Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well to be fair, how many minority groups have actually gotten reparations, apologies, or hell even just a few convictions of the people who were in charge of the atrocities committed against those minorities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Well to be fair, how many minority groups have actually gotten reparations, apologies, or hell even just a few convictions of the people who were in charge of the atrocities committed against those minorities?

Most of the time they're lucky if it's even acknowledged.

Off the top of my head all I can think of is the Nuremberg trials. I think the UK apologized for their treatment of India, but only like, within the last few years.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah that was my point. To my awareness the Jews are the only group who EVER got anything back in anything resembling a satisfactory level. And three generations later they are turning into that which they most feared.

I mean holy gently caress, watch "The Act of Killing" if you want to know how it has been in pretty much every other instance of genocide and war atrocities, well, for all of history.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

coyo7e posted:

To my awareness the Jews are the only group who EVER got anything back in anything resembling a satisfactory level. And three generations later they are turning into that which they most feared.

:yikes:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

empty baggie posted:

From the way his face looked during that interview, it seems that John may have gotten a bit sunburned on the walk to see the Dalai Lama.

He's British, he's lucky if he doesn't burst into flame in NYC on a cool midsummer's day.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

He's right though? Read much on I&P?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Yeah, I honestly struggled making that initial post for like three iterations because, no matter how I carved it up, there is one very fortunate son in what seems to be all of the history of atrocities that I'm aware of. I'm not saying that anyone profited by being Jewish and surviving the loving nazis but seriously, three generations later and their grandchildren are totally stoked to admit that "all palestinians must die" to reporters. And settlements I mean come on.

I know an older palestinian woman who keeps trying to put up a pro-BDS table at the local hippy saturday faire, and a group of big jewish dudes ALWAYS show up within an hour or two, surround her table with israeli flags (like, you cannot even see her table), and call her an anti-semite.

I mean that's not the tactics of the oppressed being enacted for the betterment of everyone, intimidating an old lady handing out pamphlets about lifting sanctions on stuff going into Palestine. I mean "concrete" is one of the things you cannot import, and I'm sorry but without concrete, people are going to basically be forced to live in third-world conditions.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 12, 2017

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Die Sexmonster! posted:

It is a subject that any answer is the equivalent of stepping on a landmine that trips off several other landmines that also have landmines built inside of them

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Servaetes posted:

It is a subject that any answer is the equivalent of stepping on a landmine that trips off several other landmines that also have landmines built inside of them

So essentially the Palestinian Experience.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Oh Snapple! posted:

too real

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Die Sexmonster! posted:

"Jews" and "Israelis" aren't the same exact thing. And even then there's a difference between I&P and people centuries ago blaming the plague on Jews because they didn't die in massive enough numbers to satisfy people.

And besides, both sides are right to be scared as gently caress of our current assholes ascendant, who hate both of them because that means base voters.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The exploding Samsungs have me in stitches.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Was the voiceover in the Samsung commercial Justin Roiland from Rick and Morty?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

lifts cats over head posted:

Was the voiceover in the Samsung commercial Justin Roiland from Rick and Morty?

No, it was Rob Cordry.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I loving loved this episode. TAKE IT DOWN. Better.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay the newswoman from the weeping angel clip was on-point, and the best they could come up with is "john wanks a lot and she'd sounds cray-cray on another day." Nice.

"She should deliver all of the news" - and Oliver should stop taking cheap misogynist shots when there are larger issues at play. I mean the carpenter thing was so out of date I was like "wait, what? Haven't you seen one of those videos about japanese woodcutters and their crazy dovetail joints? seriously? I couldn't be that expensive to insert one of those videos instead of a loving dollhouse"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Mar 13, 2017

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

coyo7e posted:

Not that it's substantive or particularly meaningful, but Australia and Canada have both formally apologized for "stolen generation" / "forced adoption" policies those countries enacted against Aboriginal Australian and First Nations communities (100 years too late, clearly.)

I'm not aware of any reparations or actual, meaningful action that's resulted from those statements, but it's an answer to your question.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

coyo7e posted:

Well. I mean, define minority group. I've heard argument over there being such a thing as an ethnic Jew at all. But hey, if you mean religious minority, historically the Christians have done remarkably well since their humble beginnings in the Roman empire.

My point being that the whole conversation is so sticky (as previously mentioned) that it should probably just be avoided outside of D&D entirely.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
hah, oh yeah, the whole thing is erroneous anyways since israel is still a proxy state of the US. :patriot:

e: woka waka

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

You get that... right?
Right?
Right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

coyo7e posted:

you are actually doubling down on this

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

Yeah that was my point. To my awareness the Jews are the only group who EVER got anything back in anything resembling a satisfactory level. And three generations later they are turning into that which they most feared.

Japanese Americans received reparations of something like $1.5 billion for the WWII internment camps atrocity. Now whether you think that's really enough or money can make up for what was done or if taking 50 years to do anything is ok is another story, but it's certainly an example. Probably one of very few as it's such a comparatively small group, so making amends isn't as costly as doing so for, say, slavery.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Okay, let's say for a moment you are totally correct. What's your point or the usefulness of that little nugget of information?

Example:
Climate is changing for the worse -> We should acknowledge this in our policymaking and planning

Coyote:
The jews are privileged -> __________

e: If we are yo fill in the blank with "Grant Palestinian land and rights more firmly" or some other solution that helps Palestinian interests, that in itself is possibly good. Focusing on jewish privilege or whatever term you're fishing for to arrive at Palestinian needs is needlessly roundabout.

Drawing comparisons between how different groups live now has nothing to do with how they got there if the true goal of discourse and political action is equality and justice for all. It is not expedient to invite the kind of pitfalls that come with saying, "Well, the Jews had their chance, just look at all the reparations they got."

Palestine is in a poo poo place, its people are in a poo poo place. If we truly value all people equally, that's the bottom line right there and all that is needed to justify modification of our foreign policy. There is nothing served by mixing in ancillary messages that so easily and often are hijacked by antisemitic coding.

e2 vvvvvvvvvvvv exactly my brainwave here. We run the risk of getting distracted by messages of destruction if we build arguments on the wrong foundations

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 13, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, let's say for a moment you are totally correct. What's your point or the usefulness of that little nugget of information?

Example:
Climate is changing for the worse -> We should acknowledge this in our policymaking and planning

Coyote:
The jews are privileged -> __________

Jews must be put back in their place.

WAIT poo poo NO THAT WASN'T MEANT TO BE OUT LOUD

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Yknow when I mentioned the :yikes: it probably should have just let it be left with that

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
(ignores everything above)

So anyways, John Oliver brought up Samsung's past problems, and didn't even mention its mess with South Korea's president.

Also, it's kind of telling (and flat out encouraging if you're rooting against Donald) that Trump has deferred so much to Paul Ryan and congressional republicans with health care. Months ago, I thought Trump would do more lip service when it comes to pivoting against GOP orthodoxy on welfare before capitulating to it. But that capitulation to Paul Ryan happened much quicker than I imagined.

I've been thinking a lot about the "regime" model of understanding the history of the presidency, and I'm kind of hoping Trump ends up being a disjunctive president. If the GOP's confusion with health care holds (though there's still a good chance it won't), it'd be a clear sign that Republicans are still a mess even though they're in power all across the country.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well their problem is that they put themselves in this mess, because "who would have thought healthcare would be complicated?!"

To lower people's premiums you need to do one of two things, subsidize healthcare costs in some way (the sane way is single payer, the unsustainable dumb way is the mandate), or cut costs but not covering sick and poor people. As republicans, the former is anathema, and as it turns out, taking away healthcare makes people angry.

So it's pretty much what was predicted 7 years ago. People will come to like obamacare once they have healthcare and it becomes a real shitshow for republicans now that they can actually repeal it like they said they wanted to.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Echo Chamber posted:

(ignores everything above)

So anyways, John Oliver brought up Samsung's past problems, and didn't even mention its mess with South Korea's president.

Might be waiting the week for her to actually get arrested. That'll be the coup du grace of that shitshow of a story.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Anybody else a little peeved about how dismissive John was about the CIA stuff? I mean, he's probably right about it being overblown, but of course we should be wary of CIA overreach. It doesn't have to be a left vs. right issue.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

El Jeffe posted:

Anybody else a little peeved about how dismissive John was about the CIA stuff? I mean, he's probably right about it being overblown, but of course we should be wary of CIA overreach. It doesn't have to be a left vs. right issue.

It isn't. but he is also right.

None of what was leaked is anything you don't want the CIA to be doing, provided they are following the law which, as John correctly points out, prevents them from doing so domestically. It's kind of their job. And if anyone thinks the FSB et al. aren't doing the same they're being awfully naive.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, that's essentially it. This is what we are paying the CIA to do and nothing in the leaks point to then using these programs domestically. This is what intelligence does.

That said, when it comes to compromising software, the cat is out of the bag now and their techniques could be used by actors that aren't constrained by the law. So that portion of it is troubling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Solvent posted:

Well. I mean, define minority group. I've heard argument over there being such a thing as an ethnic Jew at all. But hey, if you mean religious minority, historically the Christians have done remarkably well since their humble beginnings in the Roman empire.

My point being that the whole conversation is so sticky (as previously mentioned) that it should probably just be avoided outside of D&D entirely.
Seems pretty simple.

Abrahamic religions get paid. Everybody else gets hosed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Japanese Americans received reparations of something like $1.5 billion for the WWII internment camps atrocity. Now whether you think that's really enough or money can make up for what was done or if taking 50 years to do anything is ok is another story, but it's certainly an example. Probably one of very few as it's such a comparatively small group, so making amends isn't as costly as doing so for, say, slavery.
You mean the aggressors who bombed pearl Harbor? Yeah not the same thing as being a minority who suffered genocide or pogroms etc

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

coyo7e posted:

You mean the aggressors who bombed pearl Harbor? Yeah not the same thing as being a minority who suffered genocide or pogroms etc

Sending a huge group of people off to camps, without bringing charges against them in a court of law, is a huge violation of human rights. That it wasn't AS BAD as loving genocide doesn't make it okay. And honestly some of those camps weren't the paradises the government made them out to be.

Japanese Americans also didn't bomb Pearl Harbor.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

coyo7e posted:

You can't be serious.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I know I'm bandwagoning on the coyote the train here but :siren: :allbuttons: :siren:

On the subject of lwt itself, what's HBO's monetization scheme here? I can see all the good 20min segments on Youtube shortly after they air. Ad money?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

I know I'm bandwagoning on the coyote the train here but :siren: :allbuttons: :siren:

On the subject of lwt itself, what's HBO's monetization scheme here? I can see all the good 20min segments on Youtube shortly after they air. Ad money?

John himself has said that nobody has been able to adequately explain it to him so it's entirely possible that nobody knows.

For some reason the latest season videos on YouTube are not visible outside the US now, which wasn't the case for previous seasons.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

notthegoatseguy posted:

Japanese Americans also didn't bomb Pearl Harbor.

Everyone knows it was the Germans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Potato Salad posted:

HBO's finances are based on some kind of voodoo ritual that tells them that a show drives subscriptions. Nobody can figure out their reasoning but it's clearly working.

• Locked thread