, and various Felidar Guardian/Saheeli Rai decks. While having three top-tier decks isn't unusual, we were concerned that they could be so strong as to crowd out all other decks. In particular, we looked closely at the effect Felidar Guardian has on a format when it can be used in a game-ending combo. However, at Grand Prix Utrecht we began to see some movement in the format—particularly the rise of Temur Dynavolt Tower as a potential addition to that upper echelon. With that kind of movement in the format, we thought it best to gather more data—including more Grand Prix and the inclusion of Amonkhet at the Pro Tour—while watching the format continue to shift before making any changes.

In Modern, we've just come off two very exciting Grand Prix in Vancouver and Brisbane that saw Death's Shadow rise to the top, but a variety of decks put up strong results. While Modern certainly has its share of powerful cards, the format is in a spot right now that players seem to greatly enjoy.

For Vintage, data is often difficult to gather because the sample size is so small. However, we have a large data set coming with the European Eternal Weekend Vintage Championship at the beginning of April. We'll be watching that tournament closely. For now, we are watching the results, and continuing to listen to feedback from the community.

As such, there are no changes to any formats at this time.

Walked fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 13, 2017

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Oh boy, time to continue playing Death's Shadow and to look more thoroughly into UR Emerge.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well I didn't see that coming.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Walked posted:

No changes

Announcement Date: March 13, 2017

No changes to any format.

And the crowd goes mild...

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
RIP Standard Attendance

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Walked posted:

For Standard, there has emerged a Big Three—Mardu Vehicles, Black-Green Constrictor, and various Felidar Guardian/Saheeli Rai decks. While having three top-tier decks isn't unusual, we were concerned that they could be so strong as to crowd out all other decks. In particular, we looked closely at the effect Felidar Guardian has on a format when it can be used in a game-ending combo. However, at Grand Prix Utrecht we began to see some movement in the format—particularly the rise of Temur Dynavolt Tower as a potential addition to that upper echelon. With that kind of movement in the format, we thought it best to gather more data—including more Grand Prix and the inclusion of Amonkhet at the Pro Tour—while watching the format continue to shift before making any changes.

If the meta continues crystallizing as it is, I think they might ban things pre-Amonkhet (unlike what they write here: bans after the PT).

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I'm fine with them leaving the format be (though banning a format-warping infinite combo in Standard would be completely justified obviously); what's weirder is squaring away this B&R with the last one where they erred on the much more liberal side of "banning cards just for being good".

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
I do appreciate them actually taking the time to mention/look at Vintage.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Buy your Ponders now people, it's definitely happening next time. (repeat every three months)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

ThePeavstenator posted:

Buy your Ponders now people, it's definitely happening next time. (repeat every three months)

LOL at people who don't already own a playset of textless Ponders

• Locked thread